Author Topic: Abyss  (Read 1404 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Abyss
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:30:08 am »

Have anyone played this? I got to try it at my parent's place this week. And I really liked it. First of the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The pictures are super awesome. Some components aren't super high quality, but nothing is bad enough to remark on. I'm pretty sure it would be better if you looked up someone explaining the game instead of me trying to explain it to you if you don't know the game.

I have only played it ~8-10 times, but so far, it's probably one of the games I like the most that I've tried recently. Definately worth checking out. It's 2-4 players, and I've tried it with 2, 3 and 4 players, and I think it works very well with any number of players.

D3Games

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • D3 Games: Tabletop Gaming Store
Re: Abyss
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:13:05 pm »

There is no debate that the artwork is amazing. I also like how there are five different colored boxes for it. The gameplay has been critiqued as not living up to the artwork, but it is definitely a solid game.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:41:24 am »

I don't get that critique though. The artwork is superb, therefore the game will most likely be the best game ever! It's not how games usually works, right?

The game is really good. When people realize that it's not the new Chess/MTG/Twilight Struggle, they will see that it's a really good game. Just not the godsend they, for some reason, expected it to be.

My point is. People thought it would be a 11/10. When it turned out to be like a 9/10 they were let down and it felt like it was a 5/10.

The different boxes are a nice touch. Although I wasn't allowed to get the one I wanted, due to my girlfriend finding it too disturbing.  :-\

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:58:18 am »

As I understand it, the epic art made people expect a big epic game. Instead, they got a light-medium euro that is a bit dry (pun intended) without the art. The game is good, but not what many expected or wanted given the pre-release hype, the theme and the spectacular art. Even Dominion could be rated a 1/10 if you go into it expecting a 6 hour political war game of intrigue and betrayal.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.