Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pillage/Chapel/Tournament  (Read 3786 times)

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Pillage/Chapel/Tournament
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:58:32 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Scrying Pool, Storeroom, Bureaucrat, Moneylender, Navigator, Tournament, Catacombs, Mystic, Pillage
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20141120/log.51375572e4b02905fc7288f1.1416523057631.txt

Okay, so this combo was on the board and I opened 5/2, which looks to me as basically being gg. I also discarded opps Chapel T3, so that was pretty neat. But I think I overchapeled somewhat, as I ended up using spoils for getting silver. Should I get a Tournament with CCCC asap, even if it means no chapeling? I had Pillage/Hovel/Necropolis/C/C T3, so I could have gone for trashing only my Overgrown Estate in T4, getting Tournament with the drawn copper, but I'm slow on trashing in this scenario. I think in retrospect it is still worth it, as I really felt I had a shelter/copper ratio which was too equal to get a Tournament reliably, so I had to use my Spoils on T5 anyway.

Could I have done this any better, in the aforementioned way or another way?

The rest isn't really interesting as I still easily won the province rush, and opp. resigned T10

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: Pillage/Chapel/Tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »

I don't understand your T6 at all. You had Necropolis, Spoils, Chapel, Copper, Copper; and you...passed the turn??? You should be using that Spoils, and trashing something. If you felt you really needed that Necropolis still, you could trash even just one Copper and buy a Tournament, or trash them both for a Silver; but I would trash everything and buy a Silver with the Spoils.

And on turn 7 you made the same mistake, holding Necropolis, Spoils, Chapel, Silver, Copper: you trashed nothing, and played the Silver+Copper to buy a Silver! At the very absolute minimum you should spend the Spoils as well to get a Gold instead.

You should be rushing to get the Spoils out of your deck and convert it to something long-lasting; it looks as if you were hoarding it in the hopes of getting a fast Province, but for every turn you draw it and don't spend it, it might as well be a Curse. The early boost that Pillage gives your economy is wasted if you won't use it!

Amac

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »
+1

I was too fixated on getting my economy up and running in different ways while still searching for the fast Province, I guess. But yeah, just two silvers in my deck and buying silver, gold, province, tournament or something should be pretty neat as well, so my T6 was just something like motion blindness, couldn't change my plan. Something I'm very good in at chess as well...

In T7, my Chapel was discarded. But maybe Spoils->Gold was better. Not sure if it was that much better though.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »

I absolutely would not open pillage there, or pretty much ever. pillage is one of the most overbought cards in the game.

I will admit that it's less terrible here, because your opponent relies so heavily on one key card; and yes, if you do get his chapel, then it's worth it. but if you don't, it's really bad. Don't open pillage.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:02:53 pm »

I absolutely would not open pillage there, or pretty much ever. pillage is one of the most overbought cards in the game.

I will admit that it's less terrible here, because your opponent relies so heavily on one key card; and yes, if you do get his chapel, then it's worth it. but if you don't, it's really bad. Don't open pillage.

chapel mystic?

I was also debating potion here and get a mystic tournament deck. I think that would be really good.

Ya I might go chapel mystic and next 4 get a potion.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »
+2

This seriously looks like an SP board.

Amac

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:36 am »

I don't like Pillage normally, but I thought it was pretty much key to win the race for the prizes. Scrying pool with Mystic, Tournament, whatnot, seems nice too, but too slow in getting the prizes first I guess?

Or am I too focused on prizes and overrating them?

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 01:47:29 am »

Trusty Steed and Princess might be useful as prizes go. That's pretty much it. With Chapel, Scrying Pool, and Mystic's and Tournament's virtual $, you can probably get a very successful and reliable self-drawing deck up with great economy. Trusty Steed's main benefit would be the actions, enabling discard-and-draw shenanigans with Storeroom. Princess, meanwhile, is a fantastic source of +buy, particularly on double province turns. But Diadem and Bag of Gold might as well be junk cards in a scrying pool deck. As for Followers, the scrying pool draw makes the handsizes moot and the trashing with chapel makes the junking moot.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:01 am »
+1

Trusty Steed and Princess are great prizes in this kingdom, but if you focus on getting those prizes without building your deck, then the effort is going to be mostly wasted.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 05:15:09 am »

I agree with going Mystic here. If you want fast economy, Mystic gets you +$2, and will get you +$3 about half the time just by naming Copper near the start of the game. With Pillage, you won't see any benefit to your own deck until the Spoils comes around a whole shuffle later, and even then it doesn't help you unless you spend it. Spending a Spoils to get a Gold is usually a good move, you're just trading a one-shot $3 treasure for a permanent $3 treasure. By not spending the Spoils and buying a Silver instead, you may actually be decreasing your money density (by the end of the game, at least).

Scrying Pool is probably a little slow to win the Prize race, but the +Buy and added cycling from Storeroom make it a little more feasible. It's been a little while since I've played, but is Chapel a must-open on 4/3, or would Potion/Storeroom be OK, picking up the Chapel on T3/4?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:53 am »

I don't like Pillage normally, but I thought it was pretty much key to win the race for the prizes. Scrying pool with Mystic, Tournament, whatnot, seems nice too, but too slow in getting the prizes first I guess?

Or am I too focused on prizes and overrating them?

no, I don't think you're too focused on prizes. Prizes are really good here, especially because TS is the only village. followers is useful too. But I don't think pillage is the best card to get there.

I see two things on this board; one: a trim deck which rushes prizes, two: a SP deck. I'm leaning towards the former, but it's not clear. mystic/chapel is probably the best opening.

And I don't really think you can delay chapel for a storeroom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.