Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Enlightenment  (Read 1454 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Dominion: Enlightenment
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:54:02 pm »
+1

This expansion introduces Knowledge tokens.  In general, there is a theme of knowing what's coming next, and doing things methodically.

Rules for Knowledge tokens:

-Before drawing cards at the end of Clean-up, you may spend any number of Knowledge tokens.  Reveal that many cards from your deck.  Discard however many you like, and put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.
-After this, but still before drawing cards, you have a second opportunity to spend any number of Knowledge tokens.  If you do, look through your discard pile, and put that many cards from your discard pile on top of your deck.
-Finally, draw your hand, and end your turn.

(It's possible the second time spending them might be too strong, but I'm not sure if the first time is strong enough)

Philosopher
$5 - Action

+3 Cards

Take 2 Knowledge tokens.

Heretic
$5 - Action-Attack

You may trash a card.  If you do, take a Knowledge token.  Each other player returns 2 Knowledge tokens.  If they do not, they gain a Curse.

Foundry
$3 - Action

+1 Action

Choose one: Take 2 Knowledge tokens; or return any number of Knowledge tokens, and gain a card whose cost in Coins exactly equals the number returned.

Experiment
$4 - Treasure

$2

When you gain this, take 3 Knowledge tokens.

Archive
$6 - Victory

Worth 1 VP for each Knowledge token you have at the end of the game.

When you gain this, take 2 Knowledge tokens.

Surgeon
$4 - Action

Trash a card.  Take a Knowledge token per Coin it costs.

Surveyor
$2 - Action

+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is a Victory or Curse card, take a Knowledge token.  Otherwise, put it in your hand.

EDIT: These are not tested at all, and I honestly kind of ran out of ideas in the middle.  Treat this as stream of consciousness splurge.  I think the one takeaway is the tokens idea here.  Also I want a card called "Heretic."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:00:15 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:29:10 pm »
+1

The idea is cute. If my instinct is right, most of the cards are broken in their current version, but it might be possible to work things out.

The first thing I'd do first is to think about how much a knowledge token is worth. Based on what they do, I'd say they're worth between 1 and 1,5 coin tokens (this is an uninformed guess, based solely on intuition). So, that's how I'll look at the cards.

so, I'll quickly go through all the cards and explain what problems I'm seeing.

Philosopher
$5 - Action

+3 Cards

Take 2 Knowledge tokens.
pretty sure this is too strong. with two of them, you can topdeck one each turn and still have enough left to topdeck gold etc.

Foundry$3 - Action

+1 Action

Choose one: Take 2 Knowledge tokens; or return any number of Knowledge tokens, and gain a card whose cost in Coins exactly equals the number returned.
here, the first part might be okay, but the workshop is pretty useless. since you don't get the first option, you have to pay 2 + price to gain a cord, so to get a card costing 5$, you have to pay 7 tokens, which is obviously more than it's worth.

Experiment
$4 - Treasure

$2

When you gain this, take 3 Knowledge tokens.
this looks broken too, as 3$ and 4$ are very close, and a card costing 4$ should not be strictly better than silver. I think it could easily cost 5$ and still be superior to royal seal or stash.

Surgeon
$4 - Action

Trash a card.  Take a Knowledge token per Coin it costs.
The closest match here is salvager, and I'll say that this one is much better, as a knowledge token is worth more than 1$. They get better later though, and you want salvager early, so it might be more complicated.

Archive
$6 - Victory

Worth 1 VP for each Knowledge token you have at the end of the game.

When you gain this, take 2 Knowledge tokens.
Well, this one is a clear case, and unfortunately, I doubt that it can be fixed. A victory card that counts itself has already been made and turned into duke; this one does the same with the added bonuses of a) being twice as good, b) giving you a way to spend some of your future VP's in game and c) a way to boost VP when other cards that provide knowledge tokens are present. as is, you would but it over province in every game, but even if the powerlevel is right, all it can ever be is a swingier version of duke.

Surveyor
$2 - Action

+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is a Victory or Curse card, take a Knowledge token.  Otherwise, put it in your hand.
and this one is too weak. compare it to vagrant, and you have
-> reveals victory card or curse: lab vs gain one knowledge token
-> reveals shelter or ruins: lab vs cantrip
-> reveals anything else: cantrip vs cantrip

so, case #1 and #2 vagrant is clearly better, and case #3 they're identical.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:29 pm »

Thanks for the input!  What about Heretic?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:47:51 am »
+1

This expansion introduces Knowledge tokens.  In general, there is a theme of knowing what's coming next, and doing things methodically.

Rules for Knowledge tokens:

-Before drawing cards at the end of Clean-up, you may spend any number of Knowledge tokens.  Reveal that many cards from your deck.  Discard however many you like, and put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.
-After this, but still before drawing cards, you have a second opportunity to spend any number of Knowledge tokens.  If you do, look through your discard pile, and put that many cards from your discard pile on top of your deck.
-Finally, draw your hand, and end your turn.

(It's possible the second time spending them might be too strong, but I'm not sure if the first time is strong enough)

Why have 2 options for the same token? If the first effect is strong enough, you don't need the second one - if not, you could just go with the second option only.
I think it would be nicer to be clear about what this token does.

Heretic
$5 - Action-Attack

You may trash a card.  If you do, take a Knowledge token.  Each other player returns 2 Knowledge tokens.  If they do not, they gain a Curse.

It is a self-counter in two ways:
- It can trash Curses.
- It takes tokens to avoid gaining Curses.
So, no good because it is kind of a must-buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.