Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vault to early Grand Market???  (Read 5220 times)

brian.marcy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Vault to early Grand Market???
« on: November 28, 2014, 04:48:39 am »

On a board w/ vault, grand market, and a starting hand of 5/2, you buy an early vault to discard all the cards you draw gaining 6 coins to buy GM:

So, I just discovered this in a game and wanted to see if it's a known good play or if a person should just play "normal" buying treasures and lesser cards to eventually get GM (assuming that GM is a part of your strategy).

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Vault to early Grand Market???
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 05:28:11 am »
+1

It's a known play.  It's pretty good, but it's better to prioritize trashing if that is available.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:37:20 am »

It almost guarantees you winning the GM split 6/4 or 7/3, at least on boards without sufficient thrashing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:38:10 am »

Yeah, it's good. Definitely better than buying Treasures, which you don't really want in your deck anyway if you're playing a Grand Market strategy. It's not better than trashing early though, but trashing and Vault can sometimes be used in combination.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:30 am »
+1

On its own, buying grand markets with treasures is a haphazard approach. The grand market may not even be substantially better than either a gold or a province for a simple treasure deck. Finding another way to gain the grand market is almost always preferable and using a vault is fine.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »
+1

There's a good example of this combo available here.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »
+3

Please feel free to add your insight to the article on the wiki:)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brian.marcy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:44 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.  I also really appreciate the links for additional articles for me to read.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:12:42 pm »

Doesn't it depend on what trasher? Getting Grand Market later with Steward, sure, seems better than doing the Vault route, but using Loans or Lookouts instead of going Silver into Vault into GM seems so slow it can't be worth it (doesn't keep you from getting the trashers later)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:51:34 pm »
+1

Why not get both?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 02:25:35 am »
+9

Please feel free to add your insight to the article on the wiki:)

Three cheers* for your work on and promotion of the wiki. :)

*one cheer is worth approximately 0.33 respect, to be converted immediately upon receipt.  Valid on participating forums only.  Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion.  Cheers have no monetary value.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »

Why not get both?

You can't get both first.  jsh says to prioritize trashing, I say to prioritize Vault unless the trashing is very competitive.  Lookout and Loan and Doctor jeopardize your ability to hit 5$ for the Vault very quickly.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »

Why not get both?

You can't get both first.  jsh says to prioritize trashing, I say to prioritize Vault unless the trashing is very competitive.  Lookout and Loan and Doctor jeopardize your ability to hit 5$ for the Vault very quickly.

Vault + Doctor + GM is the clear example in which you want to trash later overpaying big.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 01:08:49 pm »

Why not get both?

Yeah, I would not get any of those three before I either had a vault or was reasonably certain I would be getting one soon. Doctor especially, as soulnet says.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »
+2

Loan does not jeopardize getting to $5 that much. I would open Loan/Silver in a board with Vault, GM, and nothing else that is exciting enough. Sure, Silver/Silver is more likely to get $5, but Loan/Silver is good enough and you don't waste precious time later buying Loan.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »

Loan does not jeopardize getting to $5 that much. I would open Loan/Silver in a board with Vault, GM, and nothing else that is exciting enough. Sure, Silver/Silver is more likely to get $5, but Loan/Silver is good enough and you don't waste precious time later buying Loan.
You'll get +buy later to separate 3$ out.  Although if Loan's the only trashing and I have no hope of trashing estates anyway, I think I'd want to load up on the vaults to convert my green to cash and just skip Loan altogether.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »
+1

I feel like Loan as the only trasher is always the right decision on a GM board, Vault or no Vault.
My opponent has more loot than me

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:36 am »

I feel like Loan as the only trasher is always the right decision on a GM board, Vault or no Vault.

I don't quite understand this. Does it mean:
If Loan is the only trasher and there is Grand market on the board, it's always the right decision to go for the Loan (straight away)?

I just have some syntactical problems. :D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:34 am »

I don't quite understand this. Does it mean:
If Loan is the only trasher and there is Grand market on the board, it's always the right decision to go for the Loan (straight away)?

I just have some syntactical problems. :D

Pretty much. And Loan especially is a trasher that you want as soon as possible or not at all, so it's almost always the right decision to open Loan in GM games where it's the only trasher unless you have a 5/2 opening and the $5s are useful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.