Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All

Author Topic: Prismata  (Read 133565 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Prismata
« Reply #450 on: March 14, 2018, 01:29:14 pm »

Anyway, I think they did a pretty good job with the campaign

You really think so? The story is nothing.

The story is mildly amusing I guess? I wouldn't say it's hit its stride yet, but hey it was cool to see the in-universe justification for Animus units.

The campaign throws lots of nice puzzles at you, at least in expert mode for the missions. I haven't got very far in terms of completing the missions on expert mode. I got stuck at the 4th expert mode mission (the one with Omega Splitters), even though they can be done in any order.

I feel like the 4th one was the most difficult. That and the bonus mission's expert mode are significantly more difficult than the rest.

I don't think the story is amazing but it doesn't suck either, and it serves its purpose. Mostly it's just cool to find out about the lore.

Yeah having an interesting lore matters. I was surprised by how much more interested I got in Magic: The Gathering after I learned about some of its lore from the later sets.

I haven't tried the other expert puzzles yet to make a judgement on which puzzles were the most difficult. I think what makes the 4th puzzle much harder that the preceding ones is that it's a puzzle that challenges both your army buildup strategy and your attack/defense strategy, whereas the others focus on more specific aspects of the game. It's also not obvious when you reached a dead end like 5 turns ago, which is true for a lot of the harder puzzles I guess.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »

The story is mildly amusing I guess? I wouldn't say it's hit its stride yet, but hey it was cool to see the in-universe justification for Animus units.

The campaign throws lots of nice puzzles at you, at least in expert mode for the missions. I haven't got very far in terms of completing the missions on expert mode. I got stuck at the 4th expert mode mission (the one with Omega Splitters), even though they can be done in any order.

The puzzles are nice. In terms of mechanics, the campaign does a good job.

Maybe the campaign gets better, but I kind of doubt it. I find it odd that there are no voice actors.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 14, 2018, 03:37:58 pm »

The puzzles are nice. In terms of mechanics, the campaign does a good job.

Maybe the campaign gets better, but I kind of doubt it. I find it odd that there are no voice actors.

Yeah I think at best you get some sound bytes when people start talking sometimes. It would be cool if those were more consistent. Getting good voice actors is a whole other issue to tackle though. You don't want some random friends of the developers doing all the voice acting I don't think.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:45 pm »

There's now a free weekend on Steam. AFAIK you get to keep the Prismata account that you make, which means you can still play using the standalone client or the web client after the free weekend is over, so it's a great idea to get it now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2018, 06:08:12 pm »
+1

There's now a free weekend on Steam. AFAIK you get to keep the Prismata account that you make, which means you can still play using the standalone client or the web client after the free weekend is over, so it's a great idea to get it now.

Did they get rid of their F2P model?  Shouldn't it... always be free?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:53 pm »
+1

It appears there is a non-zero download price for it on the Steam store. Their Steam page says there will be a cheaper version of the game that comes with less single player content.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:53 am »
+1

No and no. They are going to release it for free later, but during early access, you normally have to ask for a free key or buy at least Engineer tier ($25) because they don't want to present an unfinished product to random people who aren't committed enough to ask for a key.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2018, 01:25:07 pm »

No and no. They are going to release it for free later, but during early access, you normally have to ask for a free key or buy at least Engineer tier ($25) because they don't want to present an unfinished product to random people who aren't committed enough to ask for a key.

Yeah I was thinking maybe there is a charge for early access, but I am unfamiliar with how monetization for early access games works and haven't been keeping up with too much Prismata news.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2018, 04:38:44 pm »

I was looking at Prismata on Steam for a while, and I finally got it while it was free.  So far, I've only played the episode 1 campaign, and some of the other single-player content.  I'm not sure I'm really interested in playing against randos, but I told a couple friends to get it too, so maybe I'll play with them at some point.  Here are some impressions so far.

Compared to Dominion, this seems far more optimized for digital/online play.  It's relatively easy to visually parse.  There aren't any mechanics like shuffling, which I think is far easier to track and understand when you're doing the shuffling physically.  It's designed for timed play, which solves the slow-rolling problem.  And it seems much more amenable to AI.

I couple things I'm less fond of: It's very math-y.  And I tend to prefer games that are about parallel building up, rather than direct confrontation.

I don't have a great understanding of the strategy, but this morning I had the realization that it's sort of like Temporum, where everything has a "par" value.  In Temporum the expected value of a turn is $8, with cards = crowns = $4, but you might make more or less depending on tactics.  In Prismata, there's a "par" interest rate of 33% a turn, so that 3 of anything this turn is worth 4 next turn.  We also have Gaussite ~ Replicase ~ $1, Behemium ~ $2, and a single point of damage/defense is worth a bit more than $2.  I tried calculating the values of a few basic units, and it seems that Gauss Cannons are about par, Tarsiers are above par, Walls are only better than par if they absorb damage.  Rhinos just seem weak...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2018, 05:10:55 pm »
+1

Rhinos just seem weak...

It's not weak, but it can be difficult to use efficiently when you're inexperienced at the game. At best, Rhino can absorb for 1 the turn it comes into play, attack for 1 on the following two turns, and absorb for 1 for the rest of the game. That's way better than Tarsier. Even a Rhino that just absorbs 1, attacks for 1 twice, and soaks for 2 is better than par. If you don't absorb on the Rhino or if it dies before you get full value out of it, then it's weak.

It's also worth noting that red is actually worth less than $1, because it disappears at the end of your turn if you didn't spend it and Animus gives you two of them, which means that you pretty often have an extra red that you don't necessarily need for anything per se. Buying a Rhino in this case essentially only costs $5, because the red was "free" anyway.

Also real games are way less mathy than the single-player content. There's still math involved, but mostly it just gets so complex that you don't have enough time to do it so you just rely on your intuition.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:13:41 pm by Awaclus »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2018, 06:12:15 pm »

It's not weak, but it can be difficult to use efficiently when you're inexperienced at the game. At best, Rhino can absorb for 1 the turn it comes into play, attack for 1 on the following two turns, and absorb for 1 for the rest of the game. That's way better than Tarsier. Even a Rhino that just absorbs 1, attacks for 1 twice, and soaks for 2 is better than par. If you don't absorb on the Rhino or if it dies before you get full value out of it, then it's weak.
I see.  I wasn't counting the absorption value, but if you get the absorption on the turn it comes out, it seems decent.

I think the training content might encourage over-reliance on walls, which makes the absorption value of Rhinos a bit useless.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2018, 11:55:24 am »

I see.  I wasn't counting the absorption value, but if you get the absorption on the turn it comes out, it seems decent.

I think the training content might encourage over-reliance on walls, which makes the absorption value of Rhinos a bit useless.

One of the puzzles outside the campaign, I think it's called "Countdown (1)", does a good job of highlighting the absord + attack efficiency of Rhinos.

Man, the expert campaign puzzles can get daunting. They get challenging when you have no idea if you are on the right track in terms of strategy or if you have to completely flip your thinking.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:45 pm »

Well, Wall is good. The problem is that Steelsplitter is bad, which means you might want to use Rhino as an absorber in games where the random set doesn't have good blue units.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #463 on: September 26, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »
+1

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 27, 2018, 01:34:45 am »

It's finally "launched"? It's been considered in beta longer than any game I've ever known.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #465 on: September 27, 2018, 01:48:57 am »

It's finally "launched"? It's been considered in beta longer than any game I've ever known.

It's still in Early Access, but it's now free to play on Steam (without having to go to the Discord and asking for a key).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »

Well, Wall is good.

Not if you have too many cards, it isn't.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #467 on: January 16, 2019, 01:51:27 am »

The new balance patch is pretty cool. I haven't had a chance to play with the new Wild Drone yet, but all the other units that were changed are significantly more fun than they used to be.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.