Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Really grinds my gears.. Has this ever happened to you?  (Read 6343 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Really grinds my gears.. Has this ever happened to you?
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:08 am »

So I'm at 5000 pro rating, playing this guy with 2900. I WON this game 11 to -4 by absolutely crushing this guy with torturer, merchant guild, and some sort of cheap village (and chapel I think). I suggested this guy just resign after my second round of drawing my whole hand with 4-5 torturers and 2 merchant guilds.

And he does.

The rating screen takes unusually long to load, and after it does I notice it deducted me 54 rating. Thanks..

I sent an email via MakingFun's submit a report page and they got back to me saying that they are not able to adjust ratings. I also didn't get a screenshot because I clicked to the lobby before I realized what had happened. Nonetheless, as final score is not a factor to determine rating, this is obviously a glitch. I'm just posting this to vent a little.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Really grinds my gears.. Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:02:52 am »
+3

I'm pretty sure this is a feature, not a bug.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:14 am »

Yeah, that happens when you play against people with very low ratings, and it's supposed to happen too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:45 am »

The display of negative rating changes after a win is rather mysterious.  I believe that the explanation is something like the following.  The rating is a conservative estimate of how good the system thinks you are.  So to maintain a rating of 5000 you have to provide consistent evidence that you are at least that good.  Beating a low ranked player provides only weak evidence about your current skill, so the worst case estimate is shifted down slightly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:15:05 am »

I recall a post going somewhat like

imagine if you have no rating yet. then you play a guy with a 6k rating, and the system estimates your rating on 5000 (for whatever reason, it doesn't make any sense to think that you're good because you lost against a good guy but whatever, that's just my comment on it), then you beat a guy with a 3k rating, and the system now thinks, hey you won vs 3k but lost with 6k -> let's put your rating in the middle, at 4,5k. and woosh, your rating went 500 down by losing.

that was by some guy on the goko staff about losing rating to wins.

it's entirely possible also that it was just an annotation bug though, and that, in truth, you did gain rating.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:26:39 am »
+5

imagine if you have no rating yet. then you play a guy with a 6k rating, and the system estimates your rating on 5000 (for whatever reason, it doesn't make any sense to think that you're good because you lost against a good guy but whatever, that's just my comment on it), then you beat a guy with a 3k rating, and the system now thinks, hey you won vs 3k but lost with 6k -> let's put your rating in the middle, at 4,5k. and woosh, your rating went 500 down by losing.

When I first read that post I was fully convinced the guy was trolling...

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:29:58 am »

it's entirely possible also that it was just an annotation bug though, and that, in truth, you did gain rating.

This was the explanation that some guy at goko gave that made zero sense. The real explanation is that TrueSkill (which is what MF/goko uses) has a skill parameter (mu) and an uncertainty parameter (sigma). The rating displayed is mu-x*sigma. In order to update your rating, whenever you play a game your uncertainty is increased somewhat. If your increase in mu from a win is smaller than x*(your increase in sigma), then your displayed rating will decrease. I would argue that this is sort of a bug in TrueSkill, since your uncertainty for someone's skill shouldn't really increase when they play a game, but ah well, it is the way the system is able to allow for changes in mu. It is the correct behaviour for the system and the system is reasonably good (until/unless WanderingWinder reveals his personal rating system, we'll probably just have to make do with TS).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:14:35 am »
+5

There are also errors in the rating displays. Simple as that. Sometimes it corrects after the next match as it held the right value but was displaying the wrong one.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:21:41 am »
+1

There are also errors in the rating displays. Simple as that. Sometimes it corrects after the next match as it held the right value but was displaying the wrong one.

This. I am positive that the rating displayed on the page that shows the +- thing can be different than the rating displayed in the lobby immediately after (I have noticed it a couple of times when one of the numbers was memorable, like 5678 or something). If the way the system gets your previous rating and your new rating is not consisted and mediated by some sort of racing condition, it is likely that the "point difference" it calculates is basically meaningless.

My advice, as usual, is to not care about rating. Especially Goko's rating.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »

What irks me is that my rating seems to drop 100 a day regardless.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »
+4

I suggested this guy just resign after my second round of drawing my whole hand with 4-5 torturers and 2 merchant guilds.

How is nobody commenting on this yet? If anything in your post grinds my gears, it is this. Am I the only one who thinks it's super rude to say "Hey man, I'm beating you really badly, but I'm getting tired of clicking on cards, can you just leave?"

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »

How is nobody commenting on this yet? If anything in your post grinds my gears, it is this. Am I the only one who thinks it's super rude to say "Hey man, I'm beating you really badly, but I'm getting tired of clicking on cards, can you just leave?"

That would be super mega ultra plus-rude, but maybe that is not what happened.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:31 pm »
+1

I sometimes say "you don't have to sit through this...", because I know some people think they have to stay for my sake. No idea why anyone would think such a thing, but they do.

so, if he said it like that, I don't think it's BM. It all depends on how you say it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
+2

I sometimes say "you don't have to sit through this...", because I know some people think they have to stay for my sake. No idea why anyone would think such a thing, but they do.

so, if he said it like that, I don't think it's BM. It all depends on how you say it.

That phrase also sounds smug. Probably any phrase implying you are clearly winning does. However, if the opponent makes a comment regarding he being lost and/or bored, suggesting or reminding the quitting option may be ok.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 05:30:47 am »

That phrase also sounds smug. Probably any phrase implying you are clearly winning does. However, if the opponent makes a comment regarding he being lost and/or bored, suggesting or reminding the quitting option may be ok.

"Honestly if it was in your situation, which I am every other time, I would just resign right now."
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 10:13:05 am »
+3

"Honestly if it was in your situation, which I am every other time, I would just resign right now."
I don't think "you're literally the only player bad enough to lose to me" comes off very well either. :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 01:21:12 am »

I'd probably go something like "Just FYI, I'm not one of those guys who finds resigning to be rude; so up to you." But it's almost impossible to say without any possible offense.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 08:33:20 am »
+2

I just say "you can resign if you want" if my opponent says that he can't win or something. Otherwise I just shut up.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 02:18:34 pm »

Yeah, that happens when you play against people with very low ratings, and it's supposed to happen too.

Highly doubtful. Did they expect me to sit there kicking people out hoping someone good will join?

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »
+5

Highly doubtful. Did they expect me to sit there kicking people out hoping someone good will join?

I wouldn't think they expected most of the consequences of their system.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.