Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does Fools Gold + Tactician just suck?  (Read 5780 times)

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Does Fools Gold + Tactician just suck?
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:48:28 am »
+1

Hello,

I want to learn what is a correct strategy on this board (not excluding that there is some room for adaption depending on my opponent purchases).
The game included Colonies

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Pearl Diver, Stonemason, Loan, Procession, Bazaar, Council Room, Haggler, Tactician, Nobles
On 5/2 I thought about opening with Tactician/ Fools Gold
On 4/3 I was first thinking about Loan/Fools Gold, because Fools Gold likes trashing (sometimes^^ not from Chapel I learned in the wiki), but Loan may hit Fools Gold
and does not help me to buy $5 cards. So on 4/3 I go either Fools Gold/Silver or Fools Gold/Fools Gold. I went for Silver/Fools Gold.
My opponent by the way went Silver/Loan. Maybe this is stronger? Someone knows that?

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141130/log.51279b11e4b03ef870c8e38e.1417341540350.txt

This is the log.

On turn 4 my opponent buys Stonemason gaining 2 Pearl Divers. In my opinion this is not good. Wouldnt it be just better to get Fools Gold or Silver instead here?

On turn 4 I buy the Tactician. Should I buy here a Haggler instead?

What was the correct buy on turn 7 for me? Was Bazaar better than Nobles here or vice versa? When would you start to buy Nobles?

On turn 12 I have the following Hand: Tactician Haggler 3x Fool Gold
Can Tactician compensate haggler +3x Fool Gold? If you choose Haggler 3x Fools Gold you buy and gain here?

Turn 13: Should I buy Silver here or nothing? How many Silvers one should posses here at most (before they become a burden) when going for a Tactician and later Nobles/Bazaar mix?

I learned that I have no clue about when to buy Platin. My trust in treasures was shaken, since I found out how little treasure  most engines need to run. Do you have some basic rules (of course there are exceptions) when to buy Platin?

I lost terribly. If you find more noticeable things in the log, please tell me. Dominion is wonderful :))

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Does Fools Gold + Tactician just suck?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:36:22 am »
+2

Tactician fools gold shouldn't even be considered when council room is there, in my opinion.  That said, I would go engine here.  A few Hagglers, single Tact, nobles and bazaars.  Would have to be mindful not to overpay for mason when haggling.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:18 am »
+1

On 4/3 I was first thinking about Loan/Fools Gold, because Fools Gold likes trashing (sometimes^^ not from Chapel I learned in the wiki), but Loan may hit Fools Gold
and does not help me to buy $5 cards. So on 4/3 I go either Fools Gold/Silver or Fools Gold/Fools Gold. I went for Silver/Fools Gold.
My opponent by the way went Silver/Loan. Maybe this is stronger? Someone knows that?
I'll leave this until the end.

On turn 4 my opponent buys Stonemason gaining 2 Pearl Divers. In my opinion this is not good. Wouldnt it be just better to get Fools Gold or Silver instead here?
I guess it gets them a weak trasher and some cantrips that might stay out of the way, but it still looks very weak.

What was the correct buy on turn 7 for me? Was Bazaar better than Nobles here or vice versa? When would you start to buy Nobles?
You can have both!  Buy the Nobles and Haggle for the Bazaar.

On turn 12 I have the following Hand: Tactician Haggler 3x Fool Gold
Can Tactician compensate haggler +3x Fool Gold? If you choose Haggler 3x Fools Gold you buy and gain here?
I'd take the Nobles and Bazaar.  EDIT: Or Platinum/Nobles.  Or Colony/something.  Anyway, I'd be spending that hand.

Turn 13: Should I buy Silver here or nothing? How many Silvers one should posses here at most (before they become a burden) when going for a Tactician and later Nobles/Bazaar mix?
Seven FGs and a Platinum is probably enough treasure-wise.

On turn 4 I buy the Tactician. Should I buy here a Haggler instead?

This game is hard both because all of the cards you really want cost at least $5 and because Haggler is confusing.  It gains you really good cards, but do you want that or some draw first?  Haggler -> Nobles/Bazaar is great, but Haggler -> $5/something less is sad.  I have no good sense of what the right buy order is here, or what to open.  On 5/2 I would take Council Room/Fool's Gold.  On 4/3 I would probably take Loan/Silver and not be happy about it.

I don't like Tactician very much at all, as the draw is so good and treasure will probably be a large part of your payload.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:58:21 am by qmech »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »
+2

I'm not sure I would go FG here, but if you do, I'm pretty sure you don't want silver at all. FG/FG is better than FG/S
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »
+1

This kingdom might be very complicated or very simple, depending upon how you look at it. I'm guessing that the simple view is to get a haggler into play with a big income to buy big cards and gain big cards, like platinum. A tactician will set up that big haggler turn or you can build a fancy engine. Maybe you can get away some combination of the two. You could use fool's gold to get the platinum but putting other treasures with the haggler is probably simpler.

The complex view is how to build the engine, with the components all at cost 5 or higher, while trashing down with a loan or stonemason, while competing for fool's gold. Maybe it just doesn't add up. Maybe it is simpler to get the big income and then decide how to use it with hagglers and stonemasons.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:28:03 pm »
+1

In general I don't like Tactician when you can build some real draw engine. The real draw engine can get you a large hand nearly every turn, whereas Tactician can do it at most every other turn.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »
+2

Are you sure CR-FG BM doesn't win? I was really disappointed recently when my festival-watchtower engine fell short against it. That was a colony game too.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:00:03 am »
+1

I don't know if love's 12th turn was the right decision:

love   plays Tactician
    love   discards: Fool's Gold, Haggler, Fool's Gold, Fool's Gold

love happens to get a Colony with the following Tactician's turn but at the expense of turning down a Platinum/Province + Gold/$5 action card in the current turn.

Edit: overlooked that a Haggler nets you too. love forfeited getting a Colony + Platinum playing the Tactician.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:05:34 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:13 am »
+3

I don't know if love's 12th turn was the right decision:

love   plays Tactician
    love   discards: Fool's Gold, Haggler, Fool's Gold, Fool's Gold

love happens to get a Colony with the following Tactician's turn but at the expense of turning down a Platinum/Province + Gold/$5 action card in the current turn.

No, that's a colony/platinum hand!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3226
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:24 am »
+1

yeah, it sucks not to play tactician, but sometimes you just have to resist and keep it. That is certainly such a case. playing it there is crazy.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:49 pm »
+2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to look at that hand 5 times to see exactly how good it was.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 01:12:02 pm »
+1

I think Council Room-FG is dominant here, at least for a 5/2 opening as player 1.  You can buy Stonemason-CR-CR on 7$ which might be nice.  Without Estate trashing it seems like the engine player's response to Councilroom FG is pretty slow.

With a 3/4 opening Fool's Gold is far less attractive as a strategy.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:25 am »
+1

I think Council Room-FG is dominant here, at least for a 5/2 opening as player 1.  You can buy Stonemason-CR-CR on 7$ which might be nice.  Without Estate trashing it seems like the engine player's response to Councilroom FG is pretty slow.

With a 3/4 opening Fool's Gold is far less attractive as a strategy.

Sorry, but FG/CR is too slow on a Colony board with so many awesome engine components. You want to build an engine and consider splashing FGs at some point, but that's it. With Stonemason, the game is likely to end on piles.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 08:31:07 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fool's is not so good in Colony games.  This is an awesome engine board, with tons of villages+draws+economy, plus Haggler and Stonemason can help you get there faster too.  Then again, they say uncontested Fool's Gold is devastating, so if your opponent goes Fool's you might have to.  So yeah, not sure what I'd open with, but I'd aim for engine.  Heck, just try out the deck with a friend a couple of times and see what happens!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:14 am »

FG in Colony games is usually used to get Platinums, not Colonies.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »
+2

I don't think FG+Tactician is much good by itself, but I recall a game I played against AI, in which he used FG+Tactician to power up his Gardens with a couple of giant Masterpieces:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140604/log.5101a6c4e4b02b7235c3860f.1401867146489.txt#1-8
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.836 seconds with 22 queries.