Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buy but don't gain?  (Read 2373 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Buy but don't gain?
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:06 pm »
+1

In Dominion, buying is separate from gaining: (1) first you pay for a card, and any on-buy effects happen, and (2) after that you gain a copy of that card from the supply, and any on-gain effects happen.

As far as I can tell, there are seven events in Dominion which can stop (2) from happening if (1) has happened. Two of them are pretty well-known, and the other five have something in common.

What are they?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Buy but don't gain?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:11:11 pm »

I think you meant to put this in puzzles.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:14:08 pm »

Oops.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:16:16 pm »
+3

But might as well answer. 

The common two are Trader and Possession since they deal with "would gain".

Five others:
Talisman, if you gain the last card in a pile with its power first.

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank on any more.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:11 pm »
+3

Hmm.

Working off the event order from Talisman, it should be possible to do something similar with Farmland. Buy the last Farmland with a $4 card in your hand, then trash that $4 card to gain a Farmland, making it impossible to gain the Farmland you bought.

Haggler, Squire, and Watchtower should present a similar scenario. Buy the last copy of an Attack like Cultist, gain a Squire due to Haggler, trash the Squire with Watchtower, and gain a Cultist. If all that happens before you gain the Cultist you bought, you don't gain it.

Also Stonemason. Overpay for it by $6 to pick up a Border Village and gain the last Stonemason before you get the one you paid for, or even pick up the last two if you want to. It could also work by substituting Catacombs and Watchtower for Border Village; I'm not sure if this counts as a separate method or not.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »
+1

Hmm.

Working off the event order from Talisman, it should be possible to do something similar with Farmland. Buy the last Farmland with a $4 card in your hand, then trash that $4 card to gain a Farmland, making it impossible to gain the Farmland you bought.

Haggler, Squire, and Watchtower should present a similar scenario. Buy the last copy of an Attack like Cultist, gain a Squire due to Haggler, trash the Squire with Watchtower, and gain a Cultist. If all that happens before you gain the Cultist you bought, you don't gain it.

Also Stonemason. Overpay for it by $6 to pick up a Border Village and gain the last Stonemason before you get the one you paid for, or even pick up the last two if you want to. It could also work by substituting Catacombs and Watchtower for Border Village; I'm not sure if this counts as a separate method or not.

ninja'd in the correct thread :D

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »

Hmm.

He got one solution that you didn't.

Also we need a meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerge.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »

Hmm.

He got one solution that you didn't.

Also we need a meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerge.
No he didn't? Unless you count the roundabout stonemason one. Donald X, on the other hand, definitely did.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:58:12 pm »

I meant the trick to get Haggler to gain a copy of the bought card. He trashes the gained squire into the original attack, you trash gained hunting grounds (thanks to quarry) into a duchy.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »

I meant the trick to get Haggler to gain a copy of the bought card. He trashes the gained squire into the original attack, you trash gained hunting grounds (thanks to quarry) into a duchy.
I mentioned that one too in an edit, but it doesn't matter.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.