Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 145567 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
STAR WARS
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:36:43 am »
+7

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:37:49 am »
+5

I am hyped, but man, that lightsaber seems impractical.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45:59 am »

When Tracy Morgan popped up I laughed and thought it was going to be a joke trailer. It's not.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
+3

When Tracy Morgan popped up I laughed and thought it was going to be a joke trailer. It's not.

That was not Tracy Morgan.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:48:46 am »

That was not Tracy Morgan.

At third glance I think you're right. It does look like him though.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »
+2

Abrams destroyed Star Trek by trying to turn it into Star Wars.  So we know he can do a good action film.  Yet Star Wars also had cerebral elements, even the prequels.  Will he destroy Star Wars by going full-on Transformers with it?  I guess we'll know soon.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 03:31:17 pm »

Abrams destroyed Star Trek by trying to turn it into Star Wars.  So we know he can do a good action film.  Yet Star Wars also had cerebral elements, even the prequels.  Will he destroy Star Wars by going full-on Transformers with it?  I guess we'll know soon.

Bah. He's a great fit for SW, and it's a shame it took him doing ST to show it, but he's finally where he belongs, so that's good.

Same thought I had. Cool, the inevitable (but awesome) new variant! That...increases the odds you cut off your own fingers?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

I love the trailer. I have heard several people complain about the lightsaber though. My guess is it belongs to a secret religious order...maybe disciples of Sith teachings or something. That's just my imagination going though. Anyway, what's the beginning of a new Star Was trilogy if you don't have a bad guy with a new lightsaber?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

Oh, so it is going to be 3D, ok I guess.

Anybody knows what the lore says on original trilogy stormtroopers? They were all originally clones of Jango, but I don't know if by the time A New Hope rolls around the Empire has started taking recruits.

Basically, I am asking who discount Tracy Morgan is playing as.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »

That discount Tracy Morgan is a British actor who I think was in Attack the Block. I you want a low budget action/horror movie to watch after a few beers then you can do worse than Attack the Block.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
+1

Anybody knows what the lore says on original trilogy stormtroopers? They were all originally clones of Jango, but I don't know if by the time A New Hope rolls around the Empire has started taking recruits.

After the Clone Wars, the Empire recruits non-clones to be Stormtroopers.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

Same thought I had. Cool, the inevitable (but awesome) new variant! That...increases the odds you cut off your own fingers?

No way. Those small things where the light comes out will stop your hand from sliding into the beam. I think "regular" lightsabers are easier to cut yourself with. What bothers me, though, is that the light looks more like flames and less like... Light.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 09:57:30 am »
+1

After the Clone Wars, the Empire recruits non-clones to be Stormtroopers.

Ok, thanks.

No way. Those small things where the light comes out will stop your hand from sliding into the beam. I think "regular" lightsabers are easier to cut yourself with. What bothers me, though, is that the light looks more like flames and less like... Light.

They kinda look the same to me. But then again maybe they are moving towards lightsabers being made of plasma rather than a laser, which would make a little bit more sense.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:00:55 am »

They kinda look the same to me. But then again maybe they are moving towards lightsabers being made of plasma rather than a laser, which would make a little bit more sense.

I had a talk about this with a friend, and we concluded that lightswords and the laser beams that aren't really moving with the speed of laser are actually made of wood (in plasma form). So, there's your answer, they fight with wooden swords. no, don't thank me.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:22:47 am »

The problem is not your hands for the lightsaber though, it is your legs.  I mean, swing that thing around in circles and you could very easily cut your thigh open.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »
+4

The problem is not your hands for the lightsaber though, it is your legs.  I mean, swing that thing around in circles and you could very easily cut your thigh open.

The resolution of the video is not high enough to make it visible, but that lightsaber has ACME written on it. The movie will also introduce laser guns that shoot in fourteen different random directions at once.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 12:41:23 am »
+8

The resolution of the video is not high enough to make it visible, but that lightsaber has ACME written on it. The movie will also introduce laser guns that shoot in fourteen different random directions at once.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 12:52:22 am »

I believe the in-universe answer is that the user doesn't cut themselves because THE FORCE.

And also, the guards would help defend against opponents' laser swords, so there is that.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 01:59:52 am »
+1

Timely non-sequitur, start reading Darths & Droids if you aren't already. They're currently nearing the end of Episode V, and by the time they finish VI it's possible they might be able to start riffing on the upcoming movie.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 03:23:30 am »
+4

So that's what happens when Gillette starts making lightsabers... "The best a Sith can get," indeed.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 03:26:13 am »
+1

So that's what happens when Gillette starts making lightsabers... "The best a Sith can get," indeed.

I heard you like lightsabers...

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:39 am »
+4

They can't all be the best lightsaber ever.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:39 am »

I saw a picture of a Swiss army lightsaber. That was amusing.

I don't like the new lightsaber. It looks impractical and only serves to exist for the "Oh cool" factor. I hate the "Oh cool" factor when it's presented by itself. At least the double lightsaber has a practical effect, if a bit more dangerous to wield. The filmmakers are going to have to really sell me on this lightsaber's practicality.

And okay, so a popular assumption is that the cross guard will protect you from lightsaber attacks, which is a pretty legitimate claim. After all, just about every lightsaber battle could be resolved quickly if the duelist just slides the blade down to the fingers and chop them off. But it's not much of a threat now, is it? Why doesn't that happen already in every lightsaber battle? Possibly the "friction" is too much to allow for that kind of sliding. Or as someone already said, the FORCE!

But then why extend that protection to just one plane? A real broadsword has that plane because of how the swords are created. Additional cross guards would be unnecessary and unwieldy. A lightsaber can be struck from any of 360 degrees. And besides, is the handle safe? Because I'm looking at how those cross guards stick out and seeing an unprotected housing. What happens if the opposing lightsaber slides toward that?

It does seem that they are trying too hard to make something cool with lightsabers while forgetting that lightsabers are simply cool. Darth Maul's lightsaber was pretty badass (even though Darth Maul was boring cardboard). General Grievous's four lightsabers were also pretty cool, even though he wasn't technically a Jedi. But not everything needs to be souped up.

But if you are going to soup up a lightsaber, then go big with it, man. Cross guards? Pfft, it looks silly and doesn't convey a sense of awesomeness. A lightsaber chain weapon? Now that would be awe-inspiring. A lightsaber chain would be pretty cool, but they'd have to explain that nobody talks about the horrible period of time in R&D. Tragic, simply tragic.

I just hope the teaser is a marketing test. Maybe they want to see if that weapon will sit well with the audience. Hopefully they got enough negative feedback that they'll reconsider the broad sword idea. But you know I'll go see the movie regardless.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 09:56:17 am »

The blade is controlled by the Force, bitches!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 11:22:43 am »
+4

The new lightsaber fails at protecting sliding down to cut off fingers, because the beams don't come directly out of the other beam:

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.