Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MedioEvo Universalis - Boardgame prototype  (Read 26902 times)

Veldriss

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
MedioEvo Universalis - Boardgame prototype
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:48:18 am »
+2

Let me introduce a boardgame prototype, general management, set in the second half of the thirteenth century.
The first version of the historical prototype I created a few years ago (1999), then in 2007 I showed for the first time to the public and since then I have constantly updated and fixed, both aesthetic and mechanical game.

I called MedioEvo Universalis (the word "universalis" used because you can manage your kingdom in all aspects).

A couple of photos:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:49:27 am by Veldriss »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: MedioEvo Universalis - Boardgame prototype
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:43 am »

Oooooh.

(Is it suitable for PBF?)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:38:50 am »
+1

Designer: Nicola Iannone (Paolo Bertollo, Simone Silini, Paolo Mazza)
Artist: Nicola Iannone, Omar Savoldelli, La Figlia del Brigante
Publisher: prototype (Self-published)
Year Published: prototype looking for publisher

Numper of Players: 3-5 SET BASE (max 10 players with SET EXPANSION)
Suggested Ages: 14+
Playing Time: 240 minutes or more
Language Dependence: Extensive use of text - massive conversion needed to be playable
Category: Civilization, Economic, Medieval, Miniatures, Negotiation, Religious, Wargame
Mechanic: Area Movement, Auction/Bidding, Dice Rolling, Partnerships, Simultaneous Action Selection, Trading, Variable Phase Order
Primary Name: MedioEvo Universalis
Subtitle: Game of commerce, diplomacy, strategy and conquest
Mail: nikianno@alice.it

LIST OF COMPONENTS: (hypothetical, to be assessed with the publishing house)
1 MAP OF THE GAME
63 MEANS OF TRANSPORT
15 MEANS OF SIEGE
12 CATHEDRAL / MOSQUES
22 CIVIL BUILDINGS
80 MILITARY BUILDINGS
175 ARMY OF PLAYERS
45 OF ARMED barbaric
22 DICE
96 GOODS
300 COINS
150 TOKENS
6 DECKS OF CARDS (EMPIRE, TECHNOLOGY, EVENTS, CALAMITY, TREASURE, TARGET)
5 TABLE OF PLAYERS
5 PANELS OF PLAYERS
5 SHEETS OF PLAYERS

MedioEvo Universalis is a management boardgame set in the second half of the thirteenth century. Players will have to manage one of the great Kingdoms, developing a commercial network, improving the technological evolution and weaving diplomatic pacts with other players. Many unforeseen events, including random events, disasters and barbaric peoples hinder military conquests and the creation of an Empire.

MAIN CHARACTERISTICS:

- Number of players: 3-5 with BASE box, 6-10 with EXPANSION box. Added the "dead", which has rules to reinforce himself, attack and rebel territories of players poor defended.

- Terrain: various types of terrain combined with city's fortifications and technologies give modifiers for movements and overpopulation.

- Trade: players have at their disposal sea and land transportations to trade 8 types of goods in 36 cities on the map to earn florins.

- Technological advancement: 38 technologies deployed in 6 families on a maximum of 4 levels improve their Reign in economy, trade, military and diplomacy. These technologies implement the features of other playing cards or allow to protect yourself from Calamities.

- Very rare events: calamities can disrupt and modify a lot all strategies... If the player is prepared, he will able to survive almost unscathed, otherwise ...

- Random Events: a series of positive and negative random events, but less catastrophic, will hit the various areas of land or sea in which the map is divided: storms, missions required by the Pope, tournaments between players, merchants who offer trade … etc.

- Development: the player has the opportunity to expand their cities, increase the fortifications and defenses, armies, military and commercial transport... and more.

- Playing cards: allow to improve armies and defenses, the construction of fortifications, taxes, diplomacy, the purchase of new mercenary's armies ... etc.

- Combat: the combination of technologies with the card game allows you to get a bonus set of modifiers during battles... and how about a nice Crusade? Don't forget to Corsairs, pirates and Mongol invasions.

- Diplomacy: 6 diplomatic options and Casus Belli with other players; 1 player also controls the Pope and must organize the Crusades... if the others Christian kingdoms try to refuse, Pope can excommunicate them... and if the Mamluks conquered Rome?

- Expansion: the player is invited to expand his Kingdom to create an empire.

- AIM of the game: get the most Honor Points from the various aspects of the game as: military expansion, killing an enemy General, conquering a Kingdom, winning a crusade, completing a mission of the Pope … etc.

OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:

Each player has to start match one of the major Kingdoms of the era:
Sultanate of Hafsids
Kingdom Mamluks
Horde gold
Byzantine Empire
Novgorod Republic
Kingdom of Hungary
Holy Roman Empire
Kingdom of France
Kingdom of Castile
Kingdom of England

Map is modular, divided in SET BASE according to play up to 3-5 players and 3 EXPANSIONS to play up to 10! The player has available land and sea units to trade 8 different types of goods in 36 cities on the map, so fiorini obtained can be invested to increase the cities, building fortifications, buy new units, recruit new General, build siege machines or new cathedrals/mosques to have more control over the population, specialize the cities in a commercial sector, and more.

With fiorini also you can buy technologies to improve some aspects of the game; technologies are divided into 5 kinds, up to 3 layers, so if I will have STREETS, I must buy ARCHITECTURE and MATHEMATICS before yet.
The technologies also help me to eliminate or reduce the effects of CALAMITIES: MEDICINA against PLAGUE, AGRICULTURE against FAMINE, etc etc etc.

There are also game cards, named EMPIRE that allow the player to do more things: spying your opponent's cards, earn more by trade, taxing better territories, ask truce during a war, get bonuses during attack or defence etc etc etc.
Many of these cards have combinations with technologies, for example the GENIUS has + 1 bonus during attack or defence, but if it is accompanied by the ENGINEERING he take + 2 bonus... and so on... MERCHANT with COINS, TEMPLARE with MONOTHEISM, MERCENARY with ARMY etc etc etc.

As you may have noticed, I used the colors to help you learn many components of game, there are references and descriptions on each card and also I inserted in front of the player a summary of the game turn and 3 summary tables of classic 50 questions that a player always stolen ... so I have dramatically reduced learning time and in fact, when I played with my friends younger (13-14 years) the thing was very useful.

In addition to CALAMITIES cards there are random events which affect only 1 areas of the map; I added other units on the map, the neutral (or dead, barbarian, as you prefer), which with simple automatic rules can expand its neighbours or attack weaker player or rebel territories with low defense... to move even more the game.

The territories have 5 different terrain types: plain, hill, forest, mountain, desert and in addition the rivers ... all this leads to limits of population or costs in movement.

Also diplomacy: there are 6 diplomatic options that can be broken at any time (so look back!), obviously players take consequences (for example, if a player Christian declares war to another Christian would almost certainly the excommunication of the Pope and therefore would fall out of favor).

The sequence of players is random, if now you are the 1st, in the next turn you could be the 3rd or last ... pay attention to your enemies!

Object of the game is to get as many HONOR POINTS ... during the game, depending on what you do, you may gain or lose HONOR POINTS.
So you can play: by TIME, with a MAX NUMBER of points to reach or with a defined number of TURNS.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:35:49 am »

I am certainly up for a PBF game of this, if one can be constructed. (Kingdom of England, for preference.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:40 pm »
+1

DECK EMPIRE:

DECK TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS:

CHART TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS:

CHART TRADE:

PANEL PLAYER:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:44:28 am by Veldriss »

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:23:28 am »

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »
+3

And after several years of waiting, of a long process of modifications and research, conventions, playtesting, discussions on forums to turn my prototype in a real game ... in the end I did it!  :o

The Giochix http://www.giochix.it/ has officially announced will launch MedioEvo Universalis on giochistarter and kickstarter.

Still do not believe ...  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:55:21 pm by Veldriss »

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:31:36 pm »

News from Giochistarter: Medioevo Universalis

Probably the news has already reached any part of the world, but better confirm it on official way! Medioevo Universalis, the gargantual game made by Nicola Iannone, will be on Giochistarter! We still have to schedule the campaign, but probably it will be live on the first months of 2016.

Spread the news!

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »

I'm working on a 3d map for the prototype, more info here: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2063

Logo in low relief ready to be pasted on the 3D map:

... and obviously the Angel in low relief ready to be pasted on the 3D map:

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 01:08:19 pm »

News:
Giochix began working on Regulation: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9777

Update logo...
Before:

Now:

Game of 2 May: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9599

Game of 16 May: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9745

Possibility to divide the map in 15 Parts and create up to 35 combinations playable from 3 to 10 players:

More info and images: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=15885#p15885

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:37 pm »
+1

So... basically you made a board game version of Crusader Kings?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 03:00:58 pm »

So... basically you made a board game version of Crusader Kings?

Crusader Kings is a very nice and full game, perhaps too full ... is a very complex and is not for everyone, especially regarding the system of vassalage.

With MedioEvo Universalis you can manage the trade, evolution of technologies, diplomacy ... There are naval and land battles, sieges and fortifications, cities and other buildings ... many aspects that move the matches and the players' actions : random events and calamities, rebellions, pirates, crusades and excommunications.
But everything is very simple and intuitive enough, once assimilated the system of aid included in the game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:32:14 pm by Veldriss »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:07 am »

Very interesting to see this. I didn't know about giochistarter.it before.

I like the card art, it fits very nicely into the medieval setting. Which of the artists did them?

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 06:37:10 pm »
+1

Very interesting to see this. I didn't know about giochistarter.it before.

I like the card art, it fits very nicely into the medieval setting. Which of the artists did them?

THX :)

The artist of the cards is Omar Savoldelli (FB: https://www.facebook.com/omar.nemo.144?fref=ts )

More info (in italian) on the development of the designs of the cards: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1280&start=10#p2301

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 10:48:45 am »

I went back to work on the 3D map because I have some free time ...

Here the combination of all the colors of the various Kingdoms: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2063&p=16125#p15495

Now I'm starting to look at trees, snow-covered fir trees and palms to order, I thought of using those with the stand or those to be inserted into a small hole (I would do with a nail on the map); Capochino on his forum suggested me use magnets to hook / unhook them from the map, I found different solutions on this, from the magnetized sheets to the magnets thin: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2063&p=16125#p16120
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Kingdoms coloration practically over, are missing only two small:

More photos here: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2063&p=16120#p16125

Next STEP will sauted all the borders between the territories.

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 08:05:59 am »

GAME TURN, english version:

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 03:50:04 pm »

Some photos with the latest version of the printed map this year with the latest fixes made on maritime boundaries and the names of the territories more all the new heraldic ...

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 03:41:21 pm »

At "PISA GIOCA 2010" I knew Rhodry that she is helping me with some drawings of the game ... After the ANGEL (for more information on this click here: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1195&p=2261#p2261), I asked her to help me with coins ... I thought using the florin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin) as the currency exchange in the game because in the second half of the thirteenth century. it was widely used.

Here the original florin:

Here are some initial drafts and some steps of work:

And here a first draft of the final idea of coins:

The first two coins are respectively the white "cross" and "head" ... I put the value on the cross... being forced to manage exorbitant amount of money I can't use the money system of that historical period:

1 gold florin = 20 "popolino" (big silver florin) = 40 "soldi"; also there was a little florin = 1/12 "soldo".

Instead of the original texts on the "cross" I have replaced the "FLORENTIA" with the value (1-5-10-50-100-500-1000) and on "head" I have replaced "S. IOHANNES B." " with the name of the game (MEDIO EVO UNIVERSALIS). The coins will also be different colors to differentiate the materials:

value 1 = copper
value 5-10 = iron
value 50-100 = silver
value 500-1000 = gold

I think they will be the same size if I will make the metal coins because I must pay for every different dimension of mold... 4 different dimensions + 7 different "cross" = 11 different molds.
If they have the same size I must pay only 1 "head" + 7 "cross".
Some examples:

If I will make the plastic or cardboard coins I will surely make 4 different dimensions.
Current coins:

Here below tests about new money for this prototype:

1� test

2� test

... and even coins are finished ... Despite some hitches, now I have coins PERFECTLY EQUAL to Rhodry's draw:

Here is one of the molds:

More info:
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1195&start=10#p2706
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&p=2242#p2242
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&p=2242#p2963
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&start=40#p2964
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&start=40#p2964

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 04:11:41 pm »

I really don't want to be rude, but are you on the forum to talk about Dominion at all?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 04:26:23 pm »
+2

I really don't want to be rude, but are you on the forum to talk about Dominion at all?

Ok, sorry, I do not write more if not to answer any questions.

I start this topic in the section Other Board Games: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=9.0
Then the administrator moved it here...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:37:40 pm by Veldriss »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 04:57:49 pm »
+5

Meh, it's the correct subforum, and its name is "Advertisements". I mean, sure, this is a Dominion forum, but at least it's not like Veldriss post in every thread about how awesome MedioEvo Universalis is. If thousands of people made their own thread here just to talk about their own game, sure, it wouldn't be that great. But i think we can take one thread talking about an original game and leave it be in peace. There are folks that are more involved in RSP or Mafia games than anything else, and i don't think we should be mad at them, either.

Maybe that's me being involved in a boardgame project of my own speaking, but i think Veldriss does no harm to anyone by showing us what he works on.

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »

THX Asper :)

Convention PLAY 2016: this is the deluxe version of my prototype with the 3D map:

(CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE):

As soon as possible I will add more photos  ;)

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »

Some photos more closely :)

More photos here: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=17393&sid=ea1fa30257cb7d711c77cfc39d64bb01#p17393

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:53:16 am »

Giochix should launch crowdfunding campaign on giochistarter.it and kickstarter.com at the end of 2016.
I am preparing a list of miniateres in 3 different versions: minimal, medium and full...

This is the first draft, but I still think a couple of days:

Veldriss

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 04:57:26 pm »

I started the long process of re-reading of all the historical information gathered so far to extract the greatest number of ideas that will then, after having been revised and supplemented with possession of TECHNOLOGIES, the creation of the largest possible number of CARDS EVENTS historicized.

In this first phase will put a link to a thread to which I refer in order to quickly access the full text in case I had doubts, under the text extrapolated from the discussion itself and under the idea that will help me in the second phase to create the drafts of the new CARDS EVENTS historicized.

More info here: http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=96&start=20#p19064
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.