Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Prismata  (Read 133577 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Prismata
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 12:56:27 am »
+1

Watching the stream is insightful and also slightly sad. It's so much mathing and chessing.  It reminds me of a group of people trying to play Power Grid optimally.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 01:02:20 am »

I haven't looked further into the game yet, but now I am intimidated.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 09:40:42 am »

I got Google's new Flash working in Chromium, so have been able to give this a go.  Does an alpha key just buy you PvP?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
+1

Watching the stream is insightful and also slightly sad. It's so much mathing and chessing.  It reminds me of a group of people trying to play Power Grid optimally.
I only watched the first hour or something, but it didn't seem all that mathy, and certainly not like chess (not 100% sure I know what 'chessy' means - having spent time analyzing with Grandmasters, I don't think the perception of the general public matches reality). Also, I don't mind calculation - I actually mind luck more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 10:01:05 am »

But... that's the beauty of it!

Also,  saying all the mathing and chessing is sad after all the times you've walloped me at TTA... ;)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 10:02:01 am »

A wild WanderingWinder appears!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Timetothex

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 02:01:51 am »

But... that's the beauty of it!

Also,  saying all the mathing and chessing is sad after all the times you've walloped me at TTA... ;)

Ambassador 201 was my favorite dominion article I ever read. I think you'd like Prismata

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:39 am »
+4

I seem to be able to hold my own against Master Bot, so I've now backed my first ever Kickstarter project.  I should be qmech over there once the key comes through.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:12 am »
+1

http://play.prismata.net/?r=283ho-otIUB

A very close game.  Omega Splitter (3/6) vs Iso Kronus (2/0 but attacks every second round).  I let him breach on Turn 10 (though he can't accept the breach because he wouldn't have enough defense the following round), but the next round he has 2 attack max.

He resigns on T12, probably because he was going to have to start sacrificing drones and green to build Forcefields, which would have killed his econ.

----

Also, I think the reason I enjoy the game is the mathiness of it.  Interestingly, of the "MCDS" name, I think it resembles Dominion the least.  I've previously described Dominion as Starcraft without units--not on this forum--due to the economic development followed by engine development and then VP purchasing.  Prismata carries only the random setup aspect of Dominion.  So basically, it's:

The fighting and economy of Starcraft without the micro or the twitchiness (and I may not be that old, but I'm old enough that the twitchiness isn't there any more)
The luck of Chess (or SC, where there is no luck assuming percect play) without the openings and memorization (which as pointed out above is also found in Chess 960)
The unit generation of Magic (or HS) without the decks or the annoying separate attacks-separate blocks-instant buffs/kills-damage/trample... thing (or the pay-to-win problem)
The randomness of setup of Dominion, without the decks or luck
The open information of Zendo (one of my favorite games, which has perfectly complete information), Puerto Rico, Power Grid, crayon rail games, St. Petersburg, etc.

The only real problem with it is that I can't play it in person.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:50:21 am by Kirian »

Temron

• Baron
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 04:58:08 am »
+2

I'm glad the people who have tried it are enjoying it. It has completely taken all of my dominion time. If anyone wants to play friendlies feel free to add me. I would also be happy to skype and walk newbies through the basics.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:50 am »

I am MicQsenoch on there. So far, I am not really enjoying it that much. I miss the emotional roller coaster of shuffles. But I think it's mostly that I don't know what the heck I'm doing. So I will keep trying I guess.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 11:40:42 am »

I've played it a lot over the weekend. It is quite addictive once you start seeing the quirky cards.

I had a funny game against the bot where I let him breach me three times in a row and still won. It involved Trinity Drones (for 2 coins and one conduit, a 5hp non-blocking drone that produces three coins per turn) and the Voidbringer (you can pay 8 conduit for 8 attack and 8 coins; takes 6 turns to build). Basically, because all my units had high health, I was quite impervious to breaches. Once the Voidbringer went online, my opponent had to start devoting most of his economy to defending himself, while I was earning far more money than him.

It probably wouldn't have worked against a human opponent though. The master bot prioritized my gauss cannons during the breaches, he should have gone for the blastforges and then the conduit instead, I think (with Voidbringer, every conduit is effectively a +1 attack, +1 coin unit, and they only have three health).

I am winning most of my games against the master bot now, it doesn't seem to understand some cards. I've easily won every game with scorchilla, for example. I don't really have that much free time, so I will have to pass on the alpha for now...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 12:23:25 pm »

Does anyone know if they plan to go mobile? No way I'm buying a computer game when the only time I really sit at a computer any more is at work.

In one of the Kickstarter or Reddit threads there was mention that they do intend to go mobile--that in fact the browser-based Flash app is very temporary, a port from their internal alpha executable, which will get ported to Android/iOS.  The click-and-swipe thing (to use all of a particular type of unit) was created with mobile in mind.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »

I've played it a lot over the weekend. It is quite addictive once you start seeing the quirky cards.

I had a funny game against the bot where I let him breach me three times in a row and still won. It involved Trinity Drones (for 2 coins and one conduit, a 5hp non-blocking drone that produces three coins per turn) and the Voidbringer (you can pay 8 conduit for 8 attack and 8 coins; takes 6 turns to build). Basically, because all my units had high health, I was quite impervious to breaches. Once the Voidbringer went online, my opponent had to start devoting most of his economy to defending himself, while I was earning far more money than him.

It probably wouldn't have worked against a human opponent though. The master bot prioritized my gauss cannons during the breaches, he should have gone for the blastforges and then the conduit instead, I think (with Voidbringer, every conduit is effectively a +1 attack, +1 coin unit, and they only have three health).

I am winning most of my games against the master bot now, it doesn't seem to understand some cards. I've easily won every game with scorchilla, for example. I don't really have that much free time, so I will have to pass on the alpha for now...

The resource you pay to build things is generally called "green": the conduit makes the resource, it isn't the resource itself. Mostly this doesn't matter, but I'm bringing it up because it can cause some confusion, especially if you start calling blue "blastforge": there are some cards that consume an actual blastforge unit, rather than just a blue resource. (The colors have actual names somewhere, but everyone just calls them red/blue/green).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »

The resource you pay to build things is generally called "green": the conduit makes the resource, it isn't the resource itself. Mostly this doesn't matter, but I'm bringing it up because it can cause some confusion, especially if you start calling blue "blastforge": there are some cards that consume an actual blastforge unit, rather than just a blue resource. (The colors have actual names somewhere, but everyone just calls them red/blue/green).

I think one of the tutorials calls the green stuff conduit? "You can accumulate conduit" or whatever. Could be misremembering it.

Red/Blue/Green is kinda lame, when there's clear thematic union between the related units.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »
+2

This game is deep, but intuition will get you a long way.

Is there a better way of using a stack of freezing units than clicking each of them individually?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 07:41:35 pm »
+3

This game is deep, but intuition will get you a long way.

Is there a better way of using a stack of freezing units than clicking each of them individually?

For most things you can do multiple times, holding shift does it as many times as possible. Clicking stacks, buying units...probably some other stuff I can't think of.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:25 pm »

Thank you, I'll give that a go next time I play.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:45 am »

Quote from: Elyot
3) Do you know of any communities that should hear about Prismata? Tell us, and email me (elyot@lunarchstudios.com) if you'd like to do a key giveaway. It only takes one person to make a MASSIVE difference, like Celerity's teamliquid thread that led to over 200 comments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunarchstudios/prismata-a-new-hybrid-game-of-pure-strategy/posts/1077290

Somebody could probably get a bunch of free keys for f.DS users if they emailed the devs.  We're in the name, right?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:08 am »

I would be interested in kickstarting if I know mobile is on the way real soon now. If it is say, more than 3 months away, I'll probably just wait until I would actually be able to play it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

phienn

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
    • Prismata - Lunarch Studios
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
+5

Quote from: Elyot
3) Do you know of any communities that should hear about Prismata? Tell us, and email me (elyot@lunarchstudios.com) if you'd like to do a key giveaway. It only takes one person to make a MASSIVE difference, like Celerity's teamliquid thread that led to over 200 comments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunarchstudios/prismata-a-new-hybrid-game-of-pure-strategy/posts/1077290

Somebody could probably get a bunch of free keys for f.DS users if they emailed the devs.  We're in the name, right?

Hello everyone! ;D My name is Rachel, and I work with Elyot and the Lunarch Studios team.

I'd be more than happy to give you guys some keys. After all, you are in the name. Not sure what the best way to go about this is. Maybe if you want a key you should PM me on here and I'll PM back with it? Or you can feel free to message me on reddit (u/eden000). If you already play Prismata, add me in the game! My username is phienn. I'm looking forward to playing with y'all soon!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 12:25:23 pm »
+4

You could make a new topic to raise awareness about the key giveaway and answer questions about the game :)

phienn

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
    • Prismata - Lunarch Studios
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 12:51:55 pm »
+2

Yeah? Okay, I'll definitely do that. I wasn't sure if that would be considered spam, but if it's okay by you then I'll definitely do so.

EDIT: The new topic is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12194.0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:21:20 pm by phienn »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

I went ahead and got myself a key. IGN is jonts.

I have no idea what I'm doing yet.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »
+1

Ichi and I just had a couple of games. Fun stuff.

Is there any... convenient... way to chat in friendly games, though?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.