Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288563 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #5950 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:34 pm »

Not on a small scale.  But on a larger-scale discussion, you absolutely should take that into account.  Say you're planning to go fight a dragon with a 5-player team.  In your planning, you presumably have some idea of roughly how much damage your group can deal per round, on average.

And that average ABSOLUTELY includes the likelihood that you're going to roll one or two crit fails/successes.   You'd instinctively take that into account.

A similar principle applies here.  "On average I'll do a little bit of damage to my opponent's deck with my Warrior - that average amount is increased somewhat by the possibility that I hit my opponent's Warrior." 
The upside is so huge here that the overall "average damage" (as it were) is probably dragged up noticeably even if the likelihood of the event is small.

But this is a small scale. You have one chance of hitting something with Warrior before you want to turn it into a Hero, and in 90-93% of cases, it doesn't hit your opponent's Warrior. So if your opponent willingly gave himself a small disadvantage in order to prepare for his Warrior getting hit, 90-93% of the time he just has the small disadvantage and that's all it did for him (and probably around 7-10% of the time he still loses because he's still one shuffle behind you even if he has a backup Page going on). Obviously if you want the second Page for other reasons, you want it anyway so yeah.

If I was teaching Dominion to sentient computers, I would mention that when the disadvantage from getting a second Page instead of something else is almost negligible, as well as when you're already so much ahead that your opponent's only chance of winning is pretty much to hope for that small chance of hitting your Warrior, you might still want a second Page just in case your Warrior gets trashed. Unfortunately, we are humans and humans are garbage at estimating any probabilities so it's better to forget about these edge cases when you're actually playing the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: March 21, 2017, 01:03:36 pm »

In other words, E[X] = sum_x(x*P(X=x)).

P(X=x) can be very small, but x can be large enough (or can not be)  to overcome that.
But if we're talking about a game of Dominion, x has to be between 0 and 1 (assuming it indicates winning probability). Such an x is only ever large if your overall winrate is pretty low otherwise.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: March 21, 2017, 01:06:44 pm »

P(X=x) can be very small, but x can be large enough (or can not be)  to overcome that.
But if we're talking about a game of Dominion, x has to be between 0 and 1 (assuming it indicates winning probability). Such an x is only ever large if your overall winrate is pretty low otherwise.

That's true for all such x's in that interpretation, though.  Its contribution (i.e., weighted by the density function) to the expectation is what is important.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: March 21, 2017, 03:53:16 pm »
+1

Not on a small scale.  But on a larger-scale discussion, you absolutely should take that into account.  Say you're planning to go fight a dragon with a 5-player team.  In your planning, you presumably have some idea of roughly how much damage your group can deal per round, on average.

And that average ABSOLUTELY includes the likelihood that you're going to roll one or two crit fails/successes.   You'd instinctively take that into account.

A similar principle applies here.  "On average I'll do a little bit of damage to my opponent's deck with my Warrior - that average amount is increased somewhat by the possibility that I hit my opponent's Warrior." 
The upside is so huge here that the overall "average damage" (as it were) is probably dragged up noticeably even if the likelihood of the event is small.

But this is a small scale. You have one chance of hitting something with Warrior before you want to turn it into a Hero, and in 90-93% of cases, it doesn't hit your opponent's Warrior. So if your opponent willingly gave himself a small disadvantage in order to prepare for his Warrior getting hit, 90-93% of the time he just has the small disadvantage and that's all it did for him (and probably around 7-10% of the time he still loses because he's still one shuffle behind you even if he has a backup Page going on). Obviously if you want the second Page for other reasons, you want it anyway so yeah.

If I was teaching Dominion to sentient computers, I would mention that when the disadvantage from getting a second Page instead of something else is almost negligible, as well as when you're already so much ahead that your opponent's only chance of winning is pretty much to hope for that small chance of hitting your Warrior, you might still want a second Page just in case your Warrior gets trashed. Unfortunately, we are humans and humans are garbage at estimating any probabilities so it's better to forget about these edge cases when you're actually playing the game.
I wasn't really arguing that getting a second page just to defend against a warrior hit is automatically a good idea.

It's more that I object to your arguing style. But this is not news.

Hooray, pedantry!
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5954 on: March 21, 2017, 04:16:50 pm »

It's more that I object to your arguing style. But this is not news.

What's wrong with my arguing style?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »

That's true for all such x's in that interpretation, though.  Its contribution (i.e., weighted by the density function) to the expectation is what is important.

It think in theory, you want to do a min-max on the probability of winning.  I think it's called min-max?  You want a strategy that has the highest probability of winning against the best possible strategy that may be played against it.  In theory, you would need to search a tree of all possible Dominion games for the given kingdom, but that's computionally freaking impossible, obviously.  So instead you try to figure out something good enough and take heuristic shortcuts to whatever you can manage, and then you lose against Lord Rattington sometimes and omg I want die.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: March 21, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »

How likely am I to lose if I don't get another Page (perhaps because the Warrior died lolol)?

vs

How likely am I to lose if I do get another Page (perhaps because of too much Silver or terminal collisions or whatever)?

It's complicated, because we have to assume that you're doing everything else 100% perfect like a god except for that one decision.

This has been a(n - I think -) technically correct but 100% useless and impractical answer.  Good day.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:40 pm »

Getting additional pages increases the chance your warrior hits something interesting btw

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: March 22, 2017, 12:28:16 am »

Getting additional pages increases the chance your warrior hits something interesting btw

Such as the Silvers your opponent has from also buying too many Pages.

(Page is complicated!)   :-[

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: April 09, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »
+22

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: April 13, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: May 07, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »
+26

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: May 10, 2017, 11:56:37 am »
+9

Roses are red.
Wine is for pleasure.
Lord Rattington always
misplays his alt-treasure.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: June 26, 2017, 05:21:42 pm »
+13

Talking about the german version of Empires
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:09 am »

My brain is microscopic.  I put alt VP in with regular VP by cost in addition to the rest of the small-brain stuff.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:45:28 am by Minotaur »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: August 03, 2017, 04:41:55 pm »
+5

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »
+10

Oh hey look took me long enough

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:40:08 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: September 17, 2017, 02:52:55 am »
+2

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:33 pm »
+17

My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: September 27, 2017, 07:16:52 am »
+11

You've heard of the Elf on top of the Shelf?
Now get ready for:

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: September 29, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »
+4

I have sigs off.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: September 29, 2017, 07:06:47 pm »
+8

We'll need an even more impressive brain for "Don't buy Rebuild."

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: October 02, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »
+2

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: October 02, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »
+4

I recently played Rebuild naming "Tactician" which hit an unexpected green card - not the most tactical of plays

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »
+8

I recently played Rebuild naming "Tactician" which hit an unexpected green card - not the most tactical of plays

You should try trashing all your green cards and then naming Chancellor.  You won't be disappointed by the result.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.