• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Help
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:33:03 pm »

Hi,

I played a game on this board:

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Lookout, Ironmonger, JackOfAllTrades, Sea Hag, Highway, Market, Saboteur, Trading Post, Upgrade
Log of the game: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141220/log.51279b11e4b03ef870c8e38e.1419070745227.txt

My opponent opened Jack of all Trades/Lookout while I went for Sea Hag/Lookout.
(Did you know that Councilroom's ranking of openings suggests that Jack of all Trades/Lookout (+4)<Sea Hag/Lookout (+5)?)

I believe on this board JoaT/Lookout is the strongest 4/3 opening. (I change my mind^^ maybe Ironmonger/Lookout was very strong here because I think
it stresses the engine more and is not playing in the hands of JoaT/Lookout)
And after the game I had the feeling my opponent somehow translated this opening advantage into win.
Why did I open Sea Hag/Lookout? With Sea Hag I opened the battle for the minority of the curse pile. With Lookout I
address the issue that this is an engine board and engines love early trashing.
This is probably the first reason why JoaT was the superior choice. He can trash. My opponent also following the logic
of early trashing with another Lookout on turn 3.
In order to get access to cards costing $5 I have to buy a Silver.
The second reason why JoaT was superior. He gets the Silver for my opponent without wasting his or her buys.
The third reason I believe JoaT was superior is, that it is difficult to get an reliable (whole deck drawing engine)
out of this board. Therefore the Silvers hurt less, than they normally do in an engine and with for example Upgrade and
his or hers two Lookouts he has good control of the amount of Silver in the deck even with the presence of JoaT.

After that I add a Market and at any given opportunity Highways or Ironmongers.
Please look at both decks after turn 10. Are the decks even or has someone already the upper hand?
(The differences I realize are that I have an Ironmonger more while he has 2 Silvers and an Upgrade)

Turn 11: My opponent buys a Province (Would you do the same?)
On turn 13 I return the favour and also buy a Province (Right or wrong?)
Do you think it was correct to catch up with provinces on turn 17? (Would you buy Silver instead of Beggar here?
Although Beggar did a nice job allowing me to buy 2 Provinces on turn 18)

If you notice something that I can improve, please tell me. I appreciate it.
Thanks for help

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »
+1

"Thinning is winning"

This is what happened this game.  Your opponent ignored sea hag, and instead got 2 lookouts.  And a JoaT.  Which is trashing, while at the same time building economy.

One interesting point about opening sea hag/lookout like you did.  You got sea hag and lookout in your hand t4, which is great.  Neither card missed the shuffle.  But when you played lookout, you forced a shuffle, which meant that you were guaranteed to not have sea hag or lookout in your hand until t6.  And as it happened, you didn't see them until t8 (which you might say was slightly unlucky).  So after t8, you had played lookout twice and sea hag twice.  Trashing 2 of your cards, and giving your opponent 2 junk cards.  Meanwhile, after your opponent's t8 he had played lookout 4 times and JoaT 3 times.  This isn't because of any special luck that your opponent had, but because lookout and JoaT both help cycle his deck faster than yours was able to cycle.  I didn't really look at the game after that point, but I would say from there your opponent had a distinct advantage.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:34:23 pm »
+3

My opponent opened Jack of all Trades/Lookout while I went for Sea Hag/Lookout.

if JoaT is a gigantic tornado, sea hag is a piece of sand that it throws around

never open hag vs JoaT

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »

Councilroom's stats are based on knowledge of the game prior to the release of Dark Ages.  Even if the cards themselves are from earlier set, the knowledge of players and metagame has changed.  I would never bother with Sea Hag on this board; the counters are too strong and Sea Hag gives you nothing for playing a terminal to compensate.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:24:56 pm »

There's a powerful Highway/Market engine to be build here, but you need to trash your cards that don't draw cards aggressively. Sea Hag can't compete here with Lookout, Jack and Upgrade for trashing curses.

Here's a sample. The bot buys 2 Sea Hags, but 2 Lookouts, Jack, and 2 Upgrades handle the curses easily, and I can build the engine and eventually buy 7 Provinces in a turn to end it (it's made particularly easy because the bot does not contest highways or markets). http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141220/log.516ce511e4b082c74d7a526a.1419113947228.txt

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 05:37:31 pm »
+1

The real problem here is that the lookout + sea hag opening risks not finding the four and five income hands to develop the deck. You can get the second lookout for 3 coins but that doesn't resolve the income problem. If you're going to be buying silvers then just start with the jack, and gain those silvers, and buy those upgrades easily.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.