Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Should I start streaming?  (Read 10167 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Should I start streaming?
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:28 pm »
+3

I really want to make a twitch channel and start livestreaming some of my Dominion games. I realized long ago that I talk to myself as if I'm in a let's play anyway, so it wouldn't be any different for me to start narrating the games I play. It would probably be useful for me to get tips in real time and to help along any newbies I might pick up.

At the same time, though, I'm hesitant. Who would even watch? I'm not a seasoned player and don't have nearly the reputation of, say, Adam Horton or WanderingWinder. And while my rating is steadily going up, that doesn't change the fact that I still only own the base set. I don't know if anyone would want to watch me fumbling around live when they could be watching someone in the top ~20 on YouTube who really knows what they're doing.

There's also the matter of me being female and this being the tail end of gamergate. Opening up a twitch channel might put me in danger of harrassment and such, especially since I'm not much of a gamer outside of Dominion (something that would delegitimize me in the eyes of a lot of sexist gamers). At least there's a way to delete a twitch account as a failsafe, but who knows if the damage will have already been done if I decide to take that option.

So... do you think I should stream? Why/why not? Any advice (besides what's in Adam's thread)?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: Should I start streaming?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:24 pm »

I say if you want to try it go for it. doesn't really hurt in trying.

I'd probably tune in a few times. Sometimes watching people that arn't the best in the world are more fun. It all depends on the attitude and other things.

Also I'm guessing the people that would be tuning in would be people from this forum most likely. And I feel like there is a very low percentage here that would harass you for being a girl as it doesn't seem like anyone is doing it here. And if there is an odd person harassing you you can easily just block them but I feel like you won't need to do that very often.

I know I made a stream for a while playing things like starcraft and chess. And even though I only got like 7 viewers usually I enjoyed it and had fun with it.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »
+3

If you are good at streaming, people will watch.  You can assign mods to ban any harassers, but this is a pretty level headed community so it probably won't be a problem.  The cards are more sexist than the audiences in all likelihood.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:51 pm »

Just do it.

If you're interested in streaming, try it out. See how it feels. Then if you like it, do more. Odds are that you won't get many viewers because building a userbase is really, really hard, but posting when you're going on and having a set schdedule on when you go on will help.

I'd say it's entirely okay to have a stream that isn't at highest level play. The point is more about showing off what you think is a pretty cool game, and if you end up recording the process from a new player to a strong one, I think it'd be really interesting to see the progression.

I've pretty much stopped my Dominion streams, but that doesn't mean I regret them in any way. It's just not something I can consistently keep up right now.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »
+5

When I started making videos I didn't have a reputation. I saw WanderingWinder doing it and I wanted to give it a shot. Mostly because I wanted to be able to have people comment on my play so I could get better.

The more you do it, the more people will watch. If you're good at streaming or you enjoy it more people will watch. If you keep going and find you enjoy it, you'll certainly get more out of it. I'm not really all that special -- I was around Iso level 25-30 when I made my first video which was way worse than anyone else who was making videos at the time. Making videos/streaming has never been anything more to me than just something I do in my spare time, I do it when I can and when I feel like it and if I'm too busy then I don't do it.

If you stick at it you'll find what you're looking for eventually; whether that's lots of followers/viewers, improvement at the game, or just something to do while hanging out and chatting with people on the internet.

If people harass you because you're female, they're idiots and you can deal with them. The community here has been nothing but supportive to me and there's no doubt in my mind they would be supportive of you.

Don't be afraid to try something because you think other people will be idiots. Don't be afraid to try something because you don't think it's going to work out. Don't be afraid to try something because you think other people are better at it. You should at least give it a shot, you've given several reasons why you'd be great at streaming; you should totally do it  :)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »

Would you be okay with people giving feedback on your play, Elanchana?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:29:32 pm »
+2

Would you be okay with people giving feedback on your play, Elanchana?
Absolutely. I'm kind of bad with actually taking advice that was given to me in one context and putting it into another, but yes yes and more yes. I want to get better, after all.

@Harrassment discussion: I'm so thankful that the f.ds community is so supportive. You guys are awesome. I was more talking about if some random dudebro comes into the chat and is like "omg fake gamer girl u bitch gtfo!!!1!11" So thanks for telling me about the blocking option. I'll keep that in mind.

Sooooo yeah, I guess I'll take a stab at streaming. I'll download the stuff tomorrow. Is there a way to take a look at the chat while only streaming the window with Goko on it or do I have to break out my second screen?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:35 pm »

Sooooo yeah, I guess I'll take a stab at streaming. I'll download the stuff tomorrow. Is there a way to take a look at the chat while only streaming the window with Goko on it or do I have to break out my second screen?

It will depend on what streaming software you use, but I think basically every package that exists will have this option. OBS is what a lot of us use, and it certainly supports this. You can broadcast your whole screen, but it's easy enough to stream just a single window, or a rectangular portion of a single window. Then in another window you can be viewing your Twitch dashboard, which will have all the user chat and optionally also include the video you're streaming.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:50:18 pm »
+4

At the same time, though, I'm hesitant. Who would even watch? I'm not a seasoned player and don't have nearly the reputation of, say, Adam Horton or WanderingWinder. And while my rating is steadily going up, that doesn't change the fact that I still only own the base set. I don't know if anyone would want to watch me fumbling around live when they could be watching someone in the top ~20 on YouTube who really knows what they're doing.

If we only wanted to watch top 20 players, we wouldn't be watching AdamH stream.

(BUUUUUUURN! Actually I honestly don't know if AdamH is top 20 or not.)

I do recommend you at least buy a couple of other sets, though. I mean, you're probably going to end up buying them anyway, right???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:52:13 pm by dondon151 »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:57 am »
+3

I think if you're going to stream anything you should do it for yourself, not anyone else. If the stream becomes about pleasing other people then you should be making money from it because it's work. If you're not making any money you shouldn't be worried about what anybody else thinks and you should do whatever YOU want to do, which is what you want I'm sure.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:57:28 am »

Not sure what is intended here, but I would be wary of looking at the chat while actually playing unless you've explicitly gotten permission from your opponent, as that is likely to be viewed as many (myself included) as receiving an unfair advantage. If that's not what you meant then carry on.

If people harass you because you're female, they're idiots and you can deal with them. The community here has been nothing but supportive to me and there's no doubt in my mind they would be supportive of you.

Don't be afraid to try something because you think other people will be idiots. Don't be afraid to try something because you don't think it's going to work out. Don't be afraid to try something because you think other people are better at it. You should at least give it a shot, you've given several reasons why you'd be great at streaming; you should totally do it  :)

This is great, but I'd be wary of dismissing fears of harassment in general. In this particular case, I suspect that you'll be fine, Elanchana, as this is unlikely to reach the greater internet community (sorry), and people on f.ds are generally pretty civil.

However, it's easy as a white male to underestimate the prevalence of harassment and diminish the effect it could potentially have on someone. In general, we are not targets and it doesn't happen when we're around, so it's easy to not see it as being a problem. It's only because I hear about things like street harassment constantly from my female friends that I'm even really aware of it.

But as it probably won't be an issue in this case, this is really a discussion for RSP, and I don't go there, so  :P
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 01:23:25 am »

I'll be sure to keep the chat thing in mind.

I wasn't really expecting for my stream to get many viewers outside the f.ds community - I honestly just want there to be an "everyone" for me to say "hi everyone" to. I have hardly any experience with harrassment myself since I stay inside way too much, but I've heard so many stories that I want to play it safe and have a way out (blocking people or deleting my account) if I need it. Thanks for being understanding.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 04:36:08 am »
+1

If there's something you are doing or not doing because of harassment, then the harassment works. You don't have to let that happen.

I think you should start streaming. For me, the best part about watching streams is talking with other people in the chat and analyzing the kingdoms and the strategies and other stuff together in real time. You can do that even if the streamer isn't top 20. And often it's the case that I feel like watching someone streaming, but nobody's stream is online.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:37:38 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:35 am »

If we only wanted to watch top 20 players, we wouldn't be watching AdamH stream.

Right now I'm #59 on the leaderboard and I think that's pretty generous for me. I've never thought that my audience is watching me because I'm that good.

Not sure what is intended here, but I would be wary of looking at the chat while actually playing unless you've explicitly gotten permission from your opponent, as that is likely to be viewed as many (myself included) as receiving an unfair advantage. If that's not what you meant then carry on.

Unless you're playing a tournament/league match, I think it's important that the default position you take should be to interact with the chat as much as possible (don't be afraid to interact with the chat because you think it's unfair). I think you should make sure your opponent is OK with you streaming, for sure (just putting it in the title of your game is fine, or having your opponent on Skype with you is also a good idea).

I mean, if I'm playing casually, most of the time my opponent will be in the chat anyways, and I usually don't mind if people stream-watch either. Ultimately you should just do what you like.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 09:42:00 am »

A combination of infrequent play and silly mistakes is currently keeping me in the 3000's.  I could be interested in streaming (I recorded videos for YouTube a while back), but how do you get viewers?  Do people just wander on to your channel?  Should I have a strict schedule or something?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:59:58 am »
+1

A combination of infrequent play and silly mistakes is currently keeping me in the 3000's.  I could be interested in streaming (I recorded videos for YouTube a while back), but how do you get viewers?  Do people just wander on to your channel?  Should I have a strict schedule or something?

The master has written a marvellous guide here.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 12:00:16 pm »

Right now I'm #59 on the leaderboard and I think that's pretty generous for me. I've never thought that my audience is watching me because I'm that good.

Unless you're playing a tournament/league match, I think it's important that the default position you take should be to interact with the chat as much as possible (don't be afraid to interact with the chat because you think it's unfair). I think you should make sure your opponent is OK with you streaming, for sure (just putting it in the title of your game is fine, or having your opponent on Skype with you is also a good idea).

I mean, if I'm playing casually, most of the time my opponent will be in the chat anyways, and I usually don't mind if people stream-watch either. Ultimately you should just do what you like.

Really? I would be upset if my opponent was streaming and taking advice from 20 players in the chat. I would also say yes if they asked if it was ok to stream, never once thinking that they might also be reading the chat.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »

Taking advice from the chat, and interacting with the chat are quite different.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »
+1

Taking advice from the chat, and interacting with the chat are quite different.

Well, yeah, but if the chat contains advice, I would say it's pretty difficult to not take advice from it.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »

I don't think interacting with the chat is a big deal if it's not a tournament/league match. I guess it does make the difference that your opponent is more capable of making correct plays than their rating suggests, but that's hardly relevant.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 01:19:33 pm »
+6

Adam plays poorly despite getting advice from the chat.  I don't think it's a real concern most of the time.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »

He also can't pronounce "Vagrant." So really, the chat's useless.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »
+2

My experience has always been that I play way worse when reading the chat just because it takes a lot of mental effort to switch between and process two separate streams of information. It's not trivial to respond to jsh's jokes. And if you play at a reasonable rate the 20 second delay will usually make their advice too late. Plus why would I listen to those scrubs in the chat?

In theory, the chat + streamer could form some superior hive mind, but it doesn't really work that way.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »

Plus why would I listen to those scrubs in the chat?

Exactly, and if someone who isn't a scrub is telling you what to do, it is probably just WanderingWinder being sarcastic.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 01:56:48 pm »

I think yes to streaming, I personally tend to use my chat as feedback for how I can do better, which helps me improve (I've finally got to C league for next Dominion season!!!!). I enjoy watching a variety of people streaming, so would probably watch if I'm free, and I guess quite a few people would think the same.

As long as you're not expecting to get like 30 people in each stream, you should be fine. I've been streaming a few months, and usually get about 5-7 viewers, sometimes fewer. Most of all, you should enjoy streaming- you can only see if you like it by trying it!
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »
+1

My experience has always been that I play way worse when reading the chat just because it takes a lot of mental effort to switch between and process two separate streams of information. It's not trivial to respond to jsh's jokes. And if you play at a reasonable rate the 20 second delay will usually make their advice too late. Plus why would I listen to those scrubs in the chat?

In theory, the chat + streamer could form some superior hive mind, but it doesn't really work that way.

I know when I played chess and had some 2400 people watching and giving me advice you think I would be able to crush people with that advice (I'm like 1400 rating). Somehow I would almost always get confused and end up playing worse trying to switch between what they were saying and what I was thinking. I would end up blundering all my pieces. I ended up doing much better when I started ignoring the advice from the masters.

Was really interesting how that happened
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »

And often it's the case that I feel like watching someone streaming, but nobody's stream is online.

Yeah, let's get 24/7 streaming going.
Greetings,
SirDagen
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.