Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145562 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:46 pm »

I feel completely opposite from a few posts I've seen here about Kylo Ren. For the beginning, I thought he was amazing. A perfect Vader replacement. Intimidating, evil, uncaring. This is what made Darth Vader such a great villain. And his voice... perfect. At least as good as Vader's. Vader had good character development eventually, but not in Episode IV.  In Episode IV he was simply an evil villain, and a great one. Ren started out the same. And then he took his helmet off and started whining about how being evil is hard and sometimes he wants to go back to being good. Man can you imagine if Vader had done that in Episode IV?

When Vader killed Obi Wan, he didn't hesitate. He didn't care that it was his former friend and mentor. He saw an opening and took it. Sure, father-son is a closer relationship, but even so I think it would have been much better if Ren had just killed Han without second thought. Not doing so while crying about it and second guessing himself. Basically, I felt like Ren suddenly went from being Vader from Episode IV to being Anakin from the prequels.

So as a whole I liked the movie a lot, but I thought Ren (after the beginning) was the worst part of it.

Unless I'm forgetting a scene, the whole "evil is hard and I kinda want to be good again" thing is a ruse to get his dad in a vulnerable position, thus removing a significant obstacle.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »

I feel completely opposite from a few posts I've seen here about Kylo Ren. For the beginning, I thought he was amazing. A perfect Vader replacement. Intimidating, evil, uncaring. This is what made Darth Vader such a great villain. And his voice... perfect. At least as good as Vader's. Vader had good character development eventually, but not in Episode IV.  In Episode IV he was simply an evil villain, and a great one. Ren started out the same. And then he took his helmet off and started whining about how being evil is hard and sometimes he wants to go back to being good. Man can you imagine if Vader had done that in Episode IV?

When Vader killed Obi Wan, he didn't hesitate. He didn't care that it was his former friend and mentor. He saw an opening and took it. Sure, father-son is a closer relationship, but even so I think it would have been much better if Ren had just killed Han without second thought. Not doing so while crying about it and second guessing himself. Basically, I felt like Ren suddenly went from being Vader from Episode IV to being Anakin from the prequels.

So as a whole I liked the movie a lot, but I thought Ren (after the beginning) was the worst part of it.

Unless I'm forgetting a scene, the whole "evil is hard and I kinda want to be good again" thing is a ruse to get his dad in a vulnerable position, thus removing a significant obstacle.

No, he says the same thing in another scene, when he's talking to his grandfather. And a mention of it when talking to his boss.

But the more I read about it, the more I think that when I see it again, I'll feel differently. Sometimes things seem bad because they're not what you expect. His character started out as a pure bad-ass, and so that's what I was expecting and enjoying. Now that I know what his character is and is meant to be, I very well may not have a problem with it when I see it again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2016, 03:27:49 pm »
+2

@GendoIkari : I had the same reaction. I had those same problems the first time, ie the conflicted, adolescent Kylo Ren is more interesting but inconsisent with the earlier, badass Kylo Ren. Saw it again, and it worked, didn't feel as disconnected.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »

Man, I was just trying to differentiate between "movie I like" and "movie that's well-made".

I should have known better.

As long as Avatar is off both lists, it's fine.

I actually enjoy Avatar, and think it's a well-made film as well.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:11 pm »
+3

I really enjoyed the internal conflict they showed. You could tell her was really TRYING to be powerful and intimidating, but was still unsure of himself.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »

Man, I was just trying to differentiate between "movie I like" and "movie that's well-made".

I should have known better.

As long as Avatar is off both lists, it's fine.

I actually enjoy Avatar, and think it's a well-made film as well.

or ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:33:20 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 25, 2016, 06:20:04 pm »
+2

I said "Avatar", not "The Last Airbender".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2016, 01:19:45 pm »

I think, depending on what exactly you mean with well-made, you would get anywhere from a few to basically everyone to agree with that.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2016, 01:38:05 pm »
+1

When I went to see Avatar, I had a choice between seeing it in 3D but dubbed, or in 2D with subtitles.

I made the wrong choice.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:58 pm »
+5

I went to see Avatar.

I made the wrong choice.

Hindsight is 20/20.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2016, 02:05:00 pm »
+5

When I went to see Avatar, I had a choice between seeing it in 3D but dubbed, or in 2D with subtitles.

I made the wrong choice.

Of course you did; both of those choices are wrong.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:32 pm »

I made the wrong choice.

Of course you did; both of those choices are wrong.

Fair point.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2016, 02:17:24 pm »
+3

I went to see Avatar.

I made the wrong choice.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Hmm, I just noticed the subtle edit in WW's reply. Oh well, hivemind is 20/20.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »

I saw avatar twice in theaters. It was pretty enjoyable.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2016, 02:26:06 pm »

I haven't seen Avatar.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »
+1

I haven't seen Avatar.

It's kinda OK? I wouldn't spend money to see it again. I might spend a little money not to see it again, if it meant I could be doing something better with my time.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2016, 02:38:32 pm »
+1

I think it's pointless to watch it now. It's very much a movie that rides solely on its technical aspects, which get less and less impressive as time passes, and as such it's doomed to age very poorly. But that's no reason not to enjoy it as it came out.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2016, 02:47:48 pm »
+1

It was a very pretty movie. Beauty fades.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »
+4

I went to see Avatar.

I made the wrong choice.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I haven't replied at all.

Kappa

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2016, 04:16:33 pm »

I went to see Avatar.

I made the wrong choice.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Kappa
You always replied. You always will.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:19 pm »
+1

I went to see Avatar.

I made the wrong choice.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Kappa
You always replied. You always will.

I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but you are the replier. You've always been the replier. I should know sir. I've always been here.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:16 pm »

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:01 pm »

The real question is : has WanderingWinder seen Avatar ?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2016, 02:01:35 pm »

VII was the most fun I've had at a movie since Star Trek (2009)! So that's a pretty big accomplishment, and pretty much exactly the type of experience I was expecting -- Star Trek was clearly an audition to take a crack at Star Wars for Abrams.

Questions for those in the know:

I don't know anything about the extended universe, but I am interested in how the new movie stacks up. The internet is not kind to those of us who know nothing. For those familiar with it, did VII honor extended universe plot lines? If not, can you give me/point me to a quick run down of how the extended universe deals with post VI events? (What I am interested in: Does the empire survive with another leader? Does it become the first order, or is that a new invention? Do the "rebels" with the jedi ever win back control of the military forces or form a functioning legitimate government?)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:09 pm »
+2

VII was the most fun I've had at a movie since Star Trek (2009)! So that's a pretty big accomplishment, and pretty much exactly the type of experience I was expecting -- Star Trek was clearly an audition to take a crack at Star Wars for Abrams.

Questions for those in the know:

I don't know anything about the extended universe, but I am interested in how the new movie stacks up. The internet is not kind to those of us who know nothing. For those familiar with it, did VII honor extended universe plot lines? If not, can you give me/point me to a quick run down of how the extended universe deals with post VI events? (What I am interested in: Does the empire survive with another leader? Does it become the first order, or is that a new invention? Do the "rebels" with the jedi ever win back control of the military forces or form a functioning legitimate government?)

I know that the Expanded Universe (now Star Wars Legends, apparently) is no longer cannon with Episode VII.  There are influences/similarities with things that happened, but it is a separate branch.    Basically nothing in the EU can be assumed to have happened.

I don't have extensive knowledge of EU, though.  I'd start by reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.