Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: pseudo Demonic Tutor: "Hound"  (Read 17029 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: pseudo Demonic Tutor: "Hound"
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »

Setting aside the possibility of being too close to Wishing Well, I've been thinking about a non-digging version of this concept.

+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal the top X cards of your deck. Put a revealed copy of the named card into your hand and discard the rest.

Huh, what if you combine it with overpay ability, so it has that as an on-buy effect and you can overpay to increase X.

(Maybe the card itself can do something different on play.)

I'm not sure if you're serious or making a joke about Doctor/Herald. Putting a card into your hand with an overpay is awful. You can't even play more Treasure cards at that point.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:33 pm »

Setting aside the possibility of being too close to Wishing Well, I've been thinking about a non-digging version of this concept.

+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal the top X cards of your deck. Put a revealed copy of the named card into your hand and discard the rest.

Huh, what if you combine it with overpay ability, so it has that as an on-buy effect and you can overpay to increase X.

(Maybe the card itself can do something different on play.)

I'm not sure if you're serious or making a joke about Doctor/Herald. Putting a card into your hand with an overpay is awful. You can't even play more Treasure cards at that point.

No I just wasn't thinking about how Dominion works. 

I guess you could, like, set it aside and draw it next turn.  But... yeah.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:55:48 pm by Witherweaver »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 03:57:42 pm »

Oh, yeah. That could work. At that point it's a pretty different type of thing, but perhaps a direction you could go.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

Oh, yeah. That could work. At that point it's a pretty different type of thing, but perhaps a direction you could go.

I guess another thing you could do is have it give coin tokens and let you spend coin tokens to reveal more cards from the top of your deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 04:01:46 pm »
+1

Anyway, the idea is to make it so you can't dig for any card, or else it can fail, or else there are conditions... Ideally, I would like a card that can dig for different cards each turn.

What if you flip it around and make it more similar to Hunting Party? 

Disco Dog
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand and name a card that is not in your hand.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the named card.  Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

You can find the same card for multiple Disco Dogs if you can play one copy before looking for the next.  However, this requires village support for terminals.

If this is too powerful or if you really want to make them name different cards, the restriction could be extended: "name a card that is not in your hand or in play" (or, "in your play area" if you don't want opponents' durations to get in the way).  Of course, that still allows you to dig for multiples of things that remove themselves from play... you could instead say "name a card that is not in your hand or that you have played this turn".

One other concern is that this would be a deck-flipping Tunnel-enabler.  Maybe that's OK.  If not, you could just say "put the rest into your discard pile".

Edit:

You could also move it into Advisor territory.

Insanity Wolf
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Name two differently named cards.  The player on your left chooses one of them.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the chosen card.  Put it into your hand and put the rest into your discard pile.

Edit 2: Clarified "Insanity Wolf" to have you name two differently named cards.  Not sure if just saying "different cards" is sufficient, being that could be interpreted as two different copies of the same named card.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:11:35 pm by eHalcyon »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 04:26:28 pm »

Anyway, the idea is to make it so you can't dig for any card, or else it can fail, or else there are conditions... Ideally, I would like a card that can dig for different cards each turn.

What if you flip it around and make it more similar to Hunting Party? 

Disco Dog
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand and name a card that is not in your hand.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the named card.  Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

You can find the same card for multiple Disco Dogs if you can play one copy before looking for the next.  However, this requires village support for terminals.

If this is too powerful or if you really want to make them name different cards, the restriction could be extended: "name a card that is not in your hand or in play" (or, "in your play area" if you don't want opponents' durations to get in the way).  Of course, that still allows you to dig for multiples of things that remove themselves from play... you could instead say "name a card that is not in your hand or that you have played this turn".

One other concern is that this would be a deck-flipping Tunnel-enabler.  Maybe that's OK.  If not, you could just say "put the rest into your discard pile".

This looks too powerful, odds are you always want to dig for the card you are missing in your starting hand to kick off your turn (village when you have a smithy, smithy when you have a village, etc.), so this is very close to being a pure DT. The condition about cards in play is nice, because it becomes a dead card later on, but I am not sure if it is enough?

Edit:

You could also move it into Advisor territory.

Insanity Wolf
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Name two differently named cards.  The player on your left chooses one of them.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the chosen card.  Put it into your hand and put the rest into your discard pile.

Edit 2: Clarified "Insanity Wolf" to have you name two differently named cards.  Not sure if just saying "different cards" is sufficient, being that could be interpreted as two different copies of the same named card.

I thought about this before, and it could work, it's clean. It is a bit close to advisor itself for my taste, though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:57 pm »
+2

I think the biggest potential issue with Hound is that the digging could take forever, especially if you're digging for a card you don't have (because your memory is bad or you want to activate all your Tunnels). Disco Dog and Insanity Wolf don't address those issues, so given the three digging options, I like Hound best. It's the simplest.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

I think the biggest potential issue with Hound is that the digging could take forever, especially if you're digging for a card you don't have (because your memory is bad or you want to activate all your Tunnels). Disco Dog and Insanity Wolf don't address those issues, so given the three digging options, I like Hound best. It's the simplest.

Mmm, I guess that could be fixed by using scavenger's option: put your deck on your discard pile, then look through your discard pile.

I saw you mention your card before. Still not sure what X should be to make it balanced? Or have you just been too busy playtesting "other" cards to find the appropiate X? :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 05:12:46 pm »
+1

I remember having considered a card identical to hound without name as a 3/4$ card before. I don't remember why I decided not to try it though. It's even possible that I just forgot about it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:57 pm »
+1

Noooooo silverspawn changed his avatar

What's the point of f.ds anymore

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 11:39:55 pm »
+1

Well at least Awaclus never changes his avat...wait... :'(

Edit: He changed it back! All is not lost.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:51:53 pm by markusin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:17 am »
+1

Greyhound
$2 - Action-Timed
+1 Action
Name a card and set the timer.  Reveal cards from your deck until time runs out or you reveal a copy of the named card, putting it into your hand.  Discard the rest.

From some expansion with a timer gimmick.  Make it a 15 second timer?  I don't know.  A digital timer would be better so you can pause it when reshuffling, and it would allow for different increments for different cards as appropriate.

I am genuinely curious if such a card could work.  It might lead to wrecked cards from overzealous players though.

Another idea: a card that only lets you search your deck without reshuffling, or your discard, not both.  Only one or the other.  You'll look through fewer cards on average!  (Oh, but I suppose this would amount to the same thing, just with more time trying to recall whether the card you want is in your deck or if you've already passed it... so I guess this wouldn't work at all.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:35:41 am by eHalcyon »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:57 am »
+1

How shall i ever be able to remember who that guy with the pony avatar is?? Of all the worst things that could happen, this is the. Worst. Possible. Thing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 09:07:38 am »

It's nice that you care, but I'd prefer to be identified with this avatar rather than the last, because it has far more personal relevance.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:03 am »

Of all the worst things that could happen, this is the. Worst. Possible. Thing.

They can't all be the worstest thing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 09:51:32 am »

It's nice that you care, but I'd prefer to be identified with this avatar rather than the last, because it has far more personal relevance.

In case that refers to me, i actually made a joke  :P
Anyhow, maybe i should change my avatar, too?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 11:41:24 am »

no it referred to popsofctown

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 11:44:29 am »

no it referred to popsofctown

Ah i see. I personally like your new avatar better, by the way.

Edit: Damn phone i'm using!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:46:35 am by Asper »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »
+1

Barber
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action
Name a card. The player to your right reveals a copy of that card from his hand (or reveals a hand with no copy of the card). If she did, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a copy of that card; put it in your hand and discard the rest.

Hmmm, lots of problems with it, but it might be a start...
Since this is pretty brutal if your opponent doesn't have the card, how about: "The player to your right reveals his hand. Choose a card from it, and reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a copy of that card; put it in your hand and discard the rest." Playing with this might be fun because when you have a terrible hand, at least your opponent suffers also when she plays Barber2, kinda like Possession except without the possibility of losing a good hand.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »

Barber
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action
Name a card. The player to your right reveals a copy of that card from his hand (or reveals a hand with no copy of the card). If she did, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a copy of that card; put it in your hand and discard the rest.

Hmmm, lots of problems with it, but it might be a start...

Since this is pretty brutal if your opponent doesn't have the card, how about: "The player to your right reveals his hand. Choose a card from it, and reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a copy of that card; put it in your hand and discard the rest." Playing with this might be fun because when you have a terrible hand, at least your opponent suffers also when she plays Barber2, kinda like Possession except without the possibility of losing a good hand.

The main problem I have about that version (and the reason why I phrased the card the way I did) is that you get free knowledge of your neighbour's cards, everytime. That's a strong effect, and it might be the reason why you are buying Barber in the first place. I don't want the card to waste time digging if that's not the main reason you are playing it.

The effect looks innocent enough, but that's a tremendous effect in games with attacks, especially if reaction cards are involved, and it breaks PPR: kowing whether the game is going to end or not is a really strong effect, and some people + board combination might lead to analysis paralysis as they scramble to get as many points as possible during what they know to be their last turn.

Thus, I make it so that knowledge has a hefty cost: you could have dug for a card instead.

Also note that my version can't fail more than once per turn, unless the player has bad memory, so there's that going for it. And well, I am tentatively pricing it at $2, after all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:02:30 pm by pacovf »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »
+1

I don't think seeing an opponent's hand is tremendous. Sometimes useful, but not that big a deal.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »

I don't think seeing an opponent's hand is tremendous. Sometimes useful, but not that big a deal.

I phrased myself wrong. It's not tremendous, but it can be. In those cases, you will be buying barber for the revealing (a cantrip for $2, can't go wrong there), and then wasting time by digging when you aren't even interested in digging. A card better need the digging to justify its existence, or else you should scrap the digging or the card, me thinks.

There was a thread discussing the worth of playing with the hand revealed, and SheCantSayNo thought that knowing your opponent's cards was a much stronger advantage than being First Player. That's not super strong evidence about how strong the effect is, but it's definitely impactful.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »
+1

I'd suggest to have it be the player to your left, though. If you take your right neighbor, there will be a max of four people (besides you) playing before him that know his hand. If you take the one to your left, he'll always be the next in line, no matter how many players.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:21 pm »

I'd suggest to have it be the player to your left, though. If you take your right neighbor, there will be a max of four people (besides you) playing before him that know his hand. If you take the one to your left, he'll always be the next in line, no matter how many players.

That's actually a very good point!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »
+1

I phrased myself wrong. It's not tremendous, but it can be. In those cases, you will be buying barber for the revealing (a cantrip for $2, can't go wrong there), and then wasting time by digging when you aren't even interested in digging. A card better need the digging to justify its existence, or else you should scrap the digging or the card, me thinks.

There was a thread discussing the worth of playing with the hand revealed, and SheCantSayNo thought that knowing your opponent's cards was a much stronger advantage than being First Player. That's not super strong evidence about how strong the effect is, but it's definitely impactful.

SCSN is talking about always having that info on every hand for the entire game. That's very different. The card has opportunity cost to buy it, and the chance of the info being useless on the turns you play it. Even on turns where it would be useful, you might not receive it until after it would have helped.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.