Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Best Dominion Moments 2015  (Read 23746 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Best Dominion Moments 2015
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:07 am »
+3

Achievement unlocked: I have now bought all 8 Colonies full price in one turn.

I've been trying to find a way to do that on my Expensive Taste board for some time - especially when unexperienced players don't resign/rage quit I try to win by the widest margin possible. But I never got to $88 on one turn until today. I kinda feel sorry for my opponent who was probably sitting there thinking "PLEASE JUST END THE GAME ALREADY" while I failed a few times to get my coin total up, but... I hope they were impressed rather than frustrated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:40:11 am by Elanchana »
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 09:45:42 am »
+1

Nicely done. Note that it was game over on T2 when your opponent opened with a potion.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 09:59:54 am »

Achievement unlocked: I have now bought all 8 Colonies in one turn.

My first thought was "oh, you did the King's Court/Bridge thing. Welcome to the club."

Huh. No Bridge or Highway on the board! Well done.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:41 am »

Achievement unlocked: I have now bought all 8 Colonies in one turn.

My first thought was "oh, you did the King's Court/Bridge thing. Welcome to the club."

Huh. No Bridge or Highway on the board! Well done.

Yeah that's why I felt like posting this here. KC/Bridge is awesome but it wasn't an option simply because Bridge is $4 and I was playing a theme board. I edited my post to make it a little more obvious. (And thanks, by the way!)
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 02:10:35 pm »

Nicely done. Note that it was game over on T2 when your opponent opened with a potion.
Yeah...that was problematic. And then having an opponent spin the deck twice with Golem when there were no actions to reveal...ouch.

Now I understand the relative lack of draw here, and it seems weird to critique an approach that won by 240 points, but is Golem really a good idea here at all? If you buy Silver over potion, any time you buy Golem you could have bought Goons (or Gold, I guess) instead and quite possibly a Grand Market. And since the name of the game here is KCing cantrips and playing anything you happen to draw, holding a Potion has to hurt your chances to hit $7 at least some of the time early.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 02:49:36 pm »

Yeah...that was problematic. And then having an opponent spin the deck twice with Golem when there were no actions to reveal...ouch.

Now I understand the relative lack of draw here, and it seems weird to critique an approach that won by 240 points, but is Golem really a good idea here at all? If you buy Silver over potion, any time you buy Golem you could have bought Goons (or Gold, I guess) instead and quite possibly a Grand Market. And since the name of the game here is KCing cantrips and playing anything you happen to draw, holding a Potion has to hurt your chances to hit $7 at least some of the time early.

Yeah I agree, Golem is getting in the way more than helping: the engine here is fueled by Kinging Kings and Kinging GMs; any Golem that you play takes two actions out of your potential "play three times" pool and plays them only once instead. It's especially bad if you Golem into a King's Court, because then it only gets to play one tripled action instead of three.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:21 pm »

My philosophy for getting Potions/Golems on that board is that first of all, there are only ten KCs in the supply and my opponent will definitely grab some for their own. Second of all, and more importantly, many times what happens is that someone's deck will hit $6 including Coppers a few times before ever hitting $7 or Copper-free $6. The logical thing is to buy Goons when that happens, but too many Goons and you just get terminal-heavy. Golem ensures that you can play those Goons more often from the get-go and not have to worry about wasting buys/coins as much. And third, if my opponent happens to go for Possession, loading up on Golems (and Goons) will make it more likely that they screw themselves over.

Iunno though. That board is extremely luck-based as it is.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »
+1

Golem is only good as consolation possession (when you hit 4P or 5P). But when you get potion, you should be aiming for 6P. And you shouldn't be getting potion for a long time. In this game, where your opponent didn't make a deck worth possessing, ignore potion entirely. Your opponent should have gotten a possession. 5 KC is plenty.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »

Golem is only good as consolation possession (when you hit 4P or 5P). But when you get potion, you should be aiming for 6P. And you shouldn't be getting potion for a long time. In this game, where your opponent didn't make a deck worth possessing, ignore potion entirely. Your opponent should have gotten a possession. 5 KC is plenty.

Isn't this a goons board? Do I really want possession?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 04:34:42 pm »
+1

Isn't this a goons board? Do I really want possession?
No clue, but I know you don't want to get potion for golem.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 04:17:44 am »
+5

Gave my opponent a Colony to activate my Menagerie: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150419/log.505d295cfca2594308272c56.1429431388749.txt

I was so far ahead at that point that I just wanted to end the game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »
+11

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150419/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1429468089732.txt

theblankman   buys Province
theblankman   gains Province
theblankman   buys Province
theblankman   gains Province
theblankman   buys Copper
theblankman   gains Copper

Yes, I did need those coppers.  To level up a single Garden.  For a one-point win.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 10:50:59 pm »

Winning with all 10 9 Ruins

Code: [Select]
Secret Chamber, Market Square, Moneylender, Apprentice, Band of Misfits, Counterfeit, Cultist, Junk Dealer, Venture, Grand Market
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:52:21 pm by Flip5ide »
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 01:00:20 am »
+1

Is there any thread for games you felt were pretty cool, but not quite a "best moment"?  I just built a double-tactician engine with the only +2 actions being tactician and necropolis, and the only virtual coin mystic (the main source) and militia.  Although, the best part was embargoing the Golds.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:24 pm »
+2

Just finished a game with a very… unexpected end.
My play was AWFUL. Don't look at it, but here is the log : http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150420/log.505c7bfd51c32492827890f9.1429564909246.txt

But I love the end, where I make a three pile-ending by processing processions :

brokoli   plays Procession

brokoli   plays Steward
brokoli   draws Procession, Market
brokoli   plays Steward
brokoli   draws Gold, Market
brokoli   trashes Steward
brokoli   gains Navigator
brokoli   plays Market
brokoli   shuffles deck
brokoli   draws Procession
brokoli   plays Market
brokoli   draws Province
brokoli   trashes Market

brokoli   plays Market
brokoli   draws Duchy
brokoli   plays Market
brokoli   draws Navigator
brokoli   trashes Market
brokoli   plays Navigator

brokoli   looks at Steward, Gold, Market, Upgrade, Silver
brokoli   places Steward on top of deck
brokoli   places Gold on top of deck
brokoli   places Market on top of deck
brokoli   places Upgrade on top of deck
brokoli   places Silver on top of deck
brokoli   plays Navigator
brokoli   looks at Silver, Upgrade, Market, Gold, Steward
brokoli   places Silver on top of deck
brokoli   places Upgrade on top of deck
brokoli   places Market on top of deck
brokoli   places Gold on top of deck
brokoli   places Steward on top of deck
brokoli   trashes Navigator
brokoli   gains Upgrade
brokoli   trashes Procession
brokoli   gains Upgrade
brokoli   gains Upgrade
brokoli   gains Upgrade

brokoli   plays 2 Gold, 1 Copper
brokoli   buys Province
brokoli   gains Province
brokoli   buys Duchy
brokoli   gains Duchy
brokoli   buys Estate
brokoli   gains Estate

I won by only 1 point.  ;D

… I love procession.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:28:14 pm by brokoli »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150421/log.50a43f07e4b0addfc4f4304a.1429660661657.txt

After 11 turns, my opponent has won the Wharf split 7-3, has trashed two more cards than I have, and all I have to show for it are some silly stewards, universities, a golem, and a festival, meanwhile he has a forge and two gold. On turn 12 he buys a province, which was almost certainly premature. Instead, he should keep building, because 7 wharves can do a whole lot of stuff and there are plenty of great cards in the kingdom. My deck gains stewards because I have 3 universities lying around and not enough draw from just 3 wharves, and I pick up another festival, golem, and a harvest too. On turn 13 he buys a province and forges another, while my deck comes together to buy 2 provinces (Maybe these should have been fairgrounds). On his turn 14 he falls just short of being able to empty the last 3 provinces (he said in the chat that he should have kept one more copper on turn 13, then I assume he would have been able to get all 3. Finally on my turn 14 I have enough stuff in my deck, including 8 stewards to get the money needed to get two fairgrounds and an estate with the last province to win.

I don't think I've ever seen a game turn around this quickly... maybe I should have seen it coming because I had 3 unis to his 0, but well I didn't.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 01:48:02 pm »

I feel like I just gained some Dominion street cred for independently applying The Stef Rule for the first time.

Made even more satisfying by the fact that I recovered from some serious bad judgement in turn 20 that almost lost me the game, but thankfully I had Province-junked my opponent so much that they couldn't turn that to their advantage. Whew.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 01:52:34 pm »

What's the Stef rule again?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »
+1

What's the Stef rule again?

If you're going for some kind of alt-VP and your opponent is going for a Province strategy, you don't contest them at all, forcing them to struggle to empty the entire pile themselves while you take a lead in a more reliable way.

I call it the Stef Rule because of a thread Stef made once called "Don't buy that Province". Since it's a phrase I coined it probably won't catch on but whatever. You could also call it Province-junking.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:59 pm »

If you're going for some kind of alt-VP and your opponent is going for a Province strategy, you don't contest them at all, forcing them to struggle to empty the entire pile themselves while you take a lead in a more reliable way.

Well, that's true pretty often. It's certainly true here. But it's not always true — just like the Province player sometimes wants to buy alt-VP for the purpose of denying them from you, there are also times when you want to buy Provinces for the same reason. And just like it's with a Province player denying alt-VP, you have to be sure that the points they lose will hurt them more than the speed they gain helps them, though (ideally, you should also benefit from the fact that now the game is ending sooner).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:38 pm »

Well, that's true pretty often. It's certainly true here. But it's not always true — just like the Province player sometimes wants to buy alt-VP for the purpose of denying them from you, there are also times when you want to buy Provinces for the same reason. And just like it's with a Province player denying alt-VP, you have to be sure that the points they lose will hurt them more than the speed they gain helps them, though (ideally, you should also benefit from the fact that now the game is ending sooner).

Obviously it doesn't apply everywhere - "depends on the board" and all that. It's mostly for situations where the slow but reliable buildup alt-VP can provide is better than the fast increase in points through high cost green cards that eventually get intrusive. The principle is to make the Province player's job as hard as possible.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:44 pm »

When you don't get your Cities leveled up until you are down 5 Provinces to 0.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150423/log.52c52dc9e4b0869c01b4b68b.1429832031459.txt
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 03:03:28 pm »

A pretty cool stunt that I pulled recently: Converting my low-pay engine into a golden deck in less than 2 turns.

Details:

Quote from: Start of turn 12
3   Rabble
1   Remake
4   Worker's Village
2   Silver
1   Gold
11   cards in deck
0   victory points

Quote from: Turn 12
Elanchana Destler   plays Remake
Elanchana Destler   trashes Silver
Elanchana Destler   gains Bishop
Elanchana Destler   trashes Rabble
Elanchana Destler   gains Gold
Elanchana Destler   plays Worker's Village
Elanchana Destler   shuffles deck
Elanchana Destler   draws Gold
Elanchana Destler   plays Rabble
Elanchana Destler   draws Bishop
(opponent)   reveals Silver, Copper, Silver
(opponent)   discards: Silver, Copper, Silver
Elanchana Destler   plays 2 Gold, 1 Silver
Elanchana Destler   buys Province
Elanchana Destler   gains Province

Quote from: Opponent's next turn
(opponent)   plays Bishop
(opponent)   trashes Remake
(opponent)   receives 2 victory point chips
Elanchana Destler   trashes Remake

Quote from: Start of turn 13
1   Bishop
2   Rabble
4   Worker's Village
1   Silver
2   Gold
1   Province
11   cards in deck
6   victory points

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 04:14:40 pm »

A pretty cool stunt that I pulled recently: Converting my low-pay engine into a golden deck in less than 2 turns.

Details:

3   Rabble
1   Remake
4   Worker's Village
2   Silver
1   Gold
11   cards in deck
0   victory points

1   Bishop
2   Rabble
4   Worker's Village
1   Silver
2   Gold
1   Province
11   cards in deck
6   victory points

That's not a golden deck. What if you draw Rabble, Rabble, Province, Silver, Gold?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 05:18:08 pm »

Details:

3   Rabble
1   Remake
4   Worker's Village
2   Silver
1   Gold
11   cards in deck
0   victory points

1   Bishop
2   Rabble
4   Worker's Village
1   Silver
2   Gold
1   Province
11   cards in deck
6   victory points

That's not a golden deck. What if you draw Rabble, Rabble, Province, Silver, Gold?

Play Rabble, hope I draw the other Gold, buy a Province if I do, buy a Village if I don't, and know that I have a golden turn coming up next.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.