Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: S4 League Champion Match: Congrats to the S4 champ!  (Read 15091 times)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: S4 League Champion Match: Congrats to the S4 champ!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 07:48:36 pm »
+1

After playing a couple solitaire games I think Embassy BM has about zero chance of winning on the Vineyards board. They would have to empty the Provinces consistently by turns 15-17.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Re: S4 League Champion Match: Thursday, 4 Dec, 19:30 UTC -- LIVE STREAMED
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 07:50:06 pm »

2. JW: Hermit, JackOfAllTrades, Bridge, Gardens, Moneylender, Procession, Journeyman, Hunting Grounds, Goons, Nobles; Provinces/Estates

I played this kingdom in a three-player game IRL. I barely pulled off a winning megaturn before the other players emptied Provinces with their more money/Jack/Nobles-focused strategies. None of us had any clue how to play the board and my friends will be glad to hear that Mic and DG were similarly puzzled. It's probably the most complicated random board I've played IRL.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2855
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 02:20:46 am »

After playing a couple solitaire games I think Embassy BM has about zero chance of winning on the Vineyards board. They would have to empty the Provinces consistently by turns 15-17.

I'm glad that my decision to go for Vineyards on that board has been justified after the fact, because when I decided to go for Vineyards, I did it because it seemed more fun to play.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:18 am »
+2

guys, just because you shouldn't put the result in the thread title doesn't mean you have to not post it at all.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 10:06:55 am »
+6

Ok, here's a little report then.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417723513826.txt
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417724914713.txt
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417725605606.txt
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417726666003.txt

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417728113581.txt
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417729808871.txt

Game 1
I was just thinking that the Shanty Town split was very important so I went for those pretty aggressively. I had good draws overall, really good at the start and then one very bad turn which made it a bit closer. I think he held on to the Trading Post too long and I would have sacked it to Apprentice at some point but maybe there wasn't a good opportunity. There was a turn where I had a hand of all Shanties and one Ambassador, I opted to play Ambassador so I could draw more cards with the drawback that he would get a free Shanty town, but he Moated it (my hand was public knowledge at that point). Eventually I can do Procession stuff to pile out and win.

Game 2
A weirdly weak kingdom for Goons, this board was a bit confusing for me. I wanted to do a Madman-Bridge thing but wasn't sure how to go about it. I opened Jack/Hermit, he goes for Moneylender/Hermit. I really dislike his second Moneylender. I chose Jack thinking that I'm still going to need to buy several $4 components, and a Nobles would be nice as well. He Processions a Madman not knowing how that would work out. I get a big enough turn eventually to 3 pile and win. Another nice board for Procession

Game 3
On a 4-3 I would have gone for the Vineyards thing, and now I think even on a 5/2 opening Talisman as P1 against a BM thing it could win. But at the time I just went for the more certain thing in Embassy. He also plays BM. I have good luck until my very last reshuffle and I'm happy to take a tie. I think ideal play looks like both players contesting the Oracles/FV heavily, just to make sure your opponent can't use Vineyards effectively. In this scenario Provinces end up being a good source of VP, but you can't go straight there with a simple money plan.

Game 4
This one looks like you clearly want Herald/Bridge, but there's a lot of different support. We both open Young Witch and skip the bane. BoM is incredible here. Procession is great too. Count is the fastest trashing available and our first 5s go towards it. I have awesome draws and it's hard to lose with luck like that.

So I won Season 4.

DG opted to stop after the match was decided, but Stef played the last two selected boards with me.

In the first one I think Stef got way too many Goons, I'm pretty sure you need some Golds/Provinces here. He also should probably be buying/trashing Coppers not Curses until he knows whether he's the one who will be in the position to 3 pile. Anyway, I get a really nice draw to buy 6 curses and trash them and the next turn I can end it. And somehow the Quarry he had to pass me earlier helps seal it.

In the second one I go for Rabble/Oracle/BM and he eventually gets his sweet Prince/Golem/Outpost/everything deck running. I get a lot of $5 hands at the start and this slows me down (I really need Gold), but his luck isn't great either. It is a close game, but at the end his constant attacks slow me down enough to catch up and beat me.

The recording of my commentary is at:
http://www.twitch.tv/mic_qsenoch/c/5619265
After the games with DG, I join the Skype call with the other commentators so you can hear them in the last two games.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:08:03 am by Mic Qsenoch »

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »

Game 4 (http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141204/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1417726666003.txt)
This one looks like you clearly want Herald/Bridge, but there's a lot of different support. We both open Young Witch and skip the bane. BoM is incredible here. Procession is great too. Count is the fastest trashing available and our first 5s go towards it. I have awesome draws and it's hard to lose with luck like that.

In retrospect, I think this would probably be more interesting with Estates than Shelters, at least in 2-player, to make Develop more attractive.  In 3-player, Develop is more important as the Bane, because you'll get junked under without it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »
+4

Ok my view on these matches:

Game 1: I really hadn't noticed that I'd blocked getting a shanty town with the moat and it could have been important. I felt I was generally short of stuff to process at the finish to close out (as MicQ correctly demonstrated). I hadn't noticed the cards I'd bought for myself though so noticing the opponents hand was clearly too much for me at that time.

Game 2: Oh yeah I made right mess of this. I was thinking about all the complexity when just reading the cards properly would have stopped me from getting their rules wrong. Moneylender of Jack to start? I'd still be tempted by moneylender.

Game 3: I'd just not taken the high late game trade route income into account and not given enough weight to the farming village draw. Should be engine. How many talisman's though?

Game 4: I thought this was the simplest to play but I'm probably on the way the out by turn 4 even if I buy a develop then.

So well played MicQ. Everything he did looked fine from my perspective and my play was certainly not up to standards (or expectations).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:19:46 pm by DG »

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 05:10:46 am »

And congrats to you for being 2nd after 3 promotions!

For sure you began in division D because you didnt play a lot, but what a performance!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 11:52:50 am »
+1

Finally got the videos up for this. Sorry it took me so long to get to it.

Entire Champion Match: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video (part 1)     YouTube Video (part 2)

Game 1: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Assemble_me): Moat, Ambassador, Sage, Shanty Town, Monument, Procession, Talisman, Apprentice, Torturer, Trading Post; Colonies/Estates

Game 2: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by JW): Hermit, JackOfAllTrades, Bridge, Gardens, Moneylender, Procession, Journeyman, Hunting Grounds, Goons, Nobles; Provinces/Estates

Game 3: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Titandrake): Vineyard, Duchess, Oracle, Trade Route, Farming Village, Talisman, Treasure Map, Embassy, Harem, Hoard; Provinces/Estates

Game 4: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Elestan): Advisor, Bishop, Bridge, Herald, Procession, Young Witch (Develop bane), Band of Misfits, Count, Graverobber, Prince; Colonies/Shelters

At this point the champion was decided and DG wanted to bow out, so MQ and Stef played the last two games:

Game 5: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Silverspawn): Pawn, Develop, Masquerade, Watchtower, Feodum, Quarry, Rats, Counterfeit, Fairgrounds, Goons; Provinces/Shelters

Game 6: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Silverspawn): Beggar, Secret Chamber, Great Hall, Oasis, Oracle, Watchtower, Golem, Outpost, Rabble, Prince; Provinces/Estates
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.