Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145612 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2015, 10:34:48 am »

I feel completely opposite from a few posts I've seen here about Kylo Ren. For the beginning, I thought he was amazing. A perfect Vader replacement. Intimidating, evil, uncaring. This is what made Darth Vader such a great villain. And his voice... perfect. At least as good as Vader's. Vader had good character development eventually, but not in Episode IV.  In Episode IV he was simply an evil villain, and a great one. Ren started out the same. And then he took his helmet off and started whining about how being evil is hard and sometimes he wants to go back to being good. Man can you imagine if Vader had done that in Episode IV?

When Vader killed Obi Wan, he didn't hesitate. He didn't care that it was his former friend and mentor. He saw an opening and took it. Sure, father-son is a closer relationship, but even so I think it would have been much better if Ren had just killed Han without second thought. Not doing so while crying about it and second guessing himself. Basically, I felt like Ren suddenly went from being Vader from Episode IV to being Anakin from the prequels.

So as a whole I liked the movie a lot, but I thought Ren (after the beginning) was the worst part of it.

I feel like making a straight-up Vader replacement would have been a big mistake. The movie already plays pretty close to Episode IV Remaster, and having the villain play like Vader would have been too close. Also, Kylo being the way he is leaves a lot of room for Kylo-related plot that Vader-redux wouldn't. Also, I find the fact that he is actually just terrible at his job to be hilarious. Also, I fully condone senseless violence against inanimate objects.

The senseless violence against inanimate objects is something I can get behind. In fact, if they had had just that part without the helmet-off and whining parts, then I think that would have been a great way to make him not just a complete Vader clone. He'd be like Vader in all the scary/evil/powerful ways, but he'd have a big distinction as someone who cannot control his anger and temper, and still throws tantrums like someone who isn't as well trained.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2015, 10:35:55 am »

Same. ;-)

I am actually reading a lot of my thoughts being said by other people. That's a good thing for this movie. We could see $1 billion internationally by the end of 2015...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2015, 10:36:26 am »

I liked how he kept pounding the wound in his side to build up anger/courage/adrenaline.  It's something that, if a true killer did, would be terrifying.  The way he did it seemed very... fake, I guess.  Like something that someone who isn't an experienced fighter would do because they think that is what an experienced fighter would do. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »

Also, I find the fact that he is actually just terrible at his job to be hilarious. Also, I fully condone senseless violence against inanimate objects.

It's hilarious but also terrifying because who knows what someone is willing to do to try to prove himself. I hope they play that part up a little. He overextends himself in order to try to be badass.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »
+4

I quite liked Kylo's petulant rage, I thought it was a nice touch. He really did feel like a pawn in the whole thing.

I briefly started thinking about the physics of taking the energy of a star and putting it into some sort of doomsday device and then what would happen when that device blew up and would it just create a new star or would it cause a super nova. How did they plan on firing the weapon again after the star was drained? 7,000 Star Destroyers towing the planet sized weapon to another solar system? Then I remembered parsecs (as the movie did a nice job of reminding me) and that the Star Wars universe doesn't care about physics and left it at that.

Anyhow I thought it was great. Best Star Wars movie since Empire.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 24, 2015, 07:29:14 am »
+1

I watched the new Star Wars in 3D this week and found it kind of meh. Don't get me wrong, it's still Star Wars so I definitely enjoyed it and didn't want my money back, but the story was pretty bad and it hinged a lot on nostalgia. I mean, there's this random stormtrooper suddenly turned good and a random girl who turns out to be the next Jedi. She's already wearing Jedi clothes on Jakku so it wasn't a big surprise. And the first part was basically the Solo show until he died of course, which was totally unsurprising to me. Kylo Ren didn't impress me much, but maybe it was intentional to have a bad guy who's struggling with himself instead of the awe inspiring Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when the Death Star blew up Alderaan I was pretty shocked and when this Death Star thingy blew up the entire republic I didn't flinch much. The storytelling in the original trilogy is just much much better.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:54 am »
+1

I don't think the storytelling in the original trilogy was better, but I also found the movie pretty bad. The plot has a million coincidences and a lot of things don't make sense.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:12 pm »
+1

Well, coincidences are just fate. It's what the whole thing is. That's like saying "man, that Harry Potter guy, everything keeps happening to him, that's a lot of coincidences". That's just what the genre is.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2015, 11:21:13 pm »

Having neither seen the movie or any intention of ever watching it, I've got to chime in and say that lots and lots of unbelievable coincidences is great. That's one very solid way of delivering the "work of fiction" experience.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2015, 09:53:02 am »

Well, coincidences are just fate. It's what the whole thing is. That's like saying "man, that Harry Potter guy, everything keeps happening to him, that's a lot of coincidences". That's just what the genre is.

I don't buy that the force is a free ticket for plot contrivances. Attack of the clones was a good movie that got by with a plot that made sense despite having the force.

And Harry potter doesn't have a lot of these kinds of coincidences - at least not the books. There are a few, but nothing to the degree of this movie.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2015, 10:00:58 am »
+1

Attack of the clones was a good movie

:o :o ??? ???
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2015, 10:03:35 am »

Having neither seen the movie or any intention of ever watching it, I've got to chime in and say that lots and lots of unbelievable coincidences is great. That's one very solid way of delivering the "work of fiction" experience.

You should watch the movie, then.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2015, 10:38:08 am »

I don't buy that the force is a free ticket for plot contrivances. Attack of the clones was a good movie that got by with a plot that made sense despite having the force.

And Harry potter doesn't have a lot of these kinds of coincidences - at least not the books. There are a few, but nothing to the degree of this movie.

Well, Attack of the Clones is actually a perfect example for how overrated plot is. Attack of the Clones has a good plot, and not much else (well, Christopher Lee). TFA has a shakier plot, but is a much better movie overall.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2015, 10:52:22 am »

Well, Attack of the Clones is actually a perfect example for how overrated plot is. Attack of the Clones has a good plot, and not much else (well, Christopher Lee). TFA has a shakier plot, but is a much better movie overall.

Okay - why is TFA a better movie, then?

I also think AOTC has more interesting characters and themes.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2015, 11:09:24 am »

I never much cared for C3PO or R2, but I found BB8 to be ADORABLE.

Anyone know who the old guy that gives the map to Poe is supposed to be?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
+1

I never much cared for C3PO or R2, but I found BB8 to be ADORABLE.

Anyone know who the old guy that gives the map to Poe is supposed to be?

He is credited as Lor San Tekka.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2015, 12:01:54 pm »
+1

Um, what?  You're talking about the Harry Potter and the Deus Ex Machina series?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »

Um, what?  You're talking about the Harry Potter and the Deus Ex Machina series?

I'm talking about harry potter book 1 to 7. Are you arguing that it has poor plot construction?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2015, 12:20:46 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2015, 01:50:55 pm »

I'm talking about harry potter book 1 to 7. Are you arguing that it has poor plot construction?

No, I'm saying it makes blatant use of deus ex machina. 

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
+1

TFA has much, much better acting. It has stronger characters, partly as a result of that : yeah Rey isn't inherently that interesting, but she's charismatic. Anakin is theoretically a very interesting, but doesn't work in practice, especialy in AotC.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 25, 2015, 02:54:00 pm »
+1

I don't think it's the acting, really.  It's the writing (e.g., dialogue) and directing.  The actors in the prequels are not bad, but the production makes them appear so.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #298 on: December 25, 2015, 03:05:37 pm »

No.

Why not?  :(

Because it takes time and I'm pretty certain it's not going to be worth that time.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »

TFA has much, much better acting. It has stronger characters, partly as a result of that : yeah Rey isn't inherently that interesting, but she's charismatic. Anakin is theoretically a very interesting, but doesn't work in practice, especialy in AotC.

I'm a bit biased when it comes to acting, because I was unfortunate enough to see the new starwars movie in german, and I'm so used to seeing movies in their original language that almost every line in the dubbed version is usually cringe worthy, and this was no exception. I don't think the acting in AotC is particularly good, so you might be right.

I think Anakin works well. He's not likable the way the girl in the new movie is, but he's interesting, and his place in the story is interesting. I see him as a not very bright, arrogant, but also gifted guy, while everyone else is much smarter than him, and is also aware of his flaws (even his love interest), but they're all torn because of the prophecy and because he's skilled and they would like to trust him. And it really does feel like a serious problem that intelligent people try but fail to solve. I thought that was by itself a better conflict than anything in TFA.

Also, the attack on the death star in the new one is basically, here is this GIGANTIC WEAPON THAT CAN SWALLOW SUNS AND OBLITERATE ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEMS, and we will spontaneously launch an attack to destroy it in exactly the same way as we did the death star in episode IV... which we basically know will work, so the stakes are non-existent. At least episode IV made it feel like a big deal.

No.

Why not?  :(

Because it takes time and I'm pretty certain it's not going to be worth that time.

Honestly, if you really like coincidences, I think the movie is worth watching, because it is pretty, has likable albeit uninteresting characters, and good fight scenes.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.