Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I want to write a strategy article...  (Read 16909 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: I want to write a strategy article...
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »
+1

so, Island won. I'm going to need a while though.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
+1

Ah, good ol' Island. I've won exactly 0 games with this card. It's good for this: 2 VP in event of a tie while slightly making your deck overall better while throwing away a 4 Buy that could have been spent buying Silver or some equivalent good card. You sacrifice beginning opening for a bit of later leverage.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »
+7

Ah, good ol' Island. I've won exactly 0 games with this card. It's good for this: 2 VP in event of a tie while slightly making your deck overall better while throwing away a 4 Buy that could have been spent buying Silver or some equivalent good card. You sacrifice beginning opening for a bit of later leverage.
The power of island is trashing VP cards without trashing them. Also being strictly better than bomb.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

oh, I'm not going to defend Island with this article. It is very weak. But there are still a bunch of things to talk about.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 12:12:53 am »
+2

oh, I'm not going to defend Island with this article. It is very weak. But there are still a bunch of things to talk about.

Like you could talk about how the art for Island, Pirate Ship, and Native Village is all part of the same picture. :p

I can't think of much else, really. In high engine settings, I can't think of a time to buy this card early (but perhaps later?), and with Money decks, it is better early game than later game, though it certainly seems better in BM by my estimation.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 12:39:07 am »
+2

The power of island is trashing VP cards without trashing them. Also being strictly better than bomb.

Island is a Victory card and thus forces itself to be drawn into hand when revealed by Scout. EDGE-CASED!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:22 am »
+1

Island is a Victory card and thus forces itself to be drawn into hand when revealed by Scout. EDGE-CASED!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

It's nice with Ironworks too, I guess.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 06:05:26 am »
+3

Hey, Prince came second. I'll write up something this weekend, I think.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »

I just played a game with Island. I also had a Tactician and Ironworks with Laboratories, so I quickly bought up all the Islands and auctioned them off with my Estates and Coppers, while my opponent simply trashed his Coppers with Moneylender. Overall, he had the better deck, but since I bought up all those Islands and stashed them away early, using Tactician's extra action lending, I was able to pressure my opponent to buy Provinces quickly, which he was not able to do because I could tie and still win. So Island isn't TERRIBLE, but man you'd better have the right deck for it. As is with all cards.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »
+1

I just played a game with Island. I also had a Tactician and Ironworks with Laboratories, so I quickly bought up all the Islands and auctioned them off with my Estates and Coppers, while my opponent simply trashed his Coppers with Moneylender. Overall, he had the better deck, but since I bought up all those Islands and stashed them away early, using Tactician's extra action lending, I was able to pressure my opponent to buy Provinces quickly, which he was not able to do because I could tie and still win. So Island isn't TERRIBLE, but man you'd better have the right deck for it. As is with all cards.

I was worried for a second when you said "bought" the islands.  When I checked the log, I saw that you never actually bought an island, you gained them all from ironworks.  Which is the correct thing to do here.  However, imagine the situation on the board without ironworks here.  You are never going to actually spend a buy getting an island on this board.  (well, maybe late game if you have an awkward 4 or something)  So the point is that ironworks enabled island to be a good card on the board.  Which is true for any card.  There will always be games where even the worst cards are able to shine.  And island isn't even one of the worst cards (37/57 for 4-cost cards)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »

I was worried for a second when you said "bought" the islands.  When I checked the log, I saw that you never actually bought an island, you gained them all from ironworks.  Which is the correct thing to do here.  However, imagine the situation on the board without ironworks here.  You are never going to actually spend a buy getting an island on this board.  (well, maybe late game if you have an awkward 4 or something)  So the point is that ironworks enabled island to be a good card on the board.  Which is true for any card.  There will always be games where even the worst cards are able to shine.  And island isn't even one of the worst cards (37/57 for 4-cost cards)

How on earth did you check the logs?

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/

This is the work of the same hero who led the development of the browser extension.  On the offchance you haven't heard about that either, check the top right link on that page—you're in for a treat.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 05:00:21 pm »

What joseph2302 said.  It is relatively easy to find the log from there.  You told us 5 of the cards in the game (ironworks, lab, island, tactician, moneylender) and I knew you played the game.  From there I did this search, and your game popped up.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.