Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tragedy Looper first time  (Read 2449 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Tragedy Looper first time
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:51:32 am »
+6

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to play Tragedy Looper a few times. I really like the concept, and the game play was fun. I can see stories unfolding from the game play.

The gist of the game is that something bad happens, and the Protagonist players have to stop that bad thing from happening. The Mastermind player knows the conditions that will cause the Protagonists to lose and wants to ensure that they do lose. When the Protagonists lose, everything resets, and the Protagonists use their newfound knowledge to prevent that tragedy from happening again. Unfortunately for the Protagonists, there is usually more than one way to lose. They have so many loops to cycle through. If they can make it through one loop without losing then they win.

How does this work? There are four locations and several characters. Each character has a role hidden from the Protagonist. Those roles have abilities that happen based on specific triggers or are activated by the Mastermind. One example is that the Key Person is someone who causes the Protagonists to lose if he/she dies. The Conspiracy Theorist is someone who can increase a nearby person's Paranoia levels. These roles may or may not be in play in any given scenario.

A Loop lasts several days where all players play cards on the different characters and resolve their actions. Then character abilities can be used. Protagonists can use abilities too by unlocking them with Goodwill. Basically, the character is befriended by the Protagonists, and they can do things. For example, the Police Officer can tell the Protagonist who caused an Incident.

After abilities, there might be an Incident. Incidents are preprogrammed problems that is caused by the same person. That only happens when the Paranoia level is high, so the Mastermind can trigger it (possibly leading to the defeat of the Protagonists), or the Protagonists can increase Paranoia to force the Incident to happen and learn more about it.

If the day goes by without the Protagonists lose, then they play on to the next day until enough days pass that they win (or they end up losing).

It's a deductive game. The Mastermind wants to cause a loss, but if he reveals his roles too early, then the Protagonists can thwart him in future Loops. If someone dies in a room full of people, then who killed him? The Mastermind would do well to obfuscate the clues. The Protagonists, knowing that there's a murderer, might try to isolate people so that the victim is alone with the murderer (or Killer; yes, the two terms are separate here). This doesn't necessarily result in a loss, as the person who was killed might not be key to the scenario.

This leads to my conclusion that time travelers are dicks. In one game, we ended up getting two people killed on purpose for the express purpose of hoping that one of their deaths will give us a clue in a future Loop. It was horrifying and funny.

Fun game, though I know some people for whom this is not their cup of tea. But I also like Mystery of the Abbey, and I feel this game requires more deductive reasoning than Mystery.
A man has no signature

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Re: Tragedy Looper first time
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:10:47 pm »

I've played this once as well - I was the Mastermind, and I made a few mistakes, but it was a lot of fun. And I agree about "Time Travelers are dicks" for very similar reasons.

Spoiler regarding the first scenario: In the final loop, they used the Serial Killer to take out anyone who could possibly be a threat to the Key Person, so by the last day my only chance was to bluff them into moving those two characters to the same place alone, but they worked out a move that made that impossible.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:17:20 pm »

Ha, ha, nice play by your players. And their rationale is perhaps even more horrifying than mine.

In my very limited exposure to the game, it seems like there are about as many Loops as there are ways to lose. I imagine that the section on how to make your own stories has this as a requirement.

And that makes sense. One big suggestion to the Protagonists is to not lose the same way twice. Each time you lose, you learn something (unless you lose twice the same way, sucker!). So long as you can avoid falling into the same trap twice, you should be able to deduce what the Mastermind needs and can work to thwart him. Since the Protagonists always plan their moves after the Mastermind lays his cards down, this makes it easy.

So it seems that the Mastermind would love to just keep repeating history despite the Protagonists' efforts. But always keep a backup plan, because it's kind of hard to make them lose the same way twice.

At least that's the impression I get with my little exposure to the game.
A man has no signature

D3Games

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • D3 Games: Tabletop Gaming Store
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
+1

This made my day. I hadn't heard of this game before and now its top on my wishlist. I'm a sucker for time travel ANYTHING. Just finished reading All You Need Is Kill. Simple, but fun.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:47:36 am »

My friend who was running it described it to everyone as Groundhog Day.

I cannot dispute that, but I would say it's a bit closer to Run, Lola, Run with some Quantum Leap thrown in.

There was also an episode of G vs E that was very much like Run, Lola, Run. I'm sure this trope can be found elsewhere.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.603 seconds with 21 queries.