Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Schedule and Results, Part II  (Read 50834 times)

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: Schedule and Results, Part II
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »

Gardens Division, Round 4 - (6) mith d. (30) ckb, 4-2

Game 1: mith 44-42 ckb
Game 2: ckb 41-45 mith
Game 3: ckb 47-32 mith
Game 4: mith 32-43 ckb
Game 5: mith 48-30 ckb
Game 6: ckb 47-61* mith

*My computer completely freaked out in the middle of ckb's final turn, but as you can see from the log I had the final Great Hall buy in hand, and ckb was kind enough to call it at 4-2 rather than demand a replay.

Game 1 was Vault/Tunnel; my opening Swindler hit his, and that largely the deciding factor, though I did start buying Estates rather early and nearly cost myself the game.

Game 2 was Baron/Stables; again, I had better luck in the opening, this time with turn 3/4 double Gold while he took Stables/Silver and a Spy those turns. With a few Gold I switched to Stables, and was able to split the Duchies 5-3.

Game 3 had Witches to start, and I tried Smithy to rush up to Border Village and King's Court, while he went for Caravans and Markets. My King's Courts never cooperated (thanks to the Curses, mostly), and I regretted not investing more heavily in Markets for +Buy.

Game 4 was Mountebank... I went for Walled Villages and Council Rooms, while he focused on Cartographers and an Apprentice, and his deck quality ultimately won out. Turns 18/19 were particularly annoying, as I Courtyarded a Mountebank only to draw it with another Mountebank and a Council Room.

Game 5 I am quite proud of... We both opened Cache/Chapel, and my Chapel waited until turn 5, so I decided to rush Cities and buy a bunch of Monuments. After falling well behind on Provinces, UCS took over.

Game 6 was Apothecary/Goons. I grabbed a second Potion early which gave me a 7-3 split, grabbed a third Goons, and also got to the Banks first. I was ahead by about a dozen most of the game, after that.

Thanks again for the match, ckb, and sorry about the computer troubles!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:59 pm »

Code: [Select]
mith plays a Chapel.
... trashing 3 Coppers and a Cache.

Love it! Congrats on that one, I doubt I would have ever thought of going City/Monument after the Chapel failed.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 04:01:29 pm »

No logs- but sharkbait defeats ehunt 4 3. Thanks for the games!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

sharkbait (7) over ehunt (2) in the Chapel Division in a 7 game series

Game 1:  shark_bait 3 - ehunt -100

Key Cards:  Familiar, Scheme, Laboratory, Forge

This was a quick game decided by the fact that ehunt tried to circumvent familiar by buying labs --> forge.  Unfortunately for him, he was not able to get a $7 buy before my familiar's shut him down.  The curse giving was expedited by the presence of scheme.  I should also point out that in this game, I had the lucky familiar.  I was able to purchase familiar's on all passes through my deck.  If I had missed once in my first of second chance, I think ehunt would have taken the victory.

Game 2:  shark_bait 35 - ehunt 39

Key Cards:  Nobles, Spice Merchant

This one is not as close as it looks.  We both open spice merchant to trash coppers.  At the end of the game, I suicide knowing it's impossible for me to catch up.  I started greening in the province category before ehunt, but his noble advantage is that he had enough nobles to not stall at the end game.  He caught up and passed me as I struggled to hit 8$.

Game 3:  shark_bait 31 - ehunt -100

Key Cards:  Gardens, Royal Seal, Hoard, Workshop

I open royal seal/copper while he opens workshop/copper.  It's quite obvious here that both of us will be obtaining some gardens.  ehunt plays a standard workshop/garden based strategy while I go for something a bit different.  I pick up a couple of hoards and another royal seal and although I lose the garden split 3-5, I am consistently able to hit 5$-8$ to buy duchies, fairgrounds, and provinces all while gaining and top decking golds due to the royal seal/hoard combo. 

Game 4:  shark_bait 39 - ehunt 42

Key Cards:  King's Court, Throne Room, Caravan, Tactician, Develop

In this game, ehunt opens with develop/caravan and I wonder why he's doing that.  After a while, it becomes clear that he is going to use it as a pseudo +buy by trashing King's Court's into provinces and other cards into other VP.  I play a more standard strategy and opened caravan/smugglers.  I get rolling well before he does, but on my last pass through my deck, I crash and burn.  My deck needed my Throne Room's and King's Court's to hit my caravans and well, they didn't.  ehunt like any good player takes full advantage and pulls the win right from under my nose.

Game 5:  shark_bait 5ish - ehunt 10ish

Key cards:  Ill Gotten Gains, Tunnel

This game was a typical Ill Gotten Gain's rush except that we had a convenient lower cost VP card to buy in addition to duchy.  ehunt won the curse split easily and took a 3-pile victory.

Game 6:  shark_bait 42 - ehunt -100

Key Cards:  Ill Gotten Gains, Watchtower, Hunting Party, Hoard, Possession

Another Ill Gotten Gains game, this time with the presence of watchtower, we don't go for the rush.  I buy a single one on turn 4 after I see that he revealed his watchtower the prior turn to try and bog down his hunting parties by adding a unique card.  We both go for the Hunting Parties while I pick up a hoard and start greening.  ehunt get's a potion to grab a possession, but by the time he get's it, I've greened up enough that it won't be 100% effective.  He steals a couple good hands from me, but also get's a junk one.

Game 7:  shark_bait 29 - ehunt -100

Key Cards:  Tournament, Courtyard, Festival

I felt bad that this had to be the last game.  The luck couldn't have gone worse for him.  First, I manage a turn 6 province without having a gold in my deck.  Then on turns 7 and 8, I use the one province to block him twice thanks to courtyard.  Then to top it off, I grab the follower's on turn 8 and force him to discard a province gaining turn.

We definitely had our fair share of luck in this series.  Thanks to ehunt for playing and sorry that game 7 hinged the luck of the draw.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 08:11:55 pm »
+1

Witch division: Quasi (2) vs. Hurr (7) 

quasi 62 Hurr 42 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-160512-8a4d33dd.html

I went for a junky duke strategy, it beat vanilla big money.

quasi 1 Hurr http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-161443-1fd78d70.html

Er, kind of embarrassing.  I think we had the same strategy in mind, he just got his running much much much quicker than me.  I welcome your thoughts on openings here: his loan/bridge opening trounced my silver/potion.  I was worried about getting to 7 for king's court, without which there were no actions.  Margrave was probably not a great move either.

quasi 36 Hurr 13 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-162054-52f08c5f.html

Hurr said he didn't think he had any chance going second in a militia big money board.  So he did something with university and margraves.  Got an early lead, and then salvaged away.

quasi 48 Hurr 73 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-162809-2c12760b.html

My stupid experiment with fool's gold in a colony game crashes and burns, which I'm sure surprises no one.

quasi 33 Hurr 39 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-163414-9686c12a.html

His wharf/BM beats my sort of bad attempt at making an engine, although I came close to squeaking out a win.

quasi 31 Hurr 18 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-164106-577e09fe.html

Nice engine game, assuredly my first turn advantage is the reason for winning.  The provinces got bought up in 3 consecutive turns.

quasi 43 Hurr 36 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-165230-129219e1.html

Hurr got shafted by militia the first six times he got to six.  In my defense, I did have two militias to his one in the early game.  Then things sort of slowly crawled to a close three-pile for me with goons.

Thanks for the games Hurr.  Final score is quasi 4, Hurr 3.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 10:17:05 pm »

Round 4: olneyce (8 seed) vs. lolrob (16 seed) in the Chapel division

olneyce wins 4-3.

I won the first game as the second player, and then the first player won every game for the rest of the series.

Game 1: lolrob 4 - 11 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-174209-c0b4fb31.html
Key cards: Young Witch, Black Market, Highway, Pearl Diver (bane)
We started out cursing, and then stocked up on Pearl Divers so that sort of petered out.  But I got way ahead in the Pearl Divers, so I slowly added to my curse lead. The real game-breaker was me drawing Goons out of the Black Market.  Since our decks were so wretched, no one was going to be buying any Provinces.  That meant I could accumulate VPs and then end the game on piles.  Highways really helped in that respect, too.

Game 2: lolrob 35 – 34 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-175437-c1a594a8.html
Key cards: Upgrade, Witch, Golem
I ignored Witch and Golem, and had fate shine on me.  His Witch fell until turn 7, and I happened to have my one Moat in hand.  I didn’t actually get a curse until turn 10.  And, he missed 4P several times.  I figured I could just tighten up my deck with all the Upgrades, buy a bunch of Provinces – and have the capacity to weed out the occasional curse.  However, once his deck finally got going he caught up pretty quickly.  I bought the second to last Province to put me up by 6 as the second player, but his deck was strong enough to get more than $8, with extra buys, so he won by one point.

Game 3: olneyce 32 – 18 lolrob
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-180608-bb4d435d.html
Key cards: Fishing Village, Sea Hag, Alchemist, Apprentice
We started out Hagging each other, but I bought a second while he stuck with one, allowing me to win the curse race 6-4.  Then we transitioned into an Apprentice game.  The major difference is that I went after Alchemists, which let me draw most of my deck several times.  I had a pretty firm lead, but he actually pulled ahead on his turn 25 only to have me buy the last two Provinces on my next turn.

Game 4: lolrob 32 – 18 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-181535-c3495fa0.html
Key cards: Familiar, Wharf, Expand, Salvager
Not having learned my lesson from game 2, I again tried to ignore the Curses.  I bought an Embargo to open, hoping to get Familiar embargoed before he could buy one.  I wasn’t able to do it, though.  And even after I did, he still bought another.  Because, you know, taking one curse in exchange for the ability to dish out 5 or 6 is pretty reasonable.  I was hoping to use all the trash-for-benefit cards to both erase curses and bootstrap me up to Provinces.  But, for obvious reasons, it didn’t work out.

Game 5: olneyce 49 – 26 lolrob
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-182447-dc1a523e.html
Key cards: Governor, Goons
Pretty straightforward.  I managed to get the Governor/Goons combo going first, and that was pretty much the ballgame. 

Game 6: lolrob 61 – 40 olneyce
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-183724-9b0bb5fd.html
Key cards: Scrying Pool, Haggler, Throne Room, Remodel, Governor
I just got crushed here.  He set up his TR/Scrying Pool engine pretty quickly and once it was humming was able to Haggle Colony/Platinum buys.  And then remodel the Platinums into more Colonies.

Game 7: olneyce 50 – 39 lolrob
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-184630-50dca53c.html
Key cards: Harvest, Silk Road, Tunnel, Harem
We both went after the Silk Roads, but I got ridiculously lucky.  A turn 4 Mint got rid of five of my coppers, freeing me to Mint more Harems, use my Harvest to discard Tunnels, and just trot along my merry way.  It’s kind of a shame when such a fun series gets resolved on something so trivial and luck-based, but I guess that’s part of the game.

roku

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 03:25:39 am »

Thief Division, round4 roku vs monsterbrick (4-1)

1.http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-225916-5f5ba61b.html
2.http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-230951-2d2e3eba.html
3.http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-230347-2e3be66a.html (I lost)
4.http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-231500-8dbe3dc1.html
Suddenly he resigned, and forgot to take the log. He said "good match and I have to go".
I told him whether this match counts, but he didn't reply.
I thought my deck was better than him and he didn't say anything, so I got this game.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:05 am »
+1

Thief Division, WanderingWinder defeated timchen (allfail), 4-3.

A very close series. I was waiting for WW to post his thoughts, but then it turned out I can't sleep well without getting the thoughts out from my mind. Well, here it is...

game1: WW 39-allfail 27
I started second, turned out to be an ominous start... Relevant cards are Fool's Gold, Remake, Horse Traders, Hagglers, and Bank. I saw WW opened remake with a $4. I am obsessed with Fool's Gold recently and instantly think Horse Trader+Fool's Gold is going to get me to victory. I opened Horse Trader+ Fool's Gold. Now WW got an embargo on turn 3. I thought oh-no. Forgot about that... but I could still get 4 FGs before his first embargo... and probably more via hagglers later. My dream was scattered when my HT refused to show up at turn 4, and his embargo showed up at his turn 5. I have basically no chance thereafter, as his turn 3 and 4 embargos drawn perfectly at his turn 5 and 6 to give him 2 golds, while locking me out. Still, it seems to me now that even if I do get the HT at turn 4 (and didn't make the error later try to get a remake), I am not going to win with the FG embargoed. Good job reading the board correctly here.

game2: allfail 40- WW 35
This one is interesting too. The important cards here are Chapel, expand, and Bureaucrat. I thought for a while and opened Bureaucrat+Silver, vs. his Bureaucrat+Chapel. I don't know, I figured this board is at best marginal for chapeling; I also feel bureaucrat conflicts somewhat with chapel as an opening, since the top deck silver is probably something I don't want with the chapel in my next hand. I also recalled an old article at BGG about how b-crat beats chapel. The game is very close, however, with him getting at the Provinces earlier than I did. My failed attempts at the Provinces (became expands) saved me in the end game though.

game3: WW 78- allfail 62
A very lackluster board with Platinums and Colonies... relevant cards are Fortune Teller, Shanty Town, Inn, Explorer, Bank, Expand. I still don't know how to play this board. I thought Silvers are bad, but this board it is hard to skip silvers. WW opened FT+silver. I thought FT was a bad idea since it cycles through my bad cards... how wrong I was. I opened shanty+silver, planned to use shanty as a semi-lab, trying to get to Golds faster without buying too many silver equivalents. The problem is, the FT hit me hard. With the guaranteed estate on top, a single +2 cards is not going to bring you to $6. He got an explorer, which I thought was also not so good, but my own strategy was even worse. Also, with Bank in play it is probably ok. I lost hard on this one.

game4: allfail 79- WW 52
Important cards: Fairgrounds, Tunnel, Cartographer, Masquerade. This board is FG-friendly, with lots of card one might integrate to a deck without sacrificing too much. We both opened Masq+silver. While WW's draw on the combo Cartographer+Tunnel wasn't so great, I feel getting the Tunnel early is actually a mistake. The chance of Cartographer finding the tunnel in the 4 cards is less than 1/3. Since gold can be reached with Masq quite easily, I feel getting a dead card early in exchange for the chance of extra golds isn't really worth it. I think WW also erred on getting his first Province early (maybe desperate on his draw?)

game5: WW 45- allfail 32
Important card: Witch
I don't know why I am always punished by trying to play a luck-dependent game. Last round when I didn't veto swindler I didn't draw my two swindlers in turn 3 and 4. In this game I didn't veto witch, and WW got an impeccable draw. While his draw probably halted a bit afterwards to let me split the curse 6-4; the golds he accumulated is more than enough for a lopsided game.

game6: allfail 86- WW 57
Important cards: Colony, Treasure Map, Warehouse
I felt pretty sorry about this game. WW should probably have won. Being mad at the witch in the last game, I vetoed her without second thought. I didn't notice the obvious TM+Warehouse combo and opened conspirator. (Thinking of something like warehouse-warehouse-conspirator...? quite far fetched) After I saw WW's opening, I thought I had already lost. Somehow it was still not too late to get TMs, and I even triggered mine earlier than his. A couple of good draws immediately after (3 plats in 3 consecutive turns, with my w-w-c combo actually worked!) pretty much sealed the game for me.

game7: WW 48- allfail 30
Important cards: Wharf, Pawn, Stables, Inn
We both opened Wharf+Pawn. I did second think about the Pawn, but it seems to me early blind draw +1 coin +1 card is probably not that bad. He got another wharf at turn 4, where I stuck at $4 for both my turns after the first shuffle, since I have drawn the pawn dead... I got more silvers so I switched to stables, hoping to align my draws more consistently. For this board I am not sure how to play a Wharf engine: the village is too expensive. WW was playing mostly Wharf+BM I think; nevertheless, he also seized a good chance at turn 6, not playing his Wharf, only to let his newly bought inn to be shuffled with the two wharves in the discard pile. With the nice draw from the two wharves, he got 3 golds. The game is pretty much over by then.

Overall this is a very close series, each of us had his own share of good/bad luck. I was outplayed without excuses in the first two games I lost though; WanderingWinder is the worthy winner. Wish you best of luck in your next round!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:05:26 am by timchen »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 08:01:14 am »
+3

WanderingWinder over allfail (his handle here is timchen) 4-3 in a very very tense match, thief bracket.
Video commentary on each of the games is up here: http://www.livestream.com/wanderingwinder
There may be some periods of silence and I'm not talking as long as I'd like, because I was extremely focused on the match. I also hope the background noise isn't too bad, but there were a couple other things going on at home last night.
For future recordings, I'm going to try to try and up the quality a little more to see if things can get clearer, but I think you can basically make things up even as is, though you might want to go full screen.

Game 1: WW 39 - allfail 27 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-181635-6c5ce306.html
Interesting little game. He goes for Horse Traders/Fool's Gold. I go for Remake/silver. And my plan to buy an embargo right after he buys the first fool's gold (which I thought very probable) work's out very nicely, with me getting the embargo down on fool's gold while he has 3 of them. I think that was pretty much game, but he fought on rather valiantly, using hagglers to pick up fool's golds on gains. I'm pretty proud of this one.
Game 2: WW 25 - allfail 30 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-182435-a3d54d73.html
I go for chapel/bureaucrat. He goes for bureaucrat+money. Well, I get a touch unlucky with the early chapelling, but more I get unlucky in my final reshuffle by not hitting any of my money until it's too late... I really don't understand why he started buying duchies so early here, but I guess it worked out for him in the end? Expands also helped him a lot. I don't have a great feel for that card.
Game 3: WW 78 - allfail 62 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-184036-beb3f8ef.html
A really weak board. I go for Fortune Teller into Explorer into some inn/bank/expand stuff. Man, I really don't know what to do with expands. He goes for some shanty town/inn/golem thing with an expand eventually. I really don't get it a ton. It's a slow as molasses game, but I don't really know what to do better here.
Game 4: WW 52 - allfail 79 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-185335-c995d52c.html
I'm totally outplayed this game. I do the exact thing I say is a bad, trappy strategy and go for some cartographer/tunnel thing. Did I ever mention that tunnel's reaction is something I really really don't have down? I probably shouldn't tell you guys all my weaknesses. Oh well. Anyway, it doesn't help that I can't get a gold off the thing for a few reshuffles. He plays... basically what I think is the right strategy here, masq+money, dip for monument, and cover to squelch my fairgrounds in time.
Game 5: WW 45 - allfail 32 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-190254-cd18bd5e.html
A witch game. I actually pick up walled village very nicely here (It's the first time I was actually happy that my village was walled). Anyway, probably mostly due to luck (his witch misses its first reshuffle), I win the curse war 6-4, at which point I soon have more points and a better deck. And I go gardens, which is key in most cursing games, to really slam the door. I think I might have played slightly better than him here, but I'd be lying if I didn't say this one was largely luck.
Game 6: WW 57 - allfail 86 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-191419-6846ae9b.html
Big lopsided loss, and I actually think I outplayed him. I go for warehouse/Treasure map, he opens warehouse/conspirator and then goes for treasure maps as soon as he sees what I've done. And he gets them to go off first, giving him a whole turn advantage on top of his first turn advantage by midway through the game, simply on the shuffle. That's how things go, though.
I want to mention that I'm not entirely sure conspirator stuff isn't the way to go here (though I don't think it is), but if you want that, I think you want to workshop into it and grab a whole bunch of conspirators and warehouses and maybe an oasis or village or something pretty quick. But without the card draw, I think it'll be a little tough.
Game 7: WW 48 - allfail 30 http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-192343-4867ce82.html
We both open Pawn/Wharf. I'm not sure nothing/wharf isn't better. Anyway, I play the pawn and get 5 on turn 4, he plays the wharf, drawing the pawn, and getting only 4. I'm really proud of my turn 6, where instead of playing pawn for something more normal (with an action) and then playing wharf, I play pawn for card and money, drawing a copper that's the last card in my deck, buying an inn and shuffling it and two wharves back on top. Not sure about my turn 8 decision to buy two golds instead of, say, province and silver. allfail goes for wharf into some stables thing. I just don't like stables so much, and especially not here. Anyway, I think I probably played a bit inaccurately, because it was turn 19 for me to get 5 provinces, 4 duchy, 6 estate, and that seems a bit slow compared to even BM/Wharf. I dunno, maybe not. Incidentally, I got a little paranoid and spooked on turn 15, where a double province for him would win. Well, I really didn't think he could do it really, but... oooh it had me scared for a second.
Anyway, it was a very very tense match for me overall, well-played by both sides. And first player won every game, bu I don't think actual first-player advantage was a huge huge factor here. Thanks to timchen for the excellent match and making my frightened as fright.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 08:15:52 am »

Hey! It's quite interesting that we commented on so many things in common! :P

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 11:53:35 am »

quasi 1 Hurr http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-161443-1fd78d70.html

Er, kind of embarrassing.  I think we had the same strategy in mind, he just got his running much much much quicker than me.  I welcome your thoughts on openings here: his loan/bridge opening trounced my silver/potion.  I was worried about getting to 7 for king's court, without which there were no actions.  Margrave was probably not a great move either.
Not sure what that strategy is? The KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge combo? In its pure form it's probably not a good idea here with such weak trashing, but a kind-of mixed megaturn (like the one actually played) might do well.

If you're worried about getting to 7 and KC, why the Potion opening? That potion is counterproductive for getting to 7.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 04:54:43 am »

Chapel division

ARTjoMS vs. Jimmy Jimmy 4-2
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 08:10:50 pm »

Since game 3 seems to have stumped WW and Allfail, I'll suggest that it could be a very interesting and unusual kingdom. With the choice of coppersmith or bank, inn or golem, it might actually have a variety of strong counting house strategies. Not only that but the fortune teller becomes a very strong attack against deck management for the counting house. Now that's a kingdom that you don't see every day!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

Since game 3 seems to have stumped WW and Allfail, I'll suggest that it could be a very interesting and unusual kingdom. With the choice of coppersmith or bank, inn or golem, it might actually have a variety of strong counting house strategies. Not only that but the fortune teller becomes a very strong attack against deck management for the counting house. Now that's a kingdom that you don't see every day!
We actually discussed going for counting house. But I don't think it's gonna be very good here. I actually think I played fairly close to optimally, except the more I think about it, I don't think expand is the way to go near as much as I did.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 11:09:05 am »

Game 1 was an ugly Saboteur game. I probably overbought the Saboteurs lacking a better plan, and struggled to get to 6 for Gold and later 8. While I tried to catch up on the Provinces and Duchies, he was able to grab a bunch of Estates and a couple Fairgrounds for a comfortable win.

Game 2 I think I had the better build here anyway, but the score became lopsided when I discarded his Tactician twice with Oracle, and then his Tacticians collided after he bought a second. Scrying Pool/Bazaar/Woodcutter are the key cards, with Remodel to speed up the endgame.

Game 3 had some power cards, and I think we both got a little lost with them since it was a Colony game. I went Ironworks/Island with Hunting Party (eventually gaining a bunch of Caravans after I had all the Islands, and a couple Worker's Villages for +Buy), he went Jack with a few Hunting Parties and mostly money. The Islands gave me a nice lead, and got rid of the junk nicely to keep my deck running despite the money disparity. I don't feel like what I tried was a bad plan, but I'm sure there's something better here.

Game 4 was another Jack game, this time with doubleJack as the obvious optimal play... so naturally I decided to try some ridiculous Festival/Watchtower/Nobles build instead. I was planning to grab a few Goons for a big turn late, but doubleJack is just too fast, and of course the Goons I did buy just helped him.

Game 5 was Masquerade... I tried for the Possession, but hit 5P three times and he was able to Remodel his Masquerade away the turn before I finally got there. Probably wasn't worth trying even if my luck had been better.

Game 6 was Remake into Wharf, and I had all the luck here, hitting Provinces turns 8-11, 13, and 15 with a single Gold and Wharf. (Incidentally, this was my 2500th game of Dominion, so I will credit my luck to that.)

Game 7 revealed a massive blind-spot for Duke... His first shuffle was a bit better, getting a Jester and a Stash while I took a second Monument with my Jester... in any other game, that might have been ok, as I got a small lead on VP tokens and then had better luck buying Provinces. But while I took a 4-2 split there and was feeling confident, I had two turns stuck on 4 (once because of a Monument collision), which allowed him to get a crucial 6-2 split in the Duchies, and trounce me with Duke, which I hadn't even noticed until the Duchies ran out.

Thanks for the games, Turambar, and good luck. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:22:22 am by mith »

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »

I agree with your comments mith. The first game I don't really know why i won, or how I should play. Weird game.

The third game I played really badly, opening double jack(wishing I'd read how double jack does in colony games), but then (for some reason) started buying hunting parties. Naturally this didn't work out.

The last game dukes wasn't even my plan, but when I hit 7/6/5 when you bought provinces, early duchies was my only chance, while hoping my deck could survive it. Luckily it did.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 08:24:25 pm »

Okay guys, I am done. Luck was not on my side today, RisingJaguar managed to beat me 4:3 in some good games. I will comment when he hopefully writes his little report  8)

Well played RisingJaguar, you dealt me more losses than in the whole rounds before together  ;)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:16 am »

Witch Division: RisingJaguar (#12) vs. painted_cow (#1)

All games were played under identical hands, veto mode and point counter.  Sorry about the slight delay on posting the game logs.  Here are the summaries, I'm gonna try to add in my thoughts along with key points/decisions I made.  Feel free to comment on my game, I would love that. 

First Game: RJ 16 - PC 24 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-121554-f6820cfb.html
This game would've been much difference with the presences of Dukes/Gardens but both were vetoed.  I played the game like Ambassador to BM and was in the lead half way through.  PC noticed this and started to buy oasis and scrying pools despite a lack of a +buy.  My BM was not fast enough and his engine was so strong, i ended up with all 10 curses. This was a devastating loss because i felt i was ahead half way through and yet loss so decisively to his stellar play. 

Second Game: RJ 35 - PC 48 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-122756-1c4f6ae3.html
The promiment card in this game was the minion but with my early $6/$4, I decided to switch over to courtyard/BM.  I jumped out to a quick lead like BM normally does, however Minions blew up courtyards' ability and my BM idea fell threw in the end.  Down to a quick 2-0 defecit where I had first turn twice, I did not feel good. 

Third Game: RJ 40 - PC 14 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-123938-03550942.html
I remember looking at his popular buys previous to the matches and seeing his best win rate when available was crossroads.  The deciding choices happened early in the game.  First was PC's choice of Militia/crossroads which he quickly admitted was the wrong choice, the second was not going double militia and relying on black markets.  Granted black markets could have gotten some good cards but i feel militia was great against the many crossroads.  This was a pretty decisive win and made me feel good again. 

Fourth game: PC 41 - RJ 65 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-125459-49eaf970.html (Thanks WW for noticing)
This was primarily a goons game.  Going first definitely had its edges to help me win this game.  The two things I did differently (which is kinda one thing) were buying border villages and terminals.  I think this helped me in my favour because i was able to do a couple more things with my cards, but I'm not super sure.  The 7 apothecaries I built up allowed me to manage my deck much better and avoid terminals clashing

Fifth game: PC 46 - RJ 41 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-132014-32177cee.html
I'm not really sure how to explain this game.  Cities became relevant with the rush towards islands, and then it was a rush to build super decks through horn of plenty.  I'm sure painted_cow could provide a lot more insight, he did a lot better managing his deck and knowing the limitations of my deck throughout the match where as I often followed his buys which was sure to lose.  Watch turn 14 onwards to see all the action. 

Sixth game: RJ wins http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-133538-369b182b.html
This is where my luck really shined.  I was able to get turn 6 forge without any silver/gold purchases with the help of apothecary.  Then in turns 8-9 I was able to trash all 8 coppers in my deck to shrink it to nothing.  Black market also helped a lot spewing me cards like menagerie, wharf, goons (after he vetoed it), torturer while he got nothing special.  I felt really bad with all these perfect turns, but I'll take it!

Seventh game: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/27/game-20111227-134618-2cc82374.html
This was by far the closest and intense game.  Our plans were very similar as you can see by the final card count.  It was based off of fishing villages/monuments and drawing cards with watchtower. 
The first 14 turns were a race for provinces, with PC drawing blood on the first two but I eventually caught up to 3-3 and even on points (or PC is up by 1?)
Then it became a game of gaining as many points as possible with the duchy run, I never reached $8 but PC reached it twice in turns 18/19... He spent a lot of time thinking on both but I would have won on points if i were to get the province next turn, and that is a horrible way to lose. 
After the duchies were gone, great halls looked to be the third pile to be eliminated.  I took an estate on turn 20 for that reason since there were only two great halls left, and would have allowed him to get $3 for the win.  Turn 21, PC had $6 with a watchtower in hand while being ahead by 1 point.  Instead of going the normal low VPs, he goes for the gold.  I luckily draw the perfect card, workshop and, is able to spin the 1 point deficit into the one point victory!

This was an intense set for me with some real lengthy decisions made.  At one point, PC said he could actually make me resign (The Cities match) because I took so long.  PC was probably the better player today but I squeaked out the win.  I reached Top 8!

Edit: I will leave councilroom logs for games games 4,5,7 if you'd like to follow along with the score as well (and better understand our play at the time. 
Game 4: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111227-125459-49eaf970.html
Game 5: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111227-132014-32177cee.html
Game 7: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111227-134618-2cc82374.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:13:55 pm by RisingJaguar »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:12 am »

One quick comment before I look again more closely (and unfortunately, it's a boring one): your link to the 4th game takes you to the 3rd game again.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »

Thief Division, Fabian (2) beats TheO_Ravenheart (26) 4-1

Game 1 Fabian 27 - 18 Ravenheart
A Fool's Gold game. We both open Remodel/Fool's Gold, but I manage to get 6 of them as Raven picks up a Bridge on turn 3 that ends up never being used. A Smithy and some green cards later, I win comfortably with 5 Provinces and 2 Duchies on turn 15. Oh, and a Gold too.

Game 2 Fabian 43 - 37 Ravenheart
A Governor game. We both open Silver/Oracle, but Raven has terrible shuffle luck on the first few turns and falls behind pretty badly. My shuffle luck in the mid/endgame seems pretty bad too, but it's not enough to make it super close in the end. 5 Provinces 3 Duchies and a bonus Estate this time, by turn 15. Fast cards!

Game 3 Fabian 18 - 1 Ravenheart
We both open Sea Hag/Chapel on a pretty scary looking board. My plan of skipping Silver, instead picking up a few Hamlets and buying Fool's Golds while trashing my deck works very well, and I never feel very threatened. A few semi-interesting late game decisions come up with 1 Fool's Gold left, only a few Cities, and an empty Curse pile, but I buy a few green cards to stay comfortably ahead on points, and when Raven empties the Fool's Gold pile to power up his Cities, I can buy the last two Cities on my turn to end the game.

Game 4 Fabian 24 - 31 Ravenheart
A Minion game. His Lookout goes a long way to winning this game for him, as he manages to comfortably buy Provinces every turn in the midgame with an economy of 5 Minion, a few Lighthouses and a few Copper, while my deck is struggling despite having stronger cards. I feel like I had pretty bad luck in this game, but I guess that's only fair by this time in the match. I almost manage a comeback after Raven (possibly) gets greedy and trashes a Province rather than a Minion in the midgame, but after buying the penultimate Province 1 point behind and having a Lighthouse'd $8 for the next turn, Raven gets to $8 too.

Game 5 Fabian 59 - 54 Ravenheart
Kind of a weird game. I open Silver/Remake while Raven opens Silver/Envoy. My idea is to trash away my crap while getting a Tactician and start buying Platinums and stuff, pretty standard. It doesn't quite work out though, as I don't get to $5 until turn 7, and after that not until turn 12. I guess that's what buying 2 Remakes and trashing your Coppers does, huh. Instead, my deck becomes this weird semi-thin thing consisting mostly of.. Silver. And an Envoy, and a few Remakes, and a Tactician. Meanwhile Raven has a Scheme/Tactician thing going on where he buys a couple Platinums every other turn, or something. I figured I was losing horribly, but my deck proves good enough to squeak by since his deck takes half the amount of turns. I still had to hope his Scheme/Scheme/Scheme/Envoy/Tactician/x (6 cards because of Council Room) hand couldn't buy a Colony on his second-to-last turn of the game (he got to $10), and that his Scheme/Scheme/Scheme/Envoy/x hand couldn't buy Colony on his last turn (he got to $9). I had an interesting choice on MY second-to-last turn, too; I had Silver/Silver/Tactician/Council Room/Envoy and sat for a full 90 seconds trying to figure out if I would draw $7 on my 4 cards or not. In the end I played Tactician (again hoping his Scheme/etc hand couldn't get to $11) - as it turns out, the first 4 cards I draw are 3 Silver and Royal Seal, which would have put me at $12. Luckily, the Tactician play works out too!

Some pretty intense games, and I'm reasonably happy with how I played. Thanks to Ravenheart for the games!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 12:35:21 pm »

@Fabian: game 4 you destroyed your own Minion/Lighthouse engine by going for Hoard. I'm not saying it's bad because 5 Minions might stall when greening, but you could have bought more Lighthouses over Hoard to keep the engine...

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »

Okay, now some of my ideas to the games:

G1: I really hate going Amb/Amb, but with being second player I took the risk. I even more hate Amb/bigmoney, and you see why this is so. If the other can draw his deck like whole mid to late game you will win most of the times.

G2: I expected a Minion Mirror, therefor I got a Jester first. When RJ went BigMoney I thought at first, that it could turn out troublesome because Jester sucks in this matchup, but giving him a Curse first really helped there.

G3: Nothing to add then I SUCK. I just did not finish my thoughts about openings dreaming of Peddlers already, but man, this was embarassing. Not getting to 5 anytime soon didnt made this better.

G4: I didnt like the idea of many terminal carddraw along the goons (where you will need a huge amount of villages to get the engine started). Besides being first this time I got the Goons later, played them later (besides one drawing dead by RJ because of his carddraw). I did thought that I might even lose with more points between us.

G5: Really complicated Endgame decissions about who can end etc. We both went a while in thinktank, but all in all one could not really know how much the other is getting with Farmland and Horn of Plenty shenangians and lots of carddraw. Being player 1 gave me this win I think.

G6: Dominion just sucks sometimes. I played Black Market much earlier and got the holy crap 3 times, while he just opens the nuts. T6 Forge was basically gg.

G7: Doing nothing in the beginning like in G6 was really annoying, being stucked at 2. First player advantage was just gone. Drawing 5 terminals without any Fishing Villages in T16 made me literally cry, as it was the deciding phase of the game. That RJ got his Workshop in the last turn as well sealed the deal here.

I was really speechless after this series. One game I threw away (g3), but getting 2 losses out of the last 2 games decided in such a way annoyed me a bit  :-\
Nonetheless RJ played some really good Dominion starting from G3 onwards.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 07:28:06 am »

Guy Srinivasan and toaster have arranged to play on Sunday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.