Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Video Games that You Just Couldn't Beat  (Read 26821 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games that You Just Couldn't Beat
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 06:07:02 am »
+3

Banjo Kazooie - I played it a little bit as a kid and picked it up again not too long ago. I got to Mad Monster Mansion and just got bored with it. I don't understand why people love this game so much. Give me Super Mario 64 any day.

I'm getting my torch and pitchfork.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:13 am »

OH, right. Major'a Mask. That was the one Zelda game growing up I didn't finish. Got through the first two temples and got really bored with it. I hated having to keep re-doing things if I didn't get the sequence right before the end of the third day. It was cute for a while -- the opening of the game was amazing -- but I realized I had better things to do.

I recently played through MM when I got it on virtual console for Wii (for free; it was a club Nintendo promo at one point!!), and I made it all the way through.

It's weird, MM has the best story of all the LoZs but in my opinion was the most frustrating, least fun game to play.

I am all about Skyward Sword. I am a motion control believer. I never had a problem once and I loved that there were fewer enemies and the ones that were there took patience and a deliberate attack to defeat. (I hate hack and slash). In contrast to what someone said earlier, the Cistern was my favorite dungeon -- just WOW. I loved it. It was a shame that the game couldn't have been in HD. It looked dated when it came out. I would totally buy an HD remake of SS if they did something like WW.

But yeah, motion control when done right was amazing. SS, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. How can you go back to just buttons?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 09:45:17 am »

Eh, "Couldn't Beat" and "Didn't Finish" are almost the same.. I mean we could all beat every (beatable) game given time and willingness. 

My main thought with this thread was.. I played a lot of games as a kid in the PC, NES, SNES, Sega, Playstation lines.  Some of them I hit a block that I couldn't figure out at the time, so I moved on and never found my way back to completing them. 

I also remember hitting a really tough boss at the end of Lagoon. I don't remember if I ever got past him.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:52 am »

I also remember hitting a really tough boss at the end of Lagoon. I don't remember if I ever got past him.

God, Lagoon was so awful. No hit detection at all. I can't remember whether I was masochistic enough to beat it as a kid, but it would have been as a rental. I definitely never owned it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2014, 09:56:44 am »

Oh, Witherweaver, I'm in a similar boat with getting almost to the end of Breath of Fire II multiple times. I'm not sure I ever made it quite to the scene you describe, but close. If you ever play Breath of Fire II again, I strongly recommend playing it emulated so that you can use this translation patch. It makes the game so much better. The official translation is just a train wreck.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:18 am »

Oh, Witherweaver, I'm in a similar boat with getting almost to the end of Breath of Fire II multiple times. I'm not sure I ever made it quite to the scene you describe, but close. If you ever play Breath of Fire II again, I strongly recommend playing it emulated so that you can use this translation patch. It makes the game so much better. The official translation is just a train wreck.

I'm tempted to go get an emulator now!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:13 am »

Thinking about Lagoon reminded me of Illusion of Gaia.    Maybe their playstyles similar or I played them around the same time.  I never got stuck on Illusion of Gaia, though, I beat the hell out of it.  That was a fun one.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:17 am »

Eh, "Couldn't Beat" and "Didn't Finish" are almost the same.. I mean we could all beat every (beatable) game given time and willingness. 

Right. Then for me, just Battletoads. The only one I legit. couldn't beat.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:33 am »

Well pretty much every NES game (except the marios) were pretty impossible. Throwing controllers across the room as I'm sure we all did in that era should not be a reaction anyone has, even kids.

That said,  all those arcade games were meant to be really hard like Battletoads, TMNT 2 (which I played all the time but probably never beat), The Simpsons, etc.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:50:28 am by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:30 am »

Yeah I don't remember how far I got with this one, though I'm pretty sure I never beat it.  I hated finite-life saveless progression games where you had to start over from the beginning every time.  I mostly focused on playing RPGs.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:44 am »

I got spacechem a few weeks ago and I'm on the world 4 boss. Love the game, but sometimes it's just so hard.  I have a hard time visualizing how to optimize my programs, but doesn't matter, still so much fun.  I haven't gotten any of the optional missions yet either... I should go play more spacechem

Re: Zelda
Loved wind waker, loved twilight princess, meh on skyward sword.  Never finished skyward sword.  I wanted to get the hylian shield before facing the final boss and the boss run was too hard so I stopped.  MM was kinda cool, but too frustrating. 

Myst:
Yeah, couldn't finish that w/o help.  But they were so cool.  I backed [urlhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction]Obduction[/url] when it was on kickstarter.  Hopefully that's also really good

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:08 am »

Well pretty much every NES game (except the marios) were pretty impossible. Throwing controllers across the room as I'm sure we all did in that era should not be a reaction anyone has, even kids.

That said,  all those arcade games were meant to be really hard like Battletoads, TMNT 2 (which I played all the time but probably never beat), The Simpsons, etc.

Ah,  yeah, the TMNT NES game.  That was hard as hell.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2014, 10:53:53 am »

Oh... getting FFX ultimate weapons almost counts for this.  Fuck that butterfly chasing one.  I got so pissed.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:22 am »

Oh... getting FFX ultimate weapons almost counts for this.  Fuck that butterfly chasing one.  I got so pissed.

Butterfly wasn't hard. Screw dodging lightning bolts.

However I did beat Penance, which was fun.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2014, 11:27:54 am »

I DO remember beating TMNT, however I also remember flinging controllers over it...

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2014, 11:32:57 am »

Of the butterflies, lightning bolts and Chocobo racing I had most trouble with the butterflies.  I think I did everything else, but Zanmato would have been involved in all the cases where Dark Aeons needed shifting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:17 am »

Both of them made me want to kill things.  I gave up on both.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2014, 11:57:00 am »

Of the butterflies, lightning bolts and Chocobo racing I had most trouble with the butterflies.  I think I did everything else, but Zanmato would have been involved in all the cases where Dark Aeons needed shifting.

Racing took me like, 10 tries, but I know I got ridiculously lucky. I could never come close to my record after it was set.

I didn't use Zanmato. I could never figure out the rng that made him tick. Instead I lived inside the Monster cave until I had maxed out everybody's board (except for Riku and Kimahri. Didn't care for the Mixes or "blue magic" mechanics).

I think my record for dodging lightning was 4 though. That was just terrible.

I never beat FFX-2. But that was due to losing interest. I like doing and getting everything. Having to walk the entire world over and over and over each chapter to make sure I'm not missing anything drove me insane. The storyline itself wasn't enough to drive me onward between the hours long gap of exploring (the same places) again and again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:58:07 am by Galzria »

Mafia Record:

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2014, 12:03:35 pm »

So I'm curious why some people love Twilight Princess and some hate it. My girlfriend owns a Wii so I COULD buy it but I'm holding off for now. I watched some of it on youtube and it seems like the beginning of the game just drags on and on and on and I feel like I'd get bored real quick.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:45 pm »

I let FFX stall when I was going through the Monster cave and deleting ALL my sphere's for the +MAX ones in every category.  I was progressing decently, but it takes a while... Maybe when I'm 80 and retired I'll go back to doing that...

FFX-2 I stopped somewhere around one of the final dungeons. 

I'm the same way, I want to go through and max out everything.. Level 99, all items, all equipment, all powers, etc.  That's why the extra games in the later FFs annoyed me.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »

I reference to the original question(games you couldn't beat as a kid)

I know that we* couldn't beat Stanley livingston, the jungle book, and the lion king for snes.

For Stanley Livingston we literally couldn't get past the first screen. You see a little cutscenes, walk off a boat onto an your off on your adventure. Then there is an impenetrable wall that blocked you from progressing. Years later we realized you simply had to walk back on to the boat to get the grappling hook...

Lion king we made it much much much farther though similarly after completing almost the entire game we got stuck on a level that seemingly ended with an impassable ocean of lava. I believe we either needed to reach that point faster or do some kind of role jump to get farther.

Jungle book was just really hard...

*by we I mean robz playing and me watching. I'm strange in that I enjoy watching games possibly more than playing. I am a pretty active watcher though, you best believe robz never missed a Zelda bomb crack on my watch. Discolored wall pixels, I'm all over that!
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2014, 01:39:24 pm »

I didn't use Zanmato. I could never figure out the rng that made him tick. Instead I lived inside the Monster cave until I had maxed out everybody's board (except for Riku and Kimahri. Didn't care for the Mixes or "blue magic" mechanics).

I think my record for dodging lightning was 4 though. That was just terrible.

I never beat FFX-2. But that was due to losing interest. I like doing and getting everything. Having to walk the entire world over and over and over each chapter to make sure I'm not missing anything drove me insane. The storyline itself wasn't enough to drive me onward between the hours long gap of exploring (the same places) again and again.

Zanmato is pretty easy to get: if you Grand Summon Yojimbo and give him some not ridiculously large sum of money then you'll get one within not too many resets.

The Thunder Plains took a while, but are OK once you get into it.  You "just" need to not lose concentration for the 45 minutes or however long it takes.

I've also stalled on X-2 (as well as 8, and everything before 7).

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »
+1

So I'm curious why some people love Twilight Princess and some hate it. My girlfriend owns a Wii so I COULD buy it but I'm holding off for now. I watched some of it on youtube and it seems like the beginning of the game just drags on and on and on and I feel like I'd get bored real quick.

I think part of it is the two different versions. It was built for Gamecube, and in my opinion, that is how it should be played. The motion controls on the Wii version are not perfect, yet, (can't do the hack-and-slash bits as well as with buttons) and the fact that they simply mirrored the entire game to make Link right handed makes the experience a little different, too.

The light/dark thing bothered some but not others.

The beginning of the game (first, say, 45-60 minutes) is a little slow because you are not introduced to the core plot devices right away.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »
+1

I will say one good thing about the Wii version of Twilight Princess: the remote is great for aiming arrows, etc. There's this part in the game where these kids challenge you to hit a post clear across town. When you miss, one of them sells you an item that allows you to zoom in while you aim; basically a scope for your bow. Only I didn't miss the first time, thanks to the Wii-mote's pinpoint accuracy, so the kid never tried to sell it to me. Later in the game I happenned to wander into the shop and I bought the scope then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.