Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Prismata  (Read 133583 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Prismata
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2015, 07:35:14 am »
+4

Note to self: C is not the keyboard shortcut for Chrono Filter.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2015, 09:52:02 am »
+1

So engineer is a flat 6 by these calculations, right?

If you just look at the price, yes. But that's misleading, because engineer doesn't have prompt. Money increases each turn, so buying engineers to defend is not actually efficient.
Even at tier 5-6, I see players sometimes buy Engineers even when they don't need the energy or Tesla Coil fodder. It's not prompt, so in those cases you only want to buy Engineer if you expect it to block the turn it can do so. My habit is to never buy a third Engineer early unless I'm going to use the energy.

So anyway, what are your favourite units guys? Mine is the Trinity Drone. It goes such a long way to making breach-tolerant strategies viable. It's also a nice way to use spare green. The runner up for me seems to be Plasmafier. I don't know what it is about this unit that draws me to it so much. Maybe it's the fact that you can transition to it through blue tech, or maybe it's the raw power of the unit. It seems to me like you really don't want to play passively when it means your opponent can produce these without worrying too much about defense.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:35 am »
+1

So anyway, what are your favourite units guys?

top 3 are doomed drone (decreases first/second player advantage in almost every game and opens up new builds without being overly powerful), ossified drone (requires planing ahead and feels great if it makes you win), and feral warden (underrated, super strong, and I miss it in every game where I go red and he's not there)

there are so many great units in this game though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2015, 11:19:38 am »

So anyway, what are your favourite units guys?

top 3 are doomed drone (decreases first/second player advantage in almost every game and opens up new builds without being overly powerful), ossified drone (requires planing ahead and feels great if it makes you win), and feral warden (underrated, super strong, and I miss it in every game where I go red and he's not there)

there are so many great units in this game though.
Yes, there are so many great units in the game. I like all the units you mentioned too, though I could use more experience with Doomed Drone.

I guess in general I like the green tech the most. Cluster Bomb is neat and the green prompt defenders let you do more exotic things.

I'm steadily progressing up the tiers, but it's a slow process because I don't have time to play too many games in one sitting.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

My favourite unit are drones. I could always have more drones. So round and shiny...

Other than that, I like Zemora Voidbringer when only one player buys it, because it leads to very asymmetric games. Other than that, Tia Thurnax is cool in those games when it isn't an autobuy; knowing when is the right time to pull the trigger is tricky. And I think my best "win rate with" is with Centurion. I don't remember losing a game in which I bought it.

My favourite unit used to be scorchilla. Haha, that has changed.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:46 am »

where do you see your "best winrate with"?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »

where do you see your "best winrate with"?

I don't.

And I think my best "win rate with" is with Centurion. I don't remember losing a game in which I bought it.

It would definitely be a nice feature though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »

Doomed Drone, Militia, Bloodrager, Antima Comet, Asteri Cannon, Plexo Cell.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »

I... just realized that Tesla Coil kills your own engineers. wtf?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2015, 05:56:05 pm »
+3

A Tesla Coil that is dangerous enough to do 3 damage is also dangerous enough to kill the units that manage it. I don't see the problem here?
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2015, 09:41:24 pm »
+2

I just played a neat game starring a couple of my favorite units: IT9sm-86Mfv. I was quite unsure how to open: I didn't want too many Wild Drones since they don't work well with Defense Grid, but I really wanted an early Conduit to get a Xeno Guardian and eventually a Gauss Fabricator, so I ponied up for two Wild Drones. Then my opponent's extremely passive opening (he also missed a free Engineer kill) meant I didn't really need the Xeno in a hurry after all, so I got Tarsiers instead.

But okay, once the opening had sorta played itself out, my opponent committed very heavily to freeze, spending all his red on Frostbites. I had just started ossifying, and had actually already bought a second Xeno Guardian, thinking "well the first one is about to die, so this is like a Steelsplitter with a Gauss Charge and a Barrier". But once he started getting Frostbites, my plan just got even better: I'll mass Xeno Guardians and Ossified Drones! As long as I only use Doomed Wall for defense, never Wall, his Frostbites can only freeze for 2, which decreases their value a lot; and Xeno/Ossified are both very freeze-resistant, because they can still do their stuff while defending.

In the end I actually piled out Xeno Guardians, which may be a first for me; my Ossified Drones made a mockery of his freeze; I hit what may be a personal record of 51 health in blockers after committing my attackers (ie, none); and I built a Gauss Fabricator without instantly losing, which is what usually happens when I build one.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:44 am »
+1

That is the worst set for freeze that I have ever seen.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2015, 10:52:16 am »
+1

Kyfcb-pvTb5

This is the first time I've beaten the DD/DDC/DA/SS Scorchzilla rush as White.  I soak the first hit with 3 Engineers and a Protoplasm, then pick up my own Scorchzillas two turns behind; my first hit goes into 2 Forcefields and 2 Rhinos.  On my next turn I have to build 4 Forcefields, but rebuild 3 Drones; they lose 2 Forcefields and 4 Rhinos on my next strike, at which point I have 13 Drones against their 9.  They start on Tarsiers, which are not a problem for me at first as they just run into a Protoplasm, but become a serious threat towards the end of the game when I need my in between turns to prepare for Scorchzilla.  I catch up to the third Scorchzilla and they soon run out of economy.

Protoplasm is probably one of the best counters to Scorchzilla, as it's cost-effective defense followed by burst damage, and you have to punish the rusher by threatening to breach.  It also doesn't require a diversion from red/green, so you can combine it with your own Scorchzillas a turn or two behind with a better developed economy.

During the game I thought that my DD/DC/DDC opening was probably pretty silly, despite dropping to 0 green at least once.  But perhaps it's a small amount of misdirection, as it looks like a (possibly badly executed) White Scorchzilla rush.  In any case, the extra Conduit was an important part of my economic advantage.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:37 am »

protoplasm is always good if no-one has blue, but it's actually not unusual that you can beat scorchilla by doing something completely different. it feels like 9 out of 10 people go for the rush if they're second player, but it's really overrated.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2015, 09:45:07 am »
+1

I think this is a semi-official sketch of a new unit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Prismata/comments/2ulwv3/qafeedback_feb_115/

it looks... like a protoss unit

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2015, 09:24:48 am »
+1

New Patch:

Ossified Drone: cost changed from 5RE to 2R + Consume a Drone. Not a buff in "power", but a buff to make Ossified Drone easier to fit into your openings.
Grenademech now has a click ability: Consume a Blastforge, Construct 2 Pixies. It needed a buff, but decreasing the cost to 9BB was not an option because player 2 would then gain access to a very oppressive DD/BB/Grenademech rush (which, while counterable with base set only, led to pretty unfun games). Instead, we added an on-flavour click ability that might remind you a bit of Drake's (note that the damage comes one turn later, but in Pixie form, so it's neither strictly better nor strictly worse).
Asteri Cannon - cost increased by G to 16GGGG, HP increased to 11, ability cost increased to 5HP. Asteri was OP to the point that players who didn't get it often lost. The change to its HP is mostly to make it a more reasonable purchase in situations where players would prefer NOT to use its click ability.
Steelforge - cost decreased from 3 to 2. Steelforge is one of the first units ever added to Prismata (after Drone, Steelsplitter, and Blastforge) and has been changed dozens of times. It used to be far more expensive but had a 1 gold activation cost and produced Steelsplitters that could attack right away, leading to some pretty cool (and often OP) rushes. Changing its cost to involve "Consume a Blastforge" helped deal with the rushes, but we think it can handle a little buff now.
Lucina Spinos - cost decreased from 18RRRR to 17RRRR. We nerfed Lucina really hard recently; she seems OK at 18RRRR but a tiny buff won't hurt. 16RRRR was ruled out for allowing a really scary player 2 rush with Wild Drones (though you can still try it with Doomed Drones!)
Frost Brooder - lifespan reduced from 9 to 7. We wanted to (slightly) nerf strategies involving stockpiling a ton of Frostbites. You can still go double Frost Brooder if you want.
Deadeye Operative - cost increased to 11BB, attack increased to 2, cost to snipe a Drone increased to "pay 2 attack". This was a hard decision. The original 7BB Deadeye was a unit that I initially hated, but I grew to love the unique and interesting board states it led to. Unfortunately, it was oppressive and drawish, and the recent change to 8BB with one attack didn't seem to help much. So we're trying something rather different.
Tia Thurnax - cost increased by 2 to 6GGGR + sac 7 Drones. A pretty small nerf, but it should weaken Tia Thurnax rushes a bit. We thought about reducing its HP instead, but that would do nothing to help strategies that aimed to "weather the storm" by defending against Tia's 21 damage over 3 turns.
Scorchilla: cost reduced from 7RG to 5RG. Build time increased from 1 to 2. Many people complained that Scorchilla was oppressive because it forced players to guard against Scorchilla rushes like player 2's DD/DDC/DA into double Scorchilla, which placed strong constraints on player 1's choice of openings. In ladder games, we saw a 56% win rate with player 2 when Scorchilla was in the set (though it was close to 50-50 between 1600+ players). In any case, we're gonna try a new version. We'll do another survey later to see whether you guys want the old one back.
Endotherm Kit - Replaced by a new unit that does the following:
Cost 5RRGG
Build time 4
Supply 1
Spell: Construct 4 Frostbites and 4 Cryo Rays
Survey's in, players don't enjoy games with a lot of cheap, strong freeze units. The old Endotherm is cut. The replacement is a variation of a unit we were planning on releasing later this year (which originally spawned a stash of another freeze unit that currently isn't included in Prismata). We reworked it slightly to fit into Endotherm's slot and use its art. The long construction time means you'll have a lot of time to prepare for its arrival.
Auric Impulse: Cost changed from 5 to 4E. It now gives 5E instead of 6. We really wanted to buff the 5->6 version of Auric Impulse to 4->5, but doing so gave a huge advantage to player 2. The cost of 4E makes it work, and the fact that it also produces an energy when purchased means that you can cycle them a ton (and then buy a lot of drones all at once, if you want). It feels a bit different, but I think it's more interesting now.
Doomed Drone and Vivid Drone: we're keeping the current versions of both! You guys liked the changes, and we did too.
Apollo and Cluster Bolt: no changes. But we're keeping an eye on these two.

I think this is pretty good, overall. I'm between like and null on all of them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:53 am »

I'm not a fan of the Deadeye Operative change, I liked the current version. And I wonder if Grenade Mech could have had a simpler buff, this one is a bit complicated when combined with everything else the card already has. The other changes look pretty good.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:23 am »

I don't really like the Auric Impulse change, in particular the energy part. It's basically a drone, now. It allowed for some tricks when you didn't have enough engineers before, and not anymore...

I never felt like Asteri cannon was all that powerful, compared to the other 3 attack units. Oh well.

The ossified drone should make it much easier to fit in your build order. That's cool.
Grenade Mech change could be interesting. We'll see.

I think the Deadeye change might kill it. It's certainly going to kill DO rushes. That might not be bad, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:50 am »

Opponent opens two Drones. I open Drone, Doomed Drone, Engineer. Opponent resigns.

What was up with that?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:57 am »

Opponent opens two Drones. I open Drone, Doomed Drone, Engineer. Opponent resigns.

What was up with that?

I would guess, external factor. Called in to work/oven on fire/baby woke up/etc.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:23 am »
+4

What was up with that?

I would guess, external factor. Called in to work/oven on fire/baby woke up/etc.

I knew they buffed Doomed Drone, but I didn't realize it could do that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:20 pm »

I decided that I don't like the new auric impulse. It's different now, you rarely net +1 anymore, you just buy it instead of a drone. Also, it's never worse than a drone if you wouldn't use the extra coin, so you can do silly auric + drone openings as P2 for no reason.

that's still the only change I don't like though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:28 pm »

I decided that I don't like the new auric impulse. It's different now, you rarely net +1 anymore, you just buy it instead of a drone. Also, it's never worse than a drone if you wouldn't use the extra coin, so you can do silly auric + drone openings as P2 for no reason.

Lots of people seem to agree that this change was problematic.  I'm uncertain where the happy medium is though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »

It's pretty cool with Vivid Drone, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2015, 08:01:14 am »

I'm not a fan of the Deadeye Operative change, I liked the current version.

I take this back, the new version is even more fun.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.