Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion Team World Cup II ?  (Read 11650 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Dominion Team World Cup II ?
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:11 am »
+1

I've heard there is interest in doing this again.
The big problem I see is the time conflict with the Dominion League. I guess a lot of players wouldn't want to play 2 matches a week or am I wrong?
I would like to hear some feedback.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion Team World Cup II ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:19:37 am »

I'm in if this happens.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:27:37 am »

As I said before: because I'm Dutch, I probably won't make it into the team, but I'd love to watch this.

About the conflict with the League, I don't know. It might be possible to pause the League for this? Or nobody should care about playing multiple matches a week, as the people playing are Dominion-nerds anyway?

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:07 am »

The league is a competition that is always running, and I don't think it should stand in the way of any other competitions. I don't think other competitions should stand in the way of the league either.
In my opinion the league should just be ignored when planning other competitions.

I'd love to join, but I'm most likely the only one from Denmark again.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:19:37 am »

I didn't even remember that the first one happened. I remember people signing up and stuff, but who won ?

Edit : If there's a French team and they need someone to fill the team I'll play.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:25:15 am »

I didn't even remember that the first one happened. I remember people signing up and stuff, but who won ?

Take a guess.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 07:27:51 am »

Oh yeah, I remember it now.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:40:46 am »

I might be up for it, either for UK, (Former Yugoslav Republic of) Macedonia, or Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:44:19 am »

I don't remember living in a Former Yugoslav Republic.  Oh wait, I'm reading that wrong.

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:22:40 am »

i would love to play it. For me it would be better to stop the league during the tournament. More easy to schedule the matches and it gives more visibility at the competition. In all the sports leagues stop during a World cup! (well not sure dominion is a sport but it give more strength to my point of view!)

i didnt play in the first dominion team world cup. But something i didint like was the idea to make 2 teams for Japan and USA. i understand there are lot of  players in this countries, but for me thats not logical in such a competition. I cant imagine a soccer world cup with 3  teams from brazil, 3 teams from Germany, 2 teams from netherlands...
My idea : one country, one team... no more!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:25:22 am »

i didnt play in the first dominion team world cup. But something i didint like was the idea to make 2 teams for Japan and USA. i understand there are lot of  players in this countries, but for me thats not logical in such a competition. I cant imagine a soccer world cup with 3  teams from brazil, 3 teams from Germany, 2 teams from netherlands...
My idea : one country, one team... no more!

Wasn't it necessary to make the tournament happen? There weren't enough countries.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 11:52:58 am »

It might be possible to pause the League for this?

Definitely don't pause the league for this. I have no interest in another World Cup, and would hate to see the league stop for it. I'm sure there are others like me. That said, for those that want to do both (and that's great!), the idea behind the League is that the scheduling is flexible enough it should be able to accommodate something like this with no changes.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »
+2

I'd really love to play it again but I'd really hate for the League to be paused for it (which will affect more people than will likely sign up for this), to the point that I'd rather not see this organized if that's what it would take. So I have a strong preference for both taking place at the same time.

If only some people expect scheduling difficulties they can just not sign up; if a lot of people expect or turn out to experience difficulties there's the easy solution of extending the League by a week or two to give them more flexibility without hurting the other League players too much.

In all the sports leagues stop during a World cup! (well not sure dominion is a sport but it give more strength to my point of view!)

That would have been a truly marvelous comparison had playing an international Dominion match required you to travel a few thousand miles and have your body adjust to a vastly different time zone ;)

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 02:36:54 pm »
+1

As someone who would put myself out there for the US but probably not make the team, I'm with SCSN on this.  I'd be happy to see it happen whether I got to play or not, but since it's likely that I wouldn't be playing, I'd rather not pause league play for it.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Monsieur X

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »

In all the sports leagues stop during a World cup! (well not sure dominion is a sport but it give more strength to my point of view!)

That would have been a truly marvelous comparison had playing an international Dominion match required you to travel a few thousand miles and have your body adjust to a vastly different time zone ;)

You insinuate that we - dominion players-  are not athletes??? 

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »
+1

You insinuate that we - dominion players-  are not athletes???
I was already wondering why I lost three pounds...

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »
+1

I don't think this is true. In most sports the league seasons last a whole year. They don't take a break just because there is a World Cup that year. They may have been scheduled so you don't have any matches during the World Cup, but the World Cup doesn't in any way affect when the league(s) start and stop.

Monsieur X

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 06:53:51 pm »

I don't think this is true. In most sports the league seasons last a whole year. They don't take a break just because there is a World Cup that year. They may have been scheduled so you don't have any matches during the World Cup, but the World Cup doesn't in any way affect when the league(s) start and stop.

Well, honestly, i did not understand all your argument, but i find it very elegant. One point for you.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »

Hm, I'm a bit worried that so few different people responded so far. Maybe the interest isn't that high after all. Maybe it's best if I start signups and then we'll see how big the interest is and if there are enough for a tournament. What do you think?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:16:35 pm »

The problem with the World Cup is there just isn't enough representation from various countries, and some countries have a lot of competition while others don't.  Like, given the demographics of the board it makes more sense to have 4 USA divisions than to include most countries.  Otherwise, most of the board that might be interested in playing just gets left out by default and ends up not caring about the whole thing.

I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, mind, it just doesn't seem like a great fit.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »

Actually if the Qatar World Cup is shifted to winter they will have to reschedule the European leagues and it will cause scheduling problems for the preceding and following year too. This is one reason why the Qatar world cup is such a headache for FIFA.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »

Hm, I'm a bit worried that so few different people responded so far. Maybe the interest isn't that high after all. Maybe it's best if I start signups and then we'll see how big the interest is and if there are enough for a tournament. What do you think?
This might just be a forum that people don't look at quite as much?  I bet if you post in General Discussion you'll get a lot more attention. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

simval

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:36 pm »

I might be interested in playing in this. I'm not that good, but I read some articles and play a lot... so why not ?

I'm Canadian !

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 07:28:57 am »

If something like that is going to happen, i would gladly participate indeed!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

I guess I'm not good enough to play you big boys, but I'd be happy to join cited team Germany 3 or just run as sub-sub-substitute.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.