Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145560 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2015, 05:57:46 pm »
+2

Is it just me, or does Harrison Ford look like his old self dressed up as young Han Solo, rather than old Han Solo? Maybe that's inevitable at first.

Wait, he's playing Han Solo?  I thought the new Star Wars film was going to be an Indiana Jones crossover.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2015, 06:03:29 pm »
+4

A somewhat interesting point:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/opinion/beale-star-wars/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I mean, how many light sabre duels can you sit through before you're bored out of your skull? How many outer space dogfights? How many seemingly profound Yoda-esque thoughts?

Very, very many.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
+1

Somebody's forgetting midi-chlorians...
How in-depth is the lore on midi-chlorians, anyway? If it's just like Harry Potter magic blood kind of stuff, it doesn't affect the conclusions on Star Wars' genre much.

This question is coming from someone genuinely not familiar with Star Wars lore.

Midichlorians impregnated Shmi Skywalker. You decide.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2015, 06:11:52 pm »

How in-depth is the lore on midi-chlorians, anyway? If it's just like Harry Potter magic blood kind of stuff, it doesn't affect the conclusions on Star Wars' genre much.

This question is coming from someone genuinely not familiar with Star Wars lore.

The Force impregnated Shmi Skywalker. Midi-chlorians are simply a quantification/demystification of the Force.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »

The Force impregnated Shmi Skywalker. Midi-chlorians are simply a quantification/demystification of the Force. 

Clarification: Palpatine made the Force make the midi-chlorians impregnate Shmi.  Which kind of makes Anakin literally an anti-Christ figure.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »

Midi-chlorians are some sort of wibbly wobbly tiny weeny... stuff. Symbiotic bacteria that mediates between life and the Force. Midi-chlorians "allegedly" conceived Anakin. Wookieepedia has my back on this!

Clarification: Palpatine made the Force make the midi-chlorians impregnate Shmi.  Which kind of makes Anakin literally an anti-Christ figure.

Wait what when did this happen
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2015, 09:23:10 pm »

Wait what when did this happen

Its part of Star Wars lore that you won't get by simply watching the movies.  I don't know where, but I know it is there somewhere
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »
+6

Spock used a Vulcan Mind Meld to impregnate Shmi Skywalker.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:36 pm »

Midichlorines seemed like an attempt to inject science into the Force. Fortunately, they didn't press too hard, and it was all forgotten in the other movies. Bad mistake to shove that in there.

And I saw the trailer. While it was a nice trailer, I was not floored by it. My reaction to it was not as nerdgastic as some of my friends. I guess I am just approaching this with wary trepidation.

I do agree that Han looks like old Han trying to wear his iconic outfit, which is like a 60-year-old woman trying on her prom dress. Hope that's just for the sake of the trailer. Han did wear more than just that jacket after all.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2015, 02:06:20 am »

Midichlorines seemed like an attempt to inject science into the Force. Fortunately, they didn't press too hard, and it was all forgotten in the other movies. Bad mistake to shove that in there.

And I saw the trailer. While it was a nice trailer, I was not floored by it. My reaction to it was not as nerdgastic as some of my friends. I guess I am just approaching this with wary trepidation.

I do agree that Han looks like old Han trying to wear his iconic outfit, which is like a 60-year-old woman trying on her prom dress. Hope that's just for the sake of the trailer. Han did wear more than just that jacket after all.
I still can't figure out why they wanted some old guy to play Han Solo...

:o ;D
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16:51 am »
+2

This trailer did not do much for me either. I liked the other teaser more for the sense of urgency. Anyway, this trailer doesn't really give anything which is either a plus or a negative. I sort of want to know what's going on. Anyway, there are some beautiful shots like the downed Star Destroyer in the sand. This also seems more Star Wars looking than the prequels. But, at the same time, nothing screams this will be as amazing as the originals. On the bright side, this won't come nowhere near as bad as the prequels. Well, this movie is still 8 months from release, so I am sure they are holding a lot back. My guess is a lot of the footage in this teaser is from the first half of the film.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2015, 08:10:14 am »

There's no need to show too much. The point of showing a lot of what's happening in the trailer is to get people interested in seeing the movie. Star Wars honestly doesn't need that. Hell, if this movie didn't show a single trailer, it'd still do well at the box office.

There is a danger to showing too much. My enjoyment of Terminator 2 was hampered by the marketing geniuses telling all of us that in this movie Schwarzenegger is the good guy. What a lost opportunity. Unless you read too much into the nonlethality of Schwarzenegger at the beginning of the movie (versus the opening of the first one where he rips a guy's heart out), there is really no indication of him being the good guy until the confrontation with the T1000. The marketing execs went too far with this movie, and it's not like I can unlearn that when watching it for the first time.

By contrast, the Matrix marketing was brilliant. What's going on? Dunno. It has Keanu Reeves in black. Well, that's got to be fun, right? What does he do? No idea. Who are the bad guys? We don't even know if there are any. They kept the plot of the Matrix secret, and it made the movie much more enjoyable IMO.

Granted, this is Star Wars. Aside from the paternity of Vader, there haven't really been major twists and turns. The reveal of Leia's relationship to Luke wasn't even that big of a deal when it happened (I'm sure it'll be a bigger deal in Ep 7). So I'm not really expecting anything earth-shattering in terms of plot here, but it could still happen. Brand new characters and plots, so there's a vast playground to build relationships and backstories. The less said, the better.

It does occur to me that the movie comes out on Christmas. Haven't all the previous movies been released in May? It's not  greatly unsettling, but I'm a little sad to see tradition bucked.
A man has no signature

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2015, 11:52:23 am »
+7

Don't watch this movie. I'm not in it.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2015, 12:36:50 pm »
+2

But we saw your hat!

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »
+1

But we saw your hat!

Don't make me destroy you.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:46 am »
+1

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2015, 02:19:23 am »

I thought the preview attached to Age of Ultron looked fantastic in 3D. Really, this could be the next "worth 3D" movie since Avatar and Gravity.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2015, 03:50:29 am »
+6

Watched Star Wars IV for the first time.

- There are a lot more alien creatures in the beginning than I thought there'd be.
- It's very strange watching a movie where I recognize 80-90% of the scenes through parodies, references, and Darths & Droids screencaps.
- It's also very strange to see the plot the way it originally was, instead of the way it's been bent and twisted by D&D. (I knew the broad strokes beforehand, but the small details are all slightly different.)
- It lived up to the hype.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:49:47 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »
+1

Watched Star Wars IV for the first time.

- There are a lot more alien creatures in the beginning than I thought there'd be.
- It's very strange watching a movie where I recognize 80-90% of the scenes through parodies, references, and Darths & Droids screencaps.
- It's also very strange to see the plot the way it originally was, instead of the way it's been bent and twisted by D&D. (I knew the broad strokes beforehand, but the small details are all slightly different.)
- It lived up to the hype.

Welcome to the beginning of your childhood.  It's going to be a wild ride.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »
+3

So, here's my take on the Prequels. You can hate the bad acting, because there certainly is some. You can hate the bad writing, because there's certainly a lot of it. You can hate the cinematography, because, let's face it, George Lucas gets bored when he's just filming people talking.

What PISSES me off is when people start going on about "oh, it's all just politics, it's so boring, who cares about taxation and trade routes wahhhh" Like, seriously? Are you really that much of a spastic three-year-old that you need explosions and fight scenes every three seconds and can't be bothered to think about anything? The politics and all that is what I LIKE about the Prequels. Rather than just a straight good vs. evil story, it's a story about temptation and manipulation and corruption, which is far more interesting than just white hat vs. black hat cowboy shoot-em-ups.

What I really, *really* hope is that J.J. Abrams takes a philosophical, nuanced look in this new film. If it's just good guys vs. bad guys, I will be disappointed. It'll probably still be a decent movie with awesome special effects, but the Star Wars saga really deserves more than that at this point.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
+1

Politics were the single best thing about the Prequels.

Also, Episdoe 2 was the best of the Prequels.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2015, 03:03:46 pm »

Agreed x2

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2015, 03:39:22 pm »

Yeah I thought that too when I saw them years ago. I can't remember why though.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »

Agreed x2

What makes you prefer 2 over 3?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »

yeah, honestly, I thought the first movie was awful, the second one really good, and the third one kind of stupid but also kind of fun. And unlike everyone else here, I didn't like any of 4-6, so as far as I'm concerned #2 is by far the best starwars movie.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.