Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Temporum  (Read 52003 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Temporum
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

I will move to the US in a month. I am already thinking this may be the first non-necessity I buy. Please tell me it will be on Isotropic.

Come and visit me, then you can play it for "free."
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »

Those quotation marks kind-of freak me out. If you live in San Francisco or the bay area, I will gladly accept the offer.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 02:20:16 pm »

Those quotation marks kind-of freak me out. If you live in San Francisco or the bay area, I will gladly accept the offer.

I was referring to air fare.  Sadly, no, I live on the opposite side of the country.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »
+1

Just played a round of this.  Oh man, this is a fun game.  Have to echo Gendo's sentiments.  I won the game with a Barbarian Rush from my huge hand.  The only question we had was 'does the game end when the deck runs out of cards?'  I couldn't find the answer to this in the rulebook.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 10:59:53 pm »

Just played a round of this.  Oh man, this is a fun game.  Have to echo Gendo's sentiments.  I won the game with a Barbarian Rush from my huge hand.  The only question we had was 'does the game end when the deck runs out of cards?'  I couldn't find the answer to this in the rulebook.

Found it in the rulebook: "When the Player Deck runs out, shuffle the discard pile and set it face-down as the new Player Deck."

Just played my first 2 player game. Still good with 2. I have a feeling it's going to be like Dominion, where 2 player is more strategic and competitive. One thing that's very cool is that in all 3 of my games, when a player won, at least 1 other player was 1 or 2 turns from winning. Of course, these are games between people who are all very new to the game.

I found one small thing to be a bit confusing in the rules, and that's the definition of "visiting." During the steps of a turn, it describes step 2 as moving to the zone you want to go, then step 3 as "visiting" the place, which means "following the instructions for that zone." Based on this, you would think that to "visit" a zone doesn't involve moving to it; it means simply performing the instructions on the zone. However... when various effects tell you to visit a different zone than the one you're in, the faq for those specific cards clarify that to visit a zone you first move there, then do the instructions. So if "visit" means "move and follow instructions", then why do the steps of a turn separate "move" and "visit" into 2 steps?

Also, I pulled off the Anubis Statuette / Information Age interaction/combo. This caused a confusing rule question... Anubis Statuette says that after you visit the zone you choose, you move your marker to the real zone in that time. But Information Age caused me to visit (and thus move to) other zones. So at the end of it, I was in a different time in a real zone. Does Anubis still move me back to the time where I chose to visit in the first place, in the real zone in that time? It seems not, because the Anubis FAQ says "if the player is in an unreal zone.." But it is a general rules question... why is the Anubis FAQ correct there? What stops the Anubis's normal text of "move to the real zone in that time" from happening? Has Anubis lost track of your marker?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 11:00:39 pm »

Is Barbarian Hoard the one that lets you discard X cards for X points? I won one of my games with that card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »

Is Barbarian Hoard the one that lets you discard X cards for X points? I won one of my games with that card.

Yeah, that one.  I kind of drew it at random and couldn't believe my luck; it was just the thing I needed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 11:29:24 pm »

Yeah, that one.  I kind of drew it at random and couldn't believe my luck; it was just the thing I needed.

When I had it, it was in my hand for a while, and I had 2 copies of "when you score a card, draw a card" in play. So I spent a couple turns just scoring low-value things (as I had very little money) to increase my handsize.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 01:36:58 am »

Also, I pulled off the Anubis Statuette / Information Age interaction/combo. This caused a confusing rule question... Anubis Statuette says that after you visit the zone you choose, you move your marker to the real zone in that time. But Information Age caused me to visit (and thus move to) other zones. So at the end of it, I was in a different time in a real zone. Does Anubis still move me back to the time where I chose to visit in the first place, in the real zone in that time? It seems not, because the Anubis FAQ says "if the player is in an unreal zone.." But it is a general rules question... why is the Anubis FAQ correct there? What stops the Anubis's normal text of "move to the real zone in that time" from happening? Has Anubis lost track of your marker?

I probably shouldn't speak for Donald but I get the impression he's softened his stance on "the rules are all on the cards full stop." The text, especially on Zone cards, is much briefer and seems just a hair less rigorous than in Dominion. Inquisition for instance has the same interpretation issue as Torturer from Dominion ("can I pick the choice that's impossible to carry out?") with less careful wording. Even the rulebook concedes Inquisition is an "exception to the usual rules," which I take to mean "This FAQ supersedes the card text."

If this is so, it's kind of understandable. Making the rules perfectly clear on the cards is a nice ideal to strive for, and obviously you don't want to stray too far from it, but I guess experience shows that no matter how carefully the card is worded, people will still screw it up until they read the manual (or someone explains it to them).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:42:39 am by RD »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:08 am »
+2

Just played my first 2 player game. Still good with 2. I have a feeling it's going to be like Dominion, where 2 player is more strategic and competitive. One thing that's very cool is that in all 3 of my games, when a player won, at least 1 other player was 1 or 2 turns from winning. Of course, these are games between people who are all very new to the game.
It plays a bit differently with each number of players. With 2 players you just desperately want to stop the other player from getting ahead; they score a card, you score a card to try to nullify any benefit for them. With 3 players there's less of that but it's still harder to rule times than with more players. With 4 players it's easy to rule times and you often can't just stop someone by yourself, you just co-rule. With 5 players it's easy to rule times but not quite as easy as with 4. And then the path of history is more controllable with fewer players.

I found one small thing to be a bit confusing in the rules, and that's the definition of "visiting." During the steps of a turn, it describes step 2 as moving to the zone you want to go, then step 3 as "visiting" the place, which means "following the instructions for that zone." Based on this, you would think that to "visit" a zone doesn't involve moving to it; it means simply performing the instructions on the zone. However... when various effects tell you to visit a different zone than the one you're in, the faq for those specific cards clarify that to visit a zone you first move there, then do the instructions. So if "visit" means "move and follow instructions", then why do the steps of a turn separate "move" and "visit" into 2 steps?
The concept of "visit" was something I was aware of needing to state clearly and I tried to and well there it is. Things that tell you to visit a zone move you there. Moving on your turn is a separate step, that seems good, and then visiting normally doesn't move you because you're already there. I wouldn't combine moving and visiting for your normal turn because on your turn you move in the way you move on turns, rather than in the way you move due to Anubis Statuette or Information Age.

The intention is that Anubis Statuette just moves you back to reality. In retrospect it should say "your Time" rather than "that Time." Obv. this interaction isn't especially rare; Information Age is just the kind of place you want to go with Anubis Statuette.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:28 am »
+2

I probably shouldn't speak for Donald but I get the impression he's softened his stance on "the rules are all on the cards full stop." The text, especially on Zone cards, is much briefer and seems just a hair less rigorous than in Dominion. Inquisition for instance has the same interpretation issue as Torturer from Dominion ("can I pick the choice that's impossible to carry out?") with less careful wording. Even the rulebook concedes Inquisition is an "exception to the usual rules," which I take to mean "This FAQ supersedes the card text."

If this is so, it's kind of understandable. Making the rules perfectly clear on the cards is a nice ideal to strive for, and obviously you don't want to stray too far from it, but I guess experience shows that no matter how carefully the card is worded, people will still screw it up until they read the manual (or someone explains it to them).
I wouldn't say that I've softened any stances. There's a basic conflict between wanting "friendly" rules and "precise" rules. The fewer card interactions you have in your game, the more you should lean towards friendly. At a certain point though friendly is unacceptable, you have to be precise because rules questions will come up. You do have to fit your text on the cards though.

You are quoting the .pdf; that "exception" business was added by an editor and I got them to take it back out. I am looking at a physical rulebook, it does not have it. Inquisition is not an exception.

I think my big mistake in the card wordings is "another." "When you play another card, draw a card" should be something like "Every time you play a card other than this, draw a card." It's clarified in the rulebook, but sometimes someone sees the printed card and thinks that the rule just happens once ever.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:33 am »

I will move to the US in a month. I am already thinking this may be the first non-necessity I buy. Please tell me it will be on Isotropic.

Where to?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 01:31:37 am »

We played another round today and seemed to run in to a stalemate situation.

Age 3 had Police State in the Middle (it prevents you from moving up to Age 2), and the two timelines reaching under it led to Nanotech Wonderland (which gains you money based on cards in hand) and the card that makes you lose your hand and gain money based on crowns in Age 4.

The problem was that neither of us had the option of drawing cards, and all our hand cards did was gain money.  We couldn't exit Age 3 by going back in time and could only go between the two ages I mentioned above.  Was there some way out of this we couldn't see?  We just rerolled the board.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:39 am »
+1

We played another round today and seemed to run in to a stalemate situation.

Age 3 had Police State in the Middle (it prevents you from moving up to Age 2), and the two timelines reaching under it led to Nanotech Wonderland (which gains you money based on cards in hand) and the card that makes you lose your hand and gain money based on crowns in Age 4.

The problem was that neither of us had the option of drawing cards, and all our hand cards did was gain money.  We couldn't exit Age 3 by going back in time and could only go between the two ages I mentioned above.  Was there some way out of this we couldn't see?  We just rerolled the board.
Police State only stops you from going backwards in time from Police State itself. If you get put into Police State (or go there intentionally), you go to Nanotech Wonderland next. Maybe that's a dead turn, or maybe you have some cards in hand, whatever. Then on your next turn, you are not in the Police State, you are in Nanotech Wonderland, so you can go anywhere.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:32 am »

Hmm.  I think we must have a misunderstood rule.  If I understand correctly, it's only possible to travel through the real timeline, which cannot be changed from zone 4.  The way we had it, the only option was to travel between police state and those two age 4 cards since we could only alter the time lines beneath police state.  And those options only gave money or took it respectively.  Police state just plays cards, but we didn't have those.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:49 am »
+2

Hmm.  I think we must have a misunderstood rule.  If I understand correctly, it's only possible to travel through the real timeline, which cannot be changed from zone 4.  The way we had it, the only option was to travel between police state and those two age 4 cards since we could only alter the time lines beneath police state.  And those options only gave money or took it respectively.  Police state just plays cards, but we didn't have those.
When it's time to move, you can move to any real zone - you can jump from time 4 to time 1. You have a time machine!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 09:22:14 am »

When it's time to move, you can move to any real zone - you can jump from time 4 to time 1. You have a time machine!

Wow!  What a concept!  That changes everything.

Sorry, as you knew already, I can't read.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 04:42:26 pm »
+2

I got this on Friday and have played about 8 games so far. Mostly 2-player, but one 3-player.

I enjoy playing it and would like to play more, so it must have something going for it. I have no handle on how "strategic" or "deep" the game is because as of now I am really awful at it. I would like to see more Time 4 zone cards, so I'm hoping we see the expansion sooner rather than later (or never).

I don't know if it will ever happen, but I would really like an isotropic or Goko-style online version. By that I mean something with easy desktop online multiplayer (not just a phone app). I'm not sure that I'll be able to play enough in real life to really sink my teeth into it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 05:02:34 pm »

I have played a bunch more times (all sadly just 2 player) but haven't had an unfun game since learning all the rules properly.  I do agree with LF that the game could use more Age IV cards, but at this point it's sort of a nitpick.  Age of Cats and Communist Utopia make me grin.

We are very happy to have the female meeples, by the way.  It's a small touch but a nice one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 05:09:24 pm »

It is $40 CAD at Board Game Bliss.  Is this a reasonable price?

I know very little about the game, but it's getting enough praise here that I am highly, highly interested.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 05:24:17 pm »
+1

I know very little about the game, but it's getting enough praise here that I am highly, highly interested.

I paid nearly $40 for it and I would call that a reasonable price, though your definition of what is reasonable may vary. I'm sure I'll get more than $40 of entertainment from it. I also bought some wooden shape blocks to use as replacement arrows between ages, so my actual cost was $55, though I will be giving the rest of the blocks to my kid(s) in a few years.

I have played a bunch more times (all sadly just 2 player) but haven't had an unfun game since learning all the rules properly.  I do agree with LF that the game could use more Age IV cards, but at this point it's sort of a nitpick.  Age of Cats and Communist Utopia make me grin.

We are very happy to have the female meeples, by the way.  It's a small touch but a nice one.

While we're on the subject of nitpicks, I have a few more about the game, but they're all about the components. The arrows between times are tiny, as has been discussed to death on BGG, and that's going to be fixed in the next printing. But another gripe I have is with the crown tokens that you move along the scoring track. I believe in the prototype they were cubes, and I think that would be a much better solution. If they were rectangles or cubes, it would be way easier to slide multiple along the track and line them up without them going everywhere. It would also be way easier to tell at a glance who ruled each era. Right now I cannot quickly see the difference between e.g. 7 crowns and 8 crowns unless they're lined up meticulously, which is a pain to do. So yeah, squares embossed with little crowns would be nicer.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 05:31:40 pm »
+1

I paid nearly $40 for it and I would call that a reasonable price, though your definition of what is reasonable may vary. I'm sure I'll get more than $40 of entertainment from it. I also bought some wooden shape blocks to use as replacement arrows between ages, so my actual cost was $55, though I will be giving the rest of the blo

I'm just concerned that I'm starting to have too many games to play them all.  I have at least 3 games I haven't ever played, and several more that I haven't played much at all.  I wish I had a group that met more often.

I can't seem to find any reviews for Temporum other than the reviews here.  A video review would help me a lot.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:08 pm »
+1

I paid nearly $40 for it and I would call that a reasonable price, though your definition of what is reasonable may vary. I'm sure I'll get more than $40 of entertainment from it. I also bought some wooden shape blocks to use as replacement arrows between ages, so my actual cost was $55, though I will be giving the rest of the blo

I'm just concerned that I'm starting to have too many games to play them all.  I have at least 3 games I haven't ever played, and several more that I haven't played much at all.  I wish I had a group that met more often.

I can't seem to find any reviews for Temporum other than the reviews here.  A video review would help me a lot.

I wish I had a group...  :'(
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »
+1

This one was on BGG.   Not a bad review of it.

I recommend the game as long as you have people to play with. (though tbh I played it 1 on 1 solo a few times and it was surprisingly fun that way too)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.