Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19  All

Author Topic: Prismata  (Read 133594 times)

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: Prismata
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2015, 09:44:54 pm »

I've been playing mostly against the ai a bunch.  Mostly because I'm playing in short periods of time where I might need to leave, so playing against people isn't a good option.  Also because I'm only level 5 or 6, and there aren't a ton down at that level.  But I'd be happy to play friendly matches.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2015, 10:22:44 pm »

Hmm I'm not sure how many strong players still play prismata here but I'm wondering if anyone knows what to focus on to make the last couple jumps to like 1900/2000 elo.

game is hard :/

silverspawn is 4th in the world.....I think that is our silverspawn at least
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2015, 10:38:49 pm »

Hmm I'm not sure how many strong players still play prismata here but I'm wondering if anyone knows what to focus on to make the last couple jumps to like 1900/2000 elo.

It's supposed to be. He put aside being serious about Dominion to focus on Prismata. The results speak for themselves.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2015, 10:31:44 am »

I've been playing mostly against the ai a bunch.  Mostly because I'm playing in short periods of time where I might need to leave, so playing against people isn't a good option.  Also because I'm only level 5 or 6, and there aren't a ton down at that level.  But I'd be happy to play friendly matches.

Same here.  It helps that the AI is much better than any Dominion AI we've seen.  I'm mostly good against the 3-second Master bot.  Being in Tier 5, though, makes it hard to move up because it's hard to find matches.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 14, 2015, 11:21:35 am »

It's hard to give useful advice in a vacuum, because there are so many things you might be doing wrong - or not be doing wrong. You could post replays where you thought you played really well but still lost, that might help.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:29 am »

It's supposed to be. He put aside being serious about Dominion to focus on Prismata. The results speak for themselves.

I'm not sure if I'm really 4th skill wise, but yeah, it's me. Thanks for the kind words! :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »

It's hard to give useful advice in a vacuum, because there are so many things you might be doing wrong - or not be doing wrong. You could post replays where you thought you played really well but still lost, that might help.

I do think that despite the idea that Prismata doesn't have an opening book the way chess does, that studying common openings can be helpful, in particular the "naturals" like P2 DD/DDC and P1 DD/DD/DD[A/B].
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 18, 2015, 10:10:18 am »

jnot6-3LKhz
Here I felt pretty good for almost all of it. Until the turn I couldn't defend I thought I was winning.

GC2eA-E8qbz
Here I felt ahead and I'm not really sure where but I just slowly felt like I lost control of the game. Maybe i was never winning though

gBkJ4-K@30J
I tried to pressure but that was probably dumb with poly in the set. I feel like I know why I lost this one but am wondering if my idea was any good.

vkRkQ-E704t

It felt even to me and then suddenly i couldn't hold anymore.

These are some of my recent losses. I've never analyzed my own replays so I'm not really sure what to say about them or how to tell where I went wrong. Thats probably something I should get better at also.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 18, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »
+2

jnot6-3LKhz
Here I felt pretty good for almost all of it. Until the turn I couldn't defend I thought I was winning.
Well, this is fairly easy. For one you shouldn't have gone third engineer in this set - only get the third engineer when there's a reason for it the set (usually a 3+ absorber) which wasn't the case here - so that's a pretty general mistake. You also focused too much on building trinities to counter the deadeyes. That used to be good against the old deadeyes, but with the new ones, the click ability isn't really stronger than attacking anymore (unless you deny absorb), so building trinities to counter them is not really a thing. You can still do it if it comes naturally and you only have a few drones anyway, but investing in it is not worth it. You also bought more conduits than you can support.

GC2eA-E8qbz
Here I felt ahead and I'm not really sure where but I just slowly felt like I lost control of the game. Maybe i was never winning though
I think you lost on turn 4 when you cut a drone to get a third conduit. That's bad for 2 reasons: a) rushing damage in an energy matrix set is almost always bad (this ended up not being the case here because he made the mistake of building frontline units, but hadn't he done that it would've been over much more quickly) and b) because you can't support triple conduit for long. That might not seem like much but it's actually game-losingly big, because it happened so early in the game. It matters more than big strategical decisions later.

gBkJ4-K@30J
I tried to pressure but that was probably dumb with poly in the set. I feel like I know why I lost this one but am wondering if my idea was any good.
I actually think you played really well that game, the problem was just that your opponent did too, and flame animus,  especially in combination with a core, is pretty p1 favored. I do think getting your own flame animus was wrong, just because you were overteched and you had to cut a drone for it, but it's a really minor mistake compared to the stuff in the other games.

vkRkQ-E704t
It felt even to me and then suddenly i couldn't hold anymore.
Okay that was a weird game. What I can say is that getting gauss fab when you already have other damage is almost always wrong, and so is getting it against wild drones, unless you want to go breach proof. I also think the WD / WD EE / WD WD / ... build is generally much stronger than what you did here.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 18, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »

oh boy sounds like i still have a bunch to learn.

thanks for the tips silver!

I guess I try to go 3rd engi if I want to build expensive units like asteri or things like that. But I never considered that it won't be worth it if I don't have good defense to go along with it. I'll keep that in mind.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2015, 12:44:21 pm »
+1

I guess I try to go 3rd engi if I want to build expensive units like asteri or things like that. But I never considered that it won't be worth it if I don't have good defense to go along with it. I'll keep that in mind.

I mean, the reason why absorb changes how many drones you want is that big absorb decreases the utility of early damage. If there was no absorb, there wouldn't really be a reason to not get tech buildings on turn 1, since damage is generally more efficient than economy. But because there's wall, you have that certain time frame in which your damage won't produce any value, which is important enough to make early tech buildings lose. If that hurdle is 3 instead of 2 (in case of infusion grid), that can be enough to justify a little bit more economy before the first damage, hence the third engineer.

What you said is unrelated and does matter sometimes, but not for asteri canons. The better way to think about it is that you want more drones when you need them to spend your tech. If you go for green, that's never a problem, because you can just adjust the amount of tech you get (you can still get asteris with fewer droes and conduits). But if you want something like Lucina for which you need at least double animus and a blastforge, having too few drones can cause you to waste red, so that might be a reason to get more drones even if there's no good absorber.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 25, 2015, 02:56:24 am »

Oh boy. I don't know what happened but I've lost like 200 points in the last 2 days. I seem to be losing about 80% of my games suddenly. Hopefully I'll bounce back.

(I've finished 4 arena runs and only gotten enough green for 1 unlock...)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 25, 2015, 10:28:43 pm »

Does anyone know if they have done any performance updates in recent patches?  I had to quit this game merely because my computer couldn't handle it, presumably due to poorly optimized beta code. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 26, 2015, 12:07:37 am »

Does anyone know if they have done any performance updates in recent patches?  I had to quit this game merely because my computer couldn't handle it, presumably due to poorly optimized beta code. 

I don't know if there have been specific performance upgrades that would affect you, but it's certainly running faster for me lately; certainly loading time is much better.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 27, 2015, 05:49:24 pm »

I tried it yesterday, it seemed better.  But I couldn't figure out the new interface for playing multiplayer.  The only thing that looked like old multiplayer matchmaking was "arena", and there was like normal, deluxe, and super deluxe or something, and it sounded like normal would expire after a while, but i picked normal, and the queue just search and searched and searched and searched forever.  Maybe I was on hiatus so long my skill level decayed to less than brand new account levels and it finds me unsuitable to face anyone, idk

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 27, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »

I tried it yesterday, it seemed better.  But I couldn't figure out the new interface for playing multiplayer.  The only thing that looked like old multiplayer matchmaking was "arena", and there was like normal, deluxe, and super deluxe or something, and it sounded like normal would expire after a while, but i picked normal, and the queue just search and searched and searched and searched forever.  Maybe I was on hiatus so long my skill level decayed to less than brand new account levels and it finds me unsuitable to face anyone, idk

Well, your tier never drops, but one of the main troubles with Prismata is there are so few players, total.

The Arena is the "new" matchmaking.  The normal "Carbon" arena never expires, for anyone ever.  Higher-level tickets can expire, but it depends on whether you've purchased them or won them, I think.  And of course some supporter levels have permanant Gold arenas.  Like Hearthstone, your current Arena run never expires.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:48 am »
+1

One thing that really helped me was going into the settings and making my FPS to like 15 instead of 60. I don't notice it really at all in a game like this and it seemed to make my laptops fan stop going insane whenever i would tab to it. Hopefully that helps!

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2015, 01:40:04 am »

and ya... this is the biggest issue I think right now if your elo is a bit lower. unless you queue at a time with other players that are newish it can take forever to match you. One thing you can try is enabling more timecontrols to queue for. So if right now your only queuing for 90s base+5 it might take a while even if new players are on since they might not be queuing it. But if you go for like 90-45 second as base+5 and 8 you have a much better chance of finding a game at least.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2015, 10:50:13 am »

My "tier " is the same as when I left.  Is there an elo hidden beneath that? Or are you matched based on tier?

Does the elo hidden beneath it decay? I wasn't the best prismata player ever but I wasn't awful

The fps tip is super helpful

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:53 am »

My "tier " is the same as when I left.  Is there an elo hidden beneath that? Or are you matched based on tier?

Does the elo hidden beneath it decay? I wasn't the best prismata player ever but I wasn't awful

Yes, yes but the search widens pretty quickly, no, in that order.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »

The tiers are like Hearthstone ranks: a cosmetic layer sitting on top of a more nuanced matchmaking system that provides players with a sense of progress.

I haven't played Prismata for a while, but the difficulty in finding matches sounds like it could be a problem.  I also worry that when they finally launch it might be very difficult for new players to get into the game.  They've put a lot of effort into continued unit development, which means on launch there'll be something like a base game and 3 expansions worth of content, which could be a lot to take in for a new players unless they're very careful how they handle it.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2015, 09:45:45 pm »

If your wondering what your actual elo is you can use this

http://prismata.thedanives.com/#

Just put in one of your replay codes in there and it will say the elo of the 2 people in the game.

This is the same number used for the leaderboards of the top 200 players.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2015, 02:28:43 pm »

They have!

There have also been great balance changes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:40:38 am by silverspawn »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »

The tiers are like Hearthstone ranks: a cosmetic layer sitting on top of a more nuanced matchmaking system that provides players with a sense of progress.

I haven't played Prismata for a while, but the difficulty in finding matches sounds like it could be a problem.  I also worry that when they finally launch it might be very difficult for new players to get into the game.  They've put a lot of effort into continued unit development, which means on launch there'll be something like a base game and 3 expansions worth of content, which could be a lot to take in for a new players unless they're very careful how they handle it.

Well, the reason why it hasn't been released yet is that the devs want it to be as accessible as possible before doing so, which has the downside of a small player base at the moment. They want an amazing tutorial and a lot of other stuff first.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:37 pm »
+4

Apparently a bug made me show up as number two on the leaderboard today.

I'm so skilled, I'm under -9000.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.