Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: an odd comeback, looking for instructional value  (Read 1737 times)

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
an odd comeback, looking for instructional value
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:12 pm »
+1

Here's kind of an odd game that I'm puzzling for instructional value. I can't tell if either of us did anything particularly right or wrong, or if it just kind of happened.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150107/log.5319f973e4b08c4b63260c65.1420654047801.txt

The kingdom was

Code: [Select]
Doctor, Fishing Village, Advisor, Marauder, Militia, Noble Brigand, Festival, Soothsayer, Vault, PeddlerPlatinum, Ruins

I was playing pretty light-heartedly, and just kind of thought I would go with Doctor, as it was the only trasher (and I opened 5/2), and that FV, Peddler, Festival and Vault would provide enough economy, perhaps allowing me to skip Gold and go straight to Platinum. I enjoy trying to win without attacks, so I skipped those.

However, I felt like I was pretty unlucky with Doctor (or I didn't track well enough), and thought at the time that I was behind for most of the game and that he was building the better deck, though obviously I question this in retrospect.

The main lessons that seem plausible to me:

• Doctor is pretty powerful, even if it's not trashing multiple cards, especially when you add on the value of setting up your next hand/draw
  • Soothsayer is especially weak in Colony kingdoms
  • Militia's hand size reduction is significantly weakened against a thinner deck
  • My opponent didn't start greening early enough, and might have been able to win if he had (though on looking back, he maybe didn't have the economy to do so
  • Spending a turn burning $13 on a Doctor+Overpay was probably worth it, though I'm unsure if it was a game-changer

Or, maybe it was just mostly luck. Any thoughts on optimizing play here?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:09:34 pm by bardo »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: an odd comeback, looking for instructional value
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:04:08 pm »
+3

On your main lessons: Doctor is an okay card in general but I wouldn't call it powerful, but the trashing is very nice on this board. Agree about Soothsayer. The Militia is less harmful, but he is rarely playing Militia anyway (6 times), if you build a deck that draws itself and plays Militia every turn the attack still hurts.

My ideal deck looks a bit like yours, only I am getting as many Advisors as I can (until I'm drawing my whole deck). I would skip Gold entirely (looks worse than Festival). Probably only 1 Vault (but maybe more if the draw is needed). And 1 Militia and/or 1 Marauder depending heavily on what my opponent is doing. I would look to build until I can double Colony at least.

You can almost guarantee building your ideal deck eventually because the attacks/Colonies make the game last long enough to get there.

One synergy available here that wasn't taken advantage of (I think): if you draw your whole deck then Vault can discard junk which can be immediately trashed with Doctor.

Marauder outclasses Soothsayer here by giving out junk which is more difficult to hit with Doctor, you'd really prefer the disappearing Spoils over Gold, and you don't want to draw cards for your opponent.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »

Main lesson here is that opponent played terribly. He should buy colony on turns 15, 17 and buy gold instead peddler. Also he played doctor that caused his platinum miss a shuffle.

As junking goes its that single soothsayer in fat deck is not very noticable. Junkers are unskippable if played properly.

That means opening marauder/silver adding soothsayer/marauder on second shuffle and you would have trouble trying to trash with doctor.

Advisor looks bad as it will likely draw junk, junk, something good hands.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »

Once you hit a critical mass of Advisors, it often becomes something like junk, Advisor, good card, and it turns out that the raw number of cards you draw wins out over poor draw quality.

It's the only reliable way to increase hand size here, Festival/Vault or Fishing Village/Vault can't draw enough cards by itself. As Mic said, it's a Colony game, so you have a long time to build up the engine. Besides, you have Doctor for trashing, and you only need 1 Vault to make all those junk cards from Advisor into money.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »

Once you hit a critical mass of Advisors, it often becomes something like junk, Advisor, good card, and it turns out that the raw number of cards you draw wins out over poor draw quality.
That is still not enough to make advisors work as obvious play here is discard advisor. You need drawer to draw more advisors and as only cantrip is peddler/ruined library its hard to get necessary mass so you could draw your deck so you could use doctor to thin deck.

It's the only reliable way to increase hand size here, Festival/Vault or Fishing Village/Vault can't draw enough cards by itself. As Mic said, it's a Colony game, so you have a long time to build up the engine. Besides, you have Doctor for trashing, and you only need 1 Vault to make all those junk cards from Advisor into money.

But you don't have enough time. With peddlers and ruins gone oponent will use advisors to win on piles before you could reach critical mass.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:13:29 pm »

The time it takes for both Ruins and Peddlers to run out is more than enough.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 20 queries.