Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Vassal
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »
+3

Random card idea I had. The name has probably been done before, but hopefully the effect hasn't.

Vassal
Action $3

+2$
You may trash an action card you have in play (including this). Gain a card costing up to 1$ more than the trashed card, placing it on top of your deck.

Thoughts? A couple variations are to not top deck the card and for the bonus to be +1$ +1 Action. I think three is the right cost because at $4 it's strictly better than Feast.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:34:59 pm by Archetype »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Vassal
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »

Hmm, it might be too narrow. But when it's good, it's a steal for $3. I'd either reduce the bonus or price it at $5.

Cool idea.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

I like it too. It's most similar to procession, except you get +2$ instead of the effect of the action card, and you have a little bit more options, and you can take the terminal silver if there's no action card to trash. It sounds different enough to be cool.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:51:54 pm »

Random card idea I had. The name has probably been done before, but hopefully the effect hasn't.

Vassal
Action $3

+2$
You may trash an action card you have in play (including this). Gain a card costing up to 1$ more than the trashed card, placing it on top of your deck.

Thoughts? A couple variations are to not top deck the card and for the bonus to be +1$ +1 Action. I think three is the right cost because at $4 it's strictly better than Feast.
Feast is better with cost reduction and Duchy gain if you just want a loophole that would let you put it at 4$.  But it's probably too strong at 4$ just anyway

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:58:16 pm »
+3

This sounds way too powerful to me. Too good in engines. Also, neato thing:

I play fortress.
I play vassal, trashing fortress into hand, gaining BoM on top of my deck.
I play fortress.
I play BoM as vassal, trashing fortress into hand, gaining BoM on top of my deck.
I play fortress.
Now I have 22 coins, 1 action, a fortress in hand, a 5-cost on the deck of my choice, and all 10 BoM. Okay, it's a 3-card combo. Whatever.

In general taking cards that you put in play out of play is too good. The only published cards that do this take themselves out of play or are procession, which itself is really strong.

Also, I could empty the supply in 3 turns with this card.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:00:18 pm by liopoil »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

KC-KC-Vassal-(card with at least +1 card) empties three piles and gives you loads of money. You probably want some sort of restriction on the gaining, e.g. "exactly $1 more".

EDIT: only a 2 card combo!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »

KC-KC-Vassal-(card with at least +1 card) empties three piles and gives you loads of money. You probably want some sort of restriction on the gaining, e.g. "exactly $1 more".

EDIT: only a 2 card combo!
Oh, I thought it was exactly. Without that it's even more ridiculous, yeah.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 07:13:08 pm »

Fortress breaks everything.

If KC breaks something Throne room breaks it half as much though so it can be a concern.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

If KC breaks something Throne room breaks it half as much though so it can be a concern.

It doesn't work half as well with Throne Room, because you can't keep drawing the gained cards ad infinitum, unlike with King's court.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

It doesn't work half as well with Throne Room, because you can't keep drawing the gained cards ad infinitum, unlike with King's court.
I meant half loosely, like, some fractional amount, except, it's more like the square root of the amount or some other relationship since KC is like quadratic or some nonsense.  But basically stuff that is ridiculous when KC'ed will reward you pretty heavily for playing lots of copies with Villages or Throne Room, like Bridge

Something doesn't have to be infinite to be good.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »
+1

I meant half loosely, like, some fractional amount, except, it's more like the square root of the amount or some other relationship since KC is like quadratic or some nonsense.  But basically stuff that is ridiculous when KC'ed will reward you pretty heavily for playing lots of copies with Villages or Throne Room, like Bridge

This is more like scheme than like bridge. TR-scheme is just a permanent village. KC-scheme is the beginning of something beautiful.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 10:04:21 pm »

Speaking of Scheme, maybe the end-of-turn method is the way to solve the Fortress problem?

"When you discard this from play, you may trash another Action you have in play. If you do, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it."

Regardless of the wording, it probably wants +1 Action to not be too hard to use, just like Scheme.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

This is more like scheme than like bridge. TR-scheme is just a permanent village. KC-scheme is the beginning of something beautiful.
Eh... true..

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:07:04 am »

How powerful would a trashing Cellar be? Seems very strong.

+1 Action, Trash any number of cards. +1 Card per card trashed.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:44 am »

Hm. Well, having it be "exactly 1$ more" will make it much weaker on boards where aren't any 4s since it can't upgrade itself. But I guess it'd be weak anyways since it couldn't go from 4 to 5.

Maybe:

Vassal
Action $3

+2$

You may trash an Action card you have in play (including this). Gain a card of equal or lower cost, putting it on top of your deck.
or
Vassal
Action $5

+1 Action
+2$

You may trash an Action card you have in play (including this). Gain a card costing up to $1 more, putting it on top of your deck.
or
Vassal
Action $2

+1 Action
+1$

Trash an Action card you have in play (including this). Gain a card costing exactly 1$ more, putting it on top of your deck.

First one really pushes for it being a 1-shot silver gainer. Or to just keep playing a Vassal every turn. But it could also be used in an engine to play multiple power fives (Play Vassal, Trash Festival and topdeck one, play a +Card card, and play another Festival). Which could be cool, but actually work in only some situations. The second one could probably get more play. Trash it for a Gold and then draw the Gold for an easy +5$. The third one has compulsory trashing and is non terminal, which felt more appropriate here. I like the feel of this one a lot more, but feel that it could be even more niche than the original Vassal. And makes the 3 card combo much more accessible.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 12:36:10 am »

Another option would be to "return" cards to their supply piles, but that feels kind of gimmicky.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 01:59:34 pm »

How powerful would a trashing Cellar be? Seems very strong.

+1 Action, Trash any number of cards. +1 Card per card trashed.
While it seems like a very different concept, that could be really interesting. Might not even need the +1 Action, since it's already a MUCH better version of Chapel. Draw "Neochapel", Silver, and three starting junk cards, and you can trash the junk for +3 Cards and almost certainly get some new treasure to line up with the Silver and actually buy something. And even without that you can cycle back around fast so that you keep drawing it much faster than you'd draw Chapel. Mistiming your reshuffle could be a problem, but with the ability to control reshuffles better with selective drawing, I imagine it'd generally be possible to work around.

I'm imagining the terminal version at $4, but even then it seems like it could be really scary. $5 could be really awkward to use though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.