Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145668 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2015, 04:03:13 pm »
+3

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-new-star-wars-could-be-disaster/

Just sayin'

Really?  Two pages for five entries?  You go to hell, Cracked!  You go to hell and you die!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2015, 05:02:05 pm »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »

I sometimes wonder whether i'd hate episode VI if it came out today. I mean, the death star story is just a rip-off from episode IV, and what's with those teddy bears killing Storm Troopers Home-alone-style? When were those space-nazis replaced with Mr. Darkhood there, and how come R2D2 and C3PO can walk through the fire of battle without a scratch? I mean, i also prefer VI over the prequels, but i doubt the reason's anything but nostalgia.

Also, two burp jokes and a Tarzan joke.

I still enjoy Episode VI, but I acknowledge that it's just not that great of a movie.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2015, 06:14:16 pm »
+1

How viable is this plan?

http://www.dorkly.com/post/76692/star-wars-a-new-hope-could-have-been-handled-in-5-seconds

Not very, light sabers can't cut through everything immediately, plus they have handles that would probably catch on something. Think about when Luke and Vader fight in Empire Strikes back, their sabers are constantly bouncing off metal things (see this video around 5 minutes)

Plus look at Qui Gon cutting through the blast doors in Phantom Menace. This video around 2 minutes in here:

He can't cut through those blast doors particularly quickly.

If Obiwan had dropped his light saber it probably would have just gotten stuck in the floor and Vader would have picked it up after chopping Obiwan in two or if the floor was particularly flimsy he probably would have had some storm trooper pick it up a few floor down when it eventually hit something reasonably durable.

There's a more elaborate list of things that light sabers can't cut through if you look into the various Star Wars wikis too if you're curious, but I wanted to just use movie examples.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:15:52 pm by Jorbles »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
+1

Michio Kaku (physicist guy) once made a TV special on how you could make a realistic working lightsaber, and his plan involved a telescoping ceramic blade heated to unreasonable temperatures.  In that instance, it would certainly make sense for physical objects to resist, though still be melted by, a lightsaber.

However, if you're going by the crystals and contained plasma beam thing, it would start to get weird.  No matter how hot the lightsaber was, it wouldn't cut instantly through everything.  However, a plasma is a gas (sort of), even if contained by a magnetic field or whatever.  So if you tried to shove a lightsaber through something, the magnetic field would pass through the material, and the plasma would be compressed.  That would heat it up more, and it would start to melt through whatever you were cutting, but after a certain point, you'd no longer be able to push, as you no longer have the physical strength to compress the plasma further.

As for lightsaber combat, I'm pretty sure it's mostly down to the magnetic fields.  Blaster bolts are obviously not lasers, but bits of plasma, and so would interact with the lightsaber's magnetic field.  Dueling with a lightsaber, your magnetic fields would collide with each other.  And then vibroblades or whatever General Grievous' droid pikemen have are quite obviously electrically charged, and thus interacting magnetically as well.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:23 am »

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Poe flies an x-wing. Finn is a storm trooper. Kylo is not a Sith. BB-8 is carrying something. Rey is a scavenger. Leia and Han know each other. Luke is played by Mark Hamill. And lightsabers kill people.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55:56 am »

I watched the new movie yesterday, I enjoyed it a lot. The best one since the Empire stroke back.
Spoiler, generally referencing how the plot is structured: It has got essentially the same story arch as a new Hope (and Episode VI for that matter). It's obviously not a vile remake, and there are sure some unexpected plot twists, but I hope they'll stray a bit more from the trodden on the next two movies, plot-wise.
The feeling is much much more Original Trilogy-ish, but without the '80ish feeling. There were a couple of dei ex machina to carry the plot forward that could have been easily avoided and they bug me a fair bit. (That's S2R2 randomly waking up with all the answers we'd been looking for just as the story hits a dead end. Also, the way Han Solo enters the movie felt cheap storywise.)
Overall, infinitely better than I expected.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:04 am »
+1

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Poe flies an x-wing. Finn is a storm trooper. Kylo is not a Sith. BB-8 is carrying something. Rey is a scavenger. Leia and Han know each other. Luke is played by Mark Hamill. And lightsabers kill people.

Vader kills Dumbledore.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2015, 11:35:14 am »
+3

I watched the new movie yesterday, I enjoyed it a lot. The best one since the Empire stroke back.
Spoiler, generally referencing how the plot is structured: It has got essentially the same story arch as a new Hope (and Episode VI for that matter). It's obviously not a vile remake, and there are sure some unexpected plot twists, but I hope they'll stray a bit more from the trodden on the next two movies, plot-wise.
The feeling is much much more Original Trilogy-ish, but without the '80ish feeling. There were a couple of dei ex machina to carry the plot forward that could have been easily avoided and they bug me a fair bit. (That's S2R2 randomly waking up with all the answers we'd been looking for just as the story hits a dead end. Also, the way Han Solo enters the movie felt cheap storywise.)
My biggest issue was the small chasm ex machina between Rey and Kylo.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:36:28 am by enfynet »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2015, 11:55:01 am »

My biggest issue was the small chasm ex machina between Rey and Kylo.

Yeah, that one too! How could I forget to list it. Really annoying, and avoidable too. It's the kind of things that suddently puts your suspension of disbelief on high stress.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2015, 04:59:33 pm »

Wow, that's pretty much exactly what I DIDN'T want the movie to be. Hopefully I'll enjoy it anyway. *grumble grumble*

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2015, 10:09:33 pm »

I'm putting this in double spoilers because it's an ACTUAL spoiler, so don't scroll over if you don't want to be spoiled:

You've been warned!  Move your mouse away!

I felt that the way Rey's arc developed is the way Anakin should have been handled in the prequels.  The way she just instinctively picks up Force aptitude makes her far more likely to have been conceived by midi-chlorians or whatever.

Don't let your mouse go over the thing between these!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2015, 11:52:27 pm »

I'm putting this in double spoilers because it's an ACTUAL spoiler, so don't scroll over if you don't want to be spoiled:

You've been warned!  Move your mouse away!

I felt that the way Rey's arc developed is the way Anakin should have been handled in the prequels.  The way she just instinctively picks up Force aptitude makes her far more likely to have been conceived by midi-chlorians or whatever.

Don't let your mouse go over the thing between these!

I agree with your spoiler, wero. I wasn't thinking about that while watching it, but you're absolutely right. Missed opportunity, and I'm glad that we got this.

I actually did not mind the rehash of Episode IV. It was pretty blatant, but it was kind of neat to see the various twists. Han instead of Obi-Wan. Bad-ass girl instead of whiny boy. Adorable droid instead of plucky droid. All rather enjoyable. I did roll my eyes at the chasm, though. Oh well, it's a space opera, and that fit the trope so easily.

I may have to go a second viewing when the crowds die down. There were some pretty amusing lines, and my theatre was small but full of uproarious laughter. I missed some lines. Watching it again will be no heartache for me, I can tell you.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:25 pm »

Oh, over the first half hour I just kept telling myself "I'm seeing this again."

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2015, 03:37:05 am »
+1

I actually like that Kylo is blatantly and emotional wreck like Anakin was, and they established how messed up and evil he is with the death of Solo.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:07 pm »

I actually like that Kylo is blatantly and emotional wreck like Anakin was, and they established how messed up and evil he is with the death of Solo.

Yeah, it's like they're making up a lot for the unimpressive way they built up Darth Vader. I couldn't help but chuckle a little inwardly at how emo they make him look, but it actually works.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »
+1

Kid 1 made it through 30 minutes before her complainto about it being too loud meant mom had to remove her from the theater.  Kid 2 lasted 15 minutes longer.  I'm posting here because I don't yet feel like asking for pity on Facebook right now.

The first 45 minutes were great though!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2015, 05:49:56 pm »

We can tell you what happened...

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2015, 09:41:05 pm »
+1

I really enjoyed the blatant "we have done this before" war council.

Also, who are rey's parents? As someone who has not read any star wars forums or anything like that, I like the idea she is kylo's twin and Luke wiped people's memories and hid her away to keep her safe. Or something like that. But that is just speculation with my friends (who are also not reading star wars theories and stuff) after we watched the movie
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2015, 11:09:57 pm »

I kind of assumed she was Luke's.

She was, at least, under training as a child.  And being Luke's daughter would explain her strong natural ability

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »

And re: deus ex machina, I'm not so bothered by it since the premise of the universe is The Force.  So, you know, destined encounters.

I'm more bothered by how a small explosion destroys a planet.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2015, 11:15:58 pm »

She was, at least, under training as a child.  And being Luke's daughter would explain her strong natural ability

That was my interpretation too, but I based it more off the visions she saw when picking up Luke's lightsaber. It's also more likely if the trailer line where Luke talks about the Force wasn't filmed for just the trailer. However, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the daughter of someone else, or if she was naturally gifted in the Force. If they keep doing parallels, her parents will likely be the shocking reveal for VIII.

The ridge thing separating them, I agree, it's the Force. Destiny's real, fate and all that.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2015, 12:15:00 am »

Though what was kind of confusing about the flashback, is that it seemed as if it was supposed to be Kylo Ren that attacked Luke's school when Rey was just a child.   That had to have been like ~15 years ago.  However, Ren can't be that much older than Rey himself.  I suppose he could have been a late teen/young adult at the time.  Or was it the big bad guy?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2015, 12:17:28 am »

I loved this movie. Left the theater giddy and can't wait to see it again. Even more hyped to see episode 8.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:28 am »
+1

And re: deus ex machina, I'm not so bothered by it since the premise of the universe is The Force.  So, you know, destined encounters.

I'm more bothered by how a small explosion destroys a planet.

It might seem that way, but remember that "weapon" had just charged up, so it is possible that the "small" explosion caused a weakness in the system that contains that energy, allowing that to destroy the planet. That certainly seems more likely than a couple mines taking it out.

That was my interpretation too, but I based it more off the visions she saw when picking up Luke's lightsaber. It's also more likely if the trailer line where Luke talks about the Force wasn't filmed for just the trailer. However, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the daughter of someone else, or if she was naturally gifted in the Force. If they keep doing parallels, her parents will likely be the shocking reveal for VIII.

The ridge thing separating them, I agree, it's the Force. Destiny's real, fate and all that.

Hate to ruin the trailer for you, but Luke's dialogue was entirely from Return of the Jedi.

Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia.

Simply move the "You have that power too" to after "my sister has it" and there you go.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 21 queries.