Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Evaluate your best and your worst board  (Read 29485 times)

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluate your best and your worst board
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »

Level 12 here ... and only 528 games of mine on Councilroom, so small sample, I  guess.

Best (with my % Gained):
$2 - Fool's Gold 90.6%
$3 - Wishing Well 34.4%
$3 - Chancellor 14.9%
$3P - Philosopher's Stone 16.2%
$4 - Baron 62.2%
$4 - Navigator 15.6%
$4P - Golem 44.8%
$5 - Contraband  20.7%
$5 - Counting House 27.8%
$6 - Farmland 44.8%

I find this ... interesting. A lot of these cards are up near the top of my list because I ignore them when players around my level are trying to make them work. Golem, in particular, seems to entice players at my level, and I seem to be good (again, for my level) at evaluating when it's too slow for the board.

Fool's Gold is sickening, and Baron gives the +buy to get more early. I'd probably open Fool's Gold/Baron ... though a couple other cards might help speed things up, too, like Wishing Well and maybe Navigator. Doesn't seem like too complicated a board, to me ...

Worst:
$2 - Courtyard 42.9%
$3 - Workshop 11.6%
$3 - Fortune Teller 12.5%
$4 - Young Witch 44.4%
$4 - Tournament 85.7%
$4 - Militia 81.5%
$5 - Torturer 50.0%
$6 - Grand Market 85.7%
$7 - Bank 86.5%
$7 - Expand 63.6%

Interesting note here about places 11, 12, and 13 on my list ... Goons, Minion, City. Looks like I have trouble with both engines and with attacks in general. Also, I suck at Tournament games. I don't know how to play this board, except possibly to try and get to the GMs first, likely opening Militia/Silver. What would stronger players do here?

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »

Marcus, what's the Bane on your Worst board?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »

Great Hall.

hightek

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »

This was an interesting enough topic to end my lurking. 

Best:
$6
Farmland, Border Village, Fairgrounds, Harem
$5
Minion
$4
Young Witch, Spice Merchant, Ironworks
$3
Menagerie, Tunnel
Bane card:
$3 Swindler

I seem to be good at the "Gold or _____" dilemma, judging by the number of $6 cards on this list.

Ironically, perhaps, I do not know what the dominant strategy on this board will be.  I think I would go for a Fairgrounds rush with Young Witch / Menagerie / Tunnel as the primary driver to get there, but if they loaded up on Swindlers, I could see major problems. As a counter, Ironworks -> Swindler / Tunnel seems alright, as long as you don't get the tunnels too early with nothing to trigger them.

Openings: Spice Merchant / Silver, Minion / -.

$0P
Transmute
$2
Courtyard
$2P
Apothecary, University
$3P
Familiar
$4
Scout, Horse Traders, Trader
$5
Market, Venture, Outpost

Oh god, this is even worse.  I seem to have no idea how to play alchemy, in general.

Familiars are going to be huge here, with no trashing and strong potion options.  Horse traders seems like the best $4 -- There's going to be no way to avoid the onslaught of curses.  I bet someone could use apothecary well here too, maybe? That card's use seems to escape me.

Openings: Potion  / Silver; Potion / Courtyard

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »

It's funny, I didn't even know Archivist was dead. I just figured I didn't know how to turn it on in the interface anymore, and I almost always auto-match so I wasn't going to try to force it to be in a game.

Like many people, my "worst" results came with lots of outliers, particularly from Hinterlands. So if I require at least 50 games here's the new results I get:

$5  Laboratory
$4  Bridge, Conspirator, Caravan, (Potion)
$3P  Philosopher's Stone
$3  Loan, Great Hall
$2P  Apothecary
$2  Chapel, Pearl Diver

The funny thing is that while I may be sub-par at working Chapel or Laboratory into my strategy, I'm pretty sure I know what to do with them together. And so does my opponent.

The plan is start with a Chapel and a Caravan (or a Chapel/Lab for the win with 5/2), get a couple of Silvers, then spend $2 on Pearl Diver, $3 on Great Hall, $4 on another Caravan if it's still early or Conspirator otherwise, and $5 on Laboratory. Probably skip golds because my money should come from Conspirators.

And the Potion-costing cards on this board are astoundingly unsuitable given the rest of the cards.

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:21 pm »

Great Hall.

Good point, I missed that. Thanks, TINAS.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:52 pm »

Here is my best:
8$: Peddler
6$ Farmland
5$: Haggler, Explorer, Royal Seal, Mandarin
4$: Silk Road, Walled Village, Envoy
2$: Duchess

Archivist is actually in my top 10, number 2 in fact, but I have only played 4 games with it so I didn't include it.

I think what this shows is that I know to avoid these cards and not buy them. Because I don't like any of these with the exception of Silk Roads under appropriate circumstances and Haggler when there are no +Buys.

If I played this board the only card I would mostly likely only go for Envoy and go Envoy, Big Money.

My worst board:

6$: Boarder Village
5$: Venture, Rabble
4$: Trader, Bridge, Treasure Map
3P$: Philosopher's Stone, Alchemist
3$: Swindler
2$: Fool's Gold

A couple of cards on here surprised me, mostly Boarder Village, Swindler and Bridge. I feel like I know how to play these cards pretty well. I am thinking I buy Boarder Village too much over Gold and that hurts me. Swindler I don't know what my problem is and Bridge--perhaps I have bought too many without enough actions so they terminally clashed. The others... I rarely buy Rabble and I will almost always veto Alchemist or Philosopher's Stone because I am horrible at playing them. I am not sure how I would play this board, my first instinct is to go for potions and do philospher's stone, alchemist. Another option would be Treasure Map, but again I wouldn't feel too safe with that.  Any thoughts?

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:28 am »

Border Village/Rabble looks quite strong there, even with venture present. I would probably go border Vilalge/Rabble engine by starting Swindler/Silver and working up to $6.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »

Worst:
$2 - Courtyard 42.9%
$3 - Workshop 11.6%
$3 - Fortune Teller 12.5%
$4 - Young Witch 44.4%
$4 - Tournament 85.7%
$4 - Militia 81.5%
$5 - Torturer 50.0%
$6 - Grand Market 85.7%
$7 - Bank 86.5%
$7 - Expand 63.6%

Interesting note here about places 11, 12, and 13 on my list ... Goons, Minion, City. Looks like I have trouble with both engines and with attacks in general. Also, I suck at Tournament games. I don't know how to play this board, except possibly to try and get to the GMs first, likely opening Militia/Silver. What would stronger players do here?

I'd probably open Young Witch/Silver, then pick up a second Young Witch along the way, throw in a couple of Tournaments, and build a Big Money-ish deck with followers and Trusty Steed thrown in.  Grand Market isn't great on this board, because there's no +card/+action or trashing to set up chains of them.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:20 pm »

I'd probably open Young Witch/Silver, then pick up a second Young Witch along the way, throw in a couple of Tournaments, and build a Big Money-ish deck with followers and Trusty Steed thrown in.
Well sure, if you can just decide that you'll get two prizes, you'll probably win. Although I'm not sold as to the effectiveness of Followers here...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2011, 09:17:33 pm »

All right: My worst:
Trader
Oasis
Highway
Inn
Scheme
Ill Gotten Gains
Crossroads
Noble Brigand
Haggler
Smithy

I'd totally want to do some Haggler + Highway here, but given that I suck so bad at all these cards, perhaps Smithy Big Money is the way to go, possibly shifting to push IGG if the opponent goes that way.

The best:
Oracle (?!?!?!?!)
Hunting Party
Silk Road
Horse Traders
Farmland
Harvest
Quarry
Village
Smugglers
Walled Village

I wish this was a more interesting board.  Open horse traders + silver -> hunting party, getting 1 gold, then nothing but hunting parties, provinces, and silvers!  Duchies later than usual, double buy hunting parties if possible @ 10.  I suspect that the good win rate with oracle is based on ignoring it while my opponents play with the new shiny.

I'm shocked that my % buy of hunting parties is ONLY 94%... what was I thinking the other 6%?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 12:43:34 am »

All right: My worst:
Trader
Oasis
Highway
Inn
Scheme
Ill Gotten Gains
Crossroads
Noble Brigand
Haggler
Smithy

I'd totally want to do some Haggler + Highway here, but given that I suck so bad at all these cards, perhaps Smithy Big Money is the way to go, possibly shifting to push IGG if the opponent goes that way.

I feel like going Traders + IGG would be strong on this board, as Traders can help block some of the cursing the opponents do, and trashing an IGG for 5 Silvers feels fairly strong. Traders are also really good for Duchy rushing, although I'm sure you can pick up a couple Provinces with a deck full of Silver.

I don't know whether picking up a Haggler is good here though: I feel like Haggler + Highway is a Nombo because there are no buys, and you can't pick up anything extra if you buy from a $0 pile. Highway also doesn't let you pick up anything you couldn't already have picked up from Haggler. I'm also unsure about Smithy Big Money because of the presence of Noble Brigand.

Traders + IGG is also probably weak to Noble Brigand, but probably your deck is so full of silver that losing a couple won't hurt too much compared to the cursing attack.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:11 am »

I don't know whether picking up a Haggler is good here though: I feel like Haggler + Highway is a Nombo because there are no buys, and you can't pick up anything extra if you buy from a $0 pile.
Don't play all your Highways? As long as the card you're buying is still $1 or $2...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2011, 04:11:30 pm »

I don't know whether picking up a Haggler is good here though: I feel like Haggler + Highway is a Nombo because there are no buys, and you can't pick up anything extra if you buy from a $0 pile.
Don't play all your Highways? As long as the card you're buying is still $1 or $2...

He's semi correct, in that if you play ALL of your highways, then your haggler doesn't work.  However, in reality you are dead on.... you aren't going to be playing 8 highways, and even if you play 6, then you can play haggler, buy Province -> Gain Gold. 

However, his point is more that without the +buys, highway isn't that awesome.  I wasn't looking at it as a great card, but rather a nice non-terminal that I could pick up for free with the haggler.  Haggler -> Buy Gold, Gain Highway...

Of course, these are my worst cards given avail... so clearly my analysis is weak on them.

I do like the trader / igg option above though... although you're probably never going to have more than 1 trader, so its protection against enemy IGG is less likely to be useful, especially once you bloat your deck with IGG coppers and silvers.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »

BEST

Ill-Gotten Gains (90.3%)
Mine (31.1%)
Upgrade (71.1%)
-
Conspirator (72.9%)
Noble Brigand (57.7%)
Spice Merchant (78.1%)
-
Alchemist (91.1%)
-
Develop (61.1%)
Shanty Town (76.1%)
-
Native Village (74.4%)

I'd most likely go for an IGG-rush, aided by Spice Merchant, Upgrade, and maybe even Develop and Conspirator. As much as I love Alchemist/Conspirator, I would think it would be too slow against IGG-rush, so I'd probably avoid the Potion entirely. No real big drawing cards here, so Native Village and Shanty Town would only help if I had Conspirators to activate. Mine and Noble Brigand seem pointless here.

WORST

Border Village (93.5%)
-
Embassy (58.1%)
Governor (80.8%)
Mandarin (43.8%)
-
Jack of All Trades (84.0%)
Silk Road (41.9%)
-
Workshop (14.4%)
-
Crossroads (90.9%)
Duchess (46.2%)
Fool's Gold (63.9%)

I suppose I could try a DoubleJack strategy here, though I haven't been all that successful with it yet. Knowing me, I'd get a Governor to help in... some way. Maybe trash a Copper for a Crossroads, or trash a Jack to get a Border Village and... a Jack. Yeah, I suck with these cards.

(Note: There are a lot of Hinterlands cards here, so this might change as I play more with those cards.)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 06:20:37 am »

Mine and Noble Brigand seem pointless here.

Mine IGG -> IGG or later into Gold is not a particularly bad move. If you only do it once you may as well have just bought another IGG, but more than once and it's a net profit.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »

Just for fun, I thought I'd see how this would work for isotropic as a whole.

Overall Winrate with(for isotropic as a whole):

Best(ignoring Prizes, colonies on the board):
$6 Grand Market
$5 Mountebank, Witch, Ill-Gotten Gains, Hunting Party, Venture(?!), Ghost Ship, Wharf
$3P Familar
$3 Masquerade

What a nice, friendly board. I think I'd open Silver/Masquerade, and grab a mountebank early. After that it gets a little trickier. I'm pretty sure you want a second masquerade at some point, but do you want Wharf? Do you want a second Mountebank/Witch? Do you take HP over Gold(I suspect no, but I'm not sure)? I'm really not sure.

I'd take HP over Gold on this board every day and twice on Sundays.  I mean, with my first $6 hand I'd need to get a single Gold, and Grand Markets would be nice if they're ever affordable, but Hunting Party spam with Mountebank as the linchpin terminal seems like the winning strategy here.  (Masq/Silver is still the opening of choice, though.)

Worst:
$5 Counting House, Saboteur
$4 Thief, Coppersmith, Bureaucrat, Pirate Ship, Talisman
$3 Workshop, Chancellor
$0P Transmute

Seems like a good Pirate Ship board; grab a couple quickly, and try to build up to provinces. Not really a whole lot else to say.

If this is a 2p game I'd almost certainly go Single (maybe double, but probably not) Bureaucrat Big Money.  I'd consider the Ships in multiplayer, though.

Overall Winrate without(for isotropic as a whole):

Best:
Note: silver is in second here

$5 Saboteur, Highway
$4 Pirate Ship, Throne Room, Bridge, Talisman, Walled Village
$3 Black Market, Smugglers
$2P University

This actually seems like an interesting board; all it needs is a little card draw or trashing to be really strong(and you might be able to find it in the black market). I think I would try to go for some sort of Highway/TR/Bridge based deck, maybe mixing in Talisman, smugglers, and/or Walled Village. Saboteur might even  be worth getting to trash their provinces, although I think this board will be too much about one big turn.

This is indeed an interesting board, but the lack of draw and trash really constrains the viability of combo options and consigns most of these cards to being traps. This is definitely the sort of board where opening Black Market is probably your best option, and rolling the die on good BM buys is going to be necessary.  If the Black Market draws are bad enough then I suspect a primarily Big Money strategy might be faster than any combo on here.

Worst:
Colonies are present
$7 King's Court
$6 Goons, Grand Market, Nobles
$5 Mountebank, Witch, Hunting Party, Wharf
$4 Tournament
$3P Familiar

Um, Mountebank into Goons-Based deck? seems like a pretty straightforward concept, although building it might be tricky. Probably the person who wins is the first one to King's court a mountebank/witch/wharf.

Mountebank probably dilutes everyone's deck enough that mega-Goons is going to be real hard to pull off... except for that great chaff-thresher known as Hunting Party, which I suspect is stronger than Wharf here (especially since King's Courting it gives you extra actions too).  But yeah, this is absolutely a race to King's Courting your power cards.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2011, 04:34:50 pm »

Mine and Noble Brigand seem pointless here.

Mine IGG -> IGG or later into Gold is not a particularly bad move. If you only do it once you may as well have just bought another IGG, but more than once and it's a net profit.

You have a point. Also, I could Mine a Silver into an IGG if I wanted. Still, with Upgrade on this board, I could always just Upgrade IGG's into Golds. I'd lose the ability to use the Gold right away, but whatever. The point is, I would rather have a tighter, smaller deck, and against Spice Merchant, Upgrade, and even Develop, Mine is just not as effective towards that goal.

---

Additionally, I'm going to now make and analyze boards based on my best and worst Win Rate With cards:

BEST

Cache
Horn of Plenty
Ill-Gotten Gains
-
Bureaucrat
Conspirator
Silk Road
Spice Merchant
-
Develop
Swindler
Woodcutter

Interestingly, Silk Road is on my WRW best list, but on my WRGA worst list. That should tell you just how badly I do when I avoid SR.

Anyway, my plan here for a 3/4 opening is to start Develop/Spice Merchant. If I get SM before Dev, I'll gladly SM away some Copper, but the initial plan is to Dev SM for an IGG and another Dev, then Dev the IGG into a Gold and an SM. Once IGG is gone, I'll Dev 4's into Silver and Cache, ensuring a minimum of $5 for my next hand in the hopes of a little Province action. Endgame will probably focus more on procuring Silk Roads, Duchies, and Estates, either bought traditionally or through the use of Develop.

If I open 5/2, I'll start IGG'ing right away, then work on getting some SM's and Dev's. A pure IGG-rush could be foiled by Swindler, so that's why I'd augment my IGG deck with SM and Dev.

WORST

Duke
Embassy
Haggler
Jester
Saboteur
Stables
Stash
-
Thief
-
Duchess
Fool's Gold

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeergh. Is "resign" an option? I'd go for Big Money here, maybe grabbing a Jester and some Stables to tick off my opponent(s). In a larger game, Thief will be an option for sure. If I were to try a Duke deck, I'd take a Haggler so I can grab an extra Silver when I buy Duchy/Duke.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2011, 11:47:29 pm »

My best board*:

$5: Ill-Gotten Gains, Embassy, Trading Post
$4: Trader, Monument, Silk Road, Moneylender, Gardens
$2: Crossroads, Moat

Note: Jack of All Trades is one of my top 10 cards, but to avoid the easy DoubleJack strategy, I replaced it with my 11th best card (Gardens).

Hmm. Looks like it's time for a Gardens deck, with Trader and Ill-Gotten Gains as the support crew.

My worst board:

$6: Border Village
$5: Highway, Minion
$4: Spice Merchant, Walled Village, Feast
$3: Develop, Tunnel
$2: Duchess, Hamlet

Okay. This worries me. My worst board contains my two most popular purchases: Tunnel (100%) and Border Village (96%). Maybe I shouldn't buy them so often?

Anyway, this one seems to be obvious. Get $2, buy Hamlet. Get $3, buy Tunnel. Get $4, buy Feast, and turn it into a Minion later. Get $5, buy Minion. Get $6, buy Border Village, gain Minion.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »

We should get the finalist's in the tournament to play their boards based on this thread (or the other one, but I think this one has more variability). What better way to challenge the top players then to get them to play to their strengths, their opponent's strengths, their weaknesses and their opponent's weaknesses.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 07:06:48 pm »

Ooh, cool topic, didn't notice it until now.  Level 28 today:

Best
Code: [Select]
$7 - King's Court (63.5%)
$6 - Goons (69%)
$5 - Governor (81%), Upgrade (74%), Saboteur (69%)
$4 - Remodel (66%)
$3 - Steward (63.5%)
$2 - Embargo (64%), Pawn (63.5%), Hamlet (63.5%)

Colony/Platinum available.

Huh.  I guess I'd open Governor/Hamlet on 5/2 and gain a couple golds, then buy my way into some kind of Goons engine, using Upgrades for trashing, buying lots of Hamlets for +actions, and more Governors for +Cards, then eventually try to get some big KC/Goons turns going.  On 4/3, maybe open Remodel/Silver, Remodel Estates into more Silvers and Coppers into Hamlets, and buy a Goons as soon as possible, then transition into that same engine.  Not really a board I see a particularly obvious play on, though.

Interestingly, quite a few of these are cards where my Effect Without is much higher than my Effect With (Governor, currently my best card with 16 games, gives me a Win Rate Without of 2.00...apparently, every time I've decided not to buy Governor so far, I've won).  Colony and Platinum also have much higher Effect Without for me...I guess I'm good at figuring out when to rush Provinces on a Colony board?

As for what it says about me...I'm good with some engines and attacks, and also at not buying certain terrible cards?  Don't see much of any kind of pattern there.

Worst (ignoring Archivist, which I've never played)
Code: [Select]
$7 - Expand (44%)
$6 - Nobles (45.5%)
$5 - Counting House (42%), Mandarin (42.5%), Torturer (44.5%), Inn (46%)
$4p - Golem (42%)
$4 - Noble Brigand (39%), Sea Hag (44.5%)
$3 - Fortune Teller (42%)

Open Sea Hag/Silver or Torturer/nothing, transition into Inn/Torturer engine with some Silvers and Golds.  Buy Nobles instead of Golds late game (after the fourth Province gets bought, maybe?).  Not confident I'd win.

From my Council Room stats, looks like there are some cards (Counting House, Mandarin, Fortune Teller) that I just have no idea how to play, so I never buy them, resulting in terrible Effect Without (since on the rare occasions when I should buy them, I don't).  And then there's some cards I just suck with.

Cool beans.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:33 am »

Hooray, Council Room is back and I can obsess over what cards I'm good at playing again!

My Best Board:

$6 - Harem (66.0%)
$5 - Tribute (17.9%)
$4 - Sea Hag (75.9%), Horse Traders (63.2%), Spy (20.6%), Talisman (14.8%)
$3 - Oracle (15.5%)
$2 - Duchess (49.1%)
$P - Transmute (6.6%), Vineyard (22.9%)

Hm, I feel like there must be something wrong with the numbers; it says the public acquires Talisman 41.2% of games? That's crazy. Anyways, this isn't the most exciting board. I would open Sea Hag/Silver, get a couple Horse Traderses, and then start hammering on the Duchies. I think 3-piling on three of Duchy/Duchess/Curse/Estate will happen before someone going for Provinces will make enough points to matter, and I can't imagine this is much of a board for Vineyard.

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:18 pm »

Worst Board
Cards I don't often use and perhaps this means I should? Embargo, Harvest
Cards I actively dislike: Familiar, IGG, Baron
Cards I am admittedly just bad at using: Inn, Golem, Inn, Stables, Inn, Vineyard, Herbalist, seriously what is Inn for?

Best Board
Cards I'm not counting because my strategy with them is "don't use": Noble Brigand, Saboteur, Oracle (#1, #2, #11)

$5 Wharf
$4 Conspirator, Bishop, Militia, Salvager
$3 Woodcutter, Worshop, Wishing Well, Tunnel
$2 Cellar

Came as quite a surprise to me as most of these I wouldn't consider "my specialty" in any regard, especially not conspirator, my new #1. Woodcutter and Salvager both give me a higher winrate without than with, so I guess I'm just above average in ignoring them when need be?

There's no village here so I think just straight Wharf-BM would be the best bet.

The "win rate with" and "effect" columns seem more interesting to me than availability overall. Apparently I don't always use Cache or Apothecary, but when I do, I play 20 stdevs above average. Small sample size I guess? Seems to be an issue for "Win rate with" also, so maybe that's the upside of availability.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:21:53 pm by RichardNixon »
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 12:39:25 pm »

Hilarious, despite my 700+ games played, I have 0 buys of IGG.  I pretty much always play veto mode, and I veto it every time.

Best:
Ambassador
Woodcutter
Swindler
Mining Village
Torturer
King's Court
Nobles
Farmland
Witch
Jack of All Trades

So, this is an absolutely brutal set of cards, with some major potential for getting torturer pinned or ambassador slogged. And lots of combos/counters that don't play well together. ambassador makes torturer fairly weak. The heavy cursing/ambassador slog makes KC engine decks nearly impossible to pull off. I'm surprised ambassador is on the list, because I hate playing with it, it's an auto-veto for me unless IGG is is the game.  However in this set I'd have to open amb/amb. Try to avoid silvers and pray for an early MV and witch. But a lot of my play will have to depend on my opponent. If he goes for Jack, I'll have to slog him HARD with coppers (If I pick up a king's court this is very doable) to overcome my poor early game economy.  But no matter what I do a lot of this game will come down to shuffle luck. But I feel like if one player wins an ambassador war, Kings court nobles/woodcutter can overcome early game greening by a double jack deck that expected to be immune to curses.

Worst:
Trader
Library
Sea Hag
Chapel
Tribute
Jester
Mountebank
Possession
Golem
Loan

Boring game.  Full of cards I often veto.  Open trader chapel, maybe add a mountebank, depending on how the early game trashes go for me and my opponent. I don't like ignoring sea hag, but with both players starting 1 or 2 trashers, I don't see it being very effective.  Libray, trib, jester, and possession are all rendered pretty ineffective by Mountebank. And for golem to work I feel like you'd have to ignore trader. But I suppose you could chapel it.  But I think getting to golem,chapel, mountebank, mountebank would be too slow. and give your opponent too many silvers if he decides to trader up.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:21 pm »

Hooray, Council Room is back and I can obsess over what cards I'm good at playing again!

My Best Board:

$6 - Harem (66.0%)
$5 - Tribute (17.9%)
$4 - Sea Hag (75.9%), Horse Traders (63.2%), Spy (20.6%), Talisman (14.8%)
$3 - Oracle (15.5%)
$2 - Duchess (49.1%)
$P - Transmute (6.6%), Vineyard (22.9%)

Hm, I feel like there must be something wrong with the numbers; it says the public acquires Talisman 41.2% of games? That's crazy. Anyways, this isn't the most exciting board. I would open Sea Hag/Silver, get a couple Horse Traderses, and then start hammering on the Duchies. I think 3-piling on three of Duchy/Duchess/Curse/Estate will happen before someone going for Provinces will make enough points to matter, and I can't imagine this is much of a board for Vineyard.
Always Vineyard.  HT and Talisman is plenty.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.