Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Critique a Deck:  (Read 26295 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Critique a Deck:
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »

Ew, rogue is optimal with double sprint now? If they have to play that card, the class is in a bad place, I think.

Rogue IS in a bad place. But they run Prep+Sprint for draw. They don't just play sprint. Also I never see them with 2 Sprints, just 1.

Single Sprint is much less of a sign of bad health than double sprint since with a single sprint you have a pretty solid chance of lining it up with either Preparation.  If you have a card that's good in general, and a card that's only good with that other card, you try to have more of the general one and a lesser amount of the dependent one. (I learned it in pokemon TCG so i always think of it as the charizard rule).

With as many sprints as preps, there's a great chance of your sprints in hand outnumbering your preps in hand.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

Sprint is not so bad without Prep. If you draw a Prep with it, it's only 1 mana more than playing the Prep first. It's worse to not draw a Sprint in the first place.

But yeah I agree that if the class relies on double Sprint, it's not great.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2015, 03:40:47 pm »

Without Auctioneer it feels really tough to have enough card draw without 2x Sprint. I had 1x Sprint before but I wasn't drawing it often enough to use the card draw.

If you draw both Sprints, then yeah, one of them is essentially dead. If you have time to play both you're either winning already or desperately searching for answers. It's pretty rough.

For more AoE, I'm thinking -1 Assassin's Blade, +1 Fan looks good. I can try to fit in a Healbot somewhere.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 05:28:13 pm »

If you have a card that's good in general, and a card that's only good with that other card, you try to have more of the general one and a lesser amount of the dependent one. (I learned it in pokemon TCG so i always think of it as the charizard rule).
Care to explain the name?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:03 pm »

^I believe that in Pokemon TCG, you need to have a Charmeleon in play to play Charizard (and Charmander to play Charmeleon), so you have to run more Charmeleons than Charizards (and more Charmanders than Charmeleons).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »

In practice, you don't run Charizard, you run Blastoise + Squirtle, and use Pokemon Breeder to skip having Wartortle in your deck, because Rain Dance + Water Pokemon is pretty ridiculous.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2015, 12:28:42 am »

In practice, you don't run Charizard, you run Blastoise + Squirtle, and use Pokemon Breeder to skip having Wartortle in your deck, because Rain Dance + Water Pokemon is pretty ridiculous.
Pick up the gameboy color game at a old school video game store and you can explore some strategies that are far, far more degenerate than using Pokemon Breeder on a Squirtle. 
HME reported it correctly.  Having too many of a basic is better than having too many of the evolution because you can chump block with the basic.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2015, 12:30:45 am »

Sprint is not so bad without Prep. If you draw a Prep with it, it's only 1 mana more than playing the Prep first. It's worse to not draw a Sprint in the first place.

But yeah I agree that if the class relies on double Sprint, it's not great.
You mean one mana more in that you probably won't find a 3-4 drop to use the prep on?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

So I got Bolvar a while back, and I was curious as to how good he can be. I finally came around to building a deck designed to power him up. Here's what I came up with:

2x Zombie Chow
2x Redemption
1x Equality
2x Haunted Creeper
2x Shielded Minibot
2x Annoy-o-Tron
2x Mad Scientist
1x Sword of Justice
1x Blood Knight
2x Muster For Battle
2x Harvest Golem
1x Consecration
1x Truesilver Champion
2x Piloted Shredder
1x Quartermaster
1x Bolvar Fordragon
1x Sludge Belcher
1x Piloted Sky Golem
1x Dr. Boom
1x Lay on Hands
1x Kel'Thuzad

As far as powering up Bolvar goes, this deck is mission accomplished. Once I draw Bolvar, it only takes 2 or 3 turns to get him to a strong attack stat.

Now I'd like to tweak this deck to make it better at actually winning games, toning down the Bolvar boosting as needed. I'm thinking I could Zombie Chow and maybe Harvest Golem with other stuff. Sword of Justice and Blood Knight are just for kicks right now. Looking at this deck now, I think I should squeeze in another Truesilver somehow too. I don't have Tirion, so I'm trying to make do with Kel'Thuzad.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:00 pm »

No idea if it would actually be good (probably not), but this looks like it would be fun to run Baron rivendare in. also sylvanas if you have her.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »

No idea if it would actually be good (probably not), but this looks like it would be fun to run Baron rivendare in. also sylvanas if you have her.
Right, Sylvanas. I don't have Sylvanas.

I'm curious though, was Sylvanas always considered good when it was in it's current state (6 mana 5/5)? I could have sworn it was considered meh at some point.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:20 pm »

The Sylvanas nerf made her worse for Zoo, which was very popular at the time, since you don't want to curve all the way up to 6 mana, but she remained good in higher curve decks. She also got better now that everyone runs Belchers and Shredders, because she fully kills them, plus something else and gets you a token.

Regarding the deck, I think you should have a second Consecration in any Paladin deck. And your curve is low enough that Divine Favor might be better than Lay on Hands. Also I assume you don't have Tirion, because he's a slam dunk in a redemption deck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.