Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: fun kingdoms/kingdom design  (Read 1766 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
fun kingdoms/kingdom design
« on: January 02, 2015, 03:21:02 pm »
+1

Just wanted to have a place to show some kingdoms that were fun

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Apothecary, Develop, Advisor, Bureaucrat, Conspirator, Plaza, Count, Nobles, King's Court + colonieshttp://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150102/log.5075b25251c30da02a09b898.1420229497874.txt

strong engine lacking +buy.  The only real gainer is develop, but with such a strong engine, and good actions at 2,3 (develop only),4,5,6, and 7, develop is really good here.  I went for apothecary and my opponent went for nobles.  Not sure which is right, but i lost big time.  I'm thinking the kingdom might be a little more interesting without colonies?  or something that makes it easier to get to colony earlier, e.g. a smithy variant?  How would you tweak the kingdom for maximum fun points? 

(PS, i suggested that a whole sub-forum be devoted to kingdom design.  i dno if people just aren't interested or if the forum feedback subforum gets no traffic, but if you like that idea or have comments on it, I invite you to say so here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12078.0)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: fun kingdoms/kingdom design
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:59:24 pm »

A few kingdoms I've designed:

cellar, doctor, sage, coppersmith, procession, herald, tactician, cultist, outpost, hunting grounds (estates/colony)

stonemason, scheme, warehouse, hermit, Jack of All Trades, Feodum, Counterfeit, Highway, Golem, Possession (shelters/provinces)

crossroads, village, pirate ship, remake, saboteur, throne room, workshop, secret chamber, border village, ambassador (estates/provinces)

I'd be happy to play any of these with anyone if they have the cards (I don't and have never played these kingdoms).

Posting these here because we don't have a subforum where I could otherwise post it...

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: fun kingdoms/kingdom design
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
Herbalist, Masquerade, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Trader, Worker's Village, Graverobber, Library, Market, Upgrade, + Estateshttp://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150114/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1421258882538.txt

Had a fun game here with an interesting kingdom.  With Masque on the board, Hag is basically out, at least until end-game.  Library and Masque were the only draw, but Library has some good support here, with moneylender, hag, and, most notably, graverobber.  GR provides an alternative payload.  In the end, Moneylender saw hardly any play, and treasure won the day with 4 WV's (to be precise, the winnnig deck was a draw engine with treasure as payload and a bit of GR for end-game control).  Among the things to like about this board are that you basically can't open Sea Hag, but it might become useful later on, at least as an upgrade target, plus it does reduce handsize.

After we played, theblankman and I discussed the kingdom, which we both thoroughly enjoyed.  We basically agreed that you need some gold in ur deck.

We talked about things that would make the kingdom more interesting.  The most obvious things are that the herbalist and the trader have no place in any reasonable strategy here, so they're out.  What do we put in?

Masquerade is v powerful here, but it always is, and we thought if we took it out Moneylender would shine.  Upgrade makes Moneylender much more viable - even getting a secnod one isn't terrible if you hit duoble 4 on the first reshuffle.  Second, a good non-terminal $4 helps upgrade a lot.  Mining Village works pretty well - you can trash it and then regain it with GR and seed your next hand with a village in the meantime.  (This isn't super powerful or anything, it's like village+silver+scheme, but it's an option.) 

So, Masque out and and MV in, still leaves two slots open.  Two reasonable options would be oasis and oracle.  Alternatively, you could replace the MV with hamlet and then add caravan or spy or something.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.