Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 3266 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Supplements
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »

So even though we're a community of nerds, I know some of us to physical things.  As I've mentioned before, I play volleyball (fairly regularly; 1-3 nights a week in leagues/practice and then tournaments on the weekend, maybe 2 a month).  I also lift in the gym to stay in shape for (and be better at) volleyball.  So a couple weeks ago I was at a tournament, and I didn't get a whole lot of sleep, had worked out (legs, nonetheless) the night before and played volleyball 3 other nights that week.  So my legs were shot and everything was tight, and I could not stretch out, and my performance was just bad.  I was sluggish moving and jumping, and my timing was all off for hitting. 

About halfway through the day one of my teammates offered this little chew thing she brought.  Turns out it was glutamine.  The next match the pain started going away from my legs, and by the end of the tournament I felt energized and felt like I could even keep playing.

Anyone ever take glutamine?  It seems like a miracle supplement from my experience.  I take protein powder after workouts, but not too much else other than vitamins.  The following week (I guess it was last week), I went out to GNC and bought the glutamine chews, as well as some creatine chews.  I've definitely been less sore and able to be more active with taking the glutamine daily.  Creatine seems to give me more power/energy as well.  Though I feel like my body gets hot really quickly when I take it, and I worry a bit that I may push myself to an injury without realizing it.

Anyway, anyone have good/bad experiences with supplements for working out or general athletic performance?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:50:28 pm »
+1

Glutamine is just an amino acid. I didn't know those were considered supplements.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »

Glutamine is just an amino acid. I didn't know those were considered supplements.

Most supplements are amino acids.  Supplements because you're taking them beyond the normal amount you get in your diet.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »

I've never taken any workout related supplements besides Whey protein and I'm off that now. I'm slowly but surely going as natural as I can, eliminating chemicals and GMOs where I can. I personally think the focus on protein in the athletic world is really overblown and as long as you're getting in enough calories you're getting all the protein you need. Yes certain supplements will make you feel better or energize you temporarily but keeping your body as clean as you can will ensure that it functions as well as it can.

Pushing yourself too much is a concern but I think in general people tend to undertrain rather than overtrain. You probably know this but the more your work out on a consistent basis, the less sore you'll be. Stretching your whole body is very important and yoga and meditation are awesome for flexibility, centering, focus, and energy. Also a foam roller after a leg workout works wonders. And of course it all comes back to what you put into your body. Things like fresh green juice, bananas, oranges, nuts, etc. will you plenty of energy.

The only supplements I take right now are a complex C and a probiotic. I'm looking into a complex B or fish oil also.

EDIT: Oh and DRINK MORE WATER!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:33:21 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »
+6

From everything I've read that was reasonably credible, the science behind supplements is extremely dubious and their primary side effect is expensive urine.

I'm slowly but surely going as natural as I can, eliminating chemicals and GMOs where I can.

"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »
+2

Via WP:

In catabolic states of injury and illness, glutamine becomes conditionally essential (requiring intake from food or supplements).[9] Glutamine has been studied extensively over the past 10–15 years, and has been shown to be useful in treatment of injuries, trauma, burns, and treatment-related side effects of cancer, as well as in wound healing for postoperative patients. Glutamine is also marketed as a supplement used for muscle growth in weightlifting, bodybuilding, endurance, and other sports. Evidence indicates glutamine, when orally loaded, may increase plasma HGH levels by stimulating the anterior pituitary gland.[10]

Glutamine is also known to have various side effects in reducing healing time after operations. Hospital-stay times after abdominal surgery can be reduced by providing parenteral nutrition regimens containing high amounts of glutamine to patients. Clinical trials have revealed patients on supplementation regimens containing glutamine have improved nitrogen balances, generation of cysteinyl-leukotrienes from polymorphonuclear neutrophil granulocytes, and improved lymphocyte recovery and intestinal permeability (in postoperative patients), in comparison to those that have no glutamine within their dietary regimen, all without any side effects.[14]

So... there seems to be some evidence (those references are to journal articles) that glutamine can help with healing and HGH stimulation.  That said, what you describe sounds very like a placebo effect.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »

It was absolutely not a placebo effect.. placebos just don't have that kind of immediate kind of correlative relationship.  I went from legs being so tight and muscles being so sore to feeling fresh and loose within about 30 minutes.  I also didn't really expect it to do anything, and hadn't done any reading up on it.

These things tend to be much more effective if you're somehow lacking the thing they provide.  (All these things you get in some levels through your diet, or are produced by the body.)  So if you get enough of whatever through your regular diet, the supplement wouldn't make much of a difference.

Some of these supplements, however, really do work.  Though probably only if you're pushing your body kind of extreme.. like working out/playing sports almost every day.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »
+1

I went from legs being so tight and muscles being so sore to feeling fresh and loose within about 30 minutes.

This is exactly what makes it sound like a placebo effect.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »

I don't think placebo effects are really this extreme in every day life. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:06:55 pm »

They can be.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »
+6

I use extra strength placebos sometimes, but not too often because then I might build up a resistance to them, you know?

I'm also considering switching to a generic placebo brand to save money, but I'm worried that they would be less effective.  Anybody have recommendations?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »

They can be.

It's very hard to argue against someone saying something is a placebo without rigorous research, but in this case I'm very confident it was not.  There seems to be a general consensus that glutamine has this effect.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 11:13:34 pm »

They can be.

It's very hard to argue against someone saying something is a placebo without rigorous research, but in this case I'm very confident it was not.  There seems to be a general consensus that glutamine has this effect.

If you'll read the thread, I didn't say it was a placebo.  I even linked (indirectly) research supporting the proposition that it's not one.

All I'm saying is that your personal response to it, including the acute and dramatic response, sounds like a placebo effect.

Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing.  If the glutamine is helping you with your workout/sport, then by all means you should keep using it, assuming you're not spending huge sums of money for it.  If it works then it technically doesn't matter if it's a placebo or not!

OTOH, this stuff goes for 50 cents a gram for ultra-pure reagent grade powder.  If you're spending more than a buck for 1000 mg, you're getting ripped off horribly.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:05 pm »

Ah, well I probably misinterpreted.  I'm also probably exaggerating some.  But I'd recommend anyone that's constantly sore from workouts/exercise to try glutamine.  For me my legs are almost always like this because I'm either jumping on lifting.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 20 queries.