Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145551 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2015, 01:14:08 am »

yeah, or discussion about why she isn't Luke's kid basically was along the lines of "that means Luke would have had a 'love-child' with someone" "Disney/star wars is not going to make that how it happened." I mean, forbidden love is a thing (anakin/padme) but a straight up random bastard daughter? Doesn't fit the whole star wars style I think. Plus making it a sister v brother battle makes sense to me as far as plot goes.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2015, 01:52:16 am »

The "hit here to blow up superweapon" trope didn't really annoy me, it makes ou wonder when the evil engineers will start building their planet-destroying weapons without a glaring weak point in them. At least it got a sort of explaination (the oscillation stabilizer blah blah blah). The chasm isn't even considered abnormal by the characters.
The war room scene was lovely, yes.
The fact that Rey can drive the Falcon so easily is also a hint that she's Han's daughter. The fact is, why doesn't he suspect that? Did Luke change his memory too?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2015, 05:02:46 am »
+1

Just thinking along those lines, maybe he does suspect, which is why he offered her a job. Abandoning someone causes all sorts of bad emotions, maybe unsure how she would respond and wanted to get to know her more first. I mean, still unconfirmed speculation

Also, what is a reasonable wait period before we quit using spoilers?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2015, 06:25:27 am »

I think that wait period must be over now. I didn't look at this thread at all between the release and I had seen SW:TFA and I think one can assume that others who care about spoilers do the same.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2015, 07:17:56 am »

I think we're meant to believe she's Luke's daughter, everything points to that. But she could be Han and Leia's, yeah. She's definitelythe daughter (or granddaughter) of someone we know, certainly.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:18 am »
+2

She's the daughter of Jar Jar
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2015, 08:42:31 am »

She's the daughter of Jar Jar

I'm leaning towards Akbar actually. Because you know what he'd call all that foreshadowing.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2015, 09:38:56 am »

I think that wait period must be over now. I didn't look at this thread at all between the release and I had seen SW:TFA and I think one can assume that others who care about spoilers do the same.

I love coming to this thread and looking at all the black lines

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:45 am »
+1

I'm more bothered by how a small explosion destroys a planet.
It's not so much a small explosion destroying a planet as a small explosion destroying the containment device that was holding the entire power of the local star WITHIN the planet.  Which seems a little more reasonable.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2015, 10:23:40 am »

I'm more bothered by how a small explosion destroys a planet.
It's not so much a small explosion destroying a planet as a small explosion destroying the containment device that was holding the entire power of the local star WITHIN the planet.  Which seems a little more reasonable.

Still, it's like, there's always one little spot that blows everything up, no matter how big it is. 

Also, how did everything manage to be within short walking distance even though the entire base was the size of a planet, or at least a large continent.  Where Kylo took Rey could have easily been hundreds of miles away (or, you know, five miles) from where the magic Achilles heel is.  I can understand Kylo being able to find Han once they're close (Force sensing and all that), but everything happening within a two-minute walk from everything else undermines the grand scale of how big this weapon is. 

I mean, if you had to track down a person and a special room at just a university campus, you'd spend a lot of time on just the legwork alone.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »

Can't decide how I feel about it.

R2DeusMachina was a huge eye roll.

Starkiller Base and the trench run was stupid. There were no stakes. If you're going to recycle do something interesting with it. God.

The pacing was the biggest problem. ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION movie over. Good action, sure. But why did we need the tentacle monster scene on the Falcon? We didn't. Let the characters talk!

But the new characters were all amazing.

And overall it felt like Star Wars and that's not nothing. So maybe I liked it?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »
+5

Yeah, I'm mostly happy with how flawed and vulnerable Kylo Ren was.  The armor and helmet he wears does an excellent job of making him seem intimidating, which is exactly why he wears it.  The reveal when he takes it off and you see he's only wearing it to be like granddad is great, and the vulnerability in his reaction when Rey realizes that he's afraid of not living up to Vader's legacy is really well done.  His entire intimidating persona is just entirely crushed by one line.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:39 pm »

Isn't this the case in literally every Star Wars movie ?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »

Force Ex Machina

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »

Force Ex Machina

I meant specifically R2D2 though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »
+1

Yay, I can finally read the spoilers here!

Anyway, I loved the movie.  I haven't seen any Star Wars movies in a long time (I have seen all six before this though), so I had no idea what to make of it.  Partway through, I was like "Hey, this is actually really good!"

Also, someone I know said that at the end of the movie he was expecting Luke, I am your daughter.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2015, 10:35:22 pm »

I feel completely opposite from a few posts I've seen here about Kylo Ren. For the beginning, I thought he was amazing. A perfect Vader replacement. Intimidating, evil, uncaring. This is what made Darth Vader such a great villain. And his voice... perfect. At least as good as Vader's. Vader had good character development eventually, but not in Episode IV.  In Episode IV he was simply an evil villain, and a great one. Ren started out the same. And then he took his helmet off and started whining about how being evil is hard and sometimes he wants to go back to being good. Man can you imagine if Vader had done that in Episode IV?

When Vader killed Obi Wan, he didn't hesitate. He didn't care that it was his former friend and mentor. He saw an opening and took it. Sure, father-son is a closer relationship, but even so I think it would have been much better if Ren had just killed Han without second thought. Not doing so while crying about it and second guessing himself. Basically, I felt like Ren suddenly went from being Vader from Episode IV to being Anakin from the prequels.

So as a whole I liked the movie a lot, but I thought Ren (after the beginning) was the worst part of it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2015, 10:42:26 pm »
+3

I feel completely opposite from a few posts I've seen here about Kylo Ren. For the beginning, I thought he was amazing. A perfect Vader replacement. Intimidating, evil, uncaring. This is what made Darth Vader such a great villain. And his voice... perfect. At least as good as Vader's. Vader had good character development eventually, but not in Episode IV.  In Episode IV he was simply an evil villain, and a great one. Ren started out the same. And then he took his helmet off and started whining about how being evil is hard and sometimes he wants to go back to being good. Man can you imagine if Vader had done that in Episode IV?

When Vader killed Obi Wan, he didn't hesitate. He didn't care that it was his former friend and mentor. He saw an opening and took it. Sure, father-son is a closer relationship, but even so I think it would have been much better if Ren had just killed Han without second thought. Not doing so while crying about it and second guessing himself. Basically, I felt like Ren suddenly went from being Vader from Episode IV to being Anakin from the prequels.

So as a whole I liked the movie a lot, but I thought Ren (after the beginning) was the worst part of it.

That's exactly the point.  He was trying to be Vader; that's why he had the image.  He could almost make everyone else believe it.  But he never was, so this facade was fragile and it quickly collapsed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »

That's exactly the point.  He was trying to be Vader; that's why he had the image.  He could almost make everyone else believe it.  But he never was, so this facade was fragile and it quickly collapsed.

Yeah, and I do get that. And as far as them showing that that's what was happening, they did a good job of it. I just think it would have made a much better character if he had actually been a new Vader, as opposed to someone who just wanted to be Vader.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2015, 10:46:12 pm »

Can someone tell me what line Han said immediately after "That's not how the force works"? He said that, then everyone was laughing and I couldn't hear the next line, which was something about "cold" and made people laugh even harder.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:03 pm »
+1

Can someone tell me what line Han said immediately after "That's not how the force works"? He said that, then everyone was laughing and I couldn't hear the next line, which was something about "cold" and made people laugh even harder.

Pretty sure Chewie says something and Han responds, increduously, "You're cold?!"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:27:14 pm by Witherweaver »

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2015, 05:52:26 am »

Pretty sure Chewie says something and Han responds, increduously, "You're cold?!"
Precisely so.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
+3

I feel like making a straight-up Vader replacement would have been a big mistake. The movie already plays pretty close to Episode IV Remaster, and having the villain play like Vader would have been too close. Also, Kylo being the way he is leaves a lot of room for Kylo-related plot that Vader-redux wouldn't. Also, I find the fact that he is actually just terrible at his job to be hilarious. Also, I fully condone senseless violence against inanimate objects.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 22, 2015, 09:55:55 am »

Re: being a remake of ANH: having seen it a second time, I think the movie really stands on its own starting with the lightsaber battle in the snow.  Up to then, it's certainly entertaining and enjoyable, but the plot does tread very closely to IV.  But once Kylo, Finn and Rey start duking it out, you're immediately invested - it's just such a great fight, particularly with the fist-pumping moment of Rey snatching the lightsaber.  It's also where the movie parts ways from IV, and it's certainly better for it.

That said, the characterizations of each of the characters - Finn (Han/Luke), Rey (Luke), Poe (Han/Leia), Kylo (Vader), BB-8 (R2-D2) - are different enough from their OT analogues that the movie still stands on its own terms.  However, Hux is pretty much just a blatant ripoff of Tarkin, though with a more North Korea ish edge, rather than Nazi ish.

And that's another thing - Death Star III feels different because previously, the Death Stars were ultimate weapons of the nation already in power.  Basically just icing on top of their authoritarian cake.  More symbol than anything else, though still effective militarily.  But Starkiller Base feels more like if North Korea gets a nuke and starts bombing other nations.  No one's expecting it - it makes the dynamic between the players different.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 22, 2015, 10:33:09 am »

Re: being a remake of ANH: having seen it a second time, I think the movie really stands on its own starting with the lightsaber battle in the snow.  Up to then, it's certainly entertaining and enjoyable, but the plot does tread very closely to IV.  But once Kylo, Finn and Rey start duking it out, you're immediately invested - it's just such a great fight, particularly with the fist-pumping moment of Rey snatching the lightsaber.  It's also where the movie parts ways from IV, and it's certainly better for it.

That said, the characterizations of each of the characters - Finn (Han/Luke), Rey (Luke), Poe (Han/Leia), Kylo (Vader), BB-8 (R2-D2) - are different enough from their OT analogues that the movie still stands on its own terms.  However, Hux is pretty much just a blatant ripoff of Tarkin, though with a more North Korea ish edge, rather than Nazi ish.

And that's another thing - Death Star III feels different because previously, the Death Stars were ultimate weapons of the nation already in power.  Basically just icing on top of their authoritarian cake.  More symbol than anything else, though still effective militarily.  But Starkiller Base feels more like if North Korea gets a nuke and starts bombing other nations.  No one's expecting it - it makes the dynamic between the players different.

Agreed with all this.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.