Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: A reference for f.ds lexicon and inside jokes  (Read 28399 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: A reference for f.ds lexicon and inside jokes
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2014, 03:46:59 pm »
+1

Is it Moat? -- For a while, "find the missing card" puzzles were very popular in the Puzzles sub forum.  f.ds user Ozle would very often always guess Moat.

Fixed that for you, although the moat thing goes back to one of my first posts where I posted about my irrational hatred of moat...

Not always, at least twice someone has created a puzzle just for the purpose of making Moat a correct answer and both times you disappeared from the forums.

HAHA I KNOW!

Ozle, why did you desert me?  I spent a whole 20-30 minutes just for you!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »
+1

Silver=Curse -- There is a running joke that silver is basically as bad as a curse. It probably began in earnest when SCSN suggested that embassy had an on-gain attack, and is used to varying degrees of seriousness throughout the forum.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »

Silver=Curse -- There is a running joke that silver is basically as bad as a curse. It probably began in earnest when SCSN suggested that embassy had an on-gain attack, and is used to varying degrees of seriousness throughout the forum.
I thought it was Gold = Curse

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »
+1

I think what initially led to Silver=Curse was Stef Ambassadoring two Silvers (or suggesting that someone else should have done that?). But it's usually completely right though, buying Silvers early might be good but getting rid of them later is also very good.

SCSN was the one who said that Soothsayer junks all players.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »
+2

it is absolutely not good, but pretending to play a super high action density engine on most boards for some reason looks skillful to a lot of people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2014, 07:41:23 pm »

it is absolutely not good, but pretending to play a super high action density engine on most boards for some reason looks skillful to a lot of people.

Yes it is. The more Silvers you have, the longer it takes before your engine works and the faster your deck starts to suffer from greening. It's super important for your engine to work, and then if Silver is your best payload option, you probably didn't want to build the engine in the first place. Sometimes there's very good trashing available and you don't really mind having a couple of Silvers in your deck, but that's not too common.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:36 pm »

Yes it is. The more Silvers you have, the longer it takes before your engine works and the faster your deck starts to suffer from greening. It's super important for your engine to work, and then if Silver is your best payload option, you probably didn't want to build the engine in the first place. Sometimes there's very good trashing available and you don't really mind having a couple of Silvers in your deck, but that's not too common.

Silver is not such a bad payload if you have good drawing. Especially if you are gaining the Silver and not wasting opportunity cost buying it (Jack, I am looking at you).

Regarding the origin, there were plenty of people (including me) watching this live stream (I think it was Adam's stream) in which the player who was clearly winning should have Ambassador Silvers to the opponent just to make sure he/she would never catch up in Ambassadoring back the really awful stuff. The opponent resigned shortly after anyway.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2014, 01:12:29 am »

Silver is not such a bad payload if you have good drawing. Especially if you are gaining the Silver and not wasting opportunity cost buying it (Jack, I am looking at you).

Jack is good for engines because it improves your economy in the early game very significantly, while it doesn't really even junk your deck with the Silvers. You can usually get an engine working very smoothly pretty fast when Jack is in the game, so that alone is a reason to go for Jack, and since you already went for Jack anyway and your engine is now working very smoothly, it depends on a number of factors if you want to keep playing Jack or not. Bureaucrat is, despite being the best card in Dominion, awful for engines, and Squire, which is good for engines for other reasons, still shouldn't be used for gaining Silver most of the time. EDIT: But Hermit can be good for the Silver-gaining too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:53:40 am by Awaclus »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2014, 07:43:39 am »

It's a curve.

In the early game, you're happy to have one or two Silvers to help you hit $5.
In the middle game, you're struggling to connect pieces together and wanting to shuffle as often as possible, so the Silvers start to get in the way.
In the late game, when you're greening pretty badly, you don't want to shuffle as often and Silver is a helpful card again.

One of the beautiful aspects of Dominion for me is this curve which goes from crappy deck to smooth engine deck to crappy green deck again.
One of the hardest parts is finding the right moment to pull the trigger to throw in everything but the kitchen sink to get over half the VPs or stay ahead so you can end the game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2014, 08:38:55 am »

In the middle game, you're struggling to connect pieces together and wanting to shuffle as often as possible, so the Silvers start to get in the way.
In the late game, when you're greening pretty badly, you don't want to shuffle as often and Silver is a helpful card again.

I think you pretty much never want to have the 3rd part happen.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2014, 09:18:55 am »

I don't usually have a problem with the 3rd part. The game usually ends while I'm still in the 2nd part.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2014, 09:33:48 am »

I don't usually have a problem with the 3rd part. The game usually ends while I'm still in the 2nd part.

Yeah, I think that's what should happen most of the time if you're doing it right. Well, you shouldn't be struggling to connect pieces together when the game ends, but if you have to green so badly it stops your engine from working, then you either built your deck wrong, had bad luck, or the engine was a bad idea in the first place.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:31 am »

Yeah, I think that's what should happen most of the time if you're doing it right. Well, you shouldn't be struggling to connect pieces together when the game ends, but if you have to green so badly it stops your engine from working, then you either built your deck wrong, had bad luck, or the engine was a bad idea in the first place.

Or it's one of those games where anyone can threepile at anytime so you just have to keep buying green to end your turn ahead in VPs.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2014, 11:53:34 am »
+1

Or it's one of those games where anyone can threepile at anytime so you just have to keep buying green to end your turn ahead in VPs.

Or you did really well and got to the third part by taking the majority of available VP. You're already guaranteed victory but your opponent won't resign, and your engine was built and triggered to get just enough VP, so it struggles to vacuum up the remainder.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2014, 02:10:53 pm »
+3

I get it.

It's cool to pretend every board is an engine which doesn't need any Treasures and ends on 3 piles of action cards gone (maybe Curses).
This is often not the case. If you find you're never struggling with part 3, you're probably doing something wrong. Overbuilding an engine and never getting any VPs is a rookie mistake.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »

I get it.

It's cool to pretend every board is an engine which doesn't need any Treasures and ends on 3 piles of action cards gone (maybe Curses).
This is often not the case. If you find you're never struggling with part 3, you're probably doing something wrong. Overbuilding an engine and never getting any VPs is a rookie mistake.

Probably more of a semi-experienced player mistake. Unless you count Village Idiot as "overbuilding an engine".
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ด。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2014, 06:13:50 pm »

I get it.

Don't build the engine if you're planning on struggling with part 3.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »
+1

I get it.

yes!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »

Bumping this, because I didn't know it existed, and other new members might be confused sometimes.

WOODCUTTER!?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »
+1

Bumping this, because I didn't know it existed, and other new members might be confused sometimes.

WOODCUTTER!?

Woodcutter?  I hardly know her!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.