Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Schedule and Results, Part II  (Read 50598 times)

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Re: Schedule and Results, Part II
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

Chapel Division
Result will be shown after this analysis ....

Game 1
Young Witch game with no $5, so after we opened Young Witch/Loan I bought a Potion and went Apothecary/Golem. olneyce bought a few silvers, but that didn't help reaching $6 at all, not so surprising since he would have a 4-card hand from YW. While he struggled with money, I set up a decent Golem engine and even grabbed a Gold before he did. He tried to get Potion later, but that was too late, and I was able to eat all 8 Provinces ! result : First 57-17

Game 2
Worker's Village with Peddler. I usually open WV, but Remake distracted me, so the game was over after he bought 3 Peddlers in one turn.  result : olneyce 45-33

Game 3
Tactician game. I got a big lead for a long time thanks to good draw, but then ... I miscalculated ! I had $12 but I thought it was $13, so I bought a Province and then, sadly after realizing that mistake, Estate. He had a Tactician turn two turns after and able to bought the last two Provinces with exactly $16. I couldn't even get $5 before he played Tactician, because I couldn't draw any of my Golds on those turns. result : olneyce 30-28

Game 4
Vault game. Then to our surprise Chapel appeared as the bane for Young Witch in Black Market ... and worse, olneyce ALWAYS drew Chapel after playing Vault. I had lucky Chapel hands with 4 coppers and 3 coppers + estate, two Estates left just in case of Province tie breaker. result : First 36-23

Game 5
Engine game - TR, Festival, Vault, Mining Village, Council Room, Festival. We both went for Nobles first, then I got several engine cards while olneyce chose Big Money. olneyce grabbed a few Provinces early while I had a decent Fairgrounds deck. But then ... I trashed my only Mining Village in the last turn and was down to 14 different cards ! 14 points lost ! but, well, what's done is done. result : olneyce 56-55

Game 6
I love this board - Highway, Menagerie, Hamlet, Remake, Scheme. We both opened Scheme/Remake, wishing to trim our deck down as fast as possible. However, he was too busy trashing coppers while I grabbed 3 Highways early against his 1. My Highway lead brought me along the way, and I ended the game on piles. result : First 21-10

Game 7
So it came down to the last game ! I thought it was a boring board at first. Witch, Scheme, Spice Merchant, Develop. But then, he taught me a new trick: opening Develop/Spice Merchant, and then developing SM to Witch and Scheme ! very neat trick, and it was the first time I saw it. He cursed me hard, and finished with Stashes/Adventurer for a gauranteed Province each reshuffle. result: olneyce 36-19

Final result - olneyce 4:3 First

I can't believe I made calculation mistake in game 3 and stupid mistake in game 5 ! Thanks for a tense series (and neat trick in game 7) . Congratulation olneyce for advancing to the next round, and hope I could get a revenge series next tournament.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:54:47 pm by first »

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »

Round 5: olneyce (8 seed) vs. First (4 seed) in the Chapel division

With the help of some decent play and a whole lot of dumb luck, olneyce wins 4-3.  We played with veto mode, identical starting hands, and point counter.

Game 1: First 57 – 17 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-101905-62ca8d36.html
Key cards: Young Witch, Apothecary, Golem, Crossroads
I just got crushed in this game.  First got a potion, picked up an Apothecary and Golem, and cruised to big hands.  I fiddled around with Crossroads, trying to get Harems to fuel them, and failing miserably.  I bought silvers, too, which was a big mistake in a game with no $5 cards – which First pointed out and I had not ever really considered.  He bought all 8 Provinces, that’s how badly I lost.

Game 2: olneyce 45 – 33 First
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-104029-e3f4eccb.html
Key cards: Peddler, Worker’s Village, Hunting Party, Remake
I open Watchtower/Worker’s Village, hoping to buy an early Hunting Party and then be able to play my 3 actions, and score an early double-Peddler buy.  Which is precisely what happens.  Turns 6 and 7 are both Peddler/Peddler/Hunting Party buys.  First uses his Watchtower and Remake to trash his deck down quickly, but my significant edge in the Peddler race (and the ability to Remake Peddlers into Platinums) is decisive.  I probably took one turn too long engine-building, but he couldn’t grab enough Colonies to prevent me from coming back. 

Game 3: First 28 – 30 olneyce
Key cards: Tactician, Apothecary, Courtyard
A Tactician mirror game.  He hit his three times in the first seven turns, which is huge.  I took a detour to buy a Potion and then Apothecaries.  I think that was almost certainly a mistake, but it did allow me to draw two huge hands on turns 11 and 14.  I was positive I was going to lose, but my Apothecary got me up to $16 on the last turn, allowing me to buy the last two Provinces.  If he could have just bought a Duchy on either of his last two turns, it would have gone beyond my reach.

Game 4: First 36 – 23 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-110214-fdea4a88.html
Key cards: Vault, Chapel
Chapel showed up as the bane to the Young Witch in the Black Market deck, so we both opened Vault/Chapel.  He quickly trashed bad cards and bought good ones.  I, meanwhile, drew my Vault and Chapel together every single time in the entire game.  You can tell how that ends.

Game 5: olneyce 56 – 55 First
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-111529-d71a176f.html
Key cards: Fairgrounds, Vault, Nobles, Mining Village
This game belongs in the ‘Dear My Opponent: I’m Sorry’ section.  I got for early Mining Villages, to use with Vault and Nobles.  He goes for Fairgrounds.  I have a big lead in the mid-game, but once he gets to 15 cards, he’s able to quickly catch up with 6-point Fairgrounds.  I hoped to buy out the Provinces before he could get the whole thing going, but wasn’t successful.  So that’s a clean victory for First – except that on his final turn he trashed a Mining Village to get the $2, but it was his only Mining Village.  That reduced him to 14 unique cards, stealing 14 points.  Meaning I won by one point.  Ouch.

Game 6: First 21 – 10 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-113747-c027fae2.html
Key cards: Highway, Menagerie, Hamlet, Remake
He gets his engine set up earlier and better.  We both make stupid mistakes toward the end, getting confused by Highway interactions, or forgetting where stuff is in the deck.  But his construction is more than enough to ensure a victory.  I was too focused on trashing my deck down - which prevented me from actually buying the crucial Highways.  I think I could have done something with my turn 10, but I'm still not sure what it would be.

Game 7: olneyce 36 – 19 First
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-115627-927fa68e.html
Key cards: Witch, Develop, Scheme, Adventurer, Stash
I buy Explorer, Adventurer, Develop, Thief, and Stash.  In the final game of the fifth round of the tournament.  And win.  Yay for weak cards!  I open Develop/Spice Merchant and First comments that Develop is terrible for trashing.  I then immediately Develop my Spice Merchant into a Witch and Scheme.  Which lets me dish out two curses before the second reshuffle.  I won the curse race 7/3 thanks to my Schemed Witches.  At that point, since there was absolutely no engine potential, it was simply a matter of accumulating money and getting it all together into one hand.  Stash is obviously helpful there, as is Adventurer and (to a lesser extent) Thief.

I got absolutely walloped in the games that I lost, and should have lost game 5 too.  I only really played well in games 2 and 7.  But that’s the nature of the competition, I guess.  And luck has a way of running out eventually...

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-115627-927fa68e.html
I buy Explorer, Adventurer, Develop, Thief, and Stash.  In the final game of the fifth round of the tournament.  And win.  Yay for weak cards!  I open Develop/Spice Merchant and First comments that Develop is terrible for trashing.  I then immediately Develop my Spice Merchant into a Witch and Scheme.  Which lets me dish out two curses before the second reshuffle.  I won the curse race 7/3 thanks to my Schemed Witches.  At that point, since there was absolutely no engine potential, it was simply a matter of accumulating money and getting it all together into one hand.  Stash is obviously helpful there, as is Adventurer and (to a lesser extent) Thief.
So, is Develop/Random $4 on a Scheme/Mountebank or Scheme/Witch board worth the 65% risk or so that they don't collide?  Or was this an anomaly?

On 2/3 of boards, you have one bad opening card and hopefully one not that bad opening card.  On 1/3 of boards, you have a basically unstoppable topdecked pair of cards.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

So, is Develop/Random $4 on a Scheme/Mountebank or Scheme/Witch board worth the 65% risk or so that they don't collide?  Or was this an anomaly?

On 2/3 of boards, you have one bad opening card and hopefully one not that bad opening card.  On 1/3 of boards, you have a basically unstoppable topdecked pair of cards.
I've been trying to play around with Develop more and usually it doesn't work.  I hadn't seen the Scheme/Curser iteration yet but it looked pretty strong.  I played an earlier tournament game with Develop/Ill-Gotten Gains that was also really powerful.

It seems like if you draw the Develop with Coppers and Estates, you can at the very least turn an Estate into a Scheme which will then get you double-plays on your $4 card.  In this case, getting two quick Spice Merchant plays wouldn't have been too bad.  Especially given the lack of engine-potential on the board - no one was ever going to play double Witches

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »

shark_bait (7) over ARTjoMS (6) in an 8 game series

The games were played !familiar with identical start and no point counter.

Game 1:  shark_bait 35 - ARTjoMS 31

Key Cards:  Hunting Party, Remake, Ill Gotten Gains, Farmland, Bridge

We both open remake silver and proceed to trim our decks.  ARTjoMS stops for a few Ill Gotten Gains while I buy up hunting parties figuring with the cycling I can trash the curses just as fast as they come if he decides to go for the rush.  In turn 14, ART mistakenly trashes his gold for no gain thinking that he was trashing it for a province, but really he just trashed it as the second card of his remake.  With no point counter on, ART buys the last province and takes the loss.

Game 2:  shark_bait 27 - ARTjoMS 27

Key Cards:  Rabble, Upgrade, Pawn, Bank

With both of us having a 5/2 start, he plays a straight Rabble/BM game (opening Rablle/nothing) while I go Upgrade/Pawn.  I pick up another upgrade and at some point, trash it for a gold.  We each get 4 provinces and a snag a duchy to keep the score even.

Game 3:  shark_bait 31 - ARTjoMS 24

Key Cards:  Remake, Haven, Black Market, Apprentice

I take a risk opening with Black Market/Remake while ARTjoMS plays it safe with Remake/Silver.  The main goody in the BM deck was the KC.  I pick up a fishing village at turn 6 and that's all I got.  Although it still helped me in a small way.  Turn 8 I was able to play BM and play my treasure and then play remake trashing only my estate for a silver while still having enough to purchase a gold.  ARTjoMS buys the penultimate province after I had made two duchy purchases hoping that I wouldn't have a province buy.  That wasn't the case and I grabbed the victory.

Game 4:  shark_bait 39 - ARTjoMS 52

Key Cards:  Upgrade, Cache, Warehouse, Moneylender

Divergent strategies!  He opens upgrade/nothing while I go cache/cellar.  I was hoping to make good use of the extra coppers with moneylender, but it isn't really fast enough.  ARTjoMS got a warehouse much ealier than me and that probably made one of the biggest differences.  He was able to play his upgrade frequently getting a trim deck quite quickly.  He rode that deck to a relatively easy victory.

Game 5:  shark_bait 26 - ARTjoMS 35

Key Cards:  Tournament, Border Village, Wharf, Tactician, Peddler

We both open Tournament/Silver and I pick up a tactician and wharf through the first reshuffle.  I try to get a province ASAP for the tournament, I get one, but at the cost of missing a play of my tactician.  I manage to get followers, but his engine overwhelms my early lead.  He picked up a slew of wharves, border villages, and peddlers, proceeding to finish the game on his terms.

Game 6:  shark_bait 28 - ARTjoMS 26

Key Cards:  Swindler, Mountebank, Warehouse, Hoard, et. al.

Tournament and envoy were both in play, but they were not the focal point of this game.  This game was a brutal game featuring the swindler and the mountebank.  My swindler was a bit more effective early game, but he manages a 6-4 curse split.  I was able to get to gold earlier than he was and proceeded to build a small lead with hoard.  Then, his swindler hits a duchy on the 2nd to last turn.  There is one province left and I'm trying to think if I still win by buying the last province.  I take it and sneak away with the victory.

Game 7:  shark_bait 49 - ARTjoMS 74

Key Cards:  Militia, Torturer, Colony/Platinum

Any good fortune I had in the prior games completely left for this game.  His Militia hits a CCCC,Cutpurse on turn 3 and I have two dead turns with all 3 estates on turns 4 and 6.  ARTjoMS got the first platinum on turn 7 and the game progresses into an easy win for him.

Game 8:  shark_bait 29 - ARTjoMS 11

Key Cards:  Goons, Workers Village, Masquerade, Watchtower

We both open Masquerade/Silver and we both go for the same strategy using the cards mentioned above.  ARTjoMS manages to get 2 goons before I get my first, but during that time, I picked up watchtowers and workers villages.  At one point, he passed me a watchtower after a goons/masquerade combo.  I think the watchtower advantage was the big difference in this game.  I was able to recover from anytime he played goons by keeping a workers village and watchtower in hand.

Thanks to ARTjoMS for the fun tense series!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »

I think it's a very valid tactic although like most hinterlands cards you've got to get value from cards all ways round. I don't even think it has to be a killer punch like scheme/mountebank. Just putting a strong 5 cost card and silver on top of your deck could be a game winner.

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:41 pm »

Quasi (2) versus v3ck (23) in the Witch division:

quasi 74 v3ck 55 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-190140-29d69f0c.html

basically vanilla big money with envoy.  i go first, probably ill-advisedly buy an upgrade.

quasi 27 v3ck 30 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-190627-4549c313.html

another big money game.  i open masquerade/silver against militia/lookout, and lose.

quasi 33 v3ck 40 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-191106-ef5ed103.html

another big money game.  i open double swindler against swindler/warehouse.  he got a key swindle of gold to adventurer which ended up hurting.

quasi 34 v3ck 33 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-191439-ccb93433.html

I open silver/chapel against silver/masquerade.  Get great shuffles in the beginning and open a huge lead.  Then i mismanage things a little bit at the end and squeak out the win.

quasi 39 v3ck 33 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-191801-61658898.html

another big money game.  we both pick up a couple shanty towns as labs, and he buys some treasuries when he had 5 but nothing exciting.

quasi 68 v3ck http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/29/game-20111229-192304-8bb098ed.html

In a match of mostly boring games, this one was slight less boring.  Sort of hoped v3ck would fall into the trap of opening ambassador, but we both go for a lot of jacks, into a hybrid gardens strategy.  Maybe a dedicated colony deck would have won, but I don't know.

Overall: quasi 4-2 over v3ck.  Thanks for the games.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:24 am »

Militia is a strong counter against Masquerade (but open Militia/Silver instead of Militia/Lookout because he's not building an engine)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 06:28:09 am »
+1

Thief Division, Fabian (2) beats roku (14) 4 games to 1.

Game 1 Fabian 20 - 21 roku
A pretty stacked Colony board with Young Witch, Mountebank, Minion, Governor, Grand Market, King's Court and stuff. We both open Young Witch/Trade Route (the bane card), and do somewhat normal things. We both favor Governor after buying a few Mountebanks. roku has a small lead in the midgame, mostly thanks to getting to $7 for a King's Court. Then his King's Court and Mountebank collides with 3 Curses left in the pile. Then a few turns later, they collide again, giving me 3 Copper at least. The game is kinda close in the end, as I buy a Colony and try to go for a quick 3-pile ending, buying out the Governors and working on the Trade Route pile. It almost works, but his King's Court shows up yet again on the final turn (score is 20-20, 2 Trade Route left) to do a triple Trade Route for the Trade Route/Trade Route/Estate buy to end it.

Game 2 Fabian 39 - 36 roku
roku goes BM with a Council Room, I open Salvager/Silver and get a Jester and a Council Room eventually. Whether ignoring Salvager is good or not, I can't say, but I felt ok during the game. Of course, going first helps in this type of game. When down 27-26 with $10 and two buys I decide to buy Duchy+Duchy instead of Province+Estate, as I fear his Council Room might get him the last Province+Estate to win by 1 point, and I don't really want a draw anyway (should he buy Province and nothing else). He fearlessely buys the penultimate Province anyway, and after I Salvage a Duchy to buy the last Duchy, he's ahead by 3 points and 1 Province left, so it all comes down to who draws $8 first. I get $10 on my second turn after that.

Game 3 Fabian 5 - -1 roku
University/Vineyard with lots of cantrips. Or so I thought. Turns out the game is quicker than that, as we both aggressively Witch and buy out University. He wins the curse war 6-4 and he gets 6 University to my 4, and his deck is better in pretty much every way. He doesn't seem to notice that the Stables pile is emptying pretty quickly though, and I steal a win by Farmlanding away a Curse for an Estate, and before he finds a Potion to buy ~6 point Vineyards, the match is over with my double Univeristy draw. roku said after we were done that this game was his regret, as he felt he played badly and should have won. I agree that he should have won this game.

Game 4 Fabian 50 - -100 roku
Very quick and straightforward game. We both open Silver/Masquerade, and we both go for Ventures very aggressively. I get the first Platinum, and I'm able to buy Colony on turns 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14. His deck can't quite keep that up, and he resigns when down 50-27 with one Colony left after 14 turns.

Game 5 Fabian 31 - 30 roku
We open nothing/Haggler and dabble in some Remake/Spice Merchant/Monument/Menagerie type cards, while buying some money. I'm up 1 point when he buys the penultimate Province, I get $7 the next turn. He gets $7 on his next turn, then I score $8+ and win the match!

Thanks to roku for the games! I'm 20-4 in the tournament so far, not too bad if I say so myself :) Of course, by mentioning it, I'm jinxing myself. Unless this is a reverse jinx? :p
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:35:21 am by Fabian »

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:49 pm »

Ok, so Guy and I finally finished our match, thanks for your patience!

I won the last two games, for an overall 4-2 victory over Guy Srinivasan

Game 6: toaster 34 - 30 Guy Srinivasan
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/31/game-20111231-105227-433f3515.html

Game 7: toaster 30 - 14 Guy Srinivasan
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/31/game-20111231-110949-e384f66e.html

Commentary to come later this afternoon...thanks for a very interesting match!

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »

Here are the summaries for the matches between RisingJaguar (RJ) and quasi.  All games were played using veto mode, point counter, and identical hands.  I felt like writing longer summaries than usual, so... I'll rank games from a scale of 1-10 in terms of interest to help direct you to better games. Usually the lower games will be BM and the higher games will be close and/or creative engine building

Game 1: Quasi first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-120932-7f5f742d.html
Key Cards: Nobles, Festival, Envoy, Haggler... Interest : 7
He opened Envoy/silver and I considered coppersmith/silver to race for nobles as fast as possible and with drawing decks, coppersmith are a scary source of money but decided to play it safer.  I get two early $6 and choose to buy gold then haggler. I thought he was aiming for a big money deck here with his purchase of gold to start as well, but he rushed for the nobles which i loss 5-3.  This really hurt my early engine as it was just fluttering around for awhile.  He got out to a two province lead and held it the rest of the way through even once my engine got going.
Quasi 47 - 33 RJ

Game 2: RJ first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-121421-f7a10052.html
Key Cards: Mountebank, Counting house, Cellar... Interest: 2
I wish I could make this game really interesting.  On turns 3-4, I got 2 mountebanks which I thought would put me ahead.  But my turns 5-7 never netted me a gold and i was behind.  There were not any spammable $4/$5 cards which led to the not so smart purchase of a $5 cellar in turn 6.  Quasi noted the soft counter of counting house faster than I did and was rewarded with some easy provinces during the last province buys.  After turn 10 or so, it was clear he was going to win.
RJ 23 - 36 Quasi

Game 3: RJ first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-122150-ed907391.html
Key cards: Cartographers, Remodel, Spice Merchant, Smuggler, Caravan... Interest: 4
I was shell shocked from the first two losses because they were so decisive, similar to when I faced painted cow.  I was ready to try something new with Hunting Party/cache/counting house, but with the elimination of Hunting party, that was no longer an option.  We both opened Spice/Smugglers with quite similar strategies of a resemblance of BM.  His Turn 8 nets him Province and cartographer and puts me on the defence.  So much so, that I remodel my gold to province at the end of my deck on turn 12, not smart.  I fall behind 4-2 in provinces but up a duchy and decide that I need to go straight for both provinces since I cartographer-ed a remodel in my next hand.  This came in handy as I remodeled gold and bought an estate for the 1 point win.  This did not feel like I deserved this win, but I'll take it!
RJ 31 - Quasi 30

Game 4: Quasi first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-123701-87ea8260.html
Key cards: Familiar, Ghost ship, Cities, Scheme... Chancellors (whaaaaaaa?) Interest: 8
With the curse attacks Familiar and YW, there were plenty of options but we both opted for familiars with his surprising potion/chancellor.  It came into play right away with a Turn 3 Chancellor bought ghost ship.  Quasi lost that advantage the next turn getting $2P which I'm sure he was disgusted.  We spent the next few turns buying familiars and schemes to curse each other, never getting more than $5 my turn 12.  I immediately thought city was the correct choice since a pile was gone but later regretted never picking up a ghost ship which hurt my cellar so very often.  Quasi used his schemes often with his Ghost ship and later was able to sustain a lengthy engine.  The score is not indicative of the blowout this game is.  If I was not impressed with Quasi before this, I certainly was now with chancellor use!  Things were looking bleak for me.
Quasi 6 - 3 RJ

Game 5: RJ first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-124659-036f8733.html
Key cards: Ambassador, Remake, peddler, Upgrade, Remodel, Scout. Interest: 4
Tactician would have made this more interesting but I took it out because of that reason.  The game changed in my mind once it became a Colony game as upgrading peddlers was a beautiful looking option despite the lack of a +buy.  We both started to cut our decks down, I used Ambs and he used Remake.  His allowed him to get early lead and grab a lot of upgrades to start. where as I did not get $5 until T8.  The card that set my deck apart was probably the use of scout in order to lower the price down of peddler and to line up upgrades.  I'm not sure if Quasi missed it or just constantly had $6, but he never went for peddlers.  This became a huge problem as I got 3 platinums before his first.  On T17, I made a huge mistake with 3 platinums and two upgrades at the end of my deck, I used my upgrade and my three platinums were forced to miss the reshuffle.  I still managed though to get 4-2 Colonies forcing Quasi to buy the Penultimate Colony (the right move I believe) and I remodeled myself to the win. 
RJ 61 - 47 Quasi

Game 6: Quasi first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-125145-aeff94ae.html
Key Cards: Wharf, Highways, Farming Villages... Talismans... Interest: 9
Whenever I see Highway in the cards available, I take my time in the veto selection because of its power.  I see +buys of barons and Horse traders and think if anything is possible, then realize wharf of course has +buys! So I veto horse trader in the hopes to shun him from engine building.  With a 5/2 start, We go wharf/nothing.  His T3/T4 buys are silver/gold (and BM) and I know its time to go for talismans and then get a Tasliman/highway T5.  I baited him out!... or did I trap myself? T7/T8 he buys a province each while I'm stuck with a $2 talisman on T8.  I knew this was a bad idea, Wharf BM is just too fast.  T10 I get a bit lucky lining up my highways together.  Then T12 my engine breaks loose buying 6 highways, 3 wharfs and stables.  T13 My engine is now a big boy and gobbles up all the remaining provinces for the win.  One of my favourite engines I have ever built!
Quasi 21 - 42 RJ

Game 7: Quasi first http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/02/game-20120102-130714-ef531b6b.html
Key Cards: Remodel, Warehouse, Library, Farming Village, Conspirators, Woodcutters... Duchess... Interest: 7 (but 10 since its game 7)
Our plans were very similar, shaped around warehouses and libraries.  His was much more focused on Conspirators while mine was towards working more actions in (in order to lower the hand count even more).  He makes the first mistake going conspirator/warehouse instead of remodel.  However with my remodel and warehouse, I was left with a lot of $2 which I decided to buy Duchess with.  I'm still not sure if it was the right choice or not, but the results were good.  It allowed me to get early T4 library.  At this point, I feel I erased the second turn disadvantage with my drawing luck.  I make a couple mistakes in purchasing by avoiding woodcutter early to further build pieces and conspirators which was the whole point of this engine.  Then I purchase a harem.  I realize treasures slow down library set ups, but I felt it was a good tiebreaker as well as remodel to province was sneaky.  I remodel that harem in T14 to put me up provinces 4-2.  He replies by getting duchy/province, to force the winner of this game and this set to get the final province.  The next turn, I manage to get my engine going but the lack of conspirators and previous trashed duchess make it hard for me to get money.  After my second library, I have $7 with a farming village to go... 'Heart of the cards' on that click, I grab the woodcutter to get $9 and the final province (granted there was one other card in that deck and I believe it was a green card but that makes it less climatic)!
Quasi 29 - 36 RJ

Another close set, and another comeback win.  Thank you Quasi for the games who dominated on the BM stage easily and my engine probably got the correct draws.  Love to hear feedback, good or bad.  I'm now in the Final Four (play March Madness Fanfare)!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »

However with my remodel and warehouse, I was left with a lot of $2 which I decided to buy Duchess with.  I'm still not sure if it was the right choice or not, but the results were good.

Congratulations for reaching the semi-final RJ. Open wishing well + remodel for that one though and take the warehouse later.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »

However with my remodel and warehouse, I was left with a lot of $2 which I decided to buy Duchess with.  I'm still not sure if it was the right choice or not, but the results were good.

Congratulations for reaching the semi-final RJ. Open wishing well + remodel for that one though and take the warehouse later.

I did consider this option because wishing well does work nicely with remodel imo, but decided against it since wishing well works against libraries (which was the basis of my engine).

Edit: It's probably better described that wishing well does not have much (or any) synergy with library as opposed to warehouse
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:18:38 am by RisingJaguar »

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 04:39:49 am »

I did consider this option because wishing well does work nicely with remodel imo, but decided against it since wishing well works against libraries (which was the basis of my engine).
I don't see why Wishing Well works against Libraries. I agree it doesn't help Library like Warehouse does, but I'm not sure it can harm the Library because (1) Library can skip the Wishing Well, and (2) Wishing Well at worst can wish for a card that is non-existent in your deck if you don't want to increase handsize? Or you can wish for a card that you would want to draw with your Library.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »

Quarterfinals: olneyce (32 seed) vs. shark_bait (25 seed)

olneyce wins 4-1.  We played with random card selection, no identical starting hands, and no point counter.

Game 1: olneyce 33 – 24 shark_bait
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-135800-a46de80b.html
Key cards: Alchemist, Herbalist, Trade Route
Pretty straightforward Alchemist/Herbalist combo.  The only real difference is that I bought a Trade Route to try and clear out my deck a bit, and a couple Havens to try and re-arrange funds.  I'm not sure if that was the difference-maker, or if it was simply the luck of the draw.

Game 2: shark_bait 30 – 33 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-140856-1e0c7a2e.html
Key cards: Torturer, Grand Market, Peddler, Apothecary, Baron, Great Hall
I started 5/2, which didn't seem ideal, since the only 5s were Torturer and Embassy, and there were no villages.  I decided to basically just go Big Money with a Torturer.  He managed to get an engine humming relatively quickly, with Great Halls into Peddlers, and Apothecaries to organize his deck.  It just wasn't quite quick enough, as I bought Provinces on each turn from 14-17.  He got the last two for a 3-5 Province split, but didn't have quite enough points from the Great Halls, Fairgrounds, etc. to catch up.

Game 3: shark_bait 31 – 18 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-141518-b485cf2b.html
Key cards: Jack, Hamlet
I went for a boilerplate double-Jack strategy, while he bought Hamlets.  I don't remember what the conclusion was from the simulators on this question, but the evidence of this game suggests that Hamlet+Jack is much better than the simple bot.

Game 4: olneyce 61 – 15 shark_bait
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-143058-94d7c43f.html
Key cards: Alchemist, Fishing Village, Watchtower, Goons, Golem
This was a very interesting board with some massive synergies.  The Fishing Villages reduced hand-size so the Watchtower could draw.  The Watchtower countered the opponent's Goons.  The Alchemist allowed for massive draws.  And the Goons allowed for lots of points.  We played almost identical strategies, but his draw was terrible (getting 2P on turn 3) while mine was really good.  By turn 8 I got a draw of: Copper, Goons, 2 Fishing Villages, Watchtower.  It was pretty much off to the races after that.  Despite the lopsided final score, I'm not sure either of us made any clear mistakes, or made any especially insightful plays.  I'd be curious if observers can see anything that he could have done to recover, or if it was just inevitable after the opening shuffle luck.

Game 5: shark_bait 16 – 21 olneyce
Key cards: Sea Hag, Governor, Goons
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-144812-2ae531c9.html
This was a crazy-good engine board, with Governor, Goons, Stables, Tournament, Throne Room, Highway, and Mining Village.  But right in the middle of all that was Sea Hag.  So we started out by cursing and only transitioned to other things later.  He didn't think an engine could get going with all the curses+hags lying around, but I had faith in the Governor. My thought was that +3 cards would get through the mess, while the +1 card for him would be far less damaging than normal.  He went mostly for Goons, with a few Governors.  On turn 16, I played Governor as a super-Lab five times and the ONLY card left in my deck was the Goons I was hoping to use to close things off.  That was pretty damaging, but it gave me faith that using Governor for the draw definitely could work.  He was racing to clear out the estates before I could get more points to jump ahead, but on the last turn I drew most of my deck, played my one Tournament with my one Province to get a Followers, which gave me an Estate.  Then I used my two buys to get a Province and the final Estate.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 06:47:23 pm »

Thanks to olneyce for playing.  He played very well and is a very deserving player to represent the chapel division.  I won't add much because olneyce summed up the games very well.  However, here's a few of my thoughts and questions for discussion.

Game 2:  I open with Baron/Silver hoping for the best case scenario of Turn 3 or 4 grand market.  It doesn't happen and quite honestly, there aren't any 4 or 5 cost cards that I want for my deck.  I bought one more silver and then solely great halls with 3.  I'm wondering whether it would have been better to take a great hall to make peddlers cheaper or the silver for a greater chance of hitting the Baron/Estate/Silver turn.

Game 4:  Like olneyce said, was this was over from the first 8 turns or was there any chance for me to salvage the game?

It was a pleasure to be in this tournament!  Thanks to theory and rrenaud for organizing and best of luck to the rest of the players! 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:56 am »

Congrats to olneyce! Here's my take on some of the games:

The Jack game suggests Hamlet is a good complement and I'm sure it's better than the simple Jack bot, but the simulator doesn't play Hamlet well in combo with Jack (not yet anyway, I might add a fix).

Game 4 was just very unlucky for shark_bait and olneyce got all nice draws.

The Baron/Silver game is interesting and I put it in the simulator (don't try it agains Torturer though, because Estates will be discarded with a Baron in hand):

Code: [Select]
<player name="Baron/Apothecary into Grand Market"
 author="Geronimoo"
 description="Open Baron/Silver, get Apothecaries for a nice draw engine and gain Grand Markets and Peddlers for money. XXXXThis bot buys no treasure apart from the starting Silver!">
 <type name="Province"/>
 <type name="UserCreated"/>
 <type name="TwoPlayer"/>
 <type name="Competitive"/>
 <type name="Bot"/>
 <type name="Engine"/>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="getTotalMoney"/>
         <operator type="greaterOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="18.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
         <operator type="smallerOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Great_Hall">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="2.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Grand_Market"/>
   <buy name="Apothecary"/>
   <buy name="Gold"/>
   <buy name="Peddler"/>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="6.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Baron">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Baron"/>
         <operator type="smallerThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Potion">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Potion"/>
         <operator type="equalTo" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="0.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Baron">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Silver">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Silver"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Great_Hall"/>
</player>

Code: [Select]
<player name="Baron into Grand Market"
 author="Geronimoo"
 description="Open Baron/Silver, gain Grand Markets and Peddlers when possible. ">
 <type name="Province"/>
 <type name="TwoPlayer"/>
 <type name="UserCreated"/>
 <type name="Competitive"/>
 <type name="Bot"/>
 <type name="Engine"/>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="getTotalMoney"/>
         <operator type="greaterOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="18.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Great_Hall">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Grand_Market"/>
   <buy name="Gold"/>
   <buy name="Apothecary"/>
   <buy name="Peddler"/>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="6.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Baron">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Potion">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Potion"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Baron">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Silver">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Silver"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Great_Hall"/>
</player>

I made a pure engine bot that doesn't buy Gold and only the single Silver to kick start the deck.
The other bot is more of Big Money and doesn't buy Apothecaries.
The engine bot loses slightly to the BM bot, but I think if you can get a turn 3 Grand Market, you'll be better off building an engine. If not, just go BM (but still buy GM over Gold)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:04 am »

WanderingWinder defeats toaster, 4-0, in the last round of 16 match.
I have videos up of the match, though I don't think they're as good as what I've posted before - I really wasn't focused on the videos at all. (They are a higher resolution than those of my last match though, and they aren't as terrible now that I watch them as I thought they were after I made them. They're also much shorter than the allfail match videos).
Games were played with identical starting hands and the point counter. No Veto Mode.
Here's a breakdown of each game:
Game 1: WW 36 - toaster 36 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120106-181643-cb08b13e.html
First thing of note in this match is that the 2nd player won EVERY game. This one I got on tiebreak.
He opens potion/silver, obviously heading for familiars. I go tournament/lighthouse, anticipating blocking most of the curses with lighthouses and being pretty well ahead on time. He misses his potion until turn 5, where he gets $4P, but buys a tournament. This really puzzles me, because he's just wasted a lot of tempo with the potion if he DOESN'T go for familiar. But as it turns out, despite this, he gets to province first (turn 8) and connects it with tournament first (turn 11). This upsets me a little; he takes Trusty Steed as his prize, which I think is a mistake (check out the thread in the help forum from earlier this week). Anyway, my deck being a little better pays off, even though he starts hitting me with a couple of familiar blast, and duchies and the presence of tunnel as 2 VP when I can't reach 5 help me hold him off. He ends the game with the score tied rather than playing on - well, I think I had the better of things regardless, but he certainly wasn't totally hopeless. Well, I mean, he was, because I could buy the last province next turn anyway, but he couldn't have known that.

Game 2: WW 45 - Toaster 32 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120106-182047-c39e9291.html
A pretty lackluster game. He goes for black market (I looked but didn't see anything too too special, and I don't like BM in general; waste of a terminal slot), I go for feast into haggler. He picks up a chapel out of the black market on turn 5, which I think is a huge mistake, mostly because chapel itself will be pretty ineffectual at that point, but also he could have had a gold otherwise. I go for delayed bishops and some more hagglers along with as much money as I can muster. I get a pretty nice lead and just coast in.

Game 3: WW 34 - Toaster 29 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120106-182545-fe797fb3.html
My plan here is to go for governors to grab a bunch of golds and then mega-turn, with a bridge as my terminal to also support more mega-turn possibilities. He opens with salvager, which is something I'm generally pretty loathe to do. He springs that into Ghost Ship BM, salvaging a province as early as turn 12! Fairgrounds gives me a good way of keeping up, even with his somewhat of a lead early. I never get my mega-turn to really go off like I want it, but turn 14 I am able to province-Fairground, and my much stronger deck at this point carries the lead home. It's important that I was making sure of the score and covering all the possibilities he had on his options at the end.

Game 4: WW 19 - toaster 8 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120106-183218-c8fd0906.html
A sea hag game. He opens sea hag/smugglers which I think is pretty terrible, but maybe isn't as bad as I first thought. Anyway, the presence of apprentice makes me want to load up on sea hags. I get a HUGE lead in the curse war, winning it 7-3, which pretty much kills the game right there. I could have sought to 3-pile if I'd been better preparing earlier on for it, but I stick with my plan with apprentices. toaster takes a bunch of feasts into apprentices to try to catch up in cleaning his deck, but unsurprisingly I'm faster, even with getting a couple sea hags stuck at the end of the deck without apprentices a few times. Anyway, I'm able to three-pile on curses, apprentices, and pawns with what had seemed a pretty comfortable lead for a while.

Overall, I feel sorta bad for toaster. He'd gotten hung up with something else before the match, and I can't help wondering if that affected his play. I know he's a better player in general than what got through in the match. But then again, two of the games were quite close.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:48 am »

For Game 3, I am pretty surprised that your plan somehow does not involve a Ghost Ship... should be really effective with Governors I think. Very interesting way you played the Governor nevertheless.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »

This is the only division where the top two seeds made it into the division finals ...

(The others being 4v2, 12v2, and 8v7.)

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »

I definitely wasn't as focused as I could've been during the series...I was hoping to pick up a couple of games, but I wasn't expecting any different outcome to the overall match.  I think that expectation may have hurt my play further.  WW summarized the strategy pretty well.  One comment on the first game...I realized around turn 3/4 that going Familiar was a terrible idea on that board, but I'd already bought the Potion by then.  Not wanting to throw good money after bad, I bought the tournament at that point.  Clearly the better play was not to buy the potion, but given that I'd already done that, it seemed like shifting gears was still the best option for me.

P.S.  Also, my apologies to WW for not being particularly talkative during the match.  I wasn't in the most social of moods and I hope I didn't come across as rude, that wasn't my intention.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:50:15 pm by toaster »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 10:28:42 pm »
+1

It was definitely much closer than the 4-1 suggests. I will try to make more thorough analyses tomorrow and then do a real, real top write-up. Maybe an after-the-fact video (the ones I made during are up already). But I intend to do analysis of these more than I've ever done, including those old write up styles like got used on the Annotated Games on the blog. Though I probably won't actually cover every single turn of every game in detail.

Edit: I'd do it now, but I'm too much coming off adrenaline power, the nerves; think I might make myself sick.
I'm gonna go lay down...

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »

They're up where? DominionStrategy youtube channel? Uploading still then, I assume. Or some place else?

Starting to calm down a little, but still pretty wound up. I got crushed in game #5 to something I didn't see coming because I'm an idiot, but the other games were.. very close, let's just say. I think it's fair to say it could just as easily have been a 4-0 victory to me (well, WW would go first in those games of course so it wouldn't happen, but you get my point). I felt like I was a favorite in every other game, but then again I pretty much always feel that way so it probably doesn't mean much.

Looking forward to videos and write-ups etc. Congrats again, needless to say you played very well. WW now extends his lead in head to head battles from 21-18 to 25-19, which also upsets me :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:43:02 pm by Fabian »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.