Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Critique a Deck:  (Read 26368 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Critique a Deck:
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:20 am »

Putting in AoW is against this deck philosophy as I mostly concede board control around turn 8 to get ready for final burst

By final burst do you mean FoN + Savage Roar combo? Since AoW buys you the board control you need for a good Savage Roar if they can't deal with it. Maybe for only 1 turn, but if you have stuff out it could be enough. Treat as fatter Loatheb.

If you want the combo finish then AoL is better since it draws you the pieces while giving something that has to be answered.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 06:04:31 am »

FoN + SR + whatever tokens are remaining from my deathrattles. Problem with AoW that silence really cripples it. And then it is AoL without 2 cards

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 03:33:55 pm »

That just sounds like a different type of control deck.

Token is literally a 1/1 minion.  You generally generate them from Violet Teacher (and now Dark Wispers) and buff them with Power of the Wild.  You run double Savage Roar because you can use it with tokens as well as a single FON.

That's how I've always seen it, anyway.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:24 am »

Token is literally a 1/1 minion.  You generally generate them from Violet Teacher (and now Dark Wispers) and buff them with Power of the Wild.  You run double Savage Roar because you can use it with tokens as well as a single FON.

"Token" is literally a token in other TCGs, generally referring to things that aren't actually cards in your deck, like the damaged golem. The pilot of Shredders are a bit ambiguous since those things exist as cards, but you didn't put them in your deck.

So yeah, it's a questionable terminology thing. I would hesistate to call that deck a "token Druid", because it looks like it plays much differently from the decks people normall think of when they hear "token Druid". It looks pretty much just like a normal Midrange Force/Roar Druid.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »

"Token" is literally a token in other TCGs, generally referring to things that aren't actually cards in your deck, like the damaged golem. The pilot of Shredders are a bit ambiguous since those things exist as cards, but you didn't put them in your deck.

So yeah, it's a questionable terminology thing. I would hesistate to call that deck a "token Druid", because it looks like it plays much differently from the decks people normall think of when they hear "token Druid". It looks pretty much just like a normal Midrange Force/Roar Druid.

I guess you are right.  A token is "literally" a token in Dominion, for example.

I've accepted as fact (maybe wrongly) that in the universe of Hearthstone, a "token" is specifically a 1/1 minion, often generated by something other than a card of itself (I think Wisp or a returned-to-hand token are the only "token" minion cards you can use).

Maybe that's wrong?  I haven't seen token used to reference anything else in Hearthstone.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »

Probably I played my token druid wrong 3-4 months ago, but this plays similar to how I played it

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »

I guess Thaddius is a token according to some, right?  So maybe the "Token Druid" deck I've been thinking of as the "Violet Teacher/PotW Deck" is misnamed.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:44 am »

I guess Thaddius is a token according to some, right?  So maybe the "Token Druid" deck I've been thinking of as the "Violet Teacher/PotW Deck" is misnamed.

IMO I think what you considered to be a token deck is more in line with what the general hearthstone community refers to as Token Druid. Violet Teacher is definitely the first card I think of when I think of Token Druid. Using something to at least have the possibility of flooding the board with small minions/tokens seems essential to the concept. A quick google brings this up as the first hit for token druid which seems to agree and states that Violet Teacher/PotW is a key combo for it (though I think the modern version of token druid would look different from this one.) Probably with Creepers at the least, and maybe Dark Wispers.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 03:04:35 am »
+1

Let's just say I was wrong with the name and return to merits of the case, I mean, deck

I replaced 1x Argus and 1x Shade with 2x Haunteed Creeper. I am currently got to rank 2 exclusively with this deck

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:15 pm »

Let's just say I was wrong with the name and return to merits of the case, I mean, deck

I replaced 1x Argus and 1x Shade with 2x Haunteed Creeper. I am currently got to rank 2 exclusively with this deck

Do you have Cairne? I feel like he might be better than a Sky Golem. (4/5 + 4/5 vs a 6/4 + a random 4)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:22 pm »

I think Sky Golem is better than Cairne. For a deathrattle minion more attack is better than more health. The normal reaction to Cairne is just to ignore it and eat 4 damage until you can remove the whole thing more efficiently. You can't really do that with Sky Golem because 6 damage is a lot. So you either get more damage or you get the deathrattle sooner.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »

I agree that it's not token druid due to no Violet Teacher, but I also think this deck is stronger without Violet teacher. I think the arguses are fine, maybe you could take one out. I agree that Haunted Creeper would be a good addition to this deck as a 2-drop.

I also like Piloted sky golem over Cairne. It's much more threatening on board, and creates a lot more lethal threat than Cairne does. Cairne vs. Sky Golem is close, and I don't think either is bad, but I like Sky Golem a bit better here.

I think I'd definitely want 2 shades instead of one, if you're cutting cards. Maybe I'd cut 1x Argus + something else for 2 Haunted creepers. Not sure what the something else would be, though.

I also would consider cutting Dr. Boom. It's your only BGH target in a meta where every deck is running BGH. I think another legendary would be better in its place (Loatheb? Cenarius? Maybe even take it out for Haunted Creeper depending on what your bad matchups are. I guess Cenarius doesn't fit with this deck's philosophy, I feel that Loatheb would be a good fit stalling for a turn before combo though.) I think decks either want multiple BGH targets so they can't hit everything, or zero BGH targets so that your opponent can't get great value. Right now, I would imagine it's getting hit by BGH a ton.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 01:18:16 pm »

I also would consider cutting Dr. Boom. It's your only BGH target in a meta where every deck is running BGH. I think another legendary would be better in its place (Loatheb? Cenarius? Maybe even take it out for Haunted Creeper depending on what your bad matchups are. I guess Cenarius doesn't fit with this deck's philosophy, I feel that Loatheb would be a good fit stalling for a turn before combo though.) I think decks either want multiple BGH targets so they can't hit everything, or zero BGH targets so that your opponent can't get great value. Right now, I would imagine it's getting hit by BGH a ton.

But Dr. Boom is so good for Force+Roar decks, since it's 3 minions in one. It doesn't actually die that bad to BGH since most of the value is in the Boom Bots.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »

Oh, I suppose that's true

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »

I think Sky Golem is better than Cairne. For a deathrattle minion more attack is better than more health. The normal reaction to Cairne is just to ignore it and eat 4 damage until you can remove the whole thing more efficiently. You can't really do that with Sky Golem because 6 damage is a lot. So you either get more damage or you get the deathrattle sooner.

I hadn't thought about that. You're probably right.

I think Boom is a really good choice in this deck btw.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »

Could go with Sneed's Old Shredder, if you like piloted golems anyway.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:47 pm »

Sky Golem has an advantage over Cairne when it comes to dealing with the popular 5 health minions like Belcher, Loatheb, Shieldmaiden and Highmane.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:19 am »

Seems to be to expensive for just one body out there. What's good about piloted stuff is that they have attack on par with best units at that price, they pay in health for their deathrattle. Sneed's pay in attack

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »

Seems to be to expensive for just one body out there. What's good about piloted stuff is that they have attack on par with best units at that price, they pay in health for their deathrattle. Sneed's pay in attack

I feel like most times I play Sneed, his body eats two+ minions/cards/silence, then drops a second body for funsies.  He is expensive, but with ramp cards you can drop him on T5/6 for great value.

Getting a Tirion or Rag is great luck from the Deathrattle, but even a mediocre second legendary is usually a threat. 

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »

Mashup of the leftovers from my Miracle Rogue from before Auctioneer nerf and ideas cribbed from Dog Rogue. I've only been playing people at rank 18 since I haven't played constructed this season, but parts of this deck are fitting together a lot nicer than I thought they would. Ideas to make it better?

2x Backstab
2x Prep
2x Deadly Poison
1x Sinister Strike
1x Zombie Chow
1x Blade Flurry
2x Eviscerate
2x Sap
2x Shiv
2x Kobold Geomancer
1x Fan of Knives
1x Earthen Ring Farseer
2x SI:7 Agent
2x Violet Teacher
1x Assassin's Blade
2x Azure Drake
1x Loatheb
2x Sprint
1x Malygos

I added the Malygos/Sinister Strike because I thought it was funny. I don't want the 2nd SS because I'm not trying to make a Malygos deck here, as much as I want to. Still, I could always try to make it happen.

I don't have Thalnos or else I'd run 1 over a Kobold. Kobold + Evis to remove 5 health minions is really useful, so I'm not looking to drop any of my early spell power.

The odd stuff out is the 1x Zombie Chow, 1x Assassin's Blade, 1x Loatheb. They used to be in my Miracle deck and I haven't bothered with them since. So far they haven't disappointed me, but I'm sure there's alternatives I'm overlooking.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 10:27:21 pm »

Dr Boom if you have him. he goes in every deck that isn't pure aggro, and I even see him sometimes in those decks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2015, 11:36:55 am »

What's dog rogue? Where do people go to look at decklists with proven good results by the way? I used to know how to do that for MtG but not for this game

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »

I don't know for sure what Dog Rogue is, but the most common Rogue I see around has Violet Teachers, a bunch of spells, 2 Sprints, and big legendaries (Boom, Rag, Alex). Oil+Flurry is another potential finisher.

In this deck in particular, I don't think the Kobolds are worth it. You probably want more heal to survive up to Malygos time. And you could probably stand to have another AoE spell.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »

Ew, rogue is optimal with double sprint now? If they have to play that card, the class is in a bad place, I think.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »

Ew, rogue is optimal with double sprint now? If they have to play that card, the class is in a bad place, I think.

Rogue IS in a bad place. But they run Prep+Sprint for draw. They don't just play sprint. Also I never see them with 2 Sprints, just 1.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.