Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Themed "challenge" boards  (Read 17324 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Themed "challenge" boards
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

Scavenger, Salvager, King's Court, Soothsayer, Farming Village, Menagerie, Coppersmith, Trading Post, Armory, Market Square.
What do those cards have in common?

Not a lot, but that kingdom and the previous two kingdoms have in common the fact that they have two cards that are easily mistaken for each other (Mine/Mint, Fairgrounds/Farmland, Salvager/Scavenger). I just quickly chose the other cards to make it an interesting kingdom.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »
+1

Scavenger, Salvager, King's Court, Soothsayer, Farming Village, Menagerie, Coppersmith, Trading Post, Armory, Market Square.
What do those cards have in common?

Not a lot, but that kingdom and the previous two kingdoms have in common the fact that they have two cards that are easily mistaken for each other (Mine/Mint, Fairgrounds/Farmland, Salvager/Scavenger). I just quickly chose the other cards to make it an interesting kingdom.
Ooh, that would be interesting - Mine, Mint, Fairgrounds, Farmland, Scavenger, Salvager, four more cards... the table would just be called "Good luck with that."

Edit: Maybe Trader and Trading Post? I don't know if anyone else confuses those two but I sure do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:30:10 pm by Elanchana »
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »

Edit: Maybe Trader and Trading Post? I don't know if anyone else confuses those two but I sure do.

Also Horse Traders.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »
+1

Chapel/Cellar?  Although (whisper it quietly) it's not such a problem on Goko.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »

I played a board of eight Treasure cards plus Mine and Mint a couple times; that was fun. I don't remember exactly which eight we used though.

Found it! It was Bank, Contraband, Hoard, Horn of Plenty, Loan, Mine, Mint, Philosopher's Stone, Royal Seal, Venture.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »
+1

Mine'sMint'sMine'sMint's The pair I usually confuse is Trading Post and Trade Route.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »
+2

Don't forget Possession/Procession!

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 03:48:17 am »

I tend to mix up Scrying Pool and Apothecary, because they both cost $2P and have the ability to draw a bunch of cards from the top of deck.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 05:42:51 am »
+1

Also counterfeit/contraband.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 09:32:15 am »

i sometimes mix up Quarry and Talisman on Goko . both cost 4$ and are a treassure and the text isnt on the preview in goko.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »

How about all cards that can help your opponent?
Vault, Bishop, Embassy, Soothsayer, Masquerade, Ambassador, Council Room, Governor, Pirate Ship... Minion, I guess? I've had so many lucky redraws with that card...

Based on http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Non-Attack_interaction, I'd go with:

Vault, Bishop, Embassy, Soothsayer, Council Room, Governor, Duchess, Envoy, Advisor, Contraband

I started putting together a "help your opponent" board for kingdom design contest, but never finished it.  Soothsayer is an attack, and Envoy, Advisor and Contraband aren't really helping your opponent, they're just presenting your opponent with choices about what you do.  I'd go with Tunnel and Market Square to enable Vault and Bishop more, and since there's draw and money, why not throw in some kind of action plays for good measure.  Then you're building an engine to play even more things that help your opponent.  Maybe...

Vault, Bishop, Council Room, Governor, Duchess, Embassy, Market Square, Tunnel, Throne Room?, Village?

I wonder about Procession instead of Throne Room maybe... there's MS and vanilla Village at $3, Procession and Bishop at $4, and assorted $5s to gain.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2014, 01:24:06 am »

I just promised someone a fully-fledged "Attackmania" board so I better come up with one. What kind of stuff would be good for a board of all attacks? So many of them are terminal, and piling up enough terminals in the kingdom can lead to boring big money games...
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2014, 06:47:35 am »
+1

I just promised someone a fully-fledged "Attackmania" board so I better come up with one. What kind of stuff would be good for a board of all attacks? So many of them are terminal, and piling up enough terminals in the kingdom can lead to boring big money games...

Minion, Cultist, Urchin, Swindler, Goons, Spy, Torturer, Ghost Ship, Scrying Pool, Squire.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:46 pm »

Minion, Cultist, Urchin, Swindler, Goons, Spy, Torturer, Ghost Ship, Scrying Pool, Squire.

Ooh Squire, I likes. So what would you do on this one? Trash with Mercenary, draw with Scrying Pool, get VPs with Goons? (with Squires to boost productivity?)

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »

Ooh Squire, I likes. So what would you do on this one? Trash with Mercenary, draw with Scrying Pool, get VPs with Goons? (with Squires to boost productivity?)

Open Urchin/Swindler, try to win the Squire split, then probably Scrying Pools and Goons. That's what I would do, but it's hard to say without testing how good it would be against Minion and Cultist strategies.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »
+1

Open Urchin/Swindler, try to win the Squire split, then probably Scrying Pools and Goons. That's what I would do, but it's hard to say without testing how good it would be against Minion and Cultist strategies.

Mercenary and Scrying Pool are a good counter to Cultist, right?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

Oh yeah, Swindler would be brutal. I'm not an expert but I think with decent shuffle luck this strategy would be great against Cultist because the ruins would both feed Mercenaries and power up Scrying Pools. You'd still need to win the Squire split though. (Edit: ninja'd)

Testing is what I'd play unrated for. Also to avoid the frustration of not winning splits/races.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »

Mercenary and Scrying Pool are a good counter to Cultist, right?

Yeah, otherwise it wouldn't be hard to say that you go for Cultist.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
+2

ruins would both [...] power up Scrying Pools

This isn't usually the right way to think about the interaction between Ruins and Scrying Pool.  They don't get in the way as much as Curses, but they don't generally result in you having extra useful cards that you wouldn't have otherwise.  (They can do if you have something like Cellar, but otherwise if you hadn't had the Ruin then you'd have drawn the following card anyway.)  They actually get in the way slightly, as Ruin/Estate/Actions is a worse top of deck that Estate/Actions if you play Scrying Pool.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

Open Urchin/Swindler and pray.
FTFY.  I think that board would come down to mostly Swindler luck.  Squire split is important but Swindler affects that, especially if you're playing SPs.  For an even uglier game, replace something with Knights.  For a not quite as insanely swingy game, replace Swindler with maybe Jester? 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2014, 06:52:02 pm »

Apothecary, Coppersmith, Counting House, Beggar, Moneylender, Ill-Gotten Gains, Cache, Cutpurse, Count... and... something?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

Apothecary, Coppersmith, Counting House, Beggar, Moneylender, Ill-Gotten Gains, Cache, Cutpurse, Count... and... something?
Mountebank?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:41 pm »
+1

Grand Market.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 07:05:29 pm »
+1

This isn't usually the right way to think about the interaction between Ruins and Scrying Pool.  They don't get in the way as much as Curses, but they don't generally result in you having extra useful cards that you wouldn't have otherwise.  (They can do if you have something like Cellar, but otherwise if you hadn't had the Ruin then you'd have drawn the following card anyway.)  They actually get in the way slightly, as Ruin/Estate/Actions is a worse top of deck that Estate/Actions if you play Scrying Pool.

While this is true generally, I would think Mercenary counts as "something like Cellar" (though obviously not to the same extent), since you want to draw up extra stuff to trash with it.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »

Well, cultist and marauder are usually very weak and ignorable on scrying pool boards, and death cart is much stronger. Sure the ruins are still junking, but very weak junking, enough to make the cards just not worth getting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.