Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Bunch of Duration Questions  (Read 38856 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Bunch of Duration Questions
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2015, 06:54:01 pm »

It's a shame that there's no such tracking mechanism for Mission.

You could always take the Mission event card and put it in front of you.

Nice. I like it.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:50 pm »

Nice. I like it.

I suspect something like this will be covered in the rulebook, similar to the suggestion to make a separate row of played cards for Durations played this turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2015, 08:56:54 pm »

Nice. I like it.

I suspect something like this will be covered in the rulebook, similar to the suggestion to make a separate row of played cards for Durations played this turn.

I am nearly certain it won't. But it's still a handy tracking mechanism that you can use.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2015, 09:08:27 am »
+1

If you call multiple Royal Carriages on the same Duration, do they all stay out with it?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:16 am »
+1

If you call multiple Royal Carriages on the same Duration, do they all stay out with it?
I'd think they'd have to, so that you remember how many times the Duration got played.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »
+2

Yes, they do. You can even call several Royal Carriages on a Hireling. You effectively lose them all for the rest of the game, but it's cheaper/stronger than buying and playing multiple Hirelings.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:54 pm »
+1

Given that you're losing the Hireling anyway, Procession/Hireling sounds like a lot of fun if you have anything to pick up with it. Probably a $7, but maybe a $5 with Ferry.

You lose the Procession as well, but to get the extra Hireling effect plus an extra gain, it seems well worth it.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »

Given that you're losing the Hireling anyway, Procession/Hireling sounds like a lot of fun if you have anything to pick up with it. Probably a $7, but maybe a $5 with Ferry.

You lose the Procession as well, but to get the extra Hireling effect plus an extra gain, it seems well worth it.
Hmmm. Procession = Feast + Hireling² ?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »

Thinking about this more, chains could do it even more efficiently. Procession a Procession, Throne a Throne, or KC a KC to multiply multiple Hirelings while only giving up one multiplier. It wouldn't work with Royal Carriage, though, and it's probably not worthwhile with Disciple.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »

If I were at Disciple with Hireling in the game, I may just wait until Teacher and add one of the other tokens to the Hireling pile.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:31 pm »
+1

What you are implying wouldn't work. The tokens do stuff before you play cards from that pile. You only play Hireling once.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 02:12:04 pm »

If I were at Disciple with Hireling in the game, I may just wait until Teacher and add one of the other tokens to the Hireling pile.

Uh, why?  You only ever play a Hireling once.  Teacher can't give a card extra Duration effects.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2015, 02:14:08 pm »
+1

I don't think that'd work; tokens seem like they'd only trigger on the first play for Durations, so they're useless on Hireling. At least, the on-play ones Teacher gives.

Hey, we've circled back around to talking about Duration rules!

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »
+1

Oh right. "This stays in play." works differently than if I had Princed a +Cards. I've been using Prince as a comparison.  :-X

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:41 pm »
+1

I once drew a hand of 2 Hirelings and some other terminal, and no Villages, right after I'd put my Teacher on the Tavern. So I put the +1 Action token on Hireling, just so I could play my 3 terminals that turn. Moved the token the next time I got Teacher. Not sure if it was the right move, but it was great.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:20 pm »

Oh right. "This stays in play." works differently than if I had Princed a +Cards. I've been using Prince as a comparison.  :-X

Oh man, but tokens on whatever card you've princed would be awesome.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »

I once drew a hand of 2 Hirelings and some other terminal, and no Villages, right after I'd put my Teacher on the Tavern. So I put the +1 Action token on Hireling, just so I could play my 3 terminals that turn. Moved the token the next time I got Teacher. Not sure if it was the right move, but it was great.

This was against me! I lost horribly IIRC
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:45 pm »

This was against me! I lost horribly IIRC

Yes, you went heavy Gear.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2015, 07:25:54 pm »

Here's a completely different Duration question.

I'm under the effects of a Haunted Woods attack. After playing what I can, my hand consists of four Curses, but I have an extra Buy, so I decide to go for Quest first to clear my hand. Can I choose to discard six cards, attempt to, and fail, but in the process discard all four of my Curses? Or do I have to stop after discarding the second Curse?

Alternatively, say my hand has four Curses but also an Estate. If I discard the Estate first, does that affect recognizing that I've discarded two Curses if there's any such recognition, since there's an Estate discarded as well?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »

Here's a completely different Duration question.

I'm under the effects of a Haunted Woods attack. After playing what I can, my hand consists of four Curses, but I have an extra Buy, so I decide to go for Quest first to clear my hand. Can I choose to discard six cards, attempt to, and fail, but in the process discard all four of my Curses? Or do I have to stop after discarding the second Curse?

Alternatively, say my hand has four Curses but also an Estate. If I discard the Estate first, does that affect recognizing that I've discarded two Curses if there's any such recognition, since there's an Estate discarded as well?

This is a question about Quest, not about durations. :P

It's ambiguous from the event text and the FAQ, but I would expect that you can choose to discard 6 and fail.  Ask Donald!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
+4

You can pick "discard 6," do as much as you can (discarding 4 cards), and then fail the "if you do" (gaining nothing).

When you decide to discard 6, you can discard them in any order; it won't affect the fact that you fail to discard 6 and don't get a Gold. If you decide to discard 2 Curses, you can't discard an Estate, only Curses.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:28 pm »
+2

So with nothing but 2 Curses in hand, and under Haunted Woods, if you don't want a Gold because your deck is best without any treasures, you can buy Quest to discard 6 cards instead of buying Quest to discard 2 Curses.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:50 pm »

So with nothing but 2 Curses in hand, and under Haunted Woods, if you don't want a Gold because your deck is best without any treasures, you can buy Quest to discard 6 cards instead of buying Quest to discard 2 Curses.

Dominion Online's gonna need a hell of a lot of buttons.

Can you choose to discard an Attack or two Curses without having either in your hand?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »
+2

Dominion Online's gonna need a hell of a lot of buttons.

Can you choose to discard an Attack or two Curses without having either in your hand?
Are you asking about this because it sounds like it can't be right? You pick what you are doing and then try to do it. You can similarly choose to trash 2 cards from your hand with Mercenary without 2 cards in hand. In that case you trash as many as you can, then fail to get the benefit.

Quest has 3 options but doesn't say "choose one." I try to use the best phrasings I can.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2015, 02:33:23 pm »
+2

Okay, so in other words, where Quest says "[You may do one of these three things.] If you do…", the "if you do" means "if you do [the one of these things that you chose]", not "if you do [any one of the things, even if you chose to do a different one]". Right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.