Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145573 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:02 pm »

I think it's less for protecting his hand and more for stabby-stabby.

Imagine I've got the crossguard saber, and I'm parrying your normal saber.  I just turn a little, and I slice your arm off.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 12:05:02 pm »

Thank you for that illustration. That's what I was trying to get at, but this picture explains it so well. And even if that design did somehow work, why not make it wrap around 360 degrees?

Also, there's got to be a reason that it's not a thing (aside from Lucas oversight). Most lightsaber duels can be over in 5 seconds. Two blades strike; the person who first slides his blade along the opposing blade and to the hand wins. What would a cross guard accomplish that isn't already accomplished with conventional lightsabers?

And while super-friction sounds like a good enough explanation, there is almost always the cool disengage motion where the blades are touching and then slide apart as the combatants whirl away from each other. One-way super-friction? Yeah, there's a reason why FORCE! is often a sufficient answer, just like MAGIC! That's the problem with taking traditional swordfighting and applying metal-melting properties to it.

I'm still going to chalk it up to "It looks cool but we have no idea how to make this work."

The new lightsaber fails at protecting sliding down to cut off fingers, because the beams don't come directly out of the other beam:

A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »

Imagine I've got the crossguard saber, and I'm parrying your normal saber.  I just turn a little, and I slice your arm off.

If they use it like that, then that eliminates many of my problems with the design. Then the issue becomes that it's very dangerous to use, but that's true for Darth Maul's lightsaber. Hell, any lightsaber is pretty dangerous. Swinging a zero-mass blade around that could slice through flesh like butter? How do we not have more one-armed Jedi?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:06:52 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:30 pm »
+2

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 12:23:42 pm »
+3

Pfff, and then what? That's just a flesh wound.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:01 pm »
+1

Yeah, except you'll still be the Sith everyone laughs at behind your back.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
+2

What would a cross guard accomplish that isn't already accomplished with conventional lightsabers?

I'm holding out hope for this scene between the new Sith and one of his henchmen.

"Hey come check out my new light saber. It's really cool. Stay out of the way of the blade while I activate it. Look at the hilt. Look closer, look right at the hilt. That's where the cool part is."
"AUGH my eye!"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 02:57:37 pm »

The new lightsaber fails at protecting sliding down to cut off fingers, because the beams don't come directly out of the other beam:

I think that makes some serious assumptions about the plasma physics of light sabers.  Why couldn't they both be the same plasma source, which can be cut off via force field to get rid of the crossbars?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »
+2

I think that makes some serious assumptions about the plasma physics of light sabers.  Why couldn't they both be the same plasma source, which can be cut off via force field to get rid of the crossbars?

I just want to know how the green lightsaber jumped from the upper crossbar to cutting off the lower crossbar
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:10 pm »

I just want to know how the green lightsaber jumped from the upper crossbar to cutting off the lower crossbar

I can't unsee it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
+1

I can't unsee it.

Whereas I can't see it.  It never looks like it's at the upper crossbar.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:06 pm »
+1

I can't unsee it.

Whereas I can't see it.  It never looks like it's at the upper crossbar.

In 1 and 2 the green light saber is clearly in the foreground, whereas in 3 the green light saber is now in the background. Maybe it cut through the crossbar and then went down below the bottom of the hilt and we are seeing image 3 as the green light saber comes back up on the upswing now on the other side of the hilt?

Edit: although that said, whether it was originally going for upper or lower crossbar is clearly just a mental bias because there's nothing to indicate one or the other.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:40:34 pm by Jorbles »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

Ahh, I get it now.  Except I still see 1 and 2 as the green going for the lower crossbar.  It's ambiguous in 1, it's clear in 2, and then 3 is just weird because of the green saber suddenly being in the background.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 08:56:12 pm »

Maybe the sith just likes how it looks?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 01:53:16 am »
+2

If you're going to accidentally kill yourself with your own weapon, at least look cool doing it?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
+2

The George Lucas special edition of the trailer:

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »

If you're going to accidentally kill yourself with your own weapon, at least look cool doing it?

It would only look cool if the Sith was a 12 year old boy....

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 03:02:57 pm »
+3

This image has now been debunked by Steven Colbert: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/umsrnb/lightsaber-controversy
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 03:14:33 pm »

This image has now been debunked by Steven Colbert: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/umsrnb/lightsaber-controversy

yeah.  Case closed.  Nothing more to say on the matter.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »

A somewhat interesting point:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/opinion/beale-star-wars/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I don't exactly share his views, but he does have a point that Star Wars misrepresents Sci-Fi.  Though, the author loses a lot of authority for saying The Matrix is "the most original sci-fi movie of the past 25 years".  Well Matrix was original, but did this guy never hear of Primer?  Moon? 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:07:41 pm by Witherweaver »

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 03:34:08 pm »

I don't exactly share his views, but he does have a point that Star Wars misrepresents Sci-Fi.  Though, the author loses a lot of authority for saying The Matrix is "the most original sci-fi movie of the past 25 years".  Well Matrix was original, but did this guy never heard of Primer?  Moon?

Never heard of that other stuff, but Matrix clearly is a rip off of Tron.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »
+1

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »
+6

The creator of the illustration was clearly following rule 0 of memogenesis: make sure to include a triviel mistake for people to point out.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:15 pm »
+2

I don't exactly share his views, but he does have a point that Star Wars misrepresents Sci-Fi.  Though, the author loses a lot of authority for saying The Matrix is "the most original sci-fi movie of the past 25 years".  Well Matrix was original, but did this guy never heard of Primer?  Moon?
This editorial seems analogous to criticizing Lord of the Rings for misrepresenting historical fiction. It's not like people are somehow tricked into thinking that Star Wars is serious speculation about the future.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 04:25:33 pm »

This editorial seems analogous to criticizing Lord of the Rings for misrepresenting historical fiction. It's not like people are somehow tricked into thinking that Star Wars is serious speculation about the future.

Hmm.. that wasn't what I got from it.  I read it more as people saw Star Wars and thought Sci Fi was big operas and explosions, when really it's about exploring deep issues of our humanity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.