Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Temporum  (Read 52005 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 05:39:46 pm »

While we're on the subject of nitpicks, I have a few more about the game, but they're all about the components. The arrows between times are tiny, as has been discussed to death on BGG, and that's going to be fixed in the next printing.

Oh, any idea when that's happening?  Maybe I should just wait, given my backlogged library.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »
+1

While we're on the subject of nitpicks, I have a few more about the game, but they're all about the components. The arrows between times are tiny, as has been discussed to death on BGG, and that's going to be fixed in the next printing.

Oh, any idea when that's happening?  Maybe I should just wait, given my backlogged library.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17623430#17623430

This is where Jay mentions that they will be fixed on reprint. Not sure when it will happen. BUT he also says they'll have extras for those who want them, so you could buy the game now and then ask for the new arrows when the reprint happens.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »
+1

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17623430#17623430

This is where Jay mentions that they will be fixed on reprint. Not sure when it will happen. BUT he also says they'll have extras for those who want them, so you could buy the game now and then ask for the new arrows when the reprint happens.

You can sub in french fries for the time being.  I hear the ones at McDonald's are actually made of Styrofoam, so they should preserve well enough in the box.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 10:47:23 am »

It is $40 CAD at Board Game Bliss.  Is this a reasonable price?

I know very little about the game, but it's getting enough praise here that I am highly, highly interested.

It's still $35 at CoolStuffInc, where I got it. I guess that's the same as 40 CAD. It seems like a good deal to me, MSRP is $50; though I feel like it should be $40. I'm thinking that board games in general are just more expensive than they were a few years ago; it seems like $40 used to be the standard default; now there's a lot more that are $50.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 01:38:34 pm »
+4

On the RGG site, March 31st is given as the reprint date. I don't know how close that will turn out to be.

Probably those other games are backlogged for a reason though. What you need is something fresh.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 04:12:08 pm »
+3

Probably those other games are backlogged for a reason though. What you need is something fresh.

Good to have a completely unbiased opinion.  ;)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »
+2

On the RGG site, March 31st is given as the reprint date. I don't know how close that will turn out to be.

That marketing savvy.

That's not that far off.  I think I will wait on it.  If it makes you feel better, I am sure I will get it eventually unless something crazy happens, like time travellers come from the future and tell me that I can't buy Temporum because it will begin a chain of events that eventually culminates in the downfall of humanity and the start of the oppressive regime of superintelligent feline conquerors.  But I might buy it even then.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 05:24:54 pm »
+1

That's not that far off.  I think I will wait on it.

Bear in mind that this first run of Temporum was delayed by about a year. Hopefully the next run won't have that kind of delay, but I think it's pretty optimistic to actually expect it by the end of March. Unless you want to wait until at least June, I'd bite the bullet and get it now before this run sells out completely.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2014, 05:39:24 pm »

I hope some of them make it over here before stock runs out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »

That's not that far off.  I think I will wait on it.

Bear in mind that this first run of Temporum was delayed by about a year. Hopefully the next run won't have that kind of delay, but I think it's pretty optimistic to actually expect it by the end of March. Unless you want to wait until at least June, I'd bite the bullet and get it now before this run sells out completely.

That's a good point.  I'll keep it in mind.  I typically buy from Board Game Bliss now, but they only offer free shipping with specific games, or else a flat shipping rate of ~$10.  I think I could stand to wait until June, if only because it means they may put up a free shipping game that I am interested in, or I may build up a big enough order to make the flat rate negligible.  Right now, the only things I am interested in are:

- Temporum
- Bang: The Dice game (as a gift)
- 7 Wonders: Babel (but I'm startnig to lean away from it because I haven't gotten much play from it recently and not much from Cities either)
- Colt Express (currently sold out, and it's only a maybe... it does look neat though)

In the meantime, I'd be happy to get more plays of Keyflower, Dead of Winter, Kemet, Cyclades, Among the Stars, The Ancient World, Progress... yeah. :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2014, 05:43:47 pm »
+7

In an alternate timeline, Donald X has recently released his new game which is set in a restaurant.  Players are indecisive customers trying to come to a decision about what they should order for each of four courses.  They will gain influence within their social circle as they change their mind about what dish would make a good main course, and of course if we have that then desert has to be one of these two options, nothing else would do!  The first release is set in a Japanese restaurant.  The game is called Tempura.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:48 pm »
+6

In an alternate timeline, Donald X has recently released his new game which is set in a restaurant.  Players are indecisive customers trying to come to a decision about what they should order for each of four courses.  They will gain influence within their social circle as they change their mind about what dish would make a good main course, and of course if we have that then desert has to be one of these two options, nothing else would do!  The first release is set in a Japanese restaurant.  The game is called Tempura.
W. Eric Martin thought the medieval theme had been done too much, and argued that Dominion should have a restaurant theme. [Before it was published.]

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »

W. Eric Martin thought the medieval theme had been done too much, and argued that Dominion should have a restaurant theme. [Before it was published.]

There is probably a reason of why the medieval theme was done so much.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »
+1

There is probably a reason of why the medieval theme was done so much.

...Are you seriously implying it's because game designers are boring and unimaginative people? Gosh soulnet that's rude.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 11:02:07 am »

I played a game of this last night against my wife and it was the first IRL game I've played in a long time where I just wanted to quit midway through. I don't mind losing, especially in real-life games with friends, but this game was really demoralizing. She thwarted my plans almost every turn. This isn't an indictment against the game itself, but I really, really suck at it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »
+2

I played a game of this last night against my wife and it was the first IRL game I've played in a long time where I just wanted to quit midway through. I don't mind losing, especially in real-life games with friends, but this game was really demoralizing. She thwarted my plans almost every turn. This isn't an indictment against the game itself, but I really, really suck at it.

Strange. I haven't yet had a game where anyone was more than a few turns away from winning when the game ended.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »

Strange. I haven't yet had a game where anyone was more than a few turns away from winning when the game ended.

I accidentally kept setting her up to foil me. First age was Late Jurassic, second ages were Imperial China and Plague. So with Late Jurassic and Imperial China both letting you do any of the three basic Actions, there was lots of flexibility in the timeline. Anyway, I kept going up to late Jurassic to do stuff in order to keep her from having access to Imperial China and Savagery (in Age 4), both of which were great combos with the Think Tank she played first turn. But that just let her jump on over to Plague, which made me discard my last remaining card. One of the only zones that cared about who ruled it was the French Revolution, smack in the middle of Age 3. I ruled there pretty much the entire game, but it didn't matter because Plague kept making me discard the one card I could have played the next turn. And yet I kept forgetting it would happen! GRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:41 am »

OK, at least I won the last game pretty handily. We started on Communist Utopia, so first turn I played a Gang of Pickpockets and then another card, which drew me another card from the pickpockets. After that I pretty much sailed to victory.

I'm a bit worried that Temporum can too often be decided by what you draw from the player deck, but I'm too new at the game to be sure that's the case.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 11:08:14 am »

I played a four player game and a two player game recently. The four player game really dragged on, but maybe that's because it was the first time playing it for all of us. The two player game was a lot faster, because we knew the rules and, well, there were fewer turns.

Also, Gang of Pickpockets is really good. Especially with explorer.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »
+1

I'm a bit worried that Temporum can too often be decided by what you draw from the player deck, but I'm too new at the game to be sure that's the case.

I have decided that I actually like the randomness of the deck because it makes different players want to pursue different strategies.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2014, 11:07:06 pm »
+4

I have decided that I actually like the randomness of the deck because it makes different players want to pursue different strategies.
Excellent. Everything is going according to plan.

Obv. you can get a lucky draw. Gang of Pickpockets turn one in Communist Utopia, that's pretty ideal. I am pretty sure that playing well is rewarded too though.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2014, 02:08:20 am »
+1

Got a chance to try this out. We played some 3-player games, and are still figuring it out. I actually haven't played other Donald X games apart from Dominion and Greed, and of those two, this reminds me more of Greed, in that the game proceeds at a more-or-less steady pace, where there is a par value per turn that you're trying to outperform. This is a game of accumulating small edges, not of preparing an explosion like Dominion often is (but not to say that you can't prep mini-explosions here too!).

Even after several plays, I still feel like I don't understand how to play well, which is nice. Although I've figured out the value point of view (cards and crowns are worth roughly $4 each, and a turn's par value is roughly $8 net), a blind pursuit of value can lead to an imbalanced resource distribution that may be difficult to quickly convert into crowns to actually win the game.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2014, 10:06:15 am »
+1

Played a game with ancient greece and the time IV card that gives you 2 coins for every card in your hand. Spent the first 8 or 9 turns mostly just drawing cards and praying nobody had a militia until I had 17 in hand, then went to that time IV place twice for 68 coins. Since I drew so many cards I was able to cash it all in and win in four more turns. Is 15 turns a normal game length? It was a couple turns faster that what my opponents did, at least. Seems to me this game if often about building a strategy around time IV cards, which is neat. I definitely wish there were more of them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:08:49 am by liopoil »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2014, 11:39:50 am »

The first game I played of this was very engine-y. I got two Gang of Pickpockets (draw card when play card) very early, one Explorer (get $1 when draw card), and then I just sat in time 3 for a long time and played cards until I could win with 4 scores. I didn't really use the board at all, just the player cards. Still, another person was just a turn away from winning. I wasn't very efficient though, lots of cards and money left at the end.

The only real blowout I've had was a 2p game with Primitive Paradise (puts $2 on all zones, first visit to that zone alone you get the money). My opponent let me get a lot of these free monies at the start and then I was getting all the nice ruling bonuses throughout the game. All the other games I've played have been 1 turn margins, which is very nice.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:44:03 am by Mic Qsenoch »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »

Played a game with ancient greece and the time IV card that gives you 2 coins for every card in your hand. Spent the first 8 or 9 turns mostly just drawing cards and praying nobody had a militia until I had 17 in hand, then went to that time IV place twice for 68 coins. Since I drew so many cards I was able to cash it all in and win in four more turns. Is 15 turns a normal game length? It was a couple turns faster that what my opponents did, at least. Seems to me this game if often about building a strategy around time IV cards, which is neat. I definitely wish there were more of them.

Sounds like your opponent should have gone out of his/her way to keep you away from Nanotech Wonderland! :D I've yet to make good use of that zone, so it's cool to see that it can pay off sometimes.

I played a game with my wife last night where I played a Secret Society right away (when you score a card, draw a card). From that point on, I focused on keeping Space Age (Score a card. Then if you rule at least two Times, you may score another card.) real as much as possible. It was on the far left side of Age IV, but luckily all the zones leading down to it were "do anything" zones (Ancient Greece, Pax Buddha, Summer of Love), so I had a lot of flexibility in adjusting the timeline.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.