Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288730 times)

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #5575 on: June 06, 2016, 11:00:11 pm »
+20

Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 06, 2016, 11:18:25 pm »

Donate? Is there something I am not aware of?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 06, 2016, 11:58:18 pm »

All the cards have been spoiled. And, Donate is busted

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: June 07, 2016, 01:29:10 am »
+1

Jesus, man, I can't update anything until the rules get released.
I mean you can, but it might not be very accurate. I'll take anything at this point.

After Rocks, I'll believe anything at this point.  Except for Jack Of All Of The Things Or Whatever.

There's a card that lets you lock yourself out from doing anything again after turn 1.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: June 07, 2016, 02:00:34 am »
+3

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:45 am »

So, is Messenger-Scout the counter to Enchantress now?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: June 07, 2016, 03:09:27 am »
+2

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: June 07, 2016, 03:20:04 am »

Jesus, man, I can't update anything until the rules get released.
I mean you can, but it might not be very accurate. I'll take anything at this point.

After Rocks, I'll believe anything at this point.  Except for Jack Of All Of The Things Or Whatever.

There's a card that lets you lock yourself out from doing anything again after turn 1.

Additionally, Tax looks like it was designed to let whoever has the craziest engine freeze the game.  There is some crazy bananas in this set, and I thought we were against that sort of thing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: June 07, 2016, 04:14:28 am »
+1

I only just now noticed the new page, and that I was hours late to this joke. :(  I think my version is punchier though. :P

Additionally, Tax looks like it was designed to let whoever has the craziest engine freeze the game.  There is some crazy bananas in this set, and I thought we were against that sort of thing.

No, you're not prevented from buying a card with debt on it.  The debt can slow you down, but it can't lock you out.  The player who is ahead will hinder themselves more than others if they start Taxing everything.

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: June 07, 2016, 04:23:19 am »
+13

Or we could build some castles to hide in.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: June 07, 2016, 10:27:25 am »
+1

Donate is not overpowered. All players have access to it. I for one love the event. So what if it's a must open? It's fun to play Dominion Engine on steroids sometimes. If it's fun and OP, I don't mind. The real crime is if the event is not fun at all.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5586 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:34 am »
+4

Donate is not overpowered. All players have access to it. I for one love the event. So what if it's a must open? It's fun to play Dominion Engine on steroids sometimes. If it's fun and OP, I don't mind. The real crime is if the event is not fun at all.

I'm pretty sure it's not a must open.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5587 on: June 07, 2016, 10:38:35 am »

What are you talking about? It gets rid of all of your starting cards immediately. That's like, all you could ask for from a trasher, right?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: June 07, 2016, 11:14:39 am »

What are you talking about? It gets rid of all of your starting cards immediately. That's like, all you could ask for from a trasher, right?

You don't want to get it instantly. You want to buy some cards first. You can get Donate any time, really.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: June 07, 2016, 11:28:07 am »

But it slows you down. For the sake of argument, let's assume Chapel and Donate are available.

Player 1 Donates in turn 1. In turn 2 he pays off $5 in debt, in turn 3 another $3 and a Chapel, in turn 4 buys sth for $5. So player 1 is left with 5 copper, a $5 card after turn 4.

Payer 2 buys a Chapel in turn 1, some $4 (or $5 card if lucky) in turn 2, trashes 4 cards in turn 3 and buys (possible) a Silver in turn 4. Player 2 has two Estates, the Chapel, some $4 card, a Silver and four Copper. (This would be with average luck, could turn out more beneficially or worse.)

So Player 1 has a leaner hand now, but still five Coppers, while Player 2 has two more cards to trash but an additional Silver, and a $4 to Player 1's $5 card. (Player 1 could decline the Chapel, but would be left without a plan to trash the Coppers.) I'd maybe open Chapel over Donate if there is a strong $4 card on the board and $5 cards are less than convincing, and seriously consider opening Chapel on a 5/2.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:29:55 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:40 am »

Exactly. The card is not busted. Edge cases aside, the event is balanced equally between all players. Everyone has equal access to the event and, with it costing debt, each player can buy the event at any time without worrying about opening splits.

Of course everyone is going to adjust their strategy in those limited games where Donate is in the kingdom, but isn't that the point of the game?

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5591 on: June 07, 2016, 11:33:01 am »

You don't want to get it instantly. You want to buy some cards first. You can get Donate any time, really.

I was being sarcastic. My intuition is that Chapel is still usually better than Donate.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: June 07, 2016, 11:48:14 am »

Donate kills Cursing attacks/Looters, too. In a game with no other trashing, I'll take a turn buying Donate to clear my entire deck of that 8/2 Curse split I lost, and lose little time for it. Donate is going to change a lot of things, and make even mighty Mountebank weaker.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:07 am »

But it slows you down. For the sake of argument, let's assume Chapel and Donate are available.

Player 1 Donates in turn 1. In turn 2 he pays off $5 in debt, in turn 3 another $3 and a Chapel, in turn 4 buys sth for $5. So player 1 is left with 5 copper, a $5 card after turn 4.

Payer 2 buys a Chapel in turn 1, some $4 (or $5 card if lucky) in turn 2, trashes 4 cards in turn 3 and buys (possible) a Silver in turn 4. Player 2 has two Estates, the Chapel, some $4 card, a Silver and four Copper. (This would be with average luck, could turn out more beneficially or worse.)

So Player 1 has a leaner hand now, but still five Coppers, while Player 2 has two more cards to trash but an additional Silver, and a $4 to Player 1's $5 card. (Player 1 could decline the Chapel, but would be left without a plan to trash the Coppers.) I'd maybe open Chapel over Donate if there is a strong $4 card on the board and $5 cards are less than convincing, and seriously consider opening Chapel on a 5/2.
If you open double silver and get donate turn three you can have a deck of two silvers and pay it off by turn 5 at the latest(you can pay off debt on the turn you buy it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:35 am »
+2

Donate enables Bishop Golden Decks big time, makes them quicker.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: June 07, 2016, 11:55:44 am »
+2

Why exactly are we discussing strategy in this thread?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: June 07, 2016, 11:56:44 am »
+5

Because Homage to the Best Card!

...wait, Donate is an event, not a card...

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5597 on: June 07, 2016, 12:06:06 pm »
+1

Would you rather we discuss obscure rules questions?  ;)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: June 07, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »

Donate should be better than chapel for almost all purposes:

Get three silvers in the first three turns (that's nearly worst-case, you probably get a nice terminal action and two silvers). Turn four get donate and trash 10 starting cards, paying off ~4. Turn 5 you payoff the remaining debts and have ~2 coins remaining with a deck of 3 silver or better. You might even be better off to not use donate until the third shuffle.

Chapel usually has ~3 silvers and four cards trashed by turn 5.

By silvers I mean whatever ~3-4 costs you want in the kingdom.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: June 07, 2016, 12:38:35 pm »
+20

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.