Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: A reference for f.ds lexicon and inside jokes  (Read 28394 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
A reference for f.ds lexicon and inside jokes
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:30:10 pm »
+21

First, I feel I should explain this thread for everybody.  It sometimes occurs that in a thread, someone will make reference to something once said in another thread, or even on an early page in the same thread, generally to elicit laughter and/or groans.  These references could be called "inside jokes" or possibly just "f.ds lexicon" at this point, but for a newcomer, or a recently returned, they could feel strange, out of place, or confusing.  In order to ensure these refenences remain as funny as possible, I feel strongly that a thread explaining any and all posts, comments, phrases, words, etc. that could be considered within the f.ds lexicon needs to exist, and it now does.

Please add to this reference thread at your leisure.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: A reference for f.ds lexicon and inside jokes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:32 pm »
+28

ashersky is making this thread much funnier by explaining it's purpose. It is particularly humorous because the purpose of this thread is to explain jokes. He is making a subtle meta-joke on our jokes. Now that I have explained this to you, you will appreciate the hilarity of his post much more.

Now I will explain the above joke. Here on f.ds we have decided that jokes are made much funnier when they are completely explained. Whenever someone doesn't get a joke, and sometimes even when everyone does, someone will thoroughly explain that joke in a completely serious tone. In the first paragraph I explained ashersky's joke, which was already a hard-to-catch joke about explaining jokes about explaining jokes. Now there is one more layer of meta joke, and anyone who may have missed the subtlety or did not know that explaining jokes made them funnier will find it much more funny because they understand it. You're welcome.

The above paragraph is not a joke, by the way. If it were you can rest assured that I would explain it to you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »

First, I feel I should explain this thread for everybody...  In order to ensure these refenences remain as funny as possible, I feel strongly that a thread explaining any and all posts, comments, phrases, words, etc. that could be considered within the f.ds lexicon needs to exist, and it now does.

I was going to respond to this part specifically, but liopoil beat me.  Instead I'll link what is almost certainly the oldest in-joke on f.DS--old enough that it predates the forum entirely:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Blue_dog
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

We are all WanderingWinder.  I can't remember the first post we said that, and I think it was actually originally everybody but me was WanderingWinder.  But I have become one with the hive mind since then.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »
+11

I'm too lazy to find references for all of these.  I grabbed them for some.

Celestial Chameleon -- CC is a f.ds user who may very well have the highest respect-post ratio in the entire forum.  This is largely due to a mind boggling puzzle he posted: empty the supply in 4 turns.  He is sometimes referred to as a god of Dominion... at least if perfect shuffle luck is available.

Edge Case -- In strategy discussion, it is often convenient to make generalizations.  People say "this is true" when they actually mean "this is usually true".  In such discussions, players often pointed out specific circumstances where the rule of thumb does not hold true.  These are often interesting scenarios to discuss, and they are also a good reminder that Dominion is a game where odd and unexpected situations can arise.  A specific card or action might be terrible to the point where you can't imagine a scenario where you'd want it, but you can bet that such a scenario exists.  In the forum, users now take it as a challenge to find these edge cases whenever people suggest something as certain truth or take something for granted.  This happens even for non-Dominion discussion.

Mine/Mint -- These two cards are only one letter off from the other.  Not only that, they are both actions that interact with Treasure cards.  It is easy to confuse one for the other.  When isotropic was around, people often bought one thinking it was the other.  People sometimes intentionally mix them up in discussions as a joke.

Scout -- This is commonly considered one of the weakest cards in the game and is thus often made fun of.  Often, this is done by praising its virtues.  It has a sub-reference...

Scout Combos -- Sometimes people will comment on new cards and fan cards by considering how they combo with Scout.  I believe this was first done by Robz888 in one of the threads for the original Mini Set Design Contest, but it's possible that this trend first began with previews for Dark Ages cards prior to the release of that expansion.

Is it Moat? -- For a while, "find the missing card" puzzles were very popular in the Puzzles sub forum.  f.ds user Ozle would very often guess Moat.

You make your own shuffle luck -- f.ds user AdamH coined this phrase, which reminds us that we can always play better.  Instead of blaming every loss on luck, we should instead consider how we could have played better.

They can't all be the best ______ ever -- This comes from a statement that was made by Donald X.  People had complained about Explorer and he responded that "they can't all be the best card ever".

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:48:06 pm by eHalcyon »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:55:26 pm »
+1

Scout -- This is commonly considered one of the weakest cards in the game and is thus often made fun of.
Well, sort of. The running gag is that it is one of the best cards and so we talk about how every card combos with it. I think Robz888 can be credited with starting this one, way back in the isotropic era. Which reminds me:

Isotropic is a website where you used to be able to play dominion with all the published cards for free. It was also very reliable. When it went down a lot of people were pretty upset. There are a lot of jokes about that period, they include:

"Wait, isotropic is going down????!???!"
"IsotropicWasBetter" (specifically, this is the name of a relatively recent forum user who has taken the isotropic love to what almost feels like a satirical level)
General complaining about goko or making fun of making fun.

There once was a thread "decline of civility on isotropic" which declined in civility quite quickly. Sometimes people reference that incident, generally in the form of "decline of civility on __". Anyone have a good example of this?

A fan expansion titled "Dominion: Gunpowder" was posted on the forum. When people suggested improvements, the poster eventually got, well, really angry. One of the specific cards was bomb, which costed one gunpowder, a new one-shot currency to replace potions. When you played bomb, it trashed itself and another card from your hand. This card is extremely useless and has become the go-to example of a really bad card.

Whenever a new thread is posted in the introductions forum, inevitably somebody, most likely sudgy, will suggest that they check out the forum games subforum.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:09:27 pm by liopoil »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:47 pm »
+2

I was going to respond to this part specifically, but liopoil beat me.  Instead I'll link what is almost certainly the oldest in-joke on f.DS--old enough that it predates the forum entirely:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Blue_dog

"With the release of Hinterlands, many members of the Dominion community had questions on how exactly Trader interacted with Ironworks." Many members? Bullshit! I asked that question and I demand satisfaction! >:(  :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:49:47 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:56 pm »

Scout -- This is commonly considered one of the weakest cards in the game and is thus often made fun of.
Well, sort of. The running gag is that it is one of the best cards and so we talk about how every card combos with it.

I think that's actually a separate thing.  I added notes on it.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:21:29 pm »
+2

Mine/Mint -- These two cards are only one letter off from the other.  Not only that, they are both actions that interact with Treasure cards.  It is easy to confuse one for the other.  People sometimes intentionally mix them up as a joke.

Wasn't this also because the Isotropic pictures were really similar?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »

Mine/Mint -- These two cards are only one letter off from the other.  Not only that, they are both actions that interact with Treasure cards.  It is easy to confuse one for the other.  People sometimes intentionally mix them up as a joke.

I no longer remember!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:25:22 pm »

I can't believe that liopoil post only has 3 respect.

The Mine/Mint remains a mystery to me. I understand how it's a thing, but I have no idea how it got/stayed so popular.

I'm surprised we don't have a running joke about the endless point counter debates we used to have. There was even a whole scandal in the first IsoDom (or some kind of Isotropic tournament) where emails exchanged between participants were then revealed on the forums.

You should remember, because we then threw a fit and decided to quit the tournament. Good times.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:27:38 pm by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »
+3

The guy who sets these things up never gets any respect.

I'm the eternal Scottie Pippen to the world's Michael Jordans.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:35 pm »
+2

The Mine/Mint remains a mystery to me. I understand how it's a thing, but I have no idea how it got/stayed so popular.

It was a lot funnier on Isotropic because so many people used the text interface and mistakenly bought Mines.  Now it's considerably less funny.  (I never thought it was that funny in the first place myself, but I only ever mixed them up like once)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »

It was a lot funnier on Isotropic because so many people used the text interface and mistakenly bought Mines.  Now it's considerably less funny.  (I never thought it was that funny in the first place myself, but I only ever mixed them up like once)

I guess that could happen. I used the text interface too and never had that problem but I guess I can see it happening.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »

I guess that could happen. I used the text interface too and never had that problem but I guess I can see it happening.

There must be Mine/Mint analogues in other languages -- I feel like they've been posted.  Those could be useful here.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:50 pm »

I'm still adding things to my post when I think of them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:46:11 pm »
+6

I no longer remember!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »
+1

Mine/Mint -- These two cards are only one letter off from the other.  Not only that, they are both actions that interact with Treasure cards.  It is easy to confuse one for the other.  When isotropic was around, people often bought one thinking it was the other.  People sometimes intentionally mix them up in discussions as a joke.

In English, "mine" is also a pronoun used to refer to objects that belong to or are associated with the speaker. A common technique is to interpret the word, when used as a pronoun, as a reference to the Dominion card, and then substitute the word with the similar-looking "mint."

EDIT: also, depends on the kingdom.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:55:37 pm by dondon151 »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:29 am »
+12

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:34 am »

ashersky is making this thread much funnier by explaining it's purpose. It is particularly humorous because the purpose of this thread is to explain jokes. He is making a subtle meta-joke on our jokes. Now that I have explained this to you, you will appreciate the hilarity of his post much more.

Now I will explain the above joke. Here on f.ds we have decided that jokes are made much funnier when they are completely explained. Whenever someone doesn't get a joke, and sometimes even when everyone does, someone will thoroughly explain that joke in a completely serious tone. In the first paragraph I explained ashersky's joke, which was already a hard-to-catch joke about explaining jokes about explaining jokes. Now there is one more layer of meta joke, and anyone who may have missed the subtlety or did not know that explaining jokes made them funnier will find it much more funny because they understand it. You're welcome.

The above paragraph is not a joke, by the way. If it were you can rest assured that I would explain it to you.

It is not enough to explain the joke: you also have to point out that you are explaining the joke, and that you have thusly made it funnier.

mmm... can't think of any other in-joke right now.

Also, maybe add a short usage description in the OP? I've heard Ashersky likes categorizing stuff anyway :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:48:58 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 01:50:48 am »
+2

There's an in-joke page on the wiki that has some of the older ones. Stuff like "Marin is unbeatable if Throne Room is in the kingdom", "Cellar is a bad card because Warehouse is a card".
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 04:47:21 am »
+2

I didn't get any of the Bomb jokes.

Can anyone explain?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 05:13:09 am »
+3

I didn't get any of the Bomb jokes.

Can anyone explain?

Somebody posted a fan expansion called Dominion: Gunpowder. The cards weren't very good, and were generally very weak. The main gimmick of the expansion was Gunpowder, which was a treasure that trashed itself on play and gave 1 Gunpowder. Bomb was

Cost: 1 Gunpowder
Trash a card from your hand.
Trash this card.

When people pointed out how bad this card was, and how generally bad the expansion was, the original poster basically ignored all comments and kept posting updates to the expansion. Then sent PMs to theory to try to ban KingZog3 for talking about games they played on Goko. Then got banned, made a new account, and verbally attacked every critic before getting banned again. It was an incredibly silly blaze of drama and it's worth a read-through if you have the time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:14:15 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 05:20:04 am »
+6

The thread is here. You should read it, it's worth it.

But it's not so much that he ignored feedback, he was a master at talking around it. We said something like "Bomb is almost strictly worse than Island" and he'd go on a huge explanation about his exact thoughts of Bomb in relation to the rest of the expansion, and the theme, and a bunch of completely irrelevant stuff. it's really impressive.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:59 am »
+5

Visit the forum games: Initially, whenever someone introduce themselves, there was some forum game enthusiast that invited them to the forum games subforum (subforum games?). This has gone meta, with people warning newcomers that they will be invited to forum games, saying that they should stay away from forum games, and endless variations referencing invitation to forum games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.