Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A phenomenally weak board?  (Read 5542 times)

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
A phenomenally weak board?
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »
+2

(First time posting in the "Help" subforum. Please be gentle!)

Code: [Select]
Embargo, Native Village, Pearl Diver, Chancellor, Woodcutter, Talisman, Contraband, Explorer, Laboratory, Bank
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141211/log.506966f351c38622de84f35b.1418328808555.txt

No trashing and Laboratory as the only source of +Cards. I briefly considered Talisman to amass Native Villages, but was reluctant to commit to this strategy fearing they might be shut down by Embrago (as indeed happened). I opened with Chancellor, because why the hell not, and spent the rest of the game flailing about without a clear plan.

I really can't figure out what to do here, or why I came out so far behind the other players. What do you think?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: A phenomenally weak board?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
+1

I kind of like an engine with 1-2 NVs (just stop getting them on the Embargo if it happens), an Explorer to fuel Bank, Labs, bank, and Woodcutter.  Not sure how well it works, but it's a nice theory.  Guess I'd open Woodcutter/Silver.  The Explorer is probably bad, I just have a soft spot for the poor girl.

Big money might win, but the engine seems better.  You don't need trashing to make an engine work; it just makes them riskier.

I wouldn't get too upset about losing by that little in a 3 player game.  They are so much swingier than 2 player that a lot of things are up in the air.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:44:12 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »
+3

I disagree with jsh. BM + Chancellor + Explorer

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
+3

Explorer and labs should do ok here. Filling your deck with treasures from an explorer allows your deck to soak up curses from embargo, but embargo really shouldn't come into it. Chancellor and labs shouldn't do so badly but sometimes big money decks draw badly and yours did. You didn't need to discard your deck with the chancellor on turn 5. As a general rule, start buying duchies when half the provinces are gone in 2 and 3 player games.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »
+4

I agree with JSH but only partially. BM + Labs + 1 Woodcutter + Banks. Open Woodcutter/Silver, then hit Labs, then pick up Banks. I think Lab > Gold initially and there's some tipping point where you take the Gold, but I'm not sure what that is, so I'd just do Lab > Gold until it felt like I needed more money.

If they Embargo Lab then just transition into Explorer, but I think Embargo doesn't help either player enough to get bought here.

Explorer will probably get your deck to $8 faster, but it becomes harder to justify getting the Woodcutter in the middle of the game, and I don't like having 2 terminals when you're in the Lab-buying phase. I would not be surprised if it performed better.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:53 pm »
+1

Woodcutter sounds like the worst of the $3 costs to me, especially in a 3-player game. You aren't getting enough labs to use the +buy well. I'd open double chancellor chancellor/silver.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »
+2

Native Village can be trashing. But BM with Chancellor and Explorer and Bank and Labs is probably better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »
+3

NV + Pearl Diver = COMBO!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:06:33 pm »
+1

NV + Pearl Diver = COMBO!
Switch contraband out for scrying pool and you've got a deal!

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »
+1

Chancellor/BM or Explorer/BM

Or both.

SpinBlack

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:06:38 pm »
+2

OP says be gentle, so stop BMing him.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 05:39:03 pm »

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

I'm always reluctant to use NV as a trasher, because it may accidentally hit an important card and then I will have to waste precious time getting it back from the mat. I don't know how serious dondon151 is about the combo with Pearl Diver -- it sounds way too convoluted just to get rid of a couple of Estates?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 05:44:37 pm »

I was being facetious. But it could work depending on what other support or lack of support there is in the kingdom.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 06:04:55 pm »
+2

I'm always reluctant to use NV as a trasher, because it may accidentally hit an important card and then I will have to waste precious time getting it back from the mat. I don't know how serious dondon151 is about the combo with Pearl Diver -- it sounds way too convoluted just to get rid of a couple of Estates?

You can stop playing it when there's a realistic chance it's going to hit an important card. It's a very weak trasher, but sometimes you'd rather trash with NV than not at all. And if that happens and Pearl Diver is also in the kingdom, it's probably a good idea to use them both. I've used Native Village+Duchess successfully in the past, but those kingdoms are definitely rare. It's just that you shouldn't overlook the fact that NV removes cards from your deck because there might be a game where it's actually relevant.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
+1

It's just that you shouldn't overlook the fact that NV removes cards from your deck because there might be a game where it's actually relevant.

Okay, it's not a game, but it was still fun.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 03:43:25 pm »

I kind of like an engine with 1-2 NVs (just stop getting them on the Embargo if it happens), an Explorer to fuel Bank, Labs, bank, and Woodcutter.  Not sure how well it works, but it's a nice theory.  Guess I'd open Woodcutter/Silver.  The Explorer is probably bad, I just have a soft spot for the poor girl.

Big money might win, but the engine seems better.  You don't need trashing to make an engine work; it just makes them riskier.

I wouldn't get too upset about losing by that little in a 3 player game.  They are so much swingier than 2 player that a lot of things are up in the air.

Maybe my definition of an engine is skewed?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:28:12 am »

Woodcutter sounds like the worst of the $3 costs to me, especially in a 3-player game. You aren't getting enough labs to use the +buy well. I'd open double chancellor chancellor/silver.

Yes, open with me!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:28:08 am »

But wait, what happens if your opponent, out of perhaps curiosity, embargos Lab right away, as in before you even get 1-2 of them? If that does happen, I'd probably go Silverspawn's route of BM+Chancellor+Explorer. Explorer can be nice because it gets around embargoed treasures.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.