Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2295852 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #5675 on: June 28, 2016, 06:50:28 pm »
+9

EDIT:  Would it be funnier if the second line weren't there to explain the joke?  Or just harder to get?  The key word "again" would be left as the hint.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:09:02 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:07:46 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: June 28, 2016, 07:36:36 pm »
+1

Though I will say, bad news patrician is a better idea for it.

This is probably why they left the graphical error in the manual.  Otherwise, he would still be Philosopher Patrician.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: June 29, 2016, 02:11:32 pm »

EDIT:  Would it be funnier if the second line weren't there to explain the joke?  Or just harder to get?  The key word "again" would be left as the hint.

I don't get it even with the explanation.... is it just that a player can forget to exchange his Page when discarding?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »
+1

I don't get it even with the explanation.... is it just that a player can forget to exchange his Page when discarding?

Exactly.  Patrician is announcing the arrival of Page back into your hand, which is the point you realize you forgot to Exchange on your last shuffle.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
+1

I thought Page was drawn dead.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:35 pm »
+1

I thought it was a sad and frustrated Page who reached the dead end of their career as an insignificant assistant to the Warriors, even though they would do a great job at hunting after tremendously precious treasures if they only got a chance by their master. (Their self-worth would go up, too!)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: June 29, 2016, 06:09:58 pm »

Exactly.  Patrician is announcing the arrival of Page back into your hand, which is the point you realize you forgot to Exchange on your last shuffle.

Maybe some people don't have this problem...   :'(

(EDIT:  The joke assumes there is no +1 Card or +$1 token in the game.  +1 Action would become obsolete with Champion, and +1 Buy probably has better options.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:33:45 pm by Minotaur »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:13 am »
+2

Or if the Page came from the BM deck.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:26:08 am by Burning Skull »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:06 am »

There are many reasons you might see the Page you bought for a second time, but this was posted under the premise of "Bad News Patrician", and seeing a Page you intentionally did not Exchange, or were unable to Exchange doesn't really seem to qualify as "bad news".

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: June 30, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »

There are many reasons you might see the Page you bought for a second time, but this was posted under the premise of "Bad News Patrician", and seeing a Page you intentionally did not Exchange, or were unable to Exchange doesn't really seem to qualify as "bad news".

If you forgot to exchange your Page, then it's news to you.  If you're so perfect that you have to nitpick the joke over it, then good for you.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: June 30, 2016, 12:39:03 pm »
+2

If you forgot to exchange your Page, then it's news to you.  If you're so perfect that you have to nitpick the joke over it, then good for you.

???

I'm not nitpicking the joke... I got the joke.

I am nitpicking the people suggesting reasons you would keep your Page on purpose, which would make that Page being back not news to you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:40:17 pm by Deadlock39 »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5687 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »
+3

Probably this joke doesn't make as much sense to people who have only played Adventures online. Irl, it's very common to have that feeling of seeing a Traveller in your hand and thinking "shoot, I forgot to upgrade this".

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: June 30, 2016, 12:43:13 pm »

Ok, sorry.  This is like three iterations of each person not understanding the one before at this point.  That's a little too meta for me.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: June 30, 2016, 12:45:21 pm »

Probably this joke doesn't make as much sense to people who have only played Adventures online. Irl, it's very common to have that feeling of seeing a Traveller in your hand and thinking "shoot, I forgot to upgrade this".

The online-only case didn't occur to me.  I always just assume that comments are coming from the point of view of a smug pedant who never makes mistakes.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: June 30, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »

While we're on the topic, do you think Actual Advice Mallard would advise us to play Travelers:

1.  Sideways
2.  In a second row, like a Duration card
3.  Both

?

I have made the mistake too many times and maybe this would stop it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »
+4

Ok, sorry.  This is like three iterations of each person not understanding the one before at this point.  That's a little too meta for me.

I don't know what you mean by this...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: June 30, 2016, 02:57:33 pm »

That is exactly it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: June 30, 2016, 02:58:07 pm »
+4

He's not talking about the mean case, but rather this outlier situation of so many people misunderstanding meta stuff.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: June 30, 2016, 03:10:49 pm »

He's not talking about the mean case, but rather this outlier situation of so many people misunderstanding meta stuff.

I think what you don't understand is that he was riffing on the situation as a joke.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: June 30, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »
+2

I think what you don't understand is that he was riffing on the situation as a joke.

What does musical comedy have to do with any of this discussion?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5696 on: June 30, 2016, 03:43:33 pm »

We have entered an infinite recursion of just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was...
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: June 30, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
+1

We have entered an infinite recursion of just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was...

Looks like there is some spillover from the Really Bad Card Ideas Thread.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: June 30, 2016, 06:14:18 pm »

While we're on the topic, do you think Actual Advice Mallard would advise us to play Travelers:
2.  In a second row, like a Duration card

This. It's a useful tip for any cards with clean-up effects, like Scheme and Treasury,

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: July 03, 2016, 05:18:18 pm »
+3

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.