Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Will it ever be enough?...  (Read 6036 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Will it ever be enough?...
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:20:38 am »

I've started adventure grinding in order to get the last 3 promo cards. The problem is, I've finished the first two stages of Base and I only have 24 boss tokens. To get all the promos I would need 300, and if the tokens are distributed evenly then I won't be able to get enough by finishing all the adventures. Is there something else I need to do? Is there a requirement to get 3 stars in each stage or something? Because I'm not sure I can do that.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Will it ever be enough?...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:39 am »

I had to get through most of the adventures to get enough shields for 3 promo cards. You get a lot more for completing the last stage of the adventures for a certain set.

It's not fun, though.  :-\
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:57 am »

Thank goodness. If I went through all the adventures and didn't get enough I'd be really upset.

Yeah, it's not fun. It's called grinding for a reason. XD
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:02 am »
+6

If I went through all the adventures and didn't get enough I'd be really upset.

After I went through the adventures and did get enough, I was pretty upset.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:06:12 am »

Donald's advice is to wait until they make the adventures not stupid (which they're supposed to be doing). Otherwise, this might interest you http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11083.50
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:42:08 am »

I went through the adventures, figuring I'd have enough, and burned the 300 on Black Market and Prince because they were the ones I wanted first. Seems like I'm just locked out of Governor, Envoy, and Walled Village now. There's still no way around it, is there?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:50 am »
+2

Donald's advice is to wait until they make the adventures not stupid (which they're supposed to be doing). Otherwise, this might interest you http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11083.50
The adventures are not stupid now, in that they are just games with particular cards against particular bots. Previously the bot started with 3 provinces and so on and they were stupid.

They will get better though, they will be similar to what they are now except with rules changes modifying act 3's and some other levels spiced up in some way. I expect those changes with the new version of the program but I don't know the date for that.

My understanding is that currently doing all of the adventures is not sufficient for buying all of the promos. I have not done the math to know if you will be able to get them all once they add Guilds and the new set. Buy them in the order you want them, that's my advice. The plan was always to have other ways to get them such as getting the tokens as tournament prizes and well who knows, maybe someday.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:59 am »

The adventures are not stupid now, in that they are just games with particular cards against particular bots. Previously the bot started with 3 provinces and so on and they were stupid.

They will get better though, they will be similar to what they are now except with rules changes modifying act 3's and some other levels spiced up in some way. I expect those changes with the new version of the program but I don't know the date for that.

My understanding is that currently doing all of the adventures is not sufficient for buying all of the promos. I have not done the math to know if you will be able to get them all once they add Guilds and the new set. Buy them in the order you want them, that's my advice. The plan was always to have other ways to get them such as getting the tokens as tournament prizes and well who knows, maybe someday.

Actually, my advice is to buy the promos you can with cash then earn the other ones. Envoy, Governor and Walled Village can only be earned with shields, and the adventures only give you enough shields for three promos. So, get those three promos and buy the rest.

My guess is that adding Guilds and another expansion will probably just leave enough for one more promo. So, I guess you can avoid buying one of them. Prince is expensive though, 200 shields, so you probably have no choice but to spend cash on him.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:08:11 am by Beyond Awesome »

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:56:16 am »

@GeoLib: I did actually find that code but I don't know where to type it in. Page source maybe?

@TheOthin: Oh gosh that sucks. I'm so sorry. It might be worth making an account on the Goko forum to complain.

@Donald: First of all, thanks for the reply. I'm glad you got rid of the 3-Province bot advantage because I was NOT looking forward to that. I think my biggest problem is that bots teach you differently than ds.com does, and since ds.com is the dominant school of thought for most if not all top players, someone learning from the bots will get annihilated in the multiplayer server. This wouldn't be a problem for me if the bots didn't have, well, uncommon luck in their simplistic strategies. I've seen them get a ton of early-game Provinces, which should theoretically make it harder to win, but they win anyway. If playing like a ds.com player doesn't work, what does? That's why I'm not liking the adventure grinding. Now, it might get a bit different once I move out of the base set area, but right now it's frustrating. So I'm definitely looking forward to whatever gets put on the site to make getting the tokens easier. Also, I think you and Goko should implement something to avoid TheOthin's problem as soon as possible. Maybe use a popup or something that says "This card can be bought with Gokoins. Are you sure you want to use your adventure tokens on it?" Or let someone be able to turn the card back in for whatever they paid for it - give them back the tokens in exchange for use of the card if they happened to use their tokens on it, but pay them back in Gokoins if they used Gokoins.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:05:42 am »

I think my biggest problem is that bots teach you differently than ds.com does, and since ds.com is the dominant school of thought for most if not all top players, someone learning from the bots will get annihilated in the multiplayer server. This wouldn't be a problem for me if the bots didn't have, well, uncommon luck in their simplistic strategies. I've seen them get a ton of early-game Provinces, which should theoretically make it harder to win, but they win anyway. If playing like a ds.com player doesn't work, what does?
I think your problem is probably that you ARE following the bots' strategy. Keep building long enough and you will probably win.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:50:23 am »

When I did the adventures this was not the case, and it was the main source of my frustration.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:55:39 am »

I think my biggest problem is that bots teach you differently than ds.com does, and since ds.com is the dominant school of thought for most if not all top players, someone learning from the bots will get annihilated in the multiplayer server. This wouldn't be a problem for me if the bots didn't have, well, uncommon luck in their simplistic strategies. I've seen them get a ton of early-game Provinces, which should theoretically make it harder to win, but they win anyway. If playing like a ds.com player doesn't work, what does?
I think your problem is probably that you ARE following the bots' strategy. Keep building long enough and you will probably win.
Hmh. I played bots with my "deefault" base board, where all the best players don't go green until they get two Provinces a turn. Bots always played big money, and they always got enough of a lead on the Provinces before my engine was ready to go that I lost. So um. The Making Fun forums also tell you to buy as many golds as possible...

Anyway, I found where to enter the cheat code. Since Donald said that Goko will have already gotten what they wanted by making me pay almost $50 for all the other cards, and since I can't get the "coins" I need to unlock the final stage of each set by using the cheat code (so I have to get them by playing real people *gasp!*), I think I can do it with a pretty clear conscience.

Edit: Speeding through the adventures also gives me a chance to read the story. It's so great. Who wrote that stuff? (PS: Vaccara. Wow.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:20:14 pm by Elanchana »

TwitchYouTubeMusic

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 12:25:40 pm »

Doesn't Walled Village also require a Google+ login?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:44 pm »
+1

Doesn't Walled Village also require a Google+ login?

It says that it does, but in actuality you can buy it with any login.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 04:39:43 pm »

My mistake. The last time I looked at them it was still the different starting hands way. I am not so very concerned with getting the promos that I'm going to grind while I still have hope of seeing the cool adventures as you intended them. Oooh, but Prince though. Hmmm....

So one issue here is that in the base set BM is much stronger than it is normally. I don't know which board you are talking about, but e.g. the "first game" board requires a fair amount of optimization before the engine beats BM IIRC. This means that sometimes BM may indeed be the strongest strategy, and sometimes a suboptimally executed engine may also lose to BM. This will likely not be the case for the non-base adventures.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 05:28:25 pm »
+3

@Donald: First of all, thanks for the reply. I'm glad you got rid of the 3-Province bot advantage because I was NOT looking forward to that. I think my biggest problem is that bots teach you differently than ds.com does, and since ds.com is the dominant school of thought for most if not all top players, someone learning from the bots will get annihilated in the multiplayer server. This wouldn't be a problem for me if the bots didn't have, well, uncommon luck in their simplistic strategies. I've seen them get a ton of early-game Provinces, which should theoretically make it harder to win, but they win anyway. If playing like a ds.com player doesn't work, what does? That's why I'm not liking the adventure grinding. Now, it might get a bit different once I move out of the base set area, but right now it's frustrating. So I'm definitely looking forward to whatever gets put on the site to make getting the tokens easier. Also, I think you and Goko should implement something to avoid TheOthin's problem as soon as possible. Maybe use a popup or something that says "This card can be bought with Gokoins. Are you sure you want to use your adventure tokens on it?" Or let someone be able to turn the card back in for whatever they paid for it - give them back the tokens in exchange for use of the card if they happened to use their tokens on it, but pay them back in Gokoins if they used Gokoins.
I don't work there or anything; I offer up my opinions and hope they're paid attention to. It was maybe a year between when I first said "can you get rid of the 3-province starting advantages, this sucks so hard" and when they actually fixed it.

I don't much like the idea of people buying the promos with money - it's just fan-gouging. I personally wouldn't have that as an option at all. It has to be possible to get the promos, and there's no point to making people grind, but at the same time I am fine with the promos being a harder-to-get more special thing.

I understand being a completionist but man no-one needs Walled Village or Envoy.

The campaigns have a lot of the main set, and sometimes there will be boards where all there is to do is buy a Council Room, and the bots can beat you on those boards, they know how to buy that Council Room. Other times you can be tricky and then the bots don't stand a chance. And sometimes there's a basic thing the bot is bad at. If there's Duke, go for Duke. If there are VP tokens, get some. The first Prosperity one is nice, you endlessly get ridiculous Goons decks.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 05:30:36 pm »
+4

My mistake. The last time I looked at them it was still the different starting hands way. I am not so very concerned with getting the promos that I'm going to grind while I still have hope of seeing the cool adventures as you intended them. Oooh, but Prince though. Hmmm....
Well they are not going to ever be all that cool. As I have said, each last act has a special rule, and then some other random levels do something interesting. Many levels will be just the same as they are now.

I would still wait though. Waiting is easy, you just do other stuff.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 11:57:46 pm »
+5

The first Prosperity one is nice, you endlessly get ridiculous Goons decks.

+1 for this. I don't care if it's against a bot, there's something so satisfying about getting all 10 Goons into play and then getting 1500 points in a game  ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.