Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: This is me getting out.  (Read 7847 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
This is me getting out.
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:40:42 am »

I'm withdrawing from the league.

I was hesitant to join in the first place. The fact that some games would actually matter made me nervous. What if I had fantastic luck for most of the day and just happened to strike out when I'm playing for the league? But there was enough pressure that I went ahead and joined anyway. I now realize that that was a mistake.

I'm a sore loser. I don't like to see myself at the bottom of anything. So when I played my first two matches, being top ranked in my division was the only thing that kept me in. Then last night's match happened. I lost 4/2. And I literally couldn't pinpoint what made me lose. What's worse, no one in my twitch chat would tell me. They let me go on screaming and crying, begging for advice, without giving me any actual help. I don't want that to ever happen again. You can say "it's just a game" until your voice gives out, but it won't do anything. As long as some games actually "count" for something, that will never be true. Plus, the backlash and blackmail that could come from that video being shared is too terrifying to think about.

So my best chance is to get out. To the people who already played me - sorry for wasting your time. To the people who haven't played me yet - one thing off your list. It's better if from now on I stick to games where I know I, and everyone watching me, can just have fun.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
Re: This is me getting out.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:54:58 am »

The decision is fine, of course.

What's worse, no one in my twitch chat would tell me. They let me go on screaming and crying, begging for advice, without giving me any actual help.
was this during or after the set? I think people aren't comfortable giving advice while it's still going (even if it is after individual games) because it's cheating, right? Maybe it was also not clear how serious you have been.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:58:00 am »

The decision is fine, of course.

What's worse, no one in my twitch chat would tell me. They let me go on screaming and crying, begging for advice, without giving me any actual help.
was this during or after the set? I think people aren't comfortable giving advice while it's still going (even if it is after individual games) because it's cheating, right? Maybe it was also not clear how serious you have been.
After. The only time I saw an answer to "What did I do wrong?" or "Why did I lose that?" was after the very first game, where I already knew the answer.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:26 am »

Most of the time, people discussed the games during the games and the answers were already there when you asked.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:31 am »
+2

If you want to drop out, that is your business, don't worry about it. (I did the same for the record)

Keep in mind, though (with regards to the above discussion) that the majority of players do not stream or get any advice on their play at all, so I wouldn't stress on that point so much.  You can post games on the forum and ask for advice/analysis if there's one you're confused about.

Also, losing 4-2 is not that bad!  that's one away from tying.  In my last League set,  am pretty sure I lost one game 6-0 and two 5-1, so clearly I'm a bigger loser than you.  You have improved dramatically from what you showed in your first streams, if it's any consolation.  These things just take time unless you're a genius like IWB.  The league is a good place to practice if you want to get better, and being in the bottom divisions means you don't have anything to lose anyway.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:12 am »
+3

Sounds like you need to find a good player and have him let you win!

My brother's 4yo daughter has this habit of bursting into tears whenever a game isn't going entirely her way. I laugh it off and tease her about acting like a baby, inquiring whether she needs mommy to bring her a bottle and a blanket. Predictably, she responds with anger, which is only fuel for further ridicule: "Oooh, how sweet! You can't handle a bit of teasing?" She moans and groans some more, but eventually returns to the game, a little wiser.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:38 am »
+3

As much as I appreciate the feedback, I'm not changing my decision. For now, I need to keep playing only semi-seriously and train myself both in playing the game and losing graciously. I'm not going to feel comfortable in the league until I master both of those things, and I'm sure that people on the forum will help me in achieving that because this is such a supportive community and I don't want to let it go.

There's also the struggle of having to disappoint my parents while I'm home on break. I really don't like telling them about my "appointments on the internet" and I can tell they disapprove, so I don't want to do that to them while I'm home.

So, thanks for everything, but I'd still like to have my results removed from the standings as soon as possible. I apologize to division E.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:35 am »
+1

Consider the lives of tennis players. Each week they all turn up at a tournament and all but one of them is going to finish their week with a loss. Few of them are even going to win more matches than they lose. For a grand slam tennis event there are about 200 eventual losers for just one overall winner.

Just for the record I looked at a few of the games I think you wanted feedback on:

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20150103/log.53ddf71fe4b09f0d8fe135bc.1420341689773.txt - Your opponent starts this off better with two masquerades and treasures. The village isn't needed immediately.

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20150103/log.53ddf71fe4b09f0d8fe135bc.1420340926038.txt - This could be played as simply as ill-gotten gains with duchies and free duchesses. Moneylenders don't come into it.

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20150103/log.53ddf71fe4b09f0d8fe135bc.1420339457773.txt - This can again could be played as simply as two soothsayers with treasures. The fancier stuff can come into it if the timing is right. Your early feast needed to gain the second soothsayer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:09:08 pm by DG »

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »
+2

...For now, I need to ... train myself both in playing the game and losing graciously. I'm not going to feel comfortable in the league until I master both of those things...

At the risk of sounding like your father: please KNOW that if, at your age, you can come to this realization, formulate a plan to get you to your goal, and have the courage to implement that plan, all borne of respect for your own internal experience and the experiences of your loved ones, then you ABSOLUTELY have all the tools you will ever need to be wildly successful in anything you choose.

Thank you for such a wonderful reminder of what grace really is.

Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:56:37 pm »
+4

So proud of you

Oy pa', stop embarrassing me in front of all my friends!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:47 pm »
+2

There's also the struggle of having to disappoint my parents while I'm home on break. I really don't like telling them about my "appointments on the internet" and I can tell they disapprove, so I don't want to do that to them while I'm home.

Just my opinion, but I think you're old enough to pick your own vacation leisure activities.  If your parents don't like it, tell them about the all-night keg party you could have gone to instead.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »
+2

I know the feeling. I still live at home and it bothers me sometimes too, thinking that people disapprove. But don't put too much pressure on yourself because of this. It's a game you enjoy, so enjoy it. I don't know what level of education you're at (highschool, university), but for me the best thing this december was to alternate between my essay and drawing work and the games I play. I enjoy both, so why not spend my time doing those things? So what if someone disapproves? As long as it doesn't turn you into a rage machine (which you're already avoiding by exiting the league), it's totally cool.

At some point you'll meet people who don't disapprove of playing games, or being in tournaments online. Not just on this forum, but in real life.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:00 pm »
+2

As a member of group E, I enjoyed playing against you (even though you beat me 4-2) and will miss you.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
+1

As a member of group E, I enjoyed playing against you (even though you beat me 4-2) and will miss you.

I am sorry Hydrad, but I just found someone more adorable than you.

Jamfamsam, you just moved to the top of my need-to-adopt list.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:44 am »

Do you take applications?
Posting begets posting.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:08 am »
+1

I would also like to remove myself from the league!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:34:39 am »
+6

What drives you to such a decision?

Was it                                          Moat                                                                                                                                                               ?
Posting begets posting.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:25 am »
+1

I will let you know if I become available for adoption.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:52 am »

One thing Ela may have overlooked is that we often play regular games in 2P and them run tournaments in 4P. Excuse my ignorance if this is not the case in this situation. Playing 4P drastically alters tempo, strategy, player order advantage, and attack strength as compared to 2P.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:41 am »

One thing Ela may have overlooked is that we often play regular games in 2P and them run tournaments in 4P. Excuse my ignorance if this is not the case in this situation. Playing 4P drastically alters tempo, strategy, player order advantage, and attack strength as compared to 2P.

Really? I haven't participated in a lot of tournaments, but I've never played a Dominion tournament with anything but 2P games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 11:40:09 am »

Really? I haven't participated in a lot of tournaments, but I've never played a Dominion tournament with anything but 2P games.

I know the British Dominion Championships are 4p base games, so no-one on here attends. But Dominion League is 2p, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:55 am »

I dunno, I haven't competed since isotropic was the format but they were definitely 4P games then, at least until the final brackets. Nevermind...
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 12:36:27 pm »
+1

I will let you know if I become available for adoption.

Sure, I can wait.

Do you take applications?

Definitely! Please send the following documentation to coolmcawesome@rad.com:
-first and last name.
-birth date.
-city of birth.
-current address.
-a copy of your passport.
-a copy of your birth certificate.
-favourite food. It has to be spaghetti alla bolognese (but pizza is also accepted).
-an account of all the adorable acts you have performed during the previous two years, certified by a notary public.
-a certificate of suitability for adoption.
-up to three drawings with pastel crayons.
-two references from your professional or academic background. They must relate how your lovability has uplifted their lives.
-your vaccine certificate. No need to apply if you haven't received the rabies vaccine.
-language proficiency in English and two of the following: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Swahili, Silbo Gomero, Klingon, Hodor, Binary.
-a motivation letter.
-a statement of purpose.
-a statement of interest.
-a picture of yourself with a dog. Preferably a very large and furry one.
-59.95$ to process the application.

EDIT: due to the large number of applications that I receive, I cannot guarantee answering all applications. Should your application be rejected, I will not be able to give the reasons for the decision. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Once you have completed your application, I would be grateful if you could take a quick questionnaire on how you found out about this adoption scheme. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:42:22 pm by pacovf »

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:47 pm »
+1

Wow, I thought you were going to make it hard or something.  That's easier than getting a TS clearance.

However, the makes it clear I have to disqualify myself.  I met all your criteria but one. I have no pastel crayons.  It makes me sad.
Posting begets posting.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.