Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145571 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2015, 04:07:22 pm »

Politics were the single best thing about the Prequels.

Also, Episdoe 2 was the best of the Prequels.
Agreed x2

What makes you prefer 2 over 3?

Honestly, I think it was how quickly they "turned" Anakin... The first half of the movie worked well with Ep.I and Ep.II but the second half of the movie seemed to fall apart when they forced it to end exactly where "A New Hope" begins.

(I also didn't like the ending of the latest Hobbit movie, for the same reason.)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
+3

Agreed x2

Honestly, I think it was how quickly they "turned" Anakin... The first half of the movie worked well with Ep.I and Ep.II but the second half of the movie seemed to fall apart when they forced it to end exactly where "A New Hope" begins.

(I also didn't like the ending of the latest Hobbit movie, for the same reason.)

The Hobbit movies are shit.  Except for Smaug.  Smaug was the only (ONLY) good thing about those movies.  Okay, Martin Freeman acted well.  But that's it!  The Prequels at least have more than 1.5 redeeming qualities.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »

Agreed x2

If you pay attention to any of the action scenes in #3, it becomes really hard to take them seriously. There are countless moments where main characters could have been killed but the bad guys just don't do it, both during and in between fights scenes. For instance, Obi Wan just jumps into a large group of droids and stuff, and only doesn't die because grievous chooses to duel him. Later during their fight, there is a moment when grievous has obi van in his grip and could have easily killed him, but instead just throws him away, allowing him to find this laser gun and win the fight. When the 4 Jedi come to arrest Sidious, 3 of them just stand by while he kills them one by one, so that he can have the duel with Mace. Every fight scene in the movie is full of those things. The Jedi just keep surviving with ridiculous luck and nonsensical behavior from their opponents.

That's the one reason. The other reason is the whole thing of anakin turning evil, which is like the main arc of the film. That's harder to explain, but the Palpetine's persuasion just seems so weak. The idea is that he becomes evil to save his girlfriend, but it doesn't make sense, because he had a vision of her dying while giving birth. Even if the sith could prevent death, how does he expect to learn it in a few months? Also, why does he suddenly flip his entire political view? That's some serious confirmation bias. And the key moment... dunno, that's just cruel to watch. Kind of like GoT the combat with oberyn and the mountain.

The second movie really doesn't have any of these problems. The big fight at the end makes sense and didn't kill my suspension of disbelief. Even the jedi fights at the very end are much more reasonable.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »

Agreed x2

The Hobbit movies are shit.  Except for Smaug.  Smaug was the only (ONLY) good thing about those movies.  Okay, Martin Freeman acted well.  But that's it!  The Prequels at least have more than 1.5 redeeming qualities.

The Hobbit movies are brilliant. I usually vastly prefer animation over live action movies, but the Hobbit movies are some of the very few live action movies that actually look pretty much as good as animated movies, and they manage to be incredibly simple without being boring. The only disappointing (although, not surprising) thing about them is that none of the ending songs are performed by Summoning.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2015, 05:04:12 pm »
+2

yeah, honestly, I thought the first movie was awful, the second one really good, and the third one kind of stupid but also kind of fun. And unlike everyone else here, I didn't like any of 4-6, so as far as I'm concerned #2 is by far the best starwars movie.

Downvotedownvotedownvote etc. etc.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2015, 07:44:11 pm »

well, to be fair 5 was alright-ish; 4 is just too old to be enjoyable and 6 is straight up bad.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2015, 11:29:29 pm »

well, to be fair 5 was alright-ish; 4 is just too old to be enjoyable and 6 is straight up bad.

It was a rough time for me when I realized that 6 just wasn't as good as I remembered it. Granted, the Jabba scene was really cool, but that was one of the dumbest rescue plans ever. Everything building up toward the end was pretty decent, but the Ewoks really did drag the movie down quite a bit. The Ewoks were like Jar Jar, but there were more of them. And the Chewbacca Tarzan yell was really out of place. And let's not forget that this movie had two burp jokes. Burp jokes in a Star Wars film. I saw this when I was 11, and I thought it was excellent. As an adult, the illusion is shattered.

But I wouldn't say 6 was terrible. It had enough bad things to make it not great, but it did manage to avoid being terrible.
A man has no signature

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2015, 11:36:02 pm »
+4

I think we can all agree that the worst one is the Christmas special. Ugh.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2015, 11:39:08 pm »

I think we can all agree that the worst one is the Christmas special. Ugh.

There are... moments... where it's so bad it's "good."  But those moments are interspersed with vast tracts of the kind of boredom you can only possibly get from the unholy, incestuous hellspawn of C-SPAN and QVC.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2015, 11:53:51 pm »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2015, 11:58:57 pm »
+1

So, here's my take on the Prequels. You can hate the bad acting, because there certainly is some. You can hate the bad writing, because there's certainly a lot of it. You can hate the cinematography, because, let's face it, George Lucas gets bored when he's just filming people talking.

What PISSES me off is when people start going on about "oh, it's all just politics, it's so boring, who cares about taxation and trade routes wahhhh" Like, seriously? Are you really that much of a spastic three-year-old that you need explosions and fight scenes every three seconds and can't be bothered to think about anything? The politics and all that is what I LIKE about the Prequels. Rather than just a straight good vs. evil story, it's a story about temptation and manipulation and corruption, which is far more interesting than just white hat vs. black hat cowboy shoot-em-ups.

What I really, *really* hope is that J.J. Abrams takes a philosophical, nuanced look in this new film. If it's just good guys vs. bad guys, I will be disappointed. It'll probably still be a decent movie with awesome special effects, but the Star Wars saga really deserves more than that at this point.

In principle I don't disagree with you on this, but there's nothing terribly interesting about the politics seen in the prequels.  It's so stale, awkward, and ham-fisted that they WOULD have been better off as pure action movies.  My biggest problems with the prequels are that they exist and if taken seriously serve to make me dislike (and I mean this in a bad way, not in a "wow this is cool that it changed my perception" way) characters that I enjoyed from the OT, especially Yoda and Obi-Wan.  The only thing I do actually like about the prequels is Palpatine.  He really hams it up in an entertaining way and is the one character that felt like he matches what we'd have expected if the films were produced directly after the OT.  Other than that, the rest of my opinions on these match Mr. Plinkett's for the most part so I'll not bother reiterating them.

Return of the Jedi is a great film.  It's worse than New Hope and Empire, but really only because of the Ewoks (the film just would have been far better served had they been Wookies for various reasons) and the totally random "Leia is your sister" reveal that failed to interest anybody and felt inserted for shock value.  There are some pacing issues, but they are not uncommon in these types of movies and don't detract a whole lot for me.  The climactic scenes of the film, especially the standoff between Vader, Luke, and Sidious, are among the best parts of the series.  The moment when Vader turns on the Emperor is such a thrilling part of his character arc that it truly touched me when I was old enough to understand all the implications of the scene.

My favorite Star Wars film is the original, although I love Empire as well.  I love how old and beaten-up everything looks; you actually get the sense that this is a real universe people have been existing in, whereas everything in the prequels is brand new and shiny (I can sort of understand that artistic decision, but it's beside the point here and it's still jarring to me).  The early dynamic between Luke, Han, Leia, 3PO, Chewie, and Ben is great.  I know that's a lot of characters, but the way they work together is very well-directed, and a lot of films could stand to learn from it.  Even though we don't know much about some of the characters as of this film, there is still a lot of weight to their big moments, like the duel with Darth Vader and Luke's faith in the Force helping him take down the Death Star. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:15 am »

Not everything in the prequels is new and shiny.  Tatooine certainly isn't.  Coruscant is deliberately new and shiny (except for the parts of it that deliberately aren't in Clones) because it's supposed to represent a facade of opulence hiding the decay of corruption.  The original trilogy is all worn and lived in because everything has gone to shit since the Empire was formed.  I just feel that, out of all the things to nitpick, this seems like a silly one to.

What I like most about the prequels, and what a lot of Star Wars fans seem to forget (or want to forget), is the worldbuilding done.  The backstory that frames the original trilogy.  The Jedi used to basically run the galaxy, there were thousands of them, but they had gotten stiff and stale and monastic, and were out of touch.  After Order 66, Obi-Wan and Yoda realize this is a problem, which is why they don't train Luke the way that they were trained.

However, if you think about it, it makes a bit of sense to have the Jedi be, at least to a certain extent, monastic and distant.  The Sith, particularly Anakin,  make it very clear what happens when a Force-user lets their emotions get the better of them.  We're talking about people who can warp reality to their very whim and maybe they should be trained to stay cool and collected and not try to, you know, take over the universe.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:19:38 am by werothegreat »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2015, 01:01:16 am »

Edit: Man, I regret this post.  If you already read it, I apologize if it seemed insulting.  I was just really bummed by your first paragraph; you can express that point without insulting someone, you know.  This is why I try to avoid arguing on the internet at all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:17:22 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2015, 02:00:21 am »

The preview for Force Awakens looks really great in 3D :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2015, 08:18:46 am »

Edit: Man, I regret this post.  If you already read it, I apologize if it seemed insulting.  I was just really bummed by your first paragraph; you can express that point without insulting someone, you know.  This is why I try to avoid arguing on the internet at all.

I apologize; it was late at night when I posted that, and I was rather harsh.  I'll edit my own post, though I have no idea what your post originally was.

The preview for Force Awakens looks really great in 3D :)

YES IT DOES

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:40 am »
+3

Uh, excuse me? Episode II is freaking the worst. I lose my hand :'(

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2015, 10:13:30 am »
+3

Pretty sure you lose more in Episode III...

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2015, 10:14:07 am »
+7

Pretty sure you lose more in Episode III...

But I gained the Dark Side. And this awesome suit. And the entire Galaxy.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:15 am »

Watched Empire for first time.

I like IV more. Every famous line from Empire is old to me. 95% of the plot was old to me. 90% of the scenes were old to me. Once all of that's been spoiled, the only parts I have left are the action...except a lot of the action was spoiled to me too, so I was barely in any suspense. I knew the walkers get taken down by harpoons; I knew Han went into the asteroid field and hides inside a space worm; I knew Lando would have misgivings at the last minute, and so on.

That being said, the Luke/Vader fight still holds up very well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2015, 07:05:18 am »

Every famous line from Empire is old to me. 95% of the plot was old to me. 90% of the scenes were old to me. Once all of that's been spoiled, the only parts I have left are the action...except a lot of the action was spoiled to me too, so I was barely in any suspense. I knew the walkers get taken down by harpoons; I knew Han went into the asteroid field and hides inside a space worm; I knew Lando would have misgivings at the last minute, and so on.

But it's more fun when you know what's going to happen.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:31 am »

Watched Empire for first time.

I like IV more. Every famous line from Empire is old to me. 95% of the plot was old to me. 90% of the scenes were old to me. Once all of that's been spoiled, the only parts I have left are the action...except a lot of the action was spoiled to me too, so I was barely in any suspense. I knew the walkers get taken down by harpoons; I knew Han went into the asteroid field and hides inside a space worm; I knew Lando would have misgivings at the last minute, and so on.

That being said, the Luke/Vader fight still holds up very well.

well, you can't hold that against the movie though, right? I mean, it's just based on your context.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2015, 02:19:18 pm »

I'm not holding it against the movie, I'm only saying why I didn't like it as much. I still enjoyed it.

Re: fun to know beforehand: I tend to disagree. I can enjoy movies where I know the plot, but there's a difference between knowing "Rebels are on the ice world Hoth and have to fight against Imperial walkers" and "In the fight, Luke's ship is going to crash, at which point he'll run on foot to a walker, pull himself up, and use his lightsaber to take down a walker, after which Han takes Leia out on the Falcon and Luke goes to Dagobah where his ship will land in a swamp, and..."
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »
+1

I'm not holding it against the movie, I'm only saying why I didn't like it as much. I still enjoyed it.

Re: fun to know beforehand: I tend to disagree. I can enjoy movies where I know the plot, but there's a difference between knowing "Rebels are on the ice world Hoth and have to fight against Imperial walkers" and "In the fight, Luke's ship is going to crash, at which point he'll run on foot to a walker, pull himself up, and use his lightsaber to take down a walker, after which Han takes Leia out on the Falcon and Luke goes to Dagobah where his ship will land in a swamp, and..."
So, you dislike watching movies multiple times.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:48 pm »
+1

So, you dislike watching movies multiple times.

There's a difference between watching a spoiled movie, and watching a movie you've seen before.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.